Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Short Circuit 2 (Blu-ray)
$5.99
10 hrs ago
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 day ago
Rita Hayworth: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
8 hrs ago
The Golden Child (Blu-ray)
$16.99
18 hrs ago
Runaway Train (Blu-ray)
$19.99
21 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60
 
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99
 
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
 
Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99
19 hrs ago
Kuffs (Blu-ray)
$16.69
13 hrs ago
Ultraman Taro: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$18.99
18 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2020, 01:35 PM   #1
johndoyle123 johndoyle123 is offline
Special Member
 
Feb 2008
great britain
175
Send a message via MSN to johndoyle123
Default How long will our Blu-ray Discs last ?

A recent Canadian “study” has shown they believe the top end life span of a pressed blu ray disc to be 10-20 years. Despite us having numerous manufacturer stress tests and private aging study’s showing it being more likely 50-150+

https://www.canada.ca/en/conservatio...-cds-dvds.html

https://www.filmstories.co.uk/featur...blu-rays-last/

Where do you stand on this ? How long do you think your discs last
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 01:58 PM   #2
bhampton bhampton is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
bhampton's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
390
1871
17
5
18
Default

I’m thinking at this point they have a good chance of outlasting me.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
flyry (11-14-2020), RalphoR (11-12-2020), Ricky G (11-12-2020), Rzzzz (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 02:04 PM   #3
RalphoR RalphoR is online now
Blu-ray Count
 
RalphoR's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
The Forbidden Valley of NE Ohio
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
I’m thinking at this point they have a good chance of outlasting me.
Seriously, if you think about it that's all they need to do
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:51 PM   #4
Ricky G Ricky G is offline
Expert Member
 
Ricky G's Avatar
 
Aug 2019
Texas
71
410
3
85
1
Default




Depends on how you treat them and store them. Don't let your kids use them as Frisbees or leave the discs out on your coffee table like they're coasters and they'll be around forever ever.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:16 PM   #5
Wendell R. Breland Wendell R. Breland is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
North Carolina
87
681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoyle123 View Post
A recent Canadian “study” has shown they believe the top end life span of a pressed blu ray disc to be 10-20 years.
Way to many variables to predict a given life span. I have some CD's from 1983 (37 years old) and they still play just fine.

Burned disc life span is another subject.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
jkoffman (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 03:27 PM   #6
CSM101 CSM101 is online now
Special Member
 
CSM101's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
514
3504
508
14
Default

Most of my discs are just fine. I have a bunch of burned music discs that are over 20 years old and no issues. I have a few blurays that just stopped working. Hellboy 2, Enter The Dragon (first issue) , and most recently, Saw. I even have a few bronzed up discs that are still working. I personally think most of my discs will probably outlast me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:31 PM   #7
jkoffman jkoffman is offline
Senior Member
 
jkoffman's Avatar
 
Oct 2015
U.S.
16
2160
486
33
Default

The Canadian study shared here details recordable discs, not pressed. There's absolutely no info about the 10-20 year lifespan they suggest. And the FilmStories author's "study": "It took me only 13 discs to find one that would no longer work at all, and 11 more to find another." Come on.

I was a teen in the 80s and just the right age to be an early adopter of CDs. I've worked in music stores, had my own online media resale business starting with ebay in 1998, and worked in the music business for 30 years now. In all that time of handling at least 10,000 CDs, I could count on one hand the CDs I've seen that have literal rot, and usually of known titles from the 80s. Of my own CDs -- at its height, I had about 3000 -- and 2000 DVDs and BDs, I've never had a single one deteriorate or become defective. Do I think they'll last "forever"? Of course not, but carefully stored and only removed when playing is the bar we should be judging by.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Wendell R. Breland (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 03:37 PM   #8
Number 6 Number 6 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Number 6's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
In the Village.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoyle123 View Post
A recent Canadian “study” has shown they believe the top end life span of a pressed blu ray disc to be 10-20 years. Despite us having numerous manufacturer stress tests and private aging study’s showing it being more likely 50-150+

https://www.canada.ca/en/conservatio...-cds-dvds.html

https://www.filmstories.co.uk/featur...blu-rays-last/

Where do you stand on this ? How long do you think your discs last
I have many DVDs that I purchased in the 1990's that are as good today as they were when I purchased them. Given that, if you use and store your Blu-rays properly they'll last a very long time.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
jkoffman (11-12-2020), JohnAV (11-12-2020), Wendell R. Breland (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 07:32 PM   #9
johndoyle123 johndoyle123 is offline
Special Member
 
Feb 2008
great britain
175
Send a message via MSN to johndoyle123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoffman View Post
The Canadian study shared here details recordable discs, not pressed. There's absolutely no info about the 10-20 year lifespan they suggest. And the FilmStories author's "study": "It took me only 13 discs to find one that would no longer work at all, and 11 more to find another." Come on.

I was a teen in the 80s and just the right age to be an early adopter of CDs. I've worked in music stores, had my own online media resale business starting with ebay in 1998, and worked in the music business for 30 years now. In all that time of handling at least 10,000 CDs, I could count on one hand the CDs I've seen that have literal rot, and usually of known titles from the 80s. Of my own CDs -- at its height, I had about 3000 -- and 2000 DVDs and BDs, I've never had a single one deteriorate or become defective. Do I think they'll last "forever"? Of course not, but carefully stored and only removed when playing is the bar we should be judging by.
It mentions pressed discs in the bottom chart

But yeah I can’t find any scientific studies or ageing tests showing or backing it up
Everything I’ve found has shown disc media lasts much longer than predicted in the case of burnt discs

And exceptions are made for bad production and bronzing discs etc
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:36 PM   #10
jkoffman jkoffman is offline
Senior Member
 
jkoffman's Avatar
 
Oct 2015
U.S.
16
2160
486
33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoyle123 View Post
It mentions pressed discs in the bottom chart
Yes, I saw that, and as I said, there is no further info about how they arrived at that in the study.

Last edited by jkoffman; 11-12-2020 at 08:08 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:46 PM   #11
BijouMan BijouMan is offline
Expert Member
 
Feb 2020
-
-
-
Default

(Ultra HD) Blu-ray Discs should last forever if they were well-manufactured and are well-kept. Believe it or not, there is a type of BD-R called the "M-DISC" that is rated to last 1,000 years. If a disc "rots," that disc was poorly made.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:46 PM   #12
chriscreep23 chriscreep23 is offline
Junior Member
 
Nov 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoyle123 View Post
It mentions pressed discs in the bottom chart

But yeah I can’t find any scientific studies or ageing tests showing or backing it up
Everything I’ve found has shown disc media lasts much longer than predicted in the case of burnt discs

And exceptions are made for bad production and bronzing discs etc
Here's a a study/stress test article that someone on this site posted yesterday. The article made me more worried about the stability and longevity of blu-rays. The guy actually performed stress tests under certain conditions and blu-rays rated very poorly. In fact if you look at table 5, single layer read-only blu-rays scored even poorly than single layer read-only DVDs which means that even read-only DVDs have higher longevity than read-only blu-rays.

"The most recent generation of optical disc media available is the Blu-ray format. Blu-rays offer significantly more storage capacity than compact discs (CDs) and digital versatile discs (DVDs) and thus are an attractive option for the storage of large image or audio and video files. However, uncertainty exists on the stability and longevity of Blu-ray discs and the literature does not contain much information on these topics. In this study, the stabilities of Blu-ray formats such as read-only movie discs as well as many different brands of recordable and erasable media were evaluated. Testing involved the exposure of samples to conditions of 80 °C and 85 % relative humidity for intervals up to 84 days. Overall, the stability of the Blu-ray formats was poor with many discs significantly degraded after only 21 days of accelerated ageing. In addition to large increases in error rates, many discs showed easily identifiable visible degradation in several different forms. In a comparison with other optical disc formats examined previously, Blu-ray stability ranked very low. Other data from the study indicated that recording Blu-ray media with low initial error rates is challenging for some brands at this time, which is a factor that ultimately affects longevity."

https://www.semanticscholar.org/pape...68bd1c8d6663ab

Last edited by chriscreep23; 11-13-2020 at 08:52 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:01 PM   #13
chriscreep23 chriscreep23 is offline
Junior Member
 
Nov 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoffman View Post
Yes, I saw that, and as I said, there is no further info about how they arrived at that in the study.
Here's how

https://www.semanticscholar.org/pape...68bd1c8d6663ab
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 01:28 AM   #14
johndoyle123 johndoyle123 is offline
Special Member
 
Feb 2008
great britain
175
Send a message via MSN to johndoyle123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscreep23 View Post
As I’ve said before these are very aggressive tests being performed putting the medium in a process that realistically no disc will be up against.

It’s semantics, countless tests have been done prior to this by manufacturers etc and other “scientific studies” have shown replicated media and burnt media lasting far beyond estimated life spans
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
chriscreep23 (11-14-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 01:59 AM   #15
PenguinInfinity PenguinInfinity is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Apr 2017
540
3566
720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscreep23 View Post
Testing involved the exposure of samples to conditions of 80 °C and 85 % relative humidity for intervals up to 84 days. Overall, the stability of the Blu-ray formats was poor with many discs significantly degraded after only 21 days of accelerated ageing.
So what exactly is the fact that Blu-ray discs fail after 21 days of 80 degrees Celsius heat (which is 176 degrees Fahrenheit) supposed to prove?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 02:11 AM   #16
chriscreep23 chriscreep23 is offline
Junior Member
 
Nov 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoyle123 View Post
As I’ve said before these are very aggressive tests being performed putting the medium in a process that realistically no disc will be up against.

It’s semantics, countless tests have been done prior to this by manufacturers etc and other “scientific studies” have shown replicated media and burnt media lasting far beyond estimated life spans
Thanks for your reply. One final question. If you exclude environmental conditions, does frequent playback of a blu-ray pressed disc result in data loss or deterioration of the disc? Are Dvd's better in that department?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 12:36 PM   #17
johndoyle123 johndoyle123 is offline
Special Member
 
Feb 2008
great britain
175
Send a message via MSN to johndoyle123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscreep23 View Post
Thanks for your reply. One final question. If you exclude environmental conditions, does frequent playback of a blu-ray pressed disc result in data loss or deterioration of the disc? Are Dvd's better in that department?
I’m not sure on this one tbh
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 04:02 PM   #18
Anthony P Anthony P is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada
Default

1) I think they will outlast me.
2) that study is for recordable media so it does not apply to prerecorded
3) personal experience
a) I have BDs since 2006 (when it launched)
b) I have DVDs that are over 20 years old
c) I have CDs that are over 35 years old
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 04:12 PM   #19
Anthony P Anthony P is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
So what exactly is the fact that Blu-ray discs fail after 21 days of 80 degrees Celsius heat (which is 176 degrees Fahrenheit) supposed to prove?
don't use it to cook your pizza on for movie night (or you might not be able to watch the film afterwards)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 04:14 PM   #20
Anthony P Anthony P is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscreep23 View Post
Thanks for your reply. One final question. If you exclude environmental conditions, does frequent playback of a blu-ray pressed disc result in data loss or deterioration of the disc? Are Dvd's better in that department?
No. playback has no effect on a pressed disk.

That being said the more you manipulate the disk the more chances of fingerprints or scratches....
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
chriscreep23 (11-14-2020)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:00 AM.