Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wasteland 3 (PS4)
$19.99

Destroy All Humans! (PS4)
$14.99

Train Sim World 2 (PS4)
$19.99

SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated (PS4)
$19.99

Assassin's Creed Valhalla (PS4)
$34.99

Mass Effect Legendary Edition (PS4)
$59.88
9 hrs ago
Watch Dogs: Legion (PS4)
$24.99

Iron Man VR (PS4)
$19.99

NBA 2K21 (PS4)
$69.70

Injustice 2 (PS4)
$14.99

Ys: Memories of Celceta (PS4)
$29.99
1 day ago
Street Fighter V (PS4)
$20.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Old 04-13-2020, 05:34 AM   #21
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2013
Chicago

Has the story ever been all that good? I don't see how the original trilogy's stories are that much stronger than part 4 which is a self aware goofy rescue mission.
Thanks given by:
Musashi (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 07:26 AM   #22
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

The story of the original trilogy isn’t amazing or anything, but it makes sense, and easy to follow, not sure what happens after that tbh

the story of 4 feels like it’s not in the same universe and the trash talk between Dante and the short villain is embarrassing
Old 04-13-2020, 01:43 PM   #23
Special Member

Apr 2011
Montreal

I agree. But i'd say this bad trend started with Code Veronica which featured awful John Woo style action scenes where Claire was now Neo. It was pretty awful. Res4 just continued that trend (and made it even worse).
That's part of the reason 7 was so good, it brought back the series to a much simpler story and no over the top slow motion action scenes.
Hopefully the Res4 is a complete reboot of that game and they tone down the bad dialogues and the excessive action.
Thanks given by:
Talal86 (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 02:30 PM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013

I'd rather them do 1/CV first (maybe both at the same time), but I understand 4 would sell more
Old 04-13-2020, 02:33 PM   #25
Special Member

Apr 2011
Montreal

At the same time, i'm happy that we have the whole Raccoon city trilogy remade on current gen (the remake of the first one is still outstanding, imo). I'm disappointed they are skipping Code Veronica and could care less about 4 being remade but i'm happy with what we got. I'm a lot more excited about 8 and the future of the franchise at this point.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:51 PM   #26
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2012
Miami, FL

Definitely down for a RE4 remake. Even better, RE1 remake!
Old 04-13-2020, 03:58 PM   #27
Special Member

Apr 2011
Montreal

It's funny because on one hand Res1 has indeed already been remade but at the same time that remake is 3 years older than the fourth game!
Old 04-13-2020, 04:23 PM   #28
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2013
Gotham City

RE1 def needs an update to play like the new remakes.
Thanks given by:
BladeRunner2007 (04-13-2020), fred25_Ca (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 05:03 PM   #29
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2009
UK

Potentially unpopular opinion: these 'reimaginings' are getting out of hand and are reinforcing the notion that 90s games are icky, unplayable, and are only worth anything if they've been completely modernised. If you're gonna do a respectful remake, gimme something like the Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy.

I've said it before, but the original Resident Evil game doesn't need yet another remake. It received one already in 2002, and it's since been gorgeously remastered and ported to current-gen consoles. But hey, if you don't wanna touch it because it hasn't got enough quick time events and forced walking simulations, then god help you.
Thanks given by:
Leonidas King (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 05:45 PM   #30

Aug 2018
Mechanicsburg, PA

I guess I'm okay with this news. As someone who grew up on the series starting with the first game, it took me a long time to appreciate RE4 because it was such a change in tone and direction. The original RE games took place in what felt like real life locations and then toppled ridiculous b-movie horror onto its characters (complete with evil scientists and giant crazy labs hiding in sewers and beneath mansions). Even with RE2 specifically, I always appreciated that the main characters weren't soldiers, they were regular characters with enough heroic attitude and gun finesse to be somewhat believable heroes. Of course STARS was something else entirely.

I also have to say that one of the things I love the most about early games is how you are so encouraged to explore and learn the various tricks and secrets of each room or area. This is why I totally agree that RE1 does not need another remake. While I am sure they could do a beautiful, updated recreation of the mansion, REmake already checks all of the boxes for me and I think it's not worth rehashing yet again. And the original trilogy are still totally playable and rewarding for those with some patience.

I have played RE4 several times over the years and it has grown on me. It still has the b-movie flair of earlier games but with more of an action movie focus. It's not so claustrophobic or scary most of the time (minus the freaky chainsaw guy and some night sequences which I do like), and the characters aren't that interesting, but it is fun. I'm down for a remake to see if they can somehow tie it a little closer to RE2 and RE3. Give the characters a little more humanity, make the scenery a little less open and ugly; I think the villages in particular could be really cool if remade correctly.

That is just my opinion...I know some people hold RE4 as the best in the series and it's hard to deny that it's generally a good game. If anything it introduced a new generation of players to the series and that's always a good thing. RE5 was just ridiculous (though fun in co-op) and I never bothered with RE6 despite owning it. I think RE7 and the remakes managed to ground the series a little and return the franchise to its horror roots and that's why I think an RE4 remake could be a great thing.

I also understand why there's no RE CVX remake coming as that game is a whole different conversation entirely but I do think they could have taken elements from that and created a neat continuation of the story. I always felt like there was a lot more potential for storytelling with the og characters instead of just dragging them out later on for more ridiculousness (don't get me started on what they did with Jill Valentine in later games...).
Old 04-13-2020, 05:51 PM   #31
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

The first doesn’t ‘need’ a remake, none of them do actually, I just want to revisit the mansion again
Old 04-13-2020, 05:53 PM   #32
Special Member

Apr 2011
Montreal

But aren't you guys a bit afraid that if a whole new generation are introduced to a remake of 4 and that it sells very well, Capcom might change gear and turn back the series into action games once more? That's what I dread the most about this news. Not R4 itself (which is a good game) but rather the effect it might have again on the series. I really hope they continue with the horror elements they brought back with R7 and the remake of R2! I lost interest and hope in the series for more than a decade till R7 brought me back.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:54 PM   #33
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2010
S p a r t a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRunner2007 View Post
I'd rather have a remake of 1 or CV.
Why invest on a remake of a remake from 2002? No need for that. The 2002 remake is fine as it is!

I am also currently replaying it and I still love the whole old school feel of the opening the doors loading screen and not knowing what you'll find on the next room. Makes the whole experience more scarier. Something that lacks in the remakes we've been getting lately.
Thanks given by:
dallywhitty (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 06:00 PM   #34

Aug 2018
Mechanicsburg, PA

It's also a little difficult to even fathom the idea as we've been asking for an RE2 remake since RE1 remake came out... so now because it took so long, we're really asking for yet another RE1 remake? Just hard for me to think about, but I get it.

Give me Dino Crisis first. And I know I'm in a very, very small minority, but Resi Outbreak needs something too.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:20 PM   #35
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2010
S p a r t a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmotel View Post
It's also a little difficult to even fathom the idea as we've been asking for an RE2 remake since RE1 remake came out... so now because it took so long, we're really asking for yet another RE1 remake? Just hard for me to think about, but I get it.

Give me Dino Crisis first. And I know I'm in a very, very small minority, but Resi Outbreak needs something too.
I've been saying that for years. I know RE is Capcom's best selling franchise but RE4 most definitely doesn't scream for a remake. However, both Dino Crisis games definitely do.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:30 PM   #36
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2009
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas King View Post
Why invest on a remake of a remake from 2002? No need for that. The 2002 remake is fine as it is!

I am also currently replaying it and I still love the whole old school feel of the opening the doors loading screen and not knowing what you'll find on the next room. Makes the whole experience more scarier. Something that lacks in the remakes we've been getting lately.
Don't get me wrong I love RE1 and its Remake. But I also love the RE2 and RE3 remakes. I love the way they look, how they control, the camera perspective. All very modern, yet they feel very familiar. They feel a lot like the original games. The survival horror aspect was ported over perfectly. Hence another RE1 remake done in the RE Engine would not just be another remake. It would be a whole new game, just like the RE2 and RE3 remakes were. Just imagine a faithful recreation of the mansion and all the other areas, done with different, yet very logical routes, new puzzles and item placement etc. But with the same dread, claustrophobia and horror of the original game.
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (04-14-2020), JayTL (04-13-2020), jedilips (04-13-2020), Joeker (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 06:42 PM   #37
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I love RE1 and its Remake. But I also love the RE2 and RE3 remakes. I love the way they look, how they control, the camera perspective. All very modern, yet they feel very familiar. They feel a lot like the original games. The survival horror aspect was ported over perfectly. Hence another RE1 remake done in the RE Engine would not just be another remake. It would be a whole new game, just like the RE2 and RE3 remakes were. Just imagine a faithful recreation of the mansion and all the other areas, done with different, yet very logical routes, new puzzles and item placement etc. But with the same dread, claustrophobia and horror of the original game.
Perfectly said. I'd rather see CV or Zero done before 1...but I'd buy all that come out
Old 04-13-2020, 07:04 PM   #38
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2010
S p a r t a

Quote:
Yes it would.

2002’s remake should stay as is. Absolutely not necessary to try to revamp it like these new ones.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:06 PM   #39
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2009
Germany

Quote:
Yes it would.

2002’s remake should stay as is. Absolutely not necessary to try to revamp it like these new ones.
And it will. It's not like another remake would take anything away from it. You don't have to play the new one, if there ever was one.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:10 PM   #40
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013

Quote:
Yes it would.

I disagree, but to each their own.
After the newer games, I can't for the life of me play with the tank controls.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4