Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Love and Monsters (DVD)
$11.99

Pokémon: DP Sinnoh League Victors - The Complete Season (DVD)
$29.96

Monster Hunter (DVD)
$17.96
22 hrs ago
The Croods: A New Age (DVD)
$17.99

Country Music (DVD)
$38.00
10 hrs ago
Ford v Ferrari (DVD)
$10.00
4 hrs ago
SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete Eleventh Season (DVD)
$7.99
1 hr ago
Courage The Cowardly Dog: The Complete Series (DVD)
$20.28

Feast of All Saints (DVD)
$15.97
3 hrs ago
VeggieTales: 25th Anniversary 10-Movie Collection (DVD)
$14.99
6 hrs ago
Night Court: The Complete Third Season (DVD)
$9.96
3 hrs ago
The Secret Life of Pets 2-Movie Collection (DVD)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 12-06-2019, 12:50 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
Default Dynasty (The Original TV series)

I'm not sure yet which distributor released it earlier this autumn in Australia, but today I found out by accident while browsing Amazon UK (double-checked for it on ezyDVD) that two-part mini-series Dynasty: The Reunion has had an Australian DVD release (a two-disc boxset).

Does anyone here have this release? I'm not expecting it to have been transferred to HD like at least the first five seasons of the original Dynasty TV series. All nine seasons of the original series were released on DVD in the States (along with at least the UK), but not Dynasty: The Reunion (does it have different rights holders?).
Old 12-13-2019, 01:34 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
Australia

Checked Deep Discount earlier this week, and they have a listing on there for the Australian DVD release of Dynasty: The Reunion.

Last edited by OceanBlue; 08-20-2020 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:37 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
Australia

Does anyone have the Via Vision release of Dynasty: The Reunion? If so, can you comment on the transfer and audio please. No sign yet if this will get a release in the States, the UK and Europe (correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited by OceanBlue; 08-20-2020 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:09 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Something I noticed in some episodes in the UK release of Dynasty: The Sixth Season (as well as in a couple of episodes in Universal's release of The Equalizer's first season), was zoomed-in transfers. There's no doubt that the first five seasons of the original Dynasty look like they were transferred to HD. Couldn't make my mind up when I watched the sixth season on DVD for the first time, whether the episodes were transferred to HD. I didn't mind it, as it was one of the episodes I was looking forward to seeing, but the feature-length "The Titans" was the only episode in the set which had a 'Last Time on Dynasty' recap at the beginning.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:38 PM   #5

Nov 2010

I've got the Australian release. PQ and audio is pretty good, certainly a lot better than for several of the main series DVDs (some of which look like they were transferred through Vaseline). If you can pick it up cheap on eBay like I did, it's worth grabbing.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (09-02-2020)
Old 09-02-2020, 10:56 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybearlondon View Post
I've got the Australian release. PQ and audio is pretty good, certainly a lot better than for several of the main series DVDs (some of which look like they were transferred through Vaseline). If you can pick it up cheap on eBay like I did, it's worth grabbing.
I know there can be various reasons why a release of a TV series, TV film or mini-series can't happen, but I've been puzzled why The Reunion has had a DVD release in Australia, but not in the States, the UK and Europe (maybe the rights-holders are different to the TV series?).

Thank you for taking the time to respond in the thread. It's very helpful. Have only heard from one fellow forum member about Via Vision's record on DVD releases.

The Reunion has it's good and bad points. One of the worst things for me was Gordon Thomson's absence. He was a long-running castmember on the TV series. Apparently (and this is based on what the announcer said over the end credits on the screening of one half of The Reunion on UK TV channel Channel Five several years ago), his agent forgot to tell him that Dynasty: The Reunion was being made, so it was too late for him to be in it (he was replaced by Robin Sachs).
Thanks given by:
Spasmo (12-30-2020), Swissangel4616 (12-23-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 11:05 PM   #7

Jan 2009
Montréal, QC
Default Dynasty Complete Series Box Sets

Is there a difference between the 2017 box set and the 2020 box set? Are the packaging the same?
Old 11-13-2020, 11:14 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
Is there a difference between the 2017 box set and the 2020 box set? Are the packaging the same?
Are you asking about the original series?

Last edited by OceanBlue; 11-17-2020 at 12:18 AM.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:29 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Decided to rewatch the original Dynasty series (watched this past Saturday night the feature-length pilot "Oil" (the total runtime in the UK DVD set is nearly two and a quarter hours). Needed to add a bit of glitz and glamour into my rotation of older TV series, with what's been going on these past eight months.
Thanks given by:
Canuck21 (11-20-2020), Mb37985 (11-16-2020), Spasmo (12-30-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 06:17 AM   #10

Jan 2009
Montréal, QC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Are you asking about the original series?
Yes, I'm talking about the original series. For some reason there's a more recent 2020 release. I wonder if there's any difference.

Last edited by Canuck21; 11-21-2020 at 11:17 PM.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 10:07 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
Yes, I'm talking about the original series. For some reason, there's a more recent 2020 release. I wonder if there's any difference.
I'd be interested to know if there's any difference between the two complete series releases. I doubt it (I'd like to be proven wrong though), but maybe they included Dynasty: The Reunion? Could CBS/Paramount have gone back and remastered the last few seasons (which apparently were not remastered)? I know with the original Hawaii Five-O and Vega$, they went back and remastered a season which hadn't been remastered for the original DVD release, and included them in a subsequent complete series release in the States.

Have got the separate season sets of the original Dynasty. However, I had to get another copy of the sixth season (probably my favourite season), because I lost my first copy, and that first copy had a slipcover. When the show was released on DVD in the UK, initial copies had a slipcover. All nine seasons were I think each released in half season volumes in the States, but in the UK they were released as whole seasons (ie. not split into half season volumes).
Old 12-11-2020, 12:44 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

In the past week, started watching Dynasty's second season (a slightly different show altogether, compared to the first season (which had a duller look).

Actors Lee Bergere and Lloyd Bochner (who were recurring guest stars in season one) are moved to the main cast/title sequence. James Farentino joins the main cast a few episodes into the season
[Show spoiler](but would only stay for the second season).
Debuting this season would be Dame Joan Collins, and Heather Locklear (the following season, she would join the series T.J. Hooker while still appearing occasionly on Dynasty).

Joseph Anders (played by Lee Bergere), at the beginning of the second season, is still being horrible towards Krystle. But over time he treats her with respect. It was a shame Bergere left the show
[Show spoiler](apparently he was sacked because he wanted more screen time).
Thanks given by:
Spasmo (12-30-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 10:06 AM   #13

Nov 2009

Still one of the most entertaining TV-Shows ever and great acting - big plus/part goes to Joan Collins of course.

I can watch this show over and over again - ok, season one is a bit hard to watch - and it season 7 / 8 have their low moments...but for the most: with all the events, dialogues, acting, costumes - it is still entertaining -

2021 it will be their 40th annivesary.

Glad having met the most of the main-cast incl. Joan Collins. Sadly no John Forsyth or not yet Linda Evans, Emma Samms.

Btw: Linda Evans will appearing this christmas in a german TV (ZDF) Serie called DAS TRAUMSCHIFF. it's her first acting role after longer time.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:15 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Started watching last week, the third season. James Farentino had gone, and debuting was Gordon Thompson as Michael Torrence/Adam Carrington. In the last two or three episodes, Geoffrey Scott and Kathleen Beller joined the main cast/title sequence as Krystle's ex-husband Mark Jennings and Joseph the butler's daughter Kirby respectively.

Also debuting recently (in a recurring guest star role), was Paul Burke as Congressman Neil McVane. In the latter of the two episodes I watched last night, Fallon held a Roaring Twenties party for her hotel complex La Mirage.
Thanks given by:
Spasmo (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 06:39 PM   #15

Sep 2020
Canada

Quote:
Joseph Anders (played by Lee Bergere), at the beginning of the second season, is still being horrible towards Krystle. But over time he treats her with respect. It was a shame Bergere left the show
[Show spoiler](apparently he was sacked because he wanted more screen time).
[Show spoiler]Until he tries to burn her alive

I know, I know, it was Alexis he was really after heh heh. Didn't know he was let go. At least he was given an actual exit as opposed to many other characters that just leave for no real reason.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 10:36 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmo View Post
[Show spoiler]Until he tries to burn her alive

I know, I know, it was Alexis he was really after heh heh. Didn't know he was let go. At least he was given an actual exit as opposed to many other characters that just leave for no real reason.
From what I've read, considering how many TV series Aaron Spelling was involved with, they didn't keep a tight ship on the writing at times. It wasn't just Lee Bergere who was sacked or written out (don't know if it's still in print, but there is a very good Dynasty reference book, which includes episode guides for it and spin-off The Colbys, whose title escapes me at the moment).

Catherine Oxenberg, who played Blake and Alexis' other daughter Amanda, and who was on the show for nearly two seasons, was sacked I think. Not totally sure about the reason for Kathleen Beller and Pamela Bellwood leaving (the latter was written out for some of the sixth season).

The bizarre thing about Catherine Oxenberg leaving (and this where I refer back to them not keeping a tight ship), was that the character had a British accent. The actress who replaced her in the seventh season, Karen Cellini, gave the character an American accent.

Later on, towards the end of the show's run, actress Terri Garber (who played Ben Carrington's daughter Leslie) left the show after the eighth season. The problem was, she disappeared with no explanation
[Show spoiler] (she was having an affair with Alexis' then husband Sean Rowan (she was last seen at a cabin, where Adam and (I think) Steven had gone to to rescue from Sean the surrogate baby which Adam and Dana (Adam's wife at the time) were going to have.
Only just recently watched an episode of Jake and the Fatman which Terri Garber guest-starred in (from it's fourth season, when the show was still in Hawaii).

I'm not sure why Christopher Cazenove left the show
[Show spoiler](after the seventh season).
I know several British actors were appearing on American TV shows at the time (they included Barrie Ingham and Ian Ogilvy). He was one of my favourite actors who appeared on Dynasty. Wish he had made crossover appearances on The Colbys, but sadly not.

And about what you said in your post Spasmo, yes, Joseph wasn't as nice towards Krystle at the end of the third season. However, like you say, he was after Alexis. I don't know if either soap opera knew what the other was doing for their end-of-season cliffhanger, but both the original Dynasty and Dallas did a cliffhanger the same season involving
[Show spoiler]fire (the fire at Southfork).
Thanks given by:
Spasmo (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 01:13 AM   #17

Sep 2020
Canada

Quote:
From what I've read, considering how many TV series Aaron Spelling was involved with, they didn't keep a tight ship on the writing at times. It wasn't just Lee Bergere who was sacked or written out (don't know if it's still in print, but there is a very good Dynasty reference book, which includes episode guides for it and spin-off The Colbys, whose title escapes me at the moment).

Catherine Oxenberg, who played Blake and Alexis' other daughter Amanda, and who was on the show for nearly two seasons, was sacked I think. Not totally sure about the reason for Kathleen Beller and Pamela Bellwood leaving (the latter was written out for some of the sixth season).

The bizarre thing about Catherine Oxenberg leaving (and this where I refer back to them not keeping a tight ship), was that the character had a British accent. The actress who replaced her in the seventh season, Karen Cellini, gave the character an American accent.

Later on, towards the end of the show's run, actress Terri Garber (who played Ben Carrington's daughter Leslie) left the show after the eighth season. The problem was, she disappeared with no explanation
[Show spoiler] (she was having an affair with Alexis' then husband Sean Rowan (she was last seen at a cabin, where Adam and (I think) Steven had gone to to rescue from Sean the surrogate baby which Adam and Dana (Adam's wife at the time) were going to have.
Only just recently watched an episode of Jake and the Fatman which Terri Garber guest-starred in (from it's fourth season, when the show was still in Hawaii).

I'm not sure why Christopher Cazenove left the show
[Show spoiler](after the seventh season).
I know several British actors were appearing on American TV shows at the time (they included Barrie Ingham and Ian Ogilvy). He was one of my favourite actors who appeared on Dynasty. Wish he had made crossover appearances on The Colbys, but sadly not.

And about what you said in your post Spasmo, yes, Joseph wasn't as nice towards Krystle at the end of the third season. However, like you say, he was after Alexis. I don't know if either soap opera knew what the other was doing for their end-of-season cliffhanger, but both the original Dynasty and Dallas did a cliffhanger the same season involving
[Show spoiler]fire (the fire at Southfork).
Yeah, I remember the fires on both shows at the time and thinking it was pretty funny.

If I remember correctly, I think Oxenberg was let go because she was having substance abuse issues. Cellini was an awful replacement. I know recasts are not that unusual on soaps but her style was so different it was quite jarring.

I believe Bellwood has stated that she was sacked because she got pregnant. But it also sounds like she was very unhappy and vocal about what they were doing to her character so that may have also been an issue.

I don't know about the others though. I agree Cazenove was great and a highlight of the later seasons. I was also annoyed they got rid of Kate O'Mara as I thought she was fabulous and a great foil for Joan Collins. I think they could have done way more with her.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 01:49 AM   #18

Jan 2012
Ireland

I have the German release. Complete series on a ten set blu-ray boxset. Obviously in SD quality but great for saving shelf space.
Old 12-31-2020, 04:03 AM   #19

Oct 2008
Smile

I’m glad I saw this thread, I didn’t know the reunion was available. Just ordered thru Amazon for $18!
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (12-31-2020), Spasmo (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 11:10 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Exp. View Post
I’m glad I saw this thread, I didn’t know the reunion was available. Just ordered thru Amazon for $18!
That seems a bargain, compared to the prices I've seen for Dynasty: The Reunion on various shopping websites (Amazon UK, eBay, ezyDVD and Deep Discount).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies