Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50
1 day ago
Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$63.50
16 hrs ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
1 day ago
Black Clover: Season 1 and 2 Complete (Blu-ray)
$149.99
1 day ago
Trading Places (Blu-ray)
$16.99
7 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Croods: A New Age 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.28
14 hrs ago
My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$33.99

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

The Croods: A New Age (Blu-ray)
$20.98
1 day ago
Mission: Impossible: The Original TV Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 11-28-2019, 03:34 PM   #1

Aug 2015
Default Question About Region Coding and Specs; Are These Blu-Rays Region Free or Region B?

The UK Amazon product page for the Blu-Ray set of The Sarah Jane Adventures Series Four ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Sarah-J...inkCode=xm2&m= ) says that it's Region Free and under 'Product Description' says "Blu-ray/Region All pressing." But above 'Customers who viewed this item also viewed', it says "Please note that this product will not play on US spec 60i Blu-ray players as the Blu-ray discs are authored to UK 50i specs."

This looks like a contradiction to me. Is it? If it's authored to UK 50i specs, isn't that the same as being Region B/2-locked instead of Region Free? Or is the note a mistake on Amazon's part, and it will play on US spec 60i players after all?

Also, the product page for Series Five ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Sarah-J...inkCode=xm2&m= ) says both "Region: Region B/2" and "Blu-ray/Region All pressing." And its page here on Blu-Ray.com ( https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-S...Blu-ray/34595/ ) says "Playback: Region Free". So which is it? Is Amazon right or is Blu-Ray.com right?
Old 12-16-2019, 09:53 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017

Some region A players can play 50Hz content. It is separate from region coding.

Both Amazon and Blu-ray.com are correct. It is a region-free disc with 50Hz content. It will play on some region A players, but only if they support 50Hz.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:49 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Penguin Infinity is right. It is a separate issue from region coding. It's more of an issue related to NTSC/PAL differences, which can effect some content on a Blu-Ray depending on how it is formatted.

For instance, a few years go I imported the complete series of Parker Lewis Can't Lose from Germany. It was one of their SD (standard def) on Blu-Ray releases, which basically lets them put a ton of content on as few discs as possible.

Thought it was marked as region free, I found that I had some problems getting it to work in some of my players. At first I also thought it was a region coding issue, posted about it on here, and had someone point out that the episodes are 50hz formatted. I looked up 50hz compatible players, and found that the PS4 is one that is compatible (I don't usually use mine for watching Blu-Rays or DVDs, which is why it wasn't a player that I tested it on in the first place). I tried it and it worked.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:40 AM   #4

Aug 2015

So is anyone familiar with my player model and whether it would have trouble with 50 hz discs? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...K?ie=UTF8&th=1

It says 60 hertz in the description, but could just mean its 50 hz capability isn't mentioned, not necessarily that it has trouble with it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology