Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

The Croods: A New Age 3D (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Dynasty 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Jaws: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Humpback Whales 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.50

Monster Hunt (Blu-ray)
$15.49

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

House of Wax 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89

Shazam! 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Bait 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.69

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players

Old 09-20-2020, 07:32 PM   #41
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIDEOgameDROME View Post
I just want Atmos/DTS X and Dolby Vision.

I'm sure if those two aren't included at launch, they'll push it later via firmware. I remember when the PS3 did not have DTS lossless and they corrected that months later via firmware.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:33 PM   #42
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2017

Since you brought up 4K and 3D, I'm curious if the PS5 will support 3D playback or not
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 01:45 PM   #43
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

Hopefully but i won't hold my breath.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:19 PM   #44
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
Hopefully but i won't hold my breath.
Nothing would surprise me given the 3d scorning done on an industry level, but heck, it is just software for them to enable it. Not magic hardware...
Old 09-21-2020, 09:43 PM   #45
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
Nothing would surprise me given the 3d scorning done on an industry level, but heck, it is just software for them to enable it. Not magic hardware...
Don't forget the royalty and licensing fees.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:20 PM   #46

Sep 2019

Well Sony owns the Blu-ray 3D license already. But I wouldn't count on it being included. The PS4, which I own, doesn't play UHD discs (Sony owned), doesn't play any burned discs of any kind (Xbox does) and doesn't play CDs, which Sony also Co-created. And as I recall, the PS4 didn't support 3D at first. Wouldn't surprise me if they never support 3D on PS5.

And off-topic that ridiculous slanted back so you can't get to the ports. As a media player I actually like the PS3 more and still have hooked up. But it doesn't play SACD's which I now have a few, oh well, also Sony.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:30 PM   #47
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Well Sony owns the Blu-ray 3D license already. But I wouldn't count on it being included. The PS4, which I own, doesn't play UHD discs (Sony owned), doesn't play any burned discs of any kind (Xbox does) and doesn't play CDs, which Sony also Co-created. And as I recall, the PS4 didn't support 3D at first. Wouldn't surprise me if they never support 3D on PS5.

And off-topic that ridiculous slanted back so you can't get to the ports. As a media player I actually like the PS3 more and still have hooked up. But it doesn't play SACD's which I now have a few, oh well, also Sony.
One-Blue

https://www.one-blue.com/about/
Old 09-21-2020, 11:22 PM   #48

Sep 2019

It's all under the BDA.
https://blu-raydisc.info/license-app/3dlla-app.php
and for hardware https://blu-raydisc.info/need-licens...facture-mp.php

Sony holds patents/licenses on Blu-ray and MVC but would depend on their contract.

This is just a feeling, not fact but I think PS5 will likely NOT have Blu ray 3D ability. They added it to the PS4 in 2014 but that was when they were still under license, I'm pretty sure. I read there was a new MVC license starting early 2017. And shortly before that Sony started shuttering all of its software editing solutions including Sony Movie Studio, Vegas Pro (sold to Magix) DVD Architect and Do Studio which all these programs had MVC encoding included. That was in 2016 and early 2017. Maybe they did not renew, only Sony Legal would know.

Would be interested to know if Sony's UHD players support 3D, that would be a good indication. If not, I think Sony pulled out of the 3D game long ago. Perhaps their licenses expired or did not renew.

Last edited by tomtastic; 09-22-2020 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:05 AM   #49

Dec 2016
Philadelphia

Quote:
It's all under the BDA.

Sony holds patents/licenses on Blu-ray and MVC but would depend on their contract.

This is just a feeling, not fact but I think PS5 will likely NOT have Blu ray 3D ability. They added it to the PS4 in 2014 but that was when they were still under license, I'm pretty sure. I read there was a new MVC license starting early 2017. And shortly before that Sony started shuttering all of its software editing solutions including Sony Movie Studio, Vegas Pro (sold to Magix) DVD Architect and Do Studio which all these programs had MVC encoding included. That was in 2016 and early 2017. Maybe they did not renew, only Sony Legal would know.

Would be interested to know if Sony's UHD players support 3D, that would be a good indication. If not, I think Sony pulled out of the 3D game long ago. Perhaps their licenses expired or did not renew.
All of their 4K UHD dedicated players also play 3D discs. But they market their 4K UHD players as being able to play basically any disc. The game console has a different focus so I can see them dropping it there but I guess it comes down to the cost. Really hope that they don't drop 3D as I plan to get one in a couple years and its never a bad thing to have an extra blu-ray player. But the PS4 Pro doesn't even play UHD discs which I thought would be a given before it was announced.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:19 AM   #50

Sep 2019

Yeah, I just looked on Amazon and on the back they have the Blu ray 3D logo, at least on two players that I looked at, but they were from 2017 though.

I was planning on selling my PS4 Pro because it isn't Pro anything really. I should have skipped buying the PS4. I waited almost long enough. But if they don't add 3D ability to the PS5 I may keep it as another 3D player.

Another annoying thing on the PS4 Pro is it can't play any lossless audio unless it's bitstreamed from disc. At least I have not been able to get it to work either in Plex or the DLNA method. Overall, I found the PS4 to be the worst Playstation release so far. Can't stand the slant design.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:56 AM   #51

Sep 2019

And then there's no mention of 3D on Playstation site. Only mention of 3D is 3D audio. Doesn't mean that it isn't supported but they only list 4K and all that.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:29 PM   #52

Jun 2011

Quote:
It's all under the BDA.

I have a Sony UHD 800. It plays 3D discs Great! I wish it was Region Free though. It played my burned converted Harmy's Despecialized Star Wars Trilogy discs in 3D fine.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:46 PM   #53
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Well Sony owns the Blu-ray 3D license already. But I wouldn't count on it being included. The PS4, which I own, doesn't play UHD discs (Sony owned),doesn't play any burned discs of any kind (Xbox does) and doesn't play CDs, which Sony also Co-created. And as I recall, the PS4 didn't support 3D at first. Wouldn't surprise me if they never support 3D on PS5.

The OG or PRO ? I am pretty sure the PRO plays BD-R as I tried not too long ago to run it on the PSVR but PSVR doesn’t resolve sidebySide 3D from Discs but the disc itself played fine.

The PS5 will support the current PSVR so it’s a strong chance it will play 3D discs.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:33 PM   #54
Special Member

Jan 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogofwar View Post
Are there 4k players that play 3D? If not, then it's probably a negative since the PS5 will have a 4k player.
Some (maybe all) Samsung UHD players failed to support 3D.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:25 AM   #55

Sep 2019

Well, I may have read that wrong on PS site.

Supported Discs:

Blu-ray Disc
BD-ROM*1
BD-R/RE (BDAV, BDMV)
DVD
DVD-ROM
DVD-R/RW*2 (video mode, VR mode*3)
DVD+R/RW*2
Hybrid discs are supported.
AVCHD is supported.
CPRM is supported.

Playback of these types of discs is not supported.
CD
BD-RE ver.1.0
BD-R/RE XL
DVDs that have not been finalized

Below it has XL mentioned and I must have missed that.

Although, I tried a couple BD-R discs of mine and they loaded but they would not function. Could not select anything on menu screen or play anything. I'll have to try with a few other discs.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:24 AM   #56
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
Phoenix, AZ

Quote:
All of Sony's UHD players released over the past several years support 3D, so I think you're over-analyzing this.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:01 AM   #57

Sep 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmcv View Post
All of Sony's UHD players released over the past several years support 3D, so I think you're over-analyzing this.
Not really. If Sony UHD players didn't support 3D? That would be a good indicator they've left 3D behind. That they've included it is a good indication the PS5 WILL have 3D capability. Not all UHD players support 3D.

I may have tested my PS4 Pro with a BD-RE disc. I checked with several BD-R discs and yeah, they play fine. I don't know why the BD-RE disc doesn't play either unless it's version 1.0. It loads, goes to menu screen and then I can't do anything with it.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:47 PM   #58
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2015

For everyone saying there's no reason for them not to include 3D because it would be easy, the cost is in them testing that it still works ok every time they update the software. So yes there's a good reason for them not to include this now niche functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Odds the PS5 will support PSVR and blu ray 3D in the PSVR? 10/10
Supporting it in VR is even harder because they also have to check that the VR module software updates don't break it. It's not a sure thing at all.

I think it's unlikely the PS5 will have any 3D support, either for Blu-ray or for the few PS4 games that had 3D.

The PS4 didn't even support 2D Blu-ray at launch. You had to download a software update for that. Not to mention 3D was only added over a year later, right when Microsoft added it to XBox One.

I really don't think they care about it. If enough people make a stink about it, maybe it will happen. But they see PS5 as a gaming machine. That's it.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:11 PM   #59

Sep 2019

It comes down to 2 or 3 things really.

Licensing, which Sony has patents in Blu ray 3D and MVC and had a license contract with that but we don't the length of that or if it was renewed, dropped, or indefinite. I tend to think it's indefinite because of their patents, but I don't know for sure just a guess.

Cost. If it adds cost they will evaluate whether to add it.

And then last, support: hardware/software. For instance PS4 can't play CD's since it doesn't have a laser that can read CD's only video layers. I doubt this specific example is much issue though since a Blu-ray 3D disc is basically the same as a Blu ray disc. But there could be some other support issue that prevents 3D being included.

Unless someone from Sony gives us an update I don't think we'll find out until the user reports come out. Don't get rid of that PS3 or PS4 just yet. Now you would think it wouldn't be that much trouble to just include Blu ray 3D support but this is Sony after all. They dropped PS2 support from the PS3 because of #2 on this list: Cost. They dropped CD support on the PS4 because of design and/or cost. No UHD support for whatever reason, maybe I should add a 4th reason: couldn't be bothered.

I would say for Blu ray 3D: don't count on it. If it's there great, but if it's not, it's not like it wouldn't be typical of Sony.

Last edited by tomtastic; 09-25-2020 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:25 AM   #60
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
It comes down to 2 or 3 things really.

Licensing, which Sony has patents in Blu ray 3D and MVC and had a license contract with that but we don't the length of that or if it was renewed, dropped, or indefinite. I tend to think it's indefinite because of their patents, but I don't know for sure just a guess.

Cost. If it adds cost they will evaluate whether to add it.

And then last, support: hardware/software. For instance PS4 can't play CD's since it doesn't have a laser that can read CD's only video layers. I doubt this specific example is much issue though since a Blu-ray 3D disc is basically the same as a Blu ray disc. But there could be some other support issue that prevents 3D being included.

Unless someone from Sony gives us an update I don't think we'll find out until the user reports come out. Don't get rid of that PS3 or PS4 just yet. Now you would think it wouldn't be that much trouble to just include Blu ray 3D support but this is Sony after all. They dropped PS2 support from the PS3 because of #2 on this list: Cost. They dropped CD support on the PS4 because of design and/or cost. No UHD support for whatever reason, maybe I should add a 4th reason: couldn't be bothered.

I would say for Blu ray 3D: don't count on it. If it's there great, but if it's not, it's not like it wouldn't be typical of Sony.
It would be such a shame with VRís natural stereoscopic lenses to not be able to enjoy 3D Blu-ray at a better resolution on next gen headsets with the PS5. A waste, if you will.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players