Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$79.96
17 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34
14 hrs ago
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Hammer Films: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.99

Wonder Woman 1984 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Rad (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 07-20-2019, 07:55 PM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Canada

2TB for a master quality is needed for HD. 8TB for 4K and 32TB needed for 8K. The cost of hard drive alone is far more than $200.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:57 PM   #22
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Canada
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzzzz View Post
No way in hell am I buying my collection all over again. My blu rays look GREAT on my 75 inch Tv....
If you think so, more power to you. You only forgot to take 10bit video, better chroma subsampling and the much larger colour gamut and HDR into the equation.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:08 PM   #23
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

I do not make arbitrary decisions like that which the thread title suggests. I look forward to seeing what the future holds. I will evaluate any new technology with wide-eyed wonder and an eagerness to see what it offers. If I am impressed, then I will have it. I am ever looking ahead, not back.
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (07-20-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 03:50 PM   #24
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I do not make arbitrary decisions like that which the thread title suggests. I look forward to seeing what the future holds. I will evaluate any new technology with wide-eyed wonder and an eagerness to see what it offers. If I am impressed, then I will have it. I am ever looking ahead, not back.
agree
Old 07-21-2019, 03:54 PM   #25
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

4k is probably it for me, seems like home media doesn't really need to go higher.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:06 PM   #26
Special Member

Dec 2010
Suburban Minneapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzzzz View Post
No way in hell am I buying my collection all over again. My blu rays look GREAT on my 75 inch Tv....
This, but also a lot of the movies I like will never see 4k or better. Honestly, it's a miracle many of them even made to regular old blu-ray. So that will stop me. Which is good.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:35 PM   #27
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman1980 View Post
4k is probably it for me, seems like home media doesn't really need to go higher.
I find it funny with statement like these (or worse, “bluray looks great”) as these statements are only uttered by people who have never seen master quality video

There is no amount of “k” will be enough until the signal itself can be saved in 4:4:4, 12-bit, and in (at least) frame-by-frame compression instead of GoP
Thanks given by:
MrMahn (07-24-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 05:33 PM   #28
Expert Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapiendut View Post
I find it funny with statement like these (or worse, “bluray looks great”) as these statements are only uttered by people who have never seen master quality video
Or possibly there are just people who do not require master quality video to thoroughly enjoy a movie.

Quote:
There is no amount of “k” will be enough until the signal itself can be saved in 4:4:4, 12-bit, and in (at least) frame-by-frame compression instead of GoP
I find it funny with statements like above because it appears they are so focused on the technology that they lose sight of the primary goal for most, enjoyment of the content.

Each person has to ask themselves, how much more satisfaction/enjoyment am I going to get with even higher quality presentation then what I currently have based on the cost of achieving it. Apparently many are okay with standard Blu-ray, which is perfectly fine.

Most people aren't financially set to go to the highest-end in all their pursuits. We all pick our spots. I have a designated HT with projection system. My neighbors prefer their Porsche and Mercedes.
Thanks given by:
Ernest Rister (07-21-2019), Jegærn (07-28-2019), MelzLife (10-31-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 05:46 PM   #29
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb View Post
Or possibly there are just people who do not require master quality video to thoroughly enjoy a movie.

I find it funny with statements like above because it appears they are so focused on the technology that they lose sight of the primary goal for most, enjoyment of the content.

Each person has to ask themselves, how much more satisfaction/enjoyment am I going to get with even higher quality presentation then what I currently have based on the cost of achieving it. Apparently many are okay with standard Blu-ray, which is perfectly fine.

Most people aren't financially set to go to the highest-end in all their pursuits. We all pick our spots. I have a designated HT with projection system. My neighbors prefer their Porsche and Mercedes.
Good post.

Speaking for myself, my space is limited, only have a 55" inch 4k/3D display. Until I can go bigger, a 55" 8k display wouldn't give me much benefit. That makes sense for very large displays or projectors, but a 55" 8k display? Unless I was siitting a foot away from it, I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference in resolution.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:52 PM   #30
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Again, I keep an open mind about new technology. I wait until I can experience it first hand before I make any judgment as to whether or not it offers any meaningful benefits.

I have seen so many improvements to our home viewing experience in my lifetime to date; I am more than open to further advancements. I am excited for the future of home theater.
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 06:08 PM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Canada
Talking

Quote:

Even with a 50” screen viewed from 10ft away anyone can clearly see that much of an improvement from uncompressed 4:4:4 video and frame by frame compression.

The same arguments have been given about HD (“my DVD looks great”) then 4K (“my bluray looks great”), yet here we are talking about the future improvements will bring.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:09 PM   #32
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Canada
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Again, I keep an open mind about new technology. I wait until I can experience it first hand before I make any judgment as to whether or not it offers any meaningful benefits.

I have seen so many improvements to our home viewing experience in my lifetime to date; I am more than open to further advancements. I am excited for the future of home theater.
And that’s the approach that should be taken by everybody regardless of topic and interest. Be it home theatre, car, or anything else.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:12 PM   #33
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Canada
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
Good post.

Speaking for myself, my space is limited, only have a 55" inch 4k/3D display. Until I can go bigger, a 55" 8k display wouldn't give me much benefit. That makes sense for very large displays or projectors, but a 55" 8k display? Unless I was siitting a foot away from it, I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference in resolution.
Once again people are stuck with the resolution argument. 8K has the potential for a wider colour gamut, 12-bit display, HFR, VFR, etc.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:45 PM   #34
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2008

Quote:
Once again people are stuck with the resolution argument. 8K has the potential for a wider colour gamut, 12-bit display, HFR, VFR, etc.
Not arguing, friend, just my POV. Better colors and more accuracy -- who would be against that, regardless of the display dimensions? HFR, though -- haven't seen anyone do something valuable with it yet. Not saying they can't, but audience reaction to HFR in The Hobbit films seems to have doused that fire.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:03 PM   #35
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Canada

Yeah, that Hobbit HFR is “SHIiTake mushroom” but HFR technology have developed much further. Seeing non CG based HFR at 120 Hz (test shots) makes me want to watch HFR more. Surprisingly 120 Hz footage looked more cinematic than the exact same scene but shot on a 60 Hz camera. Strange indeed.
Thanks given by:
Ernest Rister (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 11:31 PM   #36
Expert Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Even with a 50” screen viewed from 10ft away anyone can clearly see that much of an improvement from uncompressed 4:4:4 video and frame by frame compression.
I've had a 92" projection system since 2004. Again, it isn't whether I would notice a difference, but whether I would get any more enjoyment. Blu-ray wasn't even available when I built my setup. I was happy watching DVD. I was happier moving up to blu-ray, but honestly 4K UHD HDR is of no immediate need for the cost to upgrade and the little available content of interest to me.

The fact is, many of us just aren't pixel watchers, we sit back and enjoy the content. HDR may allow getting closer to the original film elements, but we've seen so many revisionists approaches lately, who knows what the original intent was anymore, even then originators have changed their mind over the years. I've lived without HDR up to this point, I'm fine without it.

And for me, I have a large enough collection of DVD that will never make blu-ray, and standard blu-ray that will never make 4K so is it really worth the investment for a small percentage of my overall collection.

Quote:
The same arguments have been given about HD (“my DVD looks great”) then 4K (“my bluray looks great”), yet here we are talking about the future improvements will bring.
And yet here we are with DVD's still greatly out selling blu-ray. There will always be threads talking about new innovations, but as each one of these new innovations has emerged with respect to media we continue with statements of contentment with what they have. The market drives the innovation with what is available, but I think less and less are purposely upgrading to meet innovation. I wonder how many people have 4K TV's because that is what was available, but never upgraded their player or bought 4K disks to take advantage of it.
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (07-21-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 12:06 AM   #37
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:

agree
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 12:26 AM   #38
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:

Quote:
I've had a 92" projection system since 2004. Again, it isn't whether I would notice a difference, but whether I would get any more enjoyment. Blu-ray wasn't even available when I built my setup. I was happy watching DVD. I was happier moving up to blu-ray, but honestly 4K UHD HDR is of no immediate need for the cost to upgrade and the little available content of interest to me.
we all need to decide where our money goes and some people have more of it then others. So there is nothing wrong with not spending money you can't afford.

But the issue with the with your posts are easily seen in the first part I bolded.

How can anyone with an open mind know how much more satisfaction/enjoyment they will get with even higher quality until they experience that higher quality (which I see as sapiendut original point)

As for costs I get it a real quality 4k projector at this point in time is still very expensive and limited choices so I can understand someone buying his time but there is no need to denigrate someone else just because they have the money. It just comes off as sour grapes.
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (07-22-2019), Steedeel (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 01:34 AM   #39
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas

Yes, but isn’t that what other members are already doing here? I honestly don’t see anything wrong with what they said and they made some valid points Anthony P. How much is too much? Especially when the industry isn’t backing it outside of the equipment and minimal content? It isn’t about what people can afford or quality, but what is available. Clanging sword to shield isn’t going to change that, no matter how loud one shouts.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:37 AM   #40
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2013
Tampa, Florida

My 1st TV was a 13" black and white....moved up to a 19" and then a 25" floor model color TV in the 70's. I'm at 4K HDR now on 3 different sets and BR players. I'm done. I don't think my older eyes can decipher any higher than that. Only way would be if 4K became obsolete by the next time I need a new TV.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology