Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Short Circuit 2 (Blu-ray)
$5.99
7 hrs ago
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 day ago
Rita Hayworth: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
5 hrs ago
The Golden Child (Blu-ray)
$16.99
15 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60
 
Runaway Train (Blu-ray)
$19.99
18 hrs ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
 
Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99
 
Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99
16 hrs ago
Log Horizon: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$48.99
5 hrs ago
Kuffs (Blu-ray)
$16.69
10 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2021, 02:57 PM   #81
levcore levcore is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
levcore's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Dryland
128
1854
3
Default

Isn't this based on a series of graphic novels? Not sure it qualifies as an original horror movie.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 03:46 PM   #82
rooboy78 rooboy78 is online now
Expert Member
 
rooboy78's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
10
352
2
2
1
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
Isn't this based on a series of graphic novels? Not sure it qualifies as an original horror movie.
True, it is, however I donít know how much of the story from the graphic novels is used here beyond the legend/folklore of the Empty Man as a character. From what I can find it seems the characters in the movie may be original and were written into a story using the Empty Man. Either way, as a graphic novel itís not a well known property so it still presents itself as fresh original material to me and something different than what we usually get.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:01 PM   #83
VictoryAtNight VictoryAtNight is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
VictoryAtNight's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Behind the wheel of my Civic [DX]
63
1022
394
4
92
1
Default

Wow, I like that intro in the mountains. This movie was really good and worth buying!

If redbox was selling the DVD for $4, Iíd buy it just so I can watch it again.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:05 PM   #84
rooboy78 rooboy78 is online now
Expert Member
 
rooboy78's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
10
352
2
2
1
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryAtNight View Post
Wow, I like that intro in the mountains. This movie was really good and worth buying!

If redbox was selling the DVD for $4, I’d buy it just so I can watch it again.
I bought the digital (and I will admit the picture quality is fantastic) but as a lover and collector of physical media I’m super bummed this didn’t get a Blu-ray release!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Schmegory (02-03-2021), VictoryAtNight (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 05:06 PM   #85
Chaotic Chaotic is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Chaotic's Avatar
 
Mar 2009
Denver, CO
Default

Impressive that a 137 min major studio horror movie only has 1 jump scare.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:12 PM   #86
Jennifer Lawrence Fan Jennifer Lawrence Fan is online now
Blu-ray Jedi
 
Jennifer Lawrence Fan's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
Not In The Movie Theater :(
94
2112
888
300
490
283
639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
Impressive that a 137 min major studio horror movie only has 1 jump scare.
Might be why it was thrown away or Disney just didn't care and put it in few or many (when a lot was closed/locked down) and blamed that for bad returns
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:12 AM   #87
BluCollector13 BluCollector13 is online now
Special Member
 
BluCollector13's Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Los Angeles, CA
62
1579
1295
100
22
99
9
Default

Rented this from Redbox yesterday; watched it tonight.

Once they ditched the teenagers, it became a little more interesting, but that was already an hour in with another seventy to go. Ultimately, my big issue is that it's too many conflicting ideas and films in one with any real payoff being so few and far between, especially where the climax and its motivation is concerned.

I'd give it 3 out of 5.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:12 AM   #88
rooboy78 rooboy78 is online now
Expert Member
 
rooboy78's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
10
352
2
2
1
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluCollector13 View Post
Rented this from Redbox yesterday; watched it tonight.

Once they ditched the teenagers, it became a little more interesting, but that was already an hour in with another seventy to go. Ultimately, my big issue is that it's too many conflicting ideas and films in one with any real payoff being so few and far between, especially where the climax and its motivation is concerned.

I'd give it 3 out of 5.
The teenagers really only had one main scene in the middle of the movie so Iím not quite sure what your point is with that argument. It didnít follow them at all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:16 AM   #89
BluCollector13 BluCollector13 is online now
Special Member
 
BluCollector13's Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Los Angeles, CA
62
1579
1295
100
22
99
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy78 View Post
The teenagers really only had one main scene in the middle of the movie so Iím not quite sure what your point is with that argument. It didnít follow them at all.
I brought the sequence with the teens up because, besides the marketing making it the sole focus of the advertising, it was a very generic sequence that ultimately added nothing to the movie other than re-explaining the already paper thin mythos of the Empty Man that had already been established with the twenty minute prologue. It could have been cut and nothing would have been lost. Others will disagree, but that's my opinion on it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:07 AM   #90
Creed Creed is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Creed's Avatar
 
Dec 2015
Christ Church, Barbados
12
87
71
38
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluCollector13 View Post
I brought the sequence with the teens up because, besides the marketing making it the sole focus of the advertising, it was a very generic sequence that ultimately added nothing to the movie other than re-explaining the already paper thin mythos of the Empty Man that had already been established with the twenty minute prologue. It could have been cut and nothing would have been lost. Others will disagree, but that's my opinion on it.
It did unnecessarily extend the runtime.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:54 AM   #91
CrazyBlu-RayFan CrazyBlu-RayFan is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
CrazyBlu-RayFan's Avatar
 
Sep 2012
Colorado
40
693
6
3
54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy78 View Post
True, it is, however I don’t know how much of the story from the graphic novels is used here beyond the legend/folklore of the Empty Man as a character. From what I can find it seems the characters in the movie may be original and were written into a story using the Empty Man. Either way, as a graphic novel it’s not a well known property so it still presents itself as fresh original material to me and something different than what we usually get.
I read the comic and I can tell you, 98% of this movie is not from the comic at all, this is an "in name only" adaptation. Here's are the few similarities:

"The Empty Man Made Me Do It" message written on the mirror (but different context)

Missing persons case (but completely differently handled, in the comic it was two missing kids whose parents died being infected by The Empty Man)

A cult about The Empty Man (again, with many differences)

An comatose man being the source of The Empty Man (again, handled very differently)

That's it. The 3 days stuff wasn't in the comic, the detective being a host created by the cult wasn't in the comic, the character development or story wasn't from the comic, and they didn't even make The Empty Man a global pandemic like in the comic that eventually leads into borderline apocalypse territory. And I'm just tackling the surface of how different the movie is from the comic.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:05 AM   #92
BluCollector13 BluCollector13 is online now
Special Member
 
BluCollector13's Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Los Angeles, CA
62
1579
1295
100
22
99
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBlu-RayFan View Post
I read the comic and I can tell you, 98% of this movie is not from the comic at all, this is an "in name only" adaptation. Here's are the few similarities:

"The Empty Man Made Me Do It" message written on the mirror (but different context)

Missing persons case (but completely differently handled, in the comic it was two missing kids whose parents died being infected by The Empty Man)

A cult about The Empty Man (again, with many differences)

An comatose man being the source of The Empty Man (again, handled very differently)

That's it. The 3 days stuff wasn't in the comic, the detective being a host created by the cult wasn't in the comic, the character development or story wasn't from the comic, and they didn't even make The Empty Man a global pandemic like in the comic that eventually leads into borderline apocalypse territory. And I'm just tackling the surface of how different the movie is from the comic.
YEESH. I'm kind of intrigued to read the graphic novel if the film really took that many liberties with the source material.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:22 AM   #93
CrazyBlu-RayFan CrazyBlu-RayFan is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
CrazyBlu-RayFan's Avatar
 
Sep 2012
Colorado
40
693
6
3
54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluCollector13 View Post
YEESH. I'm kind of intrigued to read the graphic novel if the film really took that many liberties with the source material.
If you are interested make sure you get the following for the full story:

The Empty Man

The Empty Man Recurrence

The Empty Man Manifestation
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:06 PM   #94
rooboy78 rooboy78 is online now
Expert Member
 
rooboy78's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
10
352
2
2
1
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluCollector13 View Post
I brought the sequence with the teens up because, besides the marketing making it the sole focus of the advertising, it was a very generic sequence that ultimately added nothing to the movie other than re-explaining the already paper thin mythos of the Empty Man that had already been established with the twenty minute prologue. It could have been cut and nothing would have been lost. Others will disagree, but that's my opinion on it.
I can understand your point. I actually found the bridge scene to be one of the most effectively creepy and unnerving scenes in the movie and the follow-up discovery under the bridge later was chilling and really stuck with me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:34 PM   #95
Lacrymosa Lacrymosa is offline
Special Member
 
Lacrymosa's Avatar
 
Oct 2011
148
2098
1
49
Default

This movie really surprised me when I watched it back in October. I haven't read the source material, but it was creepy, had great performances, a eerie score, plus it gets pretty bizarre and I love films with cults. And those first 25 minutes are excellent. While I can admit the rest doesn't quite live up to that, it definitely kept me intrigued the whole time.

I'm disappointed it's not getting a physical release - perhaps in another country from Disney the way they have done their 3D titles outside of North America. I bought a 4K digital copy from Google Play, but I really do hate having just a digital copy.

I could be wrong, and time will tell, but I think this film will be appreciated more as time goes on, maybe not become popular, but I think it will find an audience over time.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Chaotic (01-22-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 09:49 AM   #96
HotRats HotRats is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
HotRats's Avatar
 
Mar 2009
Default

Pretty good, kind of a Mothman Prophecies mood to it, but it's let down by the excessive length. Could easily have lost half an hour just by trimming the fat from pretty much every scene and would have been much better for it
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:38 AM   #97
MikeScott MikeScott is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
MikeScott's Avatar
 
Jul 2010
Minnesota
483
Default

This started very promising. If I hadn't already heard that it did I may have thought I was in for a pleasant surprise. I still hoped maybe I would be but unfortunately the rest of the movie can't live up to it. It's still decent for a little bit but once it starts getting into the cult storyline it got kind of muddled and boring and pretty much stays that way the rest of the movie. I honestly don't think I'd cut anything from it but you definitely feel the runtime.

Anyway while it didn't work for me on a whole it's surprisingly not terrible. Like was already mentioned I do agree it could have a bit of a cult following one day.

5/10 ( C )
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:29 AM   #98
VictoryAtNight VictoryAtNight is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
VictoryAtNight's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Behind the wheel of my Civic [DX]
63
1022
394
4
92
1
Default

DVD disc is currently for sale @ redbox for $10. It will probably take up to 8 weeks for it to drop to the sweet price of $3.99.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
schwaarz (02-20-2021)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:06 PM.