Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
My Fair Lady 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
6 hrs ago
Django 4K + Texas, Adios (Blu-ray)
$42.99
14 hrs ago
News of the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
14 hrs ago
Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50

Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$63.50
1 day ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Black Clover: Season 1 and 2 Complete (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Crazy Samurai: 400 vs. 1 (Blu-ray)
$14.96
10 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Masterpiece: All Creatures Great and Small (Blu-ray)
$34.16
9 hrs ago
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$33.98

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 10-31-2020, 04:31 AM   #21
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

I've had a bunch of DVDs go bad in my collection. Oddly enough, all the ones that went bad were DVDs I bought later on during the format's life, most of which were Fox DVDs. The ones I bought as early as the year 2000 never went bad. And this leads me to believe that later on, DVDs were manufactured more cheaply and thus, making them more susceptible to degradation.

I've never had any of my BDs go bad on me though. So, knock on wood...

Last edited by MrHT; 10-31-2020 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:33 PM   #22
Special Member

Feb 2008
great britain
Send a message via MSN to johndoyle123

If anyone wants read some take you should read this recent “study”
That claims the upper limit of blu ray disc life Span is 10-20 years for a pressed disc

https://www.filmstories.co.uk/featur...blu-rays-last/
Old 11-12-2020, 08:44 PM   #23
Expert Member

Feb 2020
-
-
-

(Ultra HD) Blu-ray Discs should last forever if they were well-manufactured and are well-kept. Believe it or not, there is a type of BD-R called the "M-DISC" that is rated to last 1,000 years. If a disc "rots," that disc was poorly made.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:00 PM   #24

Nov 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdo7 View Post
As everyone on this thread said, I think you got a case of a defective discs (that's the problem with the early days of BD). So just follow direction on how to get it replaced.

Also BD don't seem to have disc rot problem, although one article from last year talked about disc rot, and this got my attention:

So please keep an eye out on your BD in your collection if you see any sign of disc rot or degradation.

Vice News in 2017 had an article about disc rot and why it's a big concern for archivists. Blu-ray is not talked about in the article, but there's a reason why a lot of movies that got DVD release, but no 2K/4K scan restoration blu-ray release is a big concern for DVD owners. Your movie in your DVD collection, keep checking them periodically from time to time to see if they don't show sign of disc rot/degradation.

So far as of now, it doesn't look like BD have any major disc rot problem. But keep checking your BD disc in your collection to make sure from time to time to make sure the disc doesn't show any sign of disc rot.
This article may prove you wrong.Here's a a study/stress test that someone on this site posted yesterday. The article made me more worried about the stability and longevity of blu-rays. The guy actually performed stress tests under certain conditions and blu-rays rated very poorly. In fact if you look at table 5, single layer read-only blu-rays scored even poorly than single layer read-only DVDs which means that even read-only DVDs have higher longevity than read-only blu-rays. In this study read-only CDs seem to last longer that read-only blu rays. I don't know if it is true.

"The most recent generation of optical disc media available is the Blu-ray format. Blu-rays offer significantly more storage capacity than compact discs (CDs) and digital versatile discs (DVDs) and thus are an attractive option for the storage of large image or audio and video files. However, uncertainty exists on the stability and longevity of Blu-ray discs and the literature does not contain much information on these topics. In this study, the stabilities of Blu-ray formats such as read-only movie discs as well as many different brands of recordable and erasable media were evaluated. Testing involved the exposure of samples to conditions of 80 °C and 85 % relative humidity for intervals up to 84 days. Overall, the stability of the Blu-ray formats was poor with many discs significantly degraded after only 21 days of accelerated ageing. In addition to large increases in error rates, many discs showed easily identifiable visible degradation in several different forms. In a comparison with other optical disc formats examined previously, Blu-ray stability ranked very low. Other data from the study indicated that recording Blu-ray media with low initial error rates is challenging for some brands at this time, which is a factor that ultimately affects longevity."

https://www.semanticscholar.org/pape...68bd1c8d6663ab
Old 11-15-2020, 04:13 PM   #25
Blu-ray Champion

May 2018

Well, my twice watched UK EIV disc of Book of Eli won't load in a ps4 pro, Xbox one X or my 4k spinner
Old 11-24-2020, 06:59 PM   #26

May 2008
Cypress, Texas, USA
Default Wait, what table 5 are you talking about? I don't see it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscreep23 View Post
This article may prove you wrong.Here's a a study/stress test that someone on this site posted yesterday. The article made me more worried about the stability and longevity of blu-rays. The guy actually performed stress tests under certain conditions and blu-rays rated very poorly. In fact if you look at table 5, single layer read-only blu-rays scored even poorly than single layer read-only DVDs which means that even read-only DVDs have higher longevity than read-only blu-rays. In this study read-only CDs seem to last longer that read-only blu rays. I don't know if it is true.

"The most recent generation of optical disc media available is the Blu-ray format. Blu-rays offer significantly more storage capacity than compact discs (CDs) and digital versatile discs (DVDs) and thus are an attractive option for the storage of large image or audio and video files. However, uncertainty exists on the stability and longevity of Blu-ray discs and the literature does not contain much information on these topics. In this study, the stabilities of Blu-ray formats such as read-only movie discs as well as many different brands of recordable and erasable media were evaluated. Testing involved the exposure of samples to conditions of 80 °C and 85 % relative humidity for intervals up to 84 days. Overall, the stability of the Blu-ray formats was poor with many discs significantly degraded after only 21 days of accelerated ageing. In addition to large increases in error rates, many discs showed easily identifiable visible degradation in several different forms. In a comparison with other optical disc formats examined previously, Blu-ray stability ranked very low. Other data from the study indicated that recording Blu-ray media with low initial error rates is challenging for some brands at this time, which is a factor that ultimately affects longevity."

Wait a minute, I don't see any table or any "table 5" you're showing me. That link you give me doesn't work or won't access when I clicked on it. Can you give me other evidence or another URLs that backed up whatever you stated.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:47 PM   #27

Nov 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdo7 View Post
Wait a minute, I don't see any table or any "table 5" you're showing me. That link you give me doesn't work or won't access when I clicked on it. Can you give me other evidence or another URLs that backed up whatever you stated.
Here you are

Old 11-24-2020, 11:36 PM   #28

May 2008
Cypress, Texas, USA

Quote:
Here's the problem with the studies. One is that this report is from 2018 (one of my article source was from last year that kinda doesn't match with the statistic), and I can't access the rest of the report you give to me because I would need to pay $42 to read the whole research (which I'm not going to waste money and time for).

Also, several of my blu-rays I had in my collections I had kept for years hasn't shown sign of deterioration or neither had a problem playing on my BD player (I tested them on my 2 BD players, my PS3, and my PS4 Pro). No problem playing back on them since I kept them stored in room temperature.

Other then that, I haven't seen any other report of mass BD deterioration or BD disc rot.

Last edited by mdo7; 11-25-2020 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Forgot to finished my last sentence
Thanks given by:
chriscreep23 (11-24-2020)
Old 01-04-2021, 02:52 AM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008

Quote:

This study is subjecting discs to torture chambers and then acting like their failure is surprising. 84 days of 176 degree Fahrenheit conditions, yeah that'll certainly damage your discs!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology