Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
17 hrs ago
Rubber (Blu-ray)
$6.99
8 hrs ago
Runaway Train (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 hr ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Monster Hunter (Blu-ray)
$19.96
17 hrs ago
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

Ultraman Leo: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99
14 hrs ago
Wonder Woman 1984 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Hammer Films: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 12-06-2019, 05:55 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Universal Studios Nobody (2020) -- Directed by Ilya Naishuller, starring Bob Odenkirk

I tried to do a forum and Google search to see if a thread already existed for this film, but alas, didn't find one.

Anyway, this might be a potential gem to keep an eye on.

Quote:
“Better Call Saul” star Bob Odenkirk has signed on to star in the thriller “Nobody.”

The Universal pic follows Hutch Mansell (Odenkirk), a suburban dad, overlooked husband, nothing neighbor — a “nobody.”

When two thieves break into his home one night, Hutch’s unknown long-simmering rage is ignited and propels him on a brutal path that will uncover dark secrets he fought to leave behind.

“Hardcore Henry” director Ilya Naishuller will helm with “John Wick” scribe Derek Kolstad penning the script.

David Leitch and Kelly McCormick will produce through their 87North banner. Odenkirk and Marc Provissiero will join Leitch and McCormick as producers through their Odenkirk Provissiero Entertainment. Braden Aftergood will also produce for Eighty Two Films.

“Nobody” is scheduled to hit theaters Aug. 14, 2020.

Odenkirk was recently nominated for an Emmy for best actor in a drama series for his work on “Better Call Saul,” a nod he has recieved three other times. The role has also garnered him three Golden Globes nominations. On the film side, he was recently seen in the Charlize Theron-Seth Rogen comedy “Long Shot,” and he will appear in Sony’s star-studded adaptation of “Little Women,” bowing this Christmas."
Source

As mentioned above, the action team behind the 'John Wick' franchise will be assisting on this film. Odenkirk is already undergoing extensive training with Taran Butler & his team, the people that made Keanu Reeves the bad-ass marksman he's become: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2hPum-n...ource=ig_embed while Odenkirk isn't shown shooting in that video, he is packing. They'll likely reserve footage of his training up until the film's promotional material kicks off.

Also, not to get lost in all of this, are the talents of Ilya Naishuller. While 'Hardcore Henry' didn't land for everybody--and I had my issues with it--his music videos are incredible. And there's no denying that some of the stuff he's employed in his videos, have actually been directly lifted by more prominent filmmakers. With this being a more traditionally shot film, this could finally allow him to utilize his full repertoire of filmmaking talents.

I generally hate doing the whole comparison thing. But if all goes well, this could be a potential sleeper hit for Universal--and could become their John Wick franchise.

Pretty eager to see how this one develops.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Odenkirk is great, putting him in an action movie is too weird not to be exciting. Never saw Hardcore Henry, though.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:02 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
Odenkirk is great, putting him in an action movie is too weird not to be exciting. Never saw Hardcore Henry, though.
It's definitely hard to see him in an action role after seeing him as Better Call Saul.

However, that's probably the point of the film's concept and title. He's probably the least intimidating person you'll see, easy on the eyes, but has a vast range of ways to kill you.

'Hardcore Henry' isn't terrible by any means. But an entire film shot entirely first person? Gets to be a bit much.

However, there are some cool 80s style genre images, great action, and some fun acting from the always under-appreciated Sharlto Copley in the film.
Thanks given by:
imsounoriginal (12-06-2019)
Old 11-13-2020, 04:17 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Quote:
"Bob Odenkirk rose to sketch comedy fame with Mr. Show. He switched gears to explore a tragic-clown character in Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, and has nabbed four drama-acting Emmy nominations (so far). Now he’s leaping genres and subverting expectations again — this time by breaking badass.

The 58-year-old actor becomes an improbable action star in the Universal thriller Nobody (out Feb. 19), playing Hutch Mansell, an unassuming family man who cowers and folds during a home invasion. His post-traumatic shame disorder reignites a long-cooled fire within, and he summons a secret lethal skill set for a revenge mission, only to see it backfire spectacularly and put his family in greater jeopardy.

Nobody boasts action cred behind the camera — written by Derek Kolstad (John Wick)! produced by David Leitch (Atomic Blonde)! directed by Ilya Naishuller (Hardcore Henry)! — but it slams down its lead actor into unfamiliar territory. Which is exactly what Odenkirk craved. “I get the s--- kicked out of me in this movie,” he says proudly. “I really wanted to go way far outside, like 180 degrees outside my comfort zone. Just commit to this guy, commit to his rage, and commit to his commitment to what he’s doing.” And when this violence addict who swore off the sauce two decades earlier indulges in a wild relapse, Odenkirk’s Hutch reawakens a treacherous enemy (Aleksey Serebryakov) from his days in three-letter agencies doing off-books deeds. “It’s not a clean, vengeful narrative,” he says. “It’s almost like collateral damage causes him more trouble than his initial problems.”

The seeds for Nobody — which also stars Connie Nielsen, Christopher Lloyd, RZA, Gage Munroe, and Paisley Cadorath — were unfortunately planted in Odenkirk’s own yard, as the actor and his family were victims of multiple break-ins. “I think I handled them well, but you can’t help but kind of wish you’d done more,” he shares. “I thought I’d just work with that dark energy to see if there was a story there.”

Odenkirk (who brought the idea to Kolstad and serves as a producer) also found inspiration in... Jimmy McGill. “It started with an advertisement for Better Call Saul in China that my brother-in-law sent me,” he says. “I thought, ‘Wow, they’re watching Saul in China! I wonder if I could do a film that could play around the world.’ Action-genre movies with strong, clear character drives and challenges play around the world. I’m in pretty good shape. I can get in better shape. They know me around the world as a character who’s striving, earnest, failing, getting back up again. It’s essentially an action lead without the fighting.”

Ah, yes, the fighting. Odenkirk trained for two years with standout stuntman Daniel Bernhardt, learning a melange of boxing, jujitsu, karate, and judo moves, and delighting in the camera-ready beatdowns. “The fist-bloodying fight sequences were as much fun as being in a comedy room,” he says. “I mean, I've never had that much fun since we wrote Mr. Show. It's a group effort. Anytime you see a fight sequence in a movie that has a bunch of people, as soon as they yell 'Cut!,' everyone laughs. There’s all this interaction and group problem-solving that goes on.”

Mastering martial-arts moves wasn’t the actor’s most daunting challenge, though. “The hardest thing to do was the lack of irony,” he reveals. “Scenes with high-concept feelings, with characters who are enraged or bereft, but there’s no joking in it. You don’t get to puncture the moment with a laugh or a wink; you have to just live in it. I’ve done some of that in Better Call Saul. But this is closer to a ’70s action movie — the lone guy walking the streets.” Bob Odenkirk as the next Clint Eastwood or Charles Bronson? Who would have thought it? Nobody.
Source

Old 11-13-2020, 04:54 PM   #5
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
UK

Pretty surprised, Odenkirk does look the part in those pics.
Old 11-13-2020, 08:46 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

He looks like Jason Lee from Mallrats in the first photo haha.
Thanks given by:
Chaotic (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 08:56 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2013
ME

Absolutely loved HARDCORE HENRY, so I'm 100% on board for this.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:01 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetieMan View Post
He looks like Jason Lee from Mallrats in the first photo haha.
He even sounds like him. I never noticed that.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:36 PM   #9
Expert Member

Aug 2017
Belgium

I'm not persuaded the Helmer of hardcore Henry can do 70's style grit, but I'm curious about this one.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:05 PM   #10
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2009

Thanks given by:
Creed (12-10-2020), notops (12-11-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 04:13 PM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

This looks pretty darn solid. The casting on paper doesn’t seem right, but it looks like he pulls it off in the trailer. Hell nobody saw Neeson becoming some big action star in the second half of his career with Taken.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:40 PM   #12
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
UK

Looks fun to me, granted I think we’ll be getting a tad tired of the John Wick-clones in the next few years.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:47 PM   #13
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2009
Denver, CO

Don’t mess with Father March.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:53 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2014

Odenkirk seems absolutely perfectly cast. The movie looks awesome.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:10 PM   #15
Blu-ray Jedi

Aug 2011
Not In The Movie Theater :(

Looks like a lot of fun.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:36 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Looks amazing.

Glad I kept tabs on this.

"Give me the ****ing kitty cat bracelet!"
Old 12-11-2020, 07:17 AM   #17
Banned

Apr 2016

This looks freaking fantastic lol Can't wait.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:45 AM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2013
ME

Looks fun but I expected something more insane and creative considering this is the follow up film by the guy who did HARDCORE HENRY. Hope the final product is worth it.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:47 PM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2015

The trailer actually blew me away. Was expecting something more humorous since it stars Odenkirk, but this looks really badass. I'm very much looking forward to seeing this.
Old 12-26-2020, 04:13 AM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

I just saw the trailer. At first, and at second and third, I seriously thought it was a parody of the tired "everyman with a past" thriller movies, working to pitch something else like trash bags or whatever. It was too funny. I was surprised when it ended up being an actual trailer for an actual film.

Then I saw this poster art:

So cheesy!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies