Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Love and Monsters (DVD)
$11.99

Monster Hunter (DVD)
$17.96
6 hrs ago
Northern Exposure: The Complete Series (DVD)
$46.05
3 hrs ago
Pokémon: DP Sinnoh League Victors - The Complete Season (DVD)
$29.96

The Croods: A New Age (DVD)
$17.99

The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection (DVD)
$29.99

The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.: The Complete Series (DVD)
$9.96

3rd Rock from the Sun: The Complete Series (DVD)
$17.96

Courage The Cowardly Dog: The Complete Series (DVD)
$20.28

All My Life (DVD)
$17.99

Onward (DVD)
$10.00

The Boss Baby (DVD)
$8.75
11 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 09-03-2020, 01:55 PM   #21

Apr 2014
Southfork

I'm trying to figure out a watch order for Baywatch. My understanding is:

Baywatch Seasons 1-9
Baywatch Hawaii Seasons 1-2
Baywatch Hawaiian Wedding

But when do I watch Baywatch Nights? I know it's not considered the best show and given the turn it took in season 2 it may not even be cannon, but I'm giving it a watch at least once. Where do Baywatch Seasons 1-2 fit in the viewing order?
Old 09-03-2020, 03:11 PM   #22

Nov 2009
San Antonio TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ross Ewing View Post
But when do I watch Baywatch Nights? I know it's not considered the best show and given the turn it took in season 2 it may not even be cannon, but I'm giving it a watch at least once. Where do Baywatch Seasons 1-2 fit in the viewing order?
Nights aired concurrently with Baywatch starting with season 6.
Thanks given by:
John Ross Ewing (09-03-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 01:00 AM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOuttaBubbleGum View Post
SD masters for the entire series? Would be ideal; I've sampled some of the remasters on Amazon Prime, and they're a cropping-fest (nice as they are otherwise), sacrificing many, err, "objects of interest" in the precious screen real estate on the vertical...which usually falls victim when 4 by 3 series are framed to 1.78:1. Having an archival copy of the original broadcast format would be a great way to salve the sunburn, so to speak.

it's so annoying and ridiculous that they cropped it in to 1.78:1, especially for something like this, worse, they often leave like huge empty areas of sky on top and crop off key bits below, etc.

the remastering in HD looks so incredibly good it's ridiculous they had to mess it up then by not keeping it OAR! the editing and song changes are bad too (and the editing means you can't necessary just swap DVD audio tracks from Germany/(Australia? i still keep seeing contradictory info some insisting Australian DVDs are edited and with changed music and others saying only the title theme is changed) in. but man the raw image quality is a zillion!!!!!!!!!!!!! times better
Old 12-18-2020, 05:36 AM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisranger View Post
Hi guys. I know that Baywatch has multiple releases on dvd internationally but I'm curious to determine which ones are the best. I know that the american releases are the worst ones, since they have misleading titles (Season 1 is Season 2), edits and music changes (not even the theme song) and finally they are not complete. The uk ones have the correct tiltes but are full with edits,music changes and only a few season sets. On the other hand the german ones are so far the best, with complete season and series sets and as far I can tell zero music changes, plus some bonus features. Then I found out about the australian ones. According to the back cover they are region free. They have complete season sets and the theme song. I dont know if they have any edits or music changes. Plus the Baywatch Hawaii seasons are out print. I don't own any of these releases and I'm curious to hear from people who have them. Amazon reviews are a mixed bag at best. Any info will be gratefully appreciated.
OK, well I finally decided to check them out for myself since there has been so much contradictory info.

From the very few checks I've made so far, it appears as if the Australian releases (first AND the later re-releases) appear to use the original music other than for the title song for season 1 (although the Australian release may use the S1 title song originally shown in Australia.).

The Australian SD ones appear to be a different mastering than the German SD ones (at least on the few I've compared, with season 1 they even have a slightly different height and different edge sharpening, etc.). The Australian ones retain the original American titles while the German ones replace the title stuff at the start with some sort of German CGI replacements.

I haven't checked yet but someone said that in S1 they found a few parts on the Australian SD that actually seemed missing from the German SD S1.

So between this possibility and the original titles and both seemingly treating the music the same (other than different title music for a few early episodes).

For whatever reason S4 seems to be only available in the pre-2013+, non-Freemantle version for Australia. These discs seem similar other than each discs for each season seems to be just under 6GB while the S1,S2-S9 2013-2016 Freemantle SD Australia re-release seems to all have discs using over 7GB of data.

The Australian ones are in NTSC while the German SD ones may be in PAL.

Anyway, I still need to compare and look into it a bit more, but it seems like the Australian ones are likely the best bet for SD and getting as much original as possible (no cropping, no musics changes other than for title song part of S1, maybe arguably slightly better image and audio quality overall). I am comparing to the German SD copies on the German blu-rays not the German standalone DVDs though, maybe the German DVDs were a bit different? And, of course, for Baywatch in HD, the German blu-rays are the best since they are the only ones. Very unfortunately they are cropped and lose a lot of info at times and they are edited as well (although the pilot also includes a scene or two never shown in the U.S.) and have tons of music replacements, occasionally a touch bit starved in compression but man is the image quality amazing, miles more detail, so much richer color and depth and so filmic, other than for some compression issues truly upper eschelon for blu-ray!!!!!! If only they had treated them like they (Freemantle) did with Magnum P.I. and kept the original aspect ratio!

Last edited by WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW; 12-18-2020 at 06:05 AM.
Thanks given by:
elvisranger (01-02-2021)
Old 12-18-2020, 05:41 AM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012

Quote:
It's my understanding that they have all of the original music except for the theme, though it may just be the first season that doesn't have the original theme.

I can't find that complete series Australian set anywhere, and it doesn't look like Baywatch Hawaii and Baywatch Nights have been given separate Australian releases. I feel like I was late to the party again.
All of a sudden seasons 1-9 of the Australian DVDs showed up on Amazon.com individually new and sealed at really good prices (at least compared to the box sets that show up now and then or prior prices) like $12-$18 per season. I think they still have all seasons in stock. One slight word of warning is that my S2 had tons of defective discs with some sort of cloudy rot and only 2 discs worked. So far all the other seasons seem to have working discs although all but S1 have at least a few discs with a lot of scratches, but they seem to all play and load to hard disc without error (surprisingly), maybe the fact that the scratches are all circular arcs makes them end not being troublesome.
Old 12-18-2020, 05:59 AM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsy View Post
I want to start my baywatch collection, but I want it to be as close as possible as my watching experience back in 1990.
Here is Australia we had the syndicated version of the show, with "I'll Be Ready" Theme song. Which DVD set should I buy for season 1 that will be least cut and have this all important theme song to me?
Many thanks in advance.
Australia S1 SD uses Kim Carnes song for the title
Australia S2+ SD - appear to use "I'll Be Ready" song
German SD and HD S1+ - appear to maybe all use "I'll Be Ready" song
None appear to use the original title song for S1.

Last edited by WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW; 12-18-2020 at 06:12 AM.
Old 01-01-2021, 03:45 AM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012

Man the Season 2 Australia set is problematic. First copy had 4 of the 6 discs with a weird spotty, cloudy looking rot and those ones didn't work with only discs 4 and 6 working. The second copy had all discs looking fine but only the first disc working this time.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:27 AM   #28
Special Member

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW View Post
Man the Season 2 Australia set is problematic. First copy had 4 of the 6 discs with a weird spotty, cloudy looking rot and those ones didn't work with only discs 4 and 6 working. The second copy had all discs looking fine but only the first disc working this time.

Thanks for all your intelligence gathering on the Aussie sets, probably my go-to should I ever take the plunge on, say, The Yasmine Bleeth years. On balance, I think it'd be easier for me to deal with the loss of resolution than knowing generous helpings of cheesecake were sliced out of frame.

I was surprised to see Amazon both shipping and selling these sets; with any luck, the bad batch of year 2 will process through--it does seem to be low in stock at the moment, so maybe many unhappy returns?--and you'll get another shot at one somewhere down the road (or beach).

Last edited by AllOuttaBubbleGum; 01-27-2021 at 06:58 AM.
Thanks given by:
WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 01:54 AM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012

Quote:
Thanks for all your intelligence gathering on the Aussie sets, probably my go-to should I ever take the plunge on, say, The Yasmie Bleeth years. On balance, I think it'd be easier for me to deal with the loss of resolution than knowing generous helpings of cheesecake were sliced out of frame.

I was surprised to see Amazon both shipping and selling these sets; with any luck, the bad batch of year 2 will process through--it does seem to be low in stock at the moment, so maybe many unhappy returns?--and you'll get another shot at one somewhere down the road (or beach).

yeah i'll see if third time is a charm, if not, I'll wait and see
at least all the other seasons worked out (despite the scratches)

yeah it is interesting that Amazon.com started selling all the individual Aussie DVD seasons directly all of a sudden a couple months back, after they had barely been available if at all from even third party sellers or even on Amazon.au for quite a long time. I wonder if some warehouse or retailer somewhere went out of business and Amazon nabbed them up and found this pile of perhaps old stock?
Old 01-05-2021, 10:01 PM   #30
Special Member

Jun 2013

Quote:
yeah i'll see if third time is a charm, if not, I'll wait and see
at least all the other seasons worked out (despite the scratches)

yeah it is interesting that Amazon.com started selling all the individual Aussie DVD seasons directly all of a sudden a couple months back, after they had barely been available if at all from even third party sellers or even on Amazon.au for quite a long time. I wonder if some warehouse or retailer somewhere went out of business and Amazon nabbed them up and found this pile of perhaps old stock?

By the way, any known source of low compression captures from these dvds to get a decent sense of PQ?
Old 01-05-2021, 11:45 PM   #31
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012

Quote:
By the way, any known source of low compression captures from these dvds to get a decent sense of PQ?
no
I can make a few myself. Might be a little while though until I get it done.
Thanks given by:
AllOuttaBubbleGum (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 06:23 AM   #32
Special Member

Jun 2013

Quote:
no
I can make a few myself. Might be a little while though until I get it done.

Thanks, much appreciated.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:37 PM   #33
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwwf View Post
the Australian ones have the original music? no
Yes. Except title song (I'm only familiar with Season 1 set though).

Quote:
I haven't checked yet but someone said that in S1 they found a few parts on the Australian SD that actually seemed missing from the German SD S1.
Yes, the water-melon shooting scene in episode Snake Eyes (Season 1), and some insignificant 2-3 second bits here and there.

Quote:
and the editing means you can't necessary just swap DVD audio tracks from Germany/(Australia?
No can do.
There's some editing work needed to match those audio tracks. Sometimes less, sometimes more, but always needed.

Quote:
The Australian ones are in NTSC while the German SD ones may be in PAL.
There's no Pal speed up though.
It's "fake" Pal, that more or less match playback speed of NTSC version.

Quote:
I am comparing to the German SD copies on the German blu-rays not the German standalone DVDs though, maybe the German DVDs were a bit different?
Nope.
They're identical.

Last edited by Gieferg; 01-10-2021 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:50 AM   #34

Jan 2021

Hi Guys I too am looking to get The Baywatch DVD's with all original songs intact and no editing just like the TV broadcasts. I've read the German dvd's is the way to go but there are different versions of German DVD's and want to get the correct ones. Do the German dvd's have the 'I'm always here' song from season 2 onwards as I'm confused becuase I'm reading they have all the original songs except the main song.

And can anyone post a picture of the dvd covers so I know the right ones to get. I dont mind a box set or single season releases. Thank you all for any help.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:26 PM   #35
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Hi Guys I too am looking to get The Baywatch DVD's with all original songs intact and no editing just like the TV broadcasts.
There's no such edition as far as I know.

German DVDs have some minor edits (but the pilot is uncut) but they have original songs (including theme), Australian have title song replaced in season 1 and the pilot is cut, but the rest of episodes may be uncut.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:08 AM   #36
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyV View Post
Hi Guys I too am looking to get The Baywatch DVD's with all original songs intact and no editing just like the TV broadcasts. I've read the German dvd's is the way to go but there are different versions of German DVD's and want to get the correct ones. Do the German dvd's have the 'I'm always here' song from season 2 onwards as I'm confused becuase I'm reading they have all the original songs except the main song.

And can anyone post a picture of the dvd covers so I know the right ones to get. I dont mind a box set or single season releases. Thank you all for any help.
Other than for a different title song for Season 1, the Australian ones seem to be the closest to the U.S. broadcasts (possibly identical other than for the different theme for S1). The Australian S2 on Amazon though seems to have major problems with pressing/disc rot and I've been through four sets now and still only have 4 of 6 working discs out of combing working discs. Two of the sets only had a single working disc (the non working discs don't even get recognized and act as blank). All other seasons have worked fine though.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:12 AM   #37

Jan 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gieferg View Post
There's no such edition as far as I know.

German DVDs have some minor edits (but the pilot is uncut) but they have original songs (including theme), Australian have title song replaced in season 1 and the pilot is cut, but the rest of episodes may be uncut.
Thanks for the info. Glad to know the classic intro song, end credit songs and montage songs are all there on German DVD's. If you don't mind me asking are all German DVD's the same as some are boxsets and some sold per season. Do all German Dvds have the original musics? Box sets are quite expensive and I dont want to waste money if music is edited. Thanks again
Old 01-19-2021, 12:17 AM   #38

Jan 2021

Quote:
Other than for a different title song for Season 1, the Australian ones seem to be the closest to the U.S. broadcasts (possibly identical other than for the different theme for S1). The Australian S2 on Amazon though seems to have major problems with pressing/disc rot and I've been through four sets now and still only have 4 of 6 working discs out of combing working discs. Two of the sets only had a single working disc (the non working discs don't even get recognized and act as blank). All other seasons have worked fine though.
Oh really? Thanks for the info! Just so I understand the Australian ones have all the original music eg intro, end credits, montage musics all intact besides season 1 intro? How do I know they are Austrialian does it say it somewhere or is there a cover design I need to look for? Thanks again for help
Old 01-19-2021, 01:23 PM   #39

Nov 2009

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out a watch order for Baywatch. My understanding is:

Baywatch Seasons 1-9
Baywatch Hawaii Seasons 1-2
Baywatch Hawaiian Wedding

you can check it out maybe on imdb.com
Old 01-19-2021, 02:40 PM   #40
Expert Member

Mar 2017

The only, and I mean only tv series that was a success from altering the OAR from 4:3 to widescreen, and I'm not even sure how they did such an amazing job with literally no information being lost and much more gained was The X-Files.

That said Baywatch HD widescreen is the opposite. Horrible, and for a show that prides itself on babes, and bikinis, there is a lot of video cut where you absolutely don't want it to be.

I'll stick with the complete region free series on DVD.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies