Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99
1 day ago
Ultraman Taro: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$18.99
1 day ago
My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

Ultraman Leo: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Ultraman Taro: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
1 day ago
Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$69.96

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$32.77

Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$25.80

Harley Quinn: The Complete First and Second Seasons (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$13.99
1 day ago
InuYasha: Set 5 (Blu-ray)
$27.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows > TV Polls

Old 04-18-2020, 09:02 AM   #21
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman1980 View Post
LOL I love Buffy but quality dialogue? The Scoobies and the Slayers use rather stunted dialogues, even the supposed prodigy Willow Rosenberg.
I think you're confusing the British accents with quality. Just because they could show nudity and cuss doesn't make it better, that's just a way to trick you into thinking it's more adult and therefore superior.

I liked GoT, while it was drawing from the books, but it didn't have fantastic dialogue either.
Thanks given by:
Gacivory (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 09:50 AM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013

I liked GOT all the way through, and Buffy up until season 5. Buffy still wins easily.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:52 PM   #23

Aug 2014

Since Buffy is the greatest television show ever, it will always win in these Buffy vs. another show threads. Just don't make me chose between Buffy and Twin Peaks. In that case everyone is a winner and we should just be happy that two such amazing shows graced our television screens for a time.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:57 PM   #24
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin87 View Post
I think you're confusing the British accents with quality. Just because they could show nudity and cuss doesn't make it better, that's just a way to trick you into thinking it's more adult and therefore superior.

I liked GoT, while it was drawing from the books, but it didn't have fantastic dialogue either.
I love every one of Khaleesi's monologues. Also loved the Red Viper monologue. Game of Thrones (to me) is one of the best written shows ever until season 8. Buffy was strong but slipped a bit in season 4.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:16 PM   #25
Power Member

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdare View Post
Since Buffy is the greatest television show ever, it will always win in these Buffy vs. another show threads. Just don't make me chose between Buffy and Twin Peaks. In that case everyone is a winner and we should just be happy that two such amazing shows graced our television screens for a time.
What a coincidence. The two shows I decided to start watching
Thanks given by:
drdare (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 10:03 PM   #26
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Just because they could show nudity and cuss doesn't make it better, that's just a way to trick you into thinking it's more adult and therefore superior.
I don't think people liked GOT for the nudity. The nudity wasn't done to attract viewers; it was done in a tasteful manner and was essential the the storylines of the episodes.

Seriously, do you guys not watch GOT?? The posts I'm seeing in this thread demonstrate pure ignorance and honestly, is a big middle finger to the face of everyone who worked very hard in bringing us one of the greatest TV shows in history.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:10 PM   #27
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
I don't think people liked GOT for the nudity. The nudity wasn't done to attract viewers; it was done in a tasteful manner and was essential the the storylines of the episodes.

Seriously, do you guys not watch GOT?? The posts I'm seeing in this thread demonstrate pure ignorance and honestly, is a big middle finger to the face of everyone who worked very hard in bringing us one of the greatest TV shows in history.
Your first post in this thread stated that "GOT obviously has better writing, better acting..."

Did you really think that fans of BTVS would all agree with that statement? You shouldn't state that one show is "obviously" better than the other and then act like the victim when people disagree.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:44 PM   #28
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Um, have you not watched the series? And is this seriously a debate? GOT has to be one of the best written, well crafted series I've ever seen in the history of TV shows. There's a reason why it was such a huge success on HBO.

Having said that, I never said Buffy was a bad show. The storyline can be a bit corny and cheesy at times, but that was part of the fun of watching it and why I liked it so much.
I think you missed the point, mate. You're comparing apples and oranges just like the OP.

Game of Thrones is big a expensive production, filled with some well known actors, it's executed very well, but if you took the best episode of Seinfeld and compared it to the best episode of Game of Thrones and said which one is written better, how could you compare? I'd say both we equally well crafted.

Yes, I've seen Game of Thrones (like Ian McShane said it's "tits and dragons"). I enjoyed it for the most part, but once they set an end-date it was rushed horribly, in quite a few departments. Including writing.

I can't think of many perfect TV shows, but when I do they're usually ones that got cancelled one or two seasons in. Most have quality drop-offs at some point.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:30 PM   #29
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
Your first post in this thread stated that "GOT obviously has better writing, better acting..."

Did you really think that fans of BTVS would all agree with that statement? You shouldn't state that one show is "obviously" better than the other and then act like the victim when people disagree.
Because it IS obvious! GOT was not something slapped together. George R. R. Martin took a painfully long time to write the books just so he can get the story right, so much so that he didn't even finish by the time the TV series ended. Also A LOT of money was put into GOT; not because they just want to piss it all away. They spent a hell of a lot of money to get the perfect scenery, cinematography, the right actors for the role and the right props to film the scenes.

Again, I like Buffy and have the entire series on DVD and I'd buy it again on Vudu if an HD version is available to buy (and I don't understand why an HD version isn't available to purchase, BTW). But you are talking about a network TV series that had to film 22 episodes every year and fulfill the tight deadlines to write and film the episodes. So there's no way you can churn out the best quality episodes with those kind of constraints. Not to mention they are running under a tight budget too. So network TV series can never be as good of a quality as shows on HBO.

This is not about being a victim here. This is about stating the facts! GOT is way better quality. But again I say, Buffy is a great show and I like it very much. But I'm not pleading ignorance by saying that it's better writing than GOT.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:08 AM   #30
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Also A LOT of money was put into GOT; not because they just want to piss it all away. They spent a hell of a lot of money to get the perfect scenery, cinematography, the right actors for the role and the right props to film the scenes.
Dude they literally pissed away millions of dollars on a pilot that they had to re-shoot and recast because it was so awful and more recently they pissed away even more on another pilot with Naomi Watts, that will probably never see the light of day.

Nothing wrong with singing the praises of GoT, but this thread was weird from the beginning.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:16 AM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017

Quote:
This is about stating the facts! GOT is way better quality.
You clearly don't know the difference between opinions and facts.
Thanks given by:
Jay H. (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 01:27 AM   #32

Sep 2011
South-Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Dude they literally pissed away millions of dollars on a pilot that they had to re-shoot and recast because it was so awful and more recently they pissed away even more on another pilot with Naomi Watts, that will probably never see the light of day.

Nothing wrong with singing the praises of GoT, but this thread was weird from the beginning.
Buffy pilot was also reshot with Willow recast.

Buffy will always be my favorite series I have rewatched seasons 1-7 multiple times.

I like Game of Thrones but doubt I will watch complete series again.

Just episodes like Battle of the Bastards.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:43 AM   #33
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukes5858 View Post
Buffy pilot was also reshot with Willow recast.
It was, but that was a non-broadcast-pilot, I think the GoT pilot was intended to air, but they needed to re-shoot nearly all of the 10 million dollar pilot.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:19 AM   #34
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010
Alabama

Quote:

Quote:
Because it IS obvious! GOT was not something slapped together. George R. R. Martin took a painfully long time to write the books just so he can get the story right, so much so that he didn't even finish by the time the TV series ended. Also A LOT of money was put into GOT; not because they just want to piss it all away. They spent a hell of a lot of money to get the perfect scenery, cinematography, the right actors for the role and the right props to film the scenes.

Again, I like Buffy and have the entire series on DVD and I'd buy it again on Vudu if an HD version is available to buy (and I don't understand why an HD version isn't available to purchase, BTW). But you are talking about a network TV series that had to film 22 episodes every year and fulfill the tight deadlines to write and film the episodes. So there's no way you can churn out the best quality episodes with those kind of constraints. Not to mention they are running under a tight budget too. So network TV series can never be as good of a quality as shows on HBO.

This is not about being a victim here. This is about stating the facts! GOT is way better quality. But again I say, Buffy is a great show and I like it very much. But I'm not pleading ignorance by saying that it's better writing than GOT.
Nudity is never really needed. The only part that made sense with nudity was when Dany was alive after walking into the fire and obviously her clothes were burned off. Anything else is mostly for shock factor or sexualization.

You're confusing opinion with fact, just because you like it better than somebody else doesn't mean it's a fact written in stone and it doesn't mean it's a "big middle finger" to anything... and more money doesn't mean better quality. The issue here is that it doesn't have amazing bullet-proof dialogue, not that it didn't cost a lot. With the locations, huge volume of actors as well extras, plus multiple film crews, and then special effects and editing, that takes up a lot. That doesn't mean the budget goes solely to scripts. Also, GRRM only wrote 4 episodes, the majority was written by Benioff & Weiss, so comparing his books to the episodes doesn't mean anything really. You bring up episode order, but given how Buffy was a network show with limitations and requirements and still ended up being as good as it is to me is saying more about it than how HBO had very few limitations for Game of Thrones.

I wouldn't ever say GoT is one of the greatest shows ever, it had a huge cultural impact, but so did Buffy. Everybody likes different things, don't get so bent out of shape over it.

Last edited by kevin87; 04-19-2020 at 02:46 AM.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:30 AM   #35
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

I don't know, the Khalasar is big on nudity, also there's brothels but those probably didn't need to be shown.
Old 04-19-2020, 03:04 AM   #36
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
You clearly don't know the difference between opinions and facts.
My opinion, I like Buffy better than GOT. Why? Well for one thing, the story in GOT is very complex and too many characters with names hard to remember. Plus some episodes run too long. When watching TV shows, I don't like episodes running longer than 45 minutes. After that, I become restless. Plus, Buffy is just an all-around fun series to watch. However, the FACT is, GOT has better writing, acting, cinematography, etc. So it is the better show.

Think about it... what if I asked, which movie is better; Dumb & Dumber or Titanic? Well, the FACT is Titanic is the better movie. The acting and writing is top notch and the amazing box office numbers says it all. However, I like Dumb and Dumber better. It's a funny movie and because it's funny, it's just a fun movie to watch over and over. I'd rather rewatch a funny movie over and over than rewatch a movie about people dying on a ship. Plus, I'm a big Jim Carrey fan and this is my favorite movie of him.

Do you see where I'm getting at with the fact vs. opinion? GOT had top notch ratings on HBO and the reviews are also very good. Buffy, on the other hand, just had decent ratings and reviews. No way did Buffy ever reach the popularity that GOT did.

So please, do not preach to me that Buffy is the better show. That is just pure nonsense and is a complete insult to HBO!
Old 04-19-2020, 03:19 AM   #37
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017

Quote:
My opinion, I like Buffy better than GOT. Why? Well for one thing, the story in GOT is very complex and too many characters with names hard to remember. Plus some episodes run too long. When watching TV shows, I don't like episodes running longer than 45 minutes. After that, I become restless. Plus, Buffy is just an all-around fun series to watch. However, the FACT is, GOT has better writing, acting, cinematography, etc. So it is the better show.

Think about it... what if I asked, which movie is better; Dumb & Dumber or Titanic? Well, the FACT is Titanic is the better movie. The acting and writing is top notch and the amazing box office numbers says it all. However, I like Dumb and Dumber better. It's a funny movie and because it's funny, it's just a fun movie to watch over and over. I'd rather rewatch a funny movie over and over than rewatch a movie about people dying on a ship. Plus, I'm a big Jim Carrey fan and this is my favorite movie of him.

Do you see where I'm getting at with the fact vs. opinion? GOT had top notch ratings on HBO and the reviews are also very good. Buffy, on the other hand, just had decent ratings and reviews. No way did Buffy ever reach the popularity that GOT did.

So please, do not preach to me that Buffy is the better show. That is just pure nonsense and is a complete insult to HBO!
Practically everything in your post is an opinion. Better writing, better acting, better cinematography... those are all opinions.

Ratings, reviews, viewership, and box office statistics are facts but they only prove popularity and success. Which show is better is entirely opinion.
Thanks given by:
Jay H. (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 03:20 AM   #38
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
I wouldn't ever say GoT is one of the greatest shows ever, it had a huge cultural impact, but so did Buffy. Everybody likes different things, don't get so bent out of shape over it.
I'm bent out of shape because you guys are letting your opinions cloud your judgement. Everyone saying Buffy is better than GOT is completely insulting George R. R. Martin's work of art! And speaking of art, what if I attacked people for saying Leonardo DaVinci was a good artist? I mean, isn't that just an opinion?? For all we know, he could be a crappy artist to my eyes, right?
Old 04-19-2020, 03:25 AM   #39
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017

Quote:
I'm bent out of shape because you guys are letting your opinions cloud your judgement. Everyone saying Buffy is better than GOT is completely insulting George R. R. Martin's work of art! And speaking of art, what if I attacked people for saying Leonardo DaVinci was a good artist? I mean, isn't that just an opinion?? For all we know, he could be a crappy artist to my eyes, right?
Beauty and quality are entirely in the eye of the beholder. You are free to say that Leonardo DaVinci is a crappy artist, it's just an opinion. Personally I think that Buffy the Vampire Slayer is better than Game of Thrones but I think that Game of Thrones is better than Mona Lisa.

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; 04-19-2020 at 03:36 AM.
Thanks given by:
Jay H. (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 03:39 AM   #40
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Beauty and quality are entirely in the eye of the beholder. You are free to say that Leonardo DaVinci is a crappy artist, it's just an opinion. Personally I think that Buffy the Vampire Slayer is better than Game of Thrones but I think that Game of Thrones is better than Mona Lisa.
Well I think this painting is better than the Mona Lisa...

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows > TV Polls