Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
My Fair Lady 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
11 hrs ago
Django 4K + Texas, Adios (Blu-ray)
$42.99
19 hrs ago
News of the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
19 hrs ago
Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$63.50

The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Black Clover: Season 1 and 2 Complete (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Crazy Samurai: 400 vs. 1 (Blu-ray)
$14.96
15 hrs ago
Masterpiece: All Creatures Great and Small (Blu-ray)
$34.16
14 hrs ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 05-08-2020, 02:34 AM   #21

Jun 2011
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
DVDs and streaming are popular for the same reason: they're cheap and the quality is "good enough". A very small percentage of people are willing to pay more for higher quality video and audio.
Why don't they do this to good movies? I own a 100 movie horror set from Mills Creek and I barely watch it. It had some Hammer Horror on it. Does Hollywood really think people have access to a Magic Money Tree? How long after seeing a two dozen "Bluray's Dead" articles does it take to see Blurays future this way?

Quote:
With free time being such a scarcity these days
Sometimes I buy movies just so it looks good on Instagram similar to Funko Pops or videogames. To give that impression that I'm cool. Funko Pops are so feminine because they're actually dolls and I'm a guy. Funko Pops = Barbie

Last edited by renegadeviking; 05-08-2020 at 03:04 AM.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:20 AM   #22
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeviking View Post
Why don't they do this to good movies? I own a 100 movie horror set from Mills Creek and I barely watch it. It had some Hammer Horror on it. Does Hollywood really think people have access to a Magic Money Tree? How long after seeing a two dozen "Bluray's Dead" articles does it take to see Blurays future this way?
The studios look at sales figures, not clickbait articles. Good movies continue to sell well on Blu-ray, DVD, iTunes, and Amazon Video. The studios would have to be stupid to drastically drop their prices on any format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeviking View Post
Sometimes I buy movies just so it looks good on Instagram similar to Funko Pops or videogames. To give that impression that I'm cool. Funko Pops are so feminine because they're actually dolls and I'm a guy. Funko Pops = Barbie
You think buying extremely cheap movies will make you look cool?
Old 05-08-2020, 03:56 AM   #23
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
DVDs and streaming are popular for the same reason: they're cheap and the quality is "good enough". A very small percentage of people are willing to pay more for higher quality video and audio.
I disagree Streaming can be as good as Disc with the right equipment and setup. You just need a Solid Fiber ISP with a good connection, and you will have no Streaming problems. All Fiber from the Last Mile to the Fiber Backbone!
Old 05-08-2020, 04:33 AM   #24
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
I disagree Streaming can be as good as Disc with the right equipment and setup. You just need a Solid Fiber ISP with a good connection, and you will have no Streaming problems. All Fiber from the Last Mile to the Fiber Backbone!
I don't feel like responding to this nonsense for the millionth time so I'll just link to the thread where all the other responses are:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=259675
Old 05-08-2020, 05:56 AM   #25
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
I don't feel like responding to this nonsense for the millionth time........
So like you I'm tired of referring to Digital Streaming as "Convenient or Good Enough." They both originate from the same DI, and with the right equipment and setup the Quality IMO is the same.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:11 AM   #26
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017

Quote:
So like you I'm tired of referring to Digital Streaming as "Convenient or Good Enough." They both originate from the same DI, and with the right equipment and setup the Quality IMO is the same.
They would only be the same quality if they had the same bitrate, but discs and streaming never do. It doesn't matter how great your equipment or internet connection is; you can't get higher quality video or audio than Netflix, Amazon, Apple, or Vudu are providing.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:43 AM   #27
Expert Member

Aug 2019
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
with the right equipment and setup the Quality IMO is the same.
Well, that's outright false. You cannot have an opinion on facts. Opinions extend to preferences and thoughts on other subjective matters. We get you have a preference for streaming, but it is categorically and objectively inferior, and you would be delusional to say or think otherwise. You cannot conflate a 3GB streaming encode of a movie to a 30GB encode for Blu-ray. Yes, most of them are sourced from the same master, but that master is then encoded into various formats for audience consumption. Most people wouldn't be able to stream Blu-ray quality video at acceptable speeds (and internet/content providers would not want to stream such large amounts of data).

Saying that streaming affords the same quality as Blu-ray is as ridiculous and false as saying that the quality of DVDs is the same as Blu-ray as long as you have the right set-up.

If you can't tell the difference, then consider it a victory on your end as you can save money and space on buying discs, but the two are not equal.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:10 AM   #28
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyG View Post
Saying that streaming affords the same quality as Blu-ray is as ridiculous and false as saying that the quality of DVDs is the same as Blu-ray as long as you have the right set-up.
With the right setup* Blu-ray, DVD, streaming, and VHS all look and sound the same.

[Show spoiler]

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; 05-08-2020 at 07:17 AM.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 07:43 PM   #29
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
You cannot conflate a 3GB streaming encode of a movie to a 30GB encode for Blu-ray. Yes, most of them are sourced from the same master, but that master is then encoded into various formats for audience consumption.
I don't know where you get your information, but the Streaming Bitrates have gone passed 30Mbps. This information was from last year, but you can easily get BD Quality.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:04 PM   #30
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
I don't know where you get your information, but the Streaming Bitrates have gone passed 30Mbps. This information was from last year, but you can easily get BD Quality.
I know where you get your information; you simply make it all up.

Netflix and Vudu still stream at no greater than 15-16 Mbps for their 4K streams while the best streaming providers, Apple and Movies Anywhere, approach 30 Mbps for their 4K streams. Their bitrates for streaming in HD are vastly lower than what a blu-ray provides. Netflix only recommends a 5 Mbps internet connection for their anemic HD streams. You are contrasting the bitrates for 4K streams with those of blu-ray discs and that is not an apt comparison.

None of which come anywhere near to the the bitrates possible with a 4K disc. A 100gb 4K disc can reach a maximum bitrate of 144 Mbps and they often average around 80 Mbps.

"The specification allows for three disc capacities, each with its own data rate: 50 GB at 82 Mbit/s, 66 GB at 108 Mbit/s, and 100 GB at 128 Mbit/s, or, (since 2018) 50 GB at 72 or 92 Mbit/s, and 66 GB and 100 GB at 92, 123, or 144 Mbit/s. 50 and 66 GB use two layers, and 100 GB uses three 33 GB layers."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_HD_Blu-ray

You do not own a 4K disc player and you have not seen a 4K disc, by your own repeated admission in other threads, thus you are in no position to compare a 4K stream's quality to that of a 4K disc. You need to stop claiming that they look the same when you have not even seen what a 4K disc can do.

Last edited by Vilya; 05-08-2020 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:20 PM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
The topic was concerning fitting so many videos onto a BD, like budget collection DVDs. (Ultra low bitrate Blurays to fit 8 movies on a single disc)

Quote:
This is fluff and not related at all to discussion.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:46 PM   #32
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
The studios look at sales figures, not clickbait articles. Good movies continue to sell well on Blu-ray, DVD, iTunes, and Amazon Video. The studios would have to be stupid to drastically drop their prices on any format.

You think buying extremely cheap movies will make you look cool?
I don't see anything wrong with a indie studio providing some older content in PAL or 720P resolution that has been out of print for a long time for people to buy as part of a BD collection. There is a ton of older content stuff to be remarketed out there.

For a lot of people looking just for entertainment, and can't afford buying current releases, its a way for them to get acquainted with watching content, instead of buying DVDs with just 1 to 3 films.

A few years back when there were rack and racks of DVDs, you saw lots of these collections offered. It didn't hurt the sales of other media.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:28 PM   #33
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
I don't see anything wrong with a indie studio providing some older content in PAL or 720P resolution that has been out of print for a long time for people to buy as part of a BD collection. There is a ton of older content stuff to be remarketed out there.

For a lot of people looking just for entertainment, and can't afford buying current releases, its a way for them to get acquainted with watching content, instead of buying DVDs with just 1 to 3 films.

A few years back when there were rack and racks of DVDs, you saw lots of these collections offered. It didn't hurt the sales of other media.
At this point the studios can make far more money by putting older good movies on streaming services and getting people to pay every month; or alternatively they can release those movies for free with ads. Both options are far more profitable then releasing sets of 8 movies on a Blu-ray disc for $10.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:44 PM   #34

Dec 2019

Quote:
You guys wonder why DVD's are doing so good!
Married With Children (one of best sitcoms of all time) had 11 seasons and the DVD set is 32 discs.... and even those are on the low side and they used lower bitrates to squaze more content !!
https://www.amazon.com/Married-Child.../dp/B005CGI4EG

being shot on tape it will never be HD so why don't they put SD Blu-Rays sets to cut down the disc numbers ?? , and you also change discs much less when going from episode to episode

this applies for nearly all of this old sitcoms , as they were mostly shot on tape anyway

Last edited by mike962; 05-08-2020 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:05 PM   #35
Expert Member

Aug 2019
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
With the right setup* Blu-ray, DVD, streaming, and VHS all look and sound the same.
Maaad set-up, bro!

When I saw the spoiler tag, I knew you were going to pull that one on me. Still got a good chuckle out of it though.

LOL at all the simpletons chucking their money at flatscreen TVs. Streaming on CRTs is where it's at, where it's not quite 1980 anymore, but not quite 2020 either.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:10 PM   #36
Expert Member

Aug 2019
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike962 View Post
being shot on tape it will never be HD so why don't they put SD Blu-Rays sets to cut down the disc numbers ?? , and you also change discs much less when going from episode to episode
They would also be a lot cheaper to produce (smaller packaging, fewer discs to author/duplicate), and each season can fit on one disc while affording high bitrates and lossless audio (or they can squeeze two seasons per disc if they're feeling stingy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike962 View Post
this applies for nearly all of this old sitcoms , as they were mostly shot on tape anyway
I wouldn't say "nearly all" as the U.S. shoots a lot of their scripted shows on film (though less often nowadays). But for the U.K. and Australia, yes, this is especially true, where almost everything was shot on tape (and for Australian television especially, rather poor quality tape).

But absolutely, I would love to see SD content on Blu-ray. I've done it for my home videos to cut down on the disc count (and they're faster and cheaper to duplicate). For example, I fit around 46 VHS tapes on 5 BD-50s, with each scene itemised and dated. Among my best work.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:19 PM   #37

Jun 2011
Minnesota

Quote:
They would also be a lot cheaper to produce (smaller packaging, fewer discs to author/duplicate), and each season can fit on one disc while affording high bitrates and lossless audio (or they can squeeze two seasons per disc if they're feeling stingy).

I wouldn't say "nearly all" as the U.S. shoots a lot of their scripted shows on film (though less often nowadays). But for the U.K. and Australia, yes, this is especially true, where almost everything was shot on tape (and for Australian television especially, rather poor quality tape).

But absolutely, I would love to see SD content on Blu-ray. I've done it for my home videos to cut down on the disc count (and they're faster and cheaper to duplicate). For example, I fit around 46 VHS tapes on 5 BD-50s, with each scene itemised and dated. Among my best work.

This was done by the Angry videogame nerd for about 4 boxsets. Maybe it would make the price of entry cheaper like 4 movie pack DVDs from the 2000s era. Discotek also puts complete anime on SD-BD.

Last edited by renegadeviking; 05-09-2020 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:25 PM   #38

Dec 2019

Quote:

in the 80s-90s nearly every sitcom was shot on tape, some examples of long running ones , were this thing could really cut down the disc number and costs

Home Improvemet 7 seasons ,

The Nanny 6 seasons

Who's the Boss 8 seasons

Charles in Charge 5 seasons

ALF 4 seasons

some were however shot on 35 mm film and are available in HD, like Family Matters 8 seasons

Step by Step 7 seasons also shot on film and avalable in HD

Last edited by mike962; 05-09-2020 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:27 PM   #39
Expert Member

Jan 2020
UK

I suspect a lot of the value for such shows these days is actually exclusivity, people aren't willing to pay large amounts to watch them BUT it might make the decision for them to sign up for one streaming platform over another.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:49 PM   #40
Special Member

Feb 2017

8-9 movies on a blu? Why not 25?

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Wu-Ta...Blu-ray/52762/

I actually got this a while back for a couple dollars. The quality is as horrible as you would expect. All 480i and looking worse than any big 50+ cheapo multi movie set. Virtually unwatchable. Not sure who thought that was a good idea...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology