Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99

The Croods: A New Age 3D (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Dynasty 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Man of Steel 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.11

Jaws: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Shazam! 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

House of Wax 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89

Humpback Whales 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.50

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Bait 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.69

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors

View Poll Results: Which 3d tech is better?
Shutter 3D (active glasses) 4 20.00%
Polar 3D (passive glasses) 14 70.00%
No 3d (3d options ruin 2d viewing) 1 5.00%
It doesn't matter. 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2020, 07:53 PM   #1

Mar 2017
Cool Shutter 3D vs Polar 3D

Here are what I think are pros in the battle of Shutter vs Polar.

Pro Shutter/ Anti Polar
1. Polar gives 2D pictures that are not quite optimal, Shutter doesn't darken or distort 2D Pictures.
2. If you tilt your head more than a couple of degrees, both eyes partially depolarize, causing double images, causing visual confusion causing headaches. My mom gets 3D headaches after 5 minutes in theaters. On my PS3DTV, mom watched a movie for 15 minutes, and quit because she said it's not her type of movie. But no 3D headaches.
3. Sega proved you can add 3D to an existing 2D TV of the 80s. If you compensate for ping, like the ARC connection already does, so let's use it. To "add a polar screen", you have to buy a polar screen for your specific 2d TV model. And probably hire a pro to install it

Pro Polar / Anti Shutter

1. You must charge a shutter glasses (or use a 3.5 mm cable like the Sega Scope.)
2. The more people who watch a 3D movie at once, the more financial sense Polar 3D makes, (25 cents per set vs $10)
3. Imagine passing around Shutter glasses in the Covid-19 era to strangers. Polar glasses you recycle.

I'm surprised why most people prefer Polar at home. The main reason why polar is used in theaters is because polar is a better communal system, and shutter is a better 3Dtv for one.

It seems like most people also prefer Communal surround sound, either multiple speakers or a sound bar vs surround headphones. And I think headphones have more convincing surround sound.

I don't know why people want it theater like when I strive to be better than the theater
It's cheaper, it's more accurate, it's just better (according to me. But then again, it's a personal theater/game room.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:58 PM   #2
Power Member

Oct 2013
Southern California, USA

Shutter glasses do darken the picture. They have to since one eye must be "shut" when the other eye is "open". This also causes other issues such as "flickering". Also, besides DLP shutter glasses systems, most shutter systems have more cross-talk then polarized systems when sitting in an optimal seating position. The difference between my previous Tv, a Samsung plasma which used a shutter system, and my LG OLED, which uses polarized glasses was immediately noticeable when it came to crosstalk. House of Wax and Dial M For Murder were noticeably improved after switching to the LG.

The other big disadvantage with passive polarized TV's is that they halve the vertical resolution. This was an issue with 1080p passive polarized TV's since they were displaying 1920x540 resolution. With 4K passive polarized TV's, it's not an issue since the full 1080 vertical resolution is being shown without compromises.

Polarized glasses should have been preferred by manufacturers from the beginning. They are more consumer friendly since they don't require a consumer to push a button or change/recharge batteries. They are also more lightweight and aren't heavy on the nose, making them more ideal for those who are already wearing glasses.
Thanks given by:
Interdimensional (08-05-2020), Zivouhr (12-23-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 11:52 PM   #3

Mar 2017

I don't know whether it was just the choice of titles, but I seen Wreck It Ralph in 3d but in the theater (polar) and my PS3DTV (shutter). I thought the 3D looked better in Shutter.

The Hobbit 1 I saw in a "high frame rate theater" in 3D, the TV like effects were noticable, but I've thrown out of reality by accidentally tipping my head.

As for the light being dimmer on shutter vs polar, the PS3DTV, (arguably the most popular single model of 3DTV) first, the screen is 240 Hz, which means it can do 120 Hz x 2 eyes. It took many more years before others got to 240 Hz. Quicker flashes makes a more persistent vision of the screen. Second, most 3D haters say polarized 3ad ruins 2D viewing of a TV. Shutter TV only appear darkened when viewed through 3D glasses.

Has anyone done a study of 3D headaches with Polar vs Shutter. My mom lasted longer on a shutter 3D system, and quit for lack of interest. In the theater, she gets sick in 5 minutes, due to double exposures. I think she can watch a 3D movie "from Once to After" (a short way of saying from "once upon a time" to "and they lived happily ever after")

When 3D TVs die. Nothing replaced them. I'm thinking aftermarket 3d add one.

Shutter is easy. Sega proved it possible. Polar would require bothvs specialized part and skilled labor to add it on.

If it's true that a polar shield ruins 3D, then why not have a cartridge to load in front of the screen,.that contains a removable 3D polar filter?

Polar shields are light. They are slightly thicker than a page in a softcover book. The most important fact is that it must "line up" with the pixels or you'll have a weird picture.

What exactly is "cross talk"? I experienced cocked head 3D errors but I am not sure of what crosstalk us and how to avoid it.

Would a shutter screen be better for one, and a polar at hundreds at a time?

There are also two sleeper 3D display formats. Parallax filter 3D, used in the Nintendo 3DS. The main problem with that is that even though it's classics free it only works for one person at a time.

and then finally cell phones got it the old-fashioned way put a bunch of plastic eye goggles around your eyes insert phone and make sure there's something in between the bridge of your nose in the top of the screen so that you could see two separate isolated to give use as a true stereoscope with no glasses other than the over goggles the phone is put in.

The good thing about this one is that it's truly a privacy issue. One person can watch it in 3D while another watches it into 2D. And they can both be in the same room and talk about it while they watch it together.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:10 AM   #4
Power Member

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletopper View Post
Here are what I think are pros in the battle of Shutter vs Polar.

Pro Shutter/ Anti Polar

2. If you tilt your head more than a couple of degrees, both eyes partially depolarize, causing double images, causing visual confusion causing headaches. My mom gets 3D headaches after 5 minutes in theaters. On my PS3DTV, mom watched a movie for 15 minutes, and quit because she said it's not her type of movie. But no 3D headaches.

That is the not the case with circular polarisation, which is what is used in Real D and on passive 3dtvs. Some Imax 3D systems use linear polarization which is less friendly to tilted heads, but I can't say I've found it a major issue, or an issue at all.

As someone who regularly wears eyeglasses, my preference is for polarized, and one reason is because I find there are more options available in terms glasses that fit comfortably over glasses. Most shutter glasses I tried were not ideal, at least for me.

One advantage of active glasses, is that it should be more widely compatible with different TVs. In theory many(most?) modern TVs have all the functionality required to display 3-D images with shutter glasses.
Thanks given by:
revgen (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 02:52 AM   #5

Mar 2017

Yes the fact that you can add 3D to any TV just spy adding a middle processor the sink up the glasses and portrayed the video as Left Right alternate frames, makes an aftermarket shutter base 3D more viable than a polar based one.

no I don't understand the differences between different forms of polar 3D.

You do understand that partial depolarization happens in polar 3D when you tilt your head to the side. That's where my mom gets her 3D headaches. I never heard of that much confusion caused by shutter 3D.

You talk about circular polarization how does that work so that you can tilt your head a reasonable number of degrees and still not get double images?

By the way is the lag the issue that causes crosstalk, meaning if you think it right or you're using a CRT TV then there should be no crosstalk issues or am I misunderstanding shutter crosstalk? Would the 240 Hz help with cross talk?Also cat Hertz rates only being multiples of 60 in atsc regions, and multiples of 50 in pal regions or is it a variable refresh rate like a computer monitor that can have unusual numbers like 144? So you could do 48 (24 x 2 x 1) 96 (24 x 2 x 2) 144 (24 x 2 x 3).
Old 08-05-2020, 03:04 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Linearly polarized glasses vs Circularly polarized glasses

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polari...arised_glasses
Thanks given by:
Interdimensional (08-10-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 02:05 PM   #7
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

I have an active Sony Bravia 3DTV and a no longer properly starting passive Vizio 3DTV. The passive set was my preference 9 times out of 10 because of the ease of use with the battery free Real D 3D glasses from the movie theater. At the distance i sit, about 6 feet away, the image still looks great for 3D. Now I have to rely sole on the Active Bravia, buying batteries for the glasses, and dealing with that constant subtle flickering effect at times. The glasses dig into my nose besides.

Then there's the PSVR headset for blu ray 3D playback on the PS4 with the update. A screen door filter effect weakens the 3D effect a bit, but it's still better than nothing at all, and currently the only new 3D playback option available other than maybe some rare 3D projectors. Some range from 350 to 5000 dollars.

A new, lower cost 3D Projector with blu ray 3D playback via HDMI cable, and 15,000 hours of lamp life, but with 1024 x 768 resolution.

Currently sold on Bestbuy .com
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/viewson...?skuId=5947147
ViewSonic - PA503X XGA DLP Projector - White
Model:PA503X
SKU:5947147

The ViewSonic® PA503X price-performance projector features 3,600 lumens, native XGA 1024 x 768 resolution, and intuitive, user-friendly design. Exclusive SuperColor™ technology offers a wide color gamut for beautiful image production in nearly any environment. The PA503X also features extensive connectivity including HDMI, 2 x VGA, VGA out, Composite Video and audio in/out. An energy-saving SuperEco™ feature reduces power consumption and extends the lamp life by up to 15,000 hours*. With advanced audio-visual features, flexible connectivity options, and an affordable price, the PA503X is ideal for use in education and small business environments.

*Energy consumption and lamp life may vary based on actual usage and other factors.
3D Blu-ray Ready HDMI Input
Equipped with the latest HDMI, this projector is perfect for connecting to any HDMI-enabled device, and can display 3D images directly from 3D Blu-ray players. 3D images can be viewed with optional ViewSonic PGD-350 Shutter Glasses, or any other compatible 3D glasses.

15,000 hours of lamp life. Just imagine watching 1000 hours. Then add 14,000. That's more than I was expecting.
But that's on "Economy mode". Only 5000 regular full brightness mode. That stinks.

There's another model with 1280 x 800 resolution for $20 more, ViewSonic - PA503W WXGA DLP Projector - White
Model:PA503W
SKU:6131424
$379.99
Max resolution 1920 x 1200
Supports blu ray 3D via HDMI to blu ray 3D player.
Dual 3D Blu-ray Ready HDMI Inputs
Designed with two HDMI ports, this projector is perfect for connecting to any HDMI-enabled device, and can display 3D images directly from 3D Blu-ray players. 3D images can be viewed with optional ViewSonic PGD-350 Shutter Glasses, or any other compatible 3D glasses.
LAMP LIFE only 5000 hours full brightness. 10000 eco mode.

Last edited by Zivouhr; 12-23-2020 at 02:15 PM.
Thanks given by:
revgen (12-24-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 04:16 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

ViewSonic - PA503X XGA DLP Projector

The aspect ratio of the projector is 4:3. High Definition's aspect ratio is 16x9. You will see letterbox bars on all 1.78/1.85 AR content and large letterbox bars on 2.35/2.39 AR content

ViewSonic - PA503W

The aspect ratio of the projector is 16x10. Letterbox bars will be slightly larger then what you are used to seeing on your Sony and Vizio TVs
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 04:58 AM   #9
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Thanks Lee for the info.
Thanks given by:
Lee A Stewart (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 07:51 AM   #10

Mar 2017
Cool

On eBay they sell shutter syncers with wired glasses that work with VGA monitors for like 15 bucks plus shipping.

If your VGA is a CRT then you don't have to worry about delay issues.

I already bought one I'm going to be testing it soon.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:25 PM   #11
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

ViewSonic - PA503W, my 3D shutter rechargeable glasses were finally tested last night with Avengers Infinity War 3D.

On Eco setting which is brighter for 3D but still apparently saves on the bulb life (but not as much as Super Eco mode), I felt like I was in a small movie theater watching a 3D film, that's how great the projected 3D and picture quality was, along with a better sound output with more bass; speaker plugs into the earphone jack of the View Sonic. Totally awesome.

The 3D shutter glasses I got (BOBLOV DLP Link 3D Glasses Active Shutter Rechargeable for DLP 3D Projector) don't have batteries to replace as far as I can tell, as you are required to insert a charge micro USB into the port on the glasses where the nose would go if wearing them. It will only charge with the cord attached and won't power on. When the cord is detached, then if you press the button on top, it'll power on.

Only issue is during a 3D shot where there is a bright background and a single object quickly moves up or down in the screen, the 3D glasses with automatically reverse the 3D for some dumb reason. So I quickly press the button once on the glasses and it's back to normal. During Infinity War, it happened 4 separate times during the film all when this type of shot occurred. I'll have to test it on other films. It's annoying but better than nothing.

The glasses are narrow horizontally, so keeping them close to your eyes helps but you'll see the frames a little bit while watching the film, unlike the Real D glasses from theaters. Not a big deal as long as you focus on the movie. I did not see any flickering while wearing these until I looked at a clock light away from the screen. Looking back at the screen, no flicker that I noticed.

The 3D pop outs and layering with the glasses is very strong and effective.
And the larger screen (I have mine about 100" on the wall) helps increase the 3D effect too with a larger picture to view.

The glasses are otherwise reliable and good so far, so no major complaints.
The View Sonic I got for under $400 brand new and so far it's awesome with my set up of a speaker since the View Sonic's internal speaker is super weak and quiet but functional.
Thanks given by:
bavanut (01-04-2021), Blu-Ray 3D President (01-05-2021), Paul H (01-05-2021), revgen (01-04-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors

Tags
comparison, polar 3d, shutter 3d