Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Short Circuit 2 (Blu-ray)
$5.99
6 hrs ago
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 day ago
Rita Hayworth: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
4 hrs ago
The Golden Child (Blu-ray)
$16.99
14 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Runaway Train (Blu-ray)
$19.99
17 hrs ago
Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99
15 hrs ago
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34

Kuffs (Blu-ray)
$16.69
9 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 10-10-2020, 07:07 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2012
Colorado
20th Century Fox The Empty Man - October 23rd 2020

Quote:
Synopsis:

20th Century Studios' The Empty Man is a supernatural horror film based on a popular series of Boom! Studios graphic novels. After a group of teens from a small Midwestern town begin to mysteriously disappear, the locals believe it is the work of an urban legend known as The Empty Man. As a retired cop investigates and struggles to make sense of the stories, he discovers a secretive group and their attempts to summon a horrific, mystical entity, and soon his life--and the lives of those close to him--are in grave danger. Directed by David Prior from a screen story and screenplay by David Prior based on the graphic novel by Cullen Bunn, The Empty Man stars James Badge Dale, Marin Ireland, Stephen Root, Ron Canada, Robert Aramayo, Joel Courtney and Sasha Frolova. The film is produced by Ross Richie, p.g.a. and Stephen Christy, p.g.a.

Last edited by CrazyBlu-RayFan; 10-19-2020 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:20 AM   #2
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
UK

Erm, where did this come from? No trailer, no nothing, and yet still getting shoved out into the baron wilderness. The writings on the wall for this one I think.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:22 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2012
Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
Erm, where did this come from? No trailer, no nothing, and yet still getting shoved out into the baron wilderness. The writings on the wall for this one I think.
I got a trailer for this movie tonight when I saw Shortcut (2020) at my local AMC. It firmly confirms the October 23rd release date and states tickets are on sale now. I'm hoping it's good as the comics sound interesting (mix of detective thriller and supernatural horror) and have pretty decent reviews.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:24 AM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2010
Minnesota

This is opening in a couple weeks and there's no trailer?
Old 10-10-2020, 07:25 AM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBlu-RayFan View Post
I got a trailer for this movie tonight when I saw Shortcut (2020) at my local AMC. It firmly confirms the October 23rd release date and states tickets are on sale now. I'm hoping it's good as the comics sound interesting (mix of detective thriller and supernatural horror) and have pretty decent reviews.
Ah. They better get that trailer online ASAP.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:30 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2012
Colorado

Run Time: 2hrs 17mins

MPA Rating: Rated R for violence, disturbing images, language, some sexuality and nudity

Last edited by CrazyBlu-RayFan; 10-10-2020 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:49 AM   #7
Power Member

Oct 2010
South Wales, U.K

Quote:
Run Time: 2hrs 17mins

MPA Rating: Rated R for violence, disturbing images, language, some sexuality and nudity
Reading the synopsis and noticing the lack of promotion, I would've expected PG-13 and 90 minutes including credits.

But then, it is Disney who are releasing it, right?
Old 10-11-2020, 04:58 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2012
Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by indisposed View Post
Reading the synopsis and noticing the lack of promotion, I would've expected PG-13 and 90 minutes including credits.

But then, it is Disney who are releasing it, right?
Yes, Disney is releasing it under the 20th Century brand. However Disney only just pushed the release date up 2 weeks ago. It was originally supposed to come out December 4th and was pushed up to the 23rd, as stated here:

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/b...ay-1234773491/

So either Disney thinks this is a good Halloween movie, it sucks and are just dumping it, or maybe it's good and just doesn't have market potential and so they're dumping it.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:10 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Send a message via AIM to Britnasty

Not Disney finally throwing theatres a bone and it’s this shit that’s been on the shelves for 3 years.

However, same was said for Underwater and that’s still my favorite movie of this year so...
Old 10-11-2020, 05:19 PM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2016

Disney can at least post the trailer online!
Old 10-11-2020, 05:22 PM   #11
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2015
Indoors™

The entity looks like not-so-handsome squidward.

I wonder if it'll look better in the film.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:29 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

It's a small budget R rated Horror movie that Disney inherited when they bought 20th Century Fox. They can't drop it on Disney+ and they haven't been using Hulu for new movie drops. So might as well show it in theaters. If it flops the loss will be minimal. Use it as a tax write off.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:55 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2012
Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
It's a small budget R rated Horror movie that Disney inherited when they bought 20th Century Fox. They can't drop it on Disney+ and they haven't been using Hulu for new movie drops. So might as well show it in theaters. If it flops the loss will be minimal. Use it as a tax write off.
Not only that, but chances are, like New Mutants and all other unreleased Fox movies, it's contractually obligated for a theatrical release. Also, remember that HBO gets first dibs on streaming new Fox movies, so Disney Plus and Hulu are out of the question until HBO gets their run. Though it could maybe get enough of an audience considering it's only 1 of 2 new horror movies releasing in October and this one is actually R rated, unlike Come Play.

Last edited by CrazyBlu-RayFan; 10-11-2020 at 06:09 PM.
Thanks given by:
Lee A Stewart (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 06:05 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Not only that, but chances are, like New Mutants and all other unreleased Fox movies, it's contractually obligated for a theatrical release. Also, remember that HBO gets first dibs on streaming new Fox movies, so Disney plus and Hulu are out of the question until HBO gets their run. Though it could maybe get enough of an audience considering it's only 1 of 2 horror movies releasing in October and this one is actually R rated, unlike Come Play.
Ah - forgot about the Fox/HBO deal. That ends in 2022. The original deal was a 10 year deal done in August 2012.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:53 PM   #15
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2015
Indoors™

It has one of 3 choices at the moment. Go to theaters, go to HBO Max, or wait until god knows when (probably 2022) for either a D+ or Hulu release, or maybe both.

My bets are on theaters (whichever ones are still open, that is). However, I could well be surprised and they'll throw it on HBO Max.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:37 AM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2016

Saw the trailer in theatres tonight and it looked terrible.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:16 AM   #17
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
UK

So has someone at Disney uploaded the trailer to YouTube and accidentally unlisted it or what?
Old 10-12-2020, 01:14 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
So has someone at Disney uploaded the trailer to YouTube and accidentally unlisted it or what?
Presumably it’s just in theaters for now. Pre pandemic it wouldn't be that uncommon for studios to wait a while after a trailer appears in theaters to put it online, though in the current situation and with tickets for this movie already on sale, Disney should put it online soon (though personally I feel there can be something nice about getting a fresh experience in the theater without having seen a trailer beforehand).
Old 10-12-2020, 01:34 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
Maybe by the time they're done writing off Fox movies, they will make back the money they spent on Fox lmao
Old 10-12-2020, 02:18 PM   #20
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2015
Indoors™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazeRunner View Post
Saw the trailer in theatres tonight and it looked terrible.

[Show spoiler]
Well at least we know what the logo looks like.

They probably have no faith in this movie making any profit even more during these times so they are just silently releasing it in theaters that are open as well as only playing the trailer in theaters. It honestly feels like they are not even bothering on spending any marketing budget for this either. Maybe it just isn't worth the risk.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies