Best TV Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$63.50
 
Masterpiece: All Creatures Great and Small (Blu-ray)
$34.16
15 hrs ago
Black Clover: Season 1 and 2 Complete (Blu-ray)
$149.99
 
My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$33.98
 
Mission: Impossible: The Original TV Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99
 
Ultraman Taro: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
 
Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99
 
Kandagawa Jet Girls: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
 
Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99
 
InuYasha: Set 5 (Blu-ray)
$27.99
 
A Certain Scientific Railgun T: Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$56.07
 
Ultraman Leo: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows > TV Polls

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2020, 04:06 AM   #41
PenguinInfinity PenguinInfinity is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Apr 2017
540
3567
720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
Well I think this painting is better than the Mona Lisa...

[Show spoiler]
That's a valid opinion too.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Jay H. (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 04:13 AM   #42
kevin87 kevin87 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
kevin87's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
Alabama
145
863
25
147
208
1
122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
I'm bent out of shape because you guys are letting your opinions cloud your judgement. Everyone saying Buffy is better than GOT is completely insulting George R. R. Martin's work of art! And speaking of art, what if I attacked people for saying Leonardo DaVinci was a good artist? I mean, isn't that just an opinion?? For all we know, he could be a crappy artist to my eyes, right?
Thinking something is better is not an insult to anything. It's not a FACT that his is better, it's an opinion.

Also, GRRM didn't develop Game of Thrones for HBO... he only wrote 4 episodes. Game of Thrones is not necessarily the same as A Song of Fire and Ice just like Buffy the TV show isn't Buffy the movie.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Jay H. (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 05:23 AM   #43
Jay H. Jay H. is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jay H.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2019
Schitt's Creek
749
167
Default

Let's make this easy...

Chili is food, intended for human consumption. These are facts.
I love chili, and my wife's turkey chili is the best chili I've ever had. These are opinions.

I hope this straightens everything out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 05:52 AM   #44
MrClarke MrClarke is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
MrClarke's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
South Hill, VA
198
1751
90
182
13
46
Default

These two are literally my two favorite shows ever. I don’t see them being comparable at all with the exception that they’re both tv shows...
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 01:23 PM   #45
rikraq rikraq is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
rikraq's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Columbia, MO
91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
I don't think people liked GOT for the nudity. The nudity wasn't done to attract viewers; it was done in a tasteful manner and was essential the the storylines of the episodes.
I disagree. I felt some of it was completely gratuitous.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:03 PM   #46
MrHT MrHT is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Feb 2010
166
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin87 View Post
Thinking something is better is not an insult to anything. It's not a FACT that his is better, it's an opinion.

Also, GRRM didn't develop Game of Thrones for HBO... he only wrote 4 episodes. Game of Thrones is not necessarily the same as A Song of Fire and Ice just like Buffy the TV show isn't Buffy the movie.
Then why was GOT insanely popular? I don't think Buffy ever reached the popularity GOT did.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:07 PM   #47
Batman1980 Batman1980 is offline
Blu-ray Jedi
 
Batman1980's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
District 13
8
134
381
55
22
48
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980
Default

Game of Thrones was a record-breaking Emmy show. Did Buffy ever win any Emmy's?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:18 PM   #48
PenguinInfinity PenguinInfinity is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Apr 2017
540
3567
720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman1980 View Post
Game of Thrones was a record-breaking Emmy show. Did Buffy ever win any Emmy's?
Does it matter? The Emmy's are just the opinions of a small group of people. They're opinions shouldn't affect anyone else's.

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; 04-19-2020 at 09:29 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:39 PM   #49
MrHT MrHT is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Feb 2010
166
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman1980 View Post
Game of Thrones was a record-breaking Emmy show. Did Buffy ever win any Emmy's?
Bingo! Exactly my point!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:44 PM   #50
MrHT MrHT is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Feb 2010
166
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
Does it matter? The Emmy's are just the opinions of a small group of people. They're opinions shouldn't affect anyone else's.
This reminds me of a time I used to be in school and I'd always get annoyed at teachers who gave me poor grades on papers. They always say that teachers don't fail you; you fail yourself. But aren't papers graded on the teacher's opinion?? I know sometimes it has happened to me where one teacher always like my papers but another teacher always nitpicks and finds reasons to give me a low grade. Why are we letting a teacher's "opinion" dictate my grade in a course? My grade should be based on the FACT that I know the material well or not. This is one of the reasons why I find the whole education system flawed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:46 PM   #51
Batman1980 Batman1980 is offline
Blu-ray Jedi
 
Batman1980's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
District 13
8
134
381
55
22
48
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980
Default

Why I always feel grades should be based on a student's overall grasp of the required material and not how well they test or do on a project.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:51 PM   #52
rikraq rikraq is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
rikraq's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Columbia, MO
91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman1980 View Post
Game of Thrones was a record-breaking Emmy show. Did Buffy ever win any Emmy's?
Yes.

Quote:
Through its run, “Buffy” did collect 14 total Emmy nominations and won two trophies in 1998 for music and makeup. Thirteen of those bids were below-the-line, but it did earn one big breakthrough nomination in the Best Drama Writing category for the Joss Whedon-penned episode “Hush” in 2000.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:52 PM   #53
Batman1980 Batman1980 is offline
Blu-ray Jedi
 
Batman1980's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
District 13
8
134
381
55
22
48
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980
Default

It won 2.

  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:58 PM   #54
rikraq rikraq is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
rikraq's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Columbia, MO
91
Default

I don't think they were as accepting of sci-fi/fantasy shows back then as being serious contenders.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:12 PM   #55
PenguinInfinity PenguinInfinity is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Apr 2017
540
3567
720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
This reminds me of a time I used to be in school and I'd always get annoyed at teachers who gave me poor grades on papers. They always say that teachers don't fail you; you fail yourself. But aren't papers graded on the teacher's opinion?? I know sometimes it has happened to me where one teacher always like my papers but another teacher always nitpicks and finds reasons to give me a low grade. Why are we letting a teacher's "opinion" dictate my grade in a course? My grade should be based on the FACT that I know the material well or not. This is one of the reasons why I find the whole education system flawed.
It seems like you should be on the opposite side of that argument. If you think that a TV show is good because the authority on TV shows (the Emmy's) says it's good then shouldn't the authority on your school papers (your teacher) be right about their quality too?
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Batman1980 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 10:22 PM   #56
MrHT MrHT is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Feb 2010
166
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
It seems like you should be on the opposite side of that argument. If you think that a TV show is good because the authority on TV shows (the Emmy's) says it's good then shouldn't the authority on your school papers (your teacher) be right about their quality too?
Exactly my point...
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:27 PM   #57
PenguinInfinity PenguinInfinity is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Apr 2017
540
3567
720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
Exactly my point...
But you disagreed with your teachers. If you think that everything is factually good or bad then what gives you the authority to say that your teachers are wrong? You're even less qualified to judge the quality of your work than your teachers are.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:34 PM   #58
Jay H. Jay H. is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jay H.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2019
Schitt's Creek
749
167
Default

  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:47 PM   #59
chip75 chip75 is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
chip75's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Wales
71
2602
2130
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
But aren't papers graded on the teacher's opinion?
That's not how grades work, you're graded on tangible facts, spelling, punctuation, accuracy, presentation and so on. Granted you may find teachers that raise or lower grades depending on their opinion of the pupil, but hopefully those aren't too common (and you can get a second opinion).

Art can be subjectively and objectively analysed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:53 PM   #60
kevin87 kevin87 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
kevin87's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
Alabama
145
863
25
147
208
1
122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
Then why was GOT insanely popular? I don't think Buffy ever reached the popularity GOT did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman1980 View Post
Game of Thrones was a record-breaking Emmy show. Did Buffy ever win any Emmy's?
Buffy was around in the very early days of the internet, you can't gauge popularity with something then like you can now. Also, popular doesn't equal quality. You know what's popular? Keeping Up with the Kardashians and Real Housewives... so by that logic, those shows are as good as Game of Thrones.

Awards shows are based on opinions of a small group of people who vote on what they like, or possibly because they know the people involved and want to help their friends, they are still NOT facts. They do not mean something is inherently better, just that somebody liked it better.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows > TV Polls


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:19 PM.