Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

The Croods: A New Age 3D (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Dynasty 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Pirates! Band of Misfits 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

House of Wax 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89

Shazam! 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Friday the 13th Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
1 day ago
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99

The 3-D Nudie-Cuties Collection 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.71

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors

Old 10-01-2020, 04:17 AM   #1
Special Member

Jul 2009
Default OPPO to start making TVs- no word on 3D support

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/tv/news/opp...5-inch-2303121

Details are very sketchy, it isn't even clear what countries it will be sold in or whether it will include 3D but we can only hope. Oppo's disc players were designed with enthusiasts in mind and supported DVD-Audio and SACD even after those were declared "dead" by the mainstream. With that division being scrapped and their main focus being cell phones, it's hard to say who these will be targeting but again there's always hope. (I never expected they would ever make TVs after getting out of the disc player market- their players really were the best and it would be great to have TVs designed with the same mentality.) My main complaint about the specs is that the largest will be 65 inches. I have a 75-inch now and won't ever settle for smaller than that.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:20 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Oppo is part of BBK Group who also owns OnePlus that launched its first Android TV intended for the global market in 2019. That TV was not 3D ready. Today it's all about Smart TVs and Streaming. 3D TV had it's chance. It didn't last.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:48 PM   #3

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
3D TV had it's chance. It didn't last.
But had a comeback in front projectors.

When the first 4K DLP projectors came out, these didn't support 3D.

Three years later almost all 4K DLP front projectors do support 3D (though DLP-Link only and no longer 3D-RF) and the big players JVC and Sony continue to offer 3D capabilities.

Although a niche, there are still 3D aficionados that would like to see 3D support to return to flat screens.

IMHO, it would be an opportunity for OPPO to engineer flat screens supporting 3D, but since I'm myself a 3D front projector user, I wouldn't be mad, if they didn't - because it benefits the sales of front projectors.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:39 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank169 View Post
But had a comeback in front projectors.
Not a comeback - a continuation. Probably the only display products today that still support 3D - the reason - it doesn't cost the manufacturers that much to do so.

Quote:
When the first 4K DLP projectors came out, these didn't support 3D.

Three years later almost all 4K DLP front projectors do support 3D (though DLP-Link only and no longer 3D-RF) and the big players JVC and Sony continue to offer 3D capabilities.
The projector market itself is a niche. So 3D on projectors is a niche within a niche.

Quote:
Although a niche, there are still 3D aficionados that would like to see 3D support to return to flat screens.
Sure - I would like to be ten years younger. I think we both have the same chance of getting our wish granted.

Quote:
IMHO, it would be an opportunity for OPPO to engineer flat screens supporting 3D, but since I'm myself a 3D front projector user, I wouldn't be mad, if they didn't - because it benefits the sales of front projectors.
You don't spend time and money supporting an almost dead format format on what you hope is a mass market product. Your opinion is nothing more than grasping at straws, sorry to say.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:14 PM   #5
Special Member

Jul 2009

Oppo's disc players weren't "mass market products", they were for enthusiasts who were willing to pay more to have the best- and that included support for the "dead" SACD and DVD-Audio formats because the discs are still out there and should be able to be played. It would be nice if there was just ONE company that made TVs with the same mentality.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:33 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post
Oppo's disc players weren't "mass market products", they were for enthusiasts who were willing to pay more to have the best- and that included support for the "dead" SACD and DVD-Audio formats because the discs are still out there and should be able to be played. It would be nice if there was just ONE company that made TVs with the same mentality.
Making 4K disc players is totally different than making TVs. The only way a boutique name TV exists is due to it's very high price - like Bang & Olufsen. And that is the opposite of what OPPO wants to do. They want to compete with Hisense and TCL - mass market TV manufacturers. Medium quality products for low prices.

Maybe you didn't see that article I posted a few days ago (in the HDR Discussion Thread): 3 out of every 4 TVs sold is $400 or less
Old 10-01-2020, 05:08 PM   #7
Special Member

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
They want to compete with Hisense and TCL - mass market TV manufacturers. Medium quality products for low prices.
That would be incredibly sad and destroy Oppo's reputation- there's enough cheap TV brands out there already. What reason would there be to seek out theirs over any other?

Interestingly these TVs will have a CAMERA mounted on top- I'm sure there's far more mainstream demand for THAT than 3D support, and so much more material out there that needs it.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:41 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

OPPO TV design revealed; will come with pop-up camera

https://www.gizmochina.com/2020/09/2...pop-up-camera/

True or False . . . the pop up camera can be used for a watch party (hottest thing going on streaming today).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors