Best SteelBook Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Braveheart 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Ultraman Taro: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
1 day ago
Ultraman Leo: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Made in Abyss Theatrical Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99

Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$42.99
1 day ago
Gattaca 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

An American Werewolf in London (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Dragon Ball Z: Season 9 (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Ef: A Tale of Memories & Melodies (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Transformers (Blu-ray)
$7.47

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks > SteelBook Collection Galleries

Old 12-30-2020, 02:57 PM   #1

Dec 2020
Default Steelbook from Ebay came in Damaged- Need some Advice!

Hello, everyone!

Hopefully, it is okay for me to create a new thread to ask a question about my particular case.

Anyways, long story short, I bought a steelbook off Ebay. I know! Don't judge me! XD The seller had multiple copies available and the picture was showing a steel in great shape. The product description listed NO specific damage and stated the item will be shipped with bubble wrap and in a box.

Well, it wasn't!

It was a steelbook from Zavvi. It even came in those carboard mailers Zavvi uses! The seller appears to have bought it from Zavvi, never opened the cardboard mailer to inspect for damages, just slapped their shipping label on top of the Zavvi label, mailed it to me, and then called it a day.

No box, no bubble wrap - so you can imagine I wasn't too happy.

Now, normally, I wouldn't make a fuss about this if the steel did actually arrive in perfect shape, but it did NOT.

Yes, the damage wasn't major, BUT I did pay a decent amount for it and I feel like for that money I should be getting a premium product.

I have attached some pictures of the damage so you guys can see and let me know what you think.

What would you guys recommend that I do? What would you do? Let it slide or pursue it?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Removed pictures out of respect for the seller as the matter was resolved. Thank you to everyone on here who helped.

Last edited by Kylo_Ren; 02-27-2021 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:26 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Knightmare

If that's the only bit of damage, I'd say it's *very* minor and not worth the fuss.

What is worth the fuss is if the listing did state it would ship in a box fully protected and wasn't, then you at least have the grounds to ask for a partial refund from the seller due to them not following through on that.
Thanks given by:
Blaze_Chamberlin (12-31-2020), canucksam (12-30-2020), El Rey (12-31-2020), EricDra7en (01-01-2021), formula_nebula (12-31-2020), gobad2003 (12-30-2020), Kylo_Ren (12-30-2020), michaelclarke (12-31-2020), pacificoduck (12-31-2020), panasonicst60 (12-31-2020), ps3bd_owner (12-31-2020), Texansfan26 (12-31-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 03:50 PM   #3
Power Member

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEco910 View Post
If that's the only bit of damage, I'd say it's *very* minor and not worth the fuss.

What is worth the fuss is if the listing did state it would ship in a box fully protected and wasn't, then you at least have the grounds to ask for a partial refund from the seller due to them not following through on that.
Agreed there, i think the context of the the description of shipping is important.

But also since you bought it on Ebay, I'm 99% you'll get a refund if you ultimately want to go that route!

Sorry that happened you
Thanks given by:
Kylo_Ren (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 04:26 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013

So the images aren't loading for me, but honestly you have 2 options:

If the damage isn't that big of a deal, then do nothing.
You can start a process of returning it, which guarantees your money back. The seller might also just want to give you a discount to keep it, since he/she has to refund the shipping and pay to get it shipped back
Thanks given by:
Kylo_Ren (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 05:20 PM   #5

Dec 2020

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I contacted the seller this morning and will give them some time to respond.

What would you consider a proper amount of time for them to respond? 48 hours?

If they don't respond, what is my next course of action? I've messaged them before and they are not very communicative. Do I then just select the "Return Item" option under my order or do I have to open a "Case" on Ebay? Are these two one and the same?

Normally, I wouldn't be picky, but this item was pricey and I feel like the description was dishonest.

On top of that, there is something dirty about ordering a steel from Zavvi, NOT inspecting it and then just selling it for $60+ without even checking for damage.

I would NEVER do that before selling a steelbook on Ebay.

I think I might have somewhat of a point here. haha
Old 12-30-2020, 05:38 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylo_Ren View Post
Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I contacted the seller this morning and will give them some time to respond.

What would you consider a proper amount of time for them to respond? 48 hours?

If they don't respond, what is my next course of action? I've messaged them before and they are not very communicative. Do I then just select the "Return Item" option under my order or do I have to open a "Case" on Ebay? Are these two one and the same?

Normally, I wouldn't be picky, but this item was pricey and I feel like the description was dishonest.

On top of that, there is something dirty about ordering a steel from Zavvi, NOT inspecting it and then just selling it for $60+ without even checking for damage.

I would NEVER do that before selling a steelbook on Ebay.

I think I might have somewhat of a point here. haha
Doing a return opens a case. I believe the best option is Item not as described. I would start the return process asap, as it puts the ball in their court. Ebay puts a time limit for a response for them
Old 12-30-2020, 06:44 PM   #7
Special Member

Apr 2013

I think if you wanted to return, you should have done that before opening item. If the packaging bothered you, return it. Don't open it and then try to back out of it.
Thanks given by:
DarkEco910 (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 06:59 PM   #8

Mar 2016
Greece.

If the disc(s) are in good condition keep the disc(s) and throw away the steelbook, unless you've got someone who can fix the steelbook and then buy a protective sleeve.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:00 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Knightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd97 View Post
I think if you wanted to return, you should have done that before opening item. If the packaging bothered you, return it. Don't open it and then try to back out of it.
This is why I feel it isn't right to request a full refund, but a partial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmamalis6 View Post
If the disc(s) are in good condition keep the disc(s) and throw away the steelbook, unless you've got someone who can fix the steelbook and then buy a protective sleeve.
Because the discs are worth $60+, right? Come on...
Old 12-30-2020, 07:28 PM   #10
Special Member

Apr 2013

If you dont find anything wrong and open it, how do you ask for a partial refund? If you see no damage and open, how is the seller supposed to see the damage?
Old 12-30-2020, 07:48 PM   #11

Nov 2009
England

Quote:
If you dont find anything wrong and open it, how do you ask for a partial refund? If you see no damage and open, how is the seller supposed to see the damage?
Exactly. The 'damage' is so small, I'm not surprised neither the seller or the buyer didnt see it (untill the buyer opened it.)

As said above, Ebay will almost certianly side with you if you wish to return the item for a full refund, but i'd seriously question if its worth the time/hassel for such a minor imperfection (in my opionion).
Old 12-30-2020, 07:50 PM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Knightmare

Quote:
Good points. I think in this regard the seller assumes ignorance as they never even opened the Zavvi mailer to begin with. But if shipping was paid by the buyer under the promise of a box and proper padding, that should be refunded. I guess that's what I meant to say to begin with but only thought that. Busy day at work here...
Thanks given by:
Blaze_Chamberlin (12-31-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 07:51 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013

Just do the seller a favor, don't waste time.

I sold my PS4 a couple months ago. It was received no issues..2 weeks later I get a message that it was damaged in transit. 2 weeks. I paid for shipping to get it sent back to me (I ended up selling it for more than the first auction lol) but it was beyond frustrating to deal with it so long after delivery.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:11 PM   #14

Jul 2020

It really depends. Given that it was shipped within Zavvi's shipping "box", I don't see how the corner got damaged at all being that the corners are protected. If there was a dent on the face, then that's understandable given that Zavvi's packaging is basically just sandwiched between two slits of cardboard. Having said that, the only recourse is to go by the seller's description of their packaging and shipping process. What exactly does it say? If it does in fact say bubble-wrapped within a box, then you may have grounds for a partial refund.

Given that the damage is so minimal, I don't know if I would pursue this personally. If I ever need eBay to step in for me, I'd rather save it for when it's really needed. Moreover, the damage looks like it could be "rolled out" with some patience.

There's no guarantee any item - no matter how much is spent and how well it's packed - will arrive safely in perfect condition - it's a gamble. I'd just politely let him/her know that the item wasn't shipped in the condition stated within the description and leave it open-ended. Don't ask for anything and see how they respond. I think a partial refund is fair in this case.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:50 PM   #15

Apr 2018

I do a lot of buying & selling on eBay and I for one make sure with my own eyes what I'm selling to someone is described as close to 100% accuracy. I put this own the seller for not seeing for sure for him/her self what they was shipping out. If it was me I would notify the seller about a refund give them 48 hours to respond then file a claim with eBay. eBay is pretty dang good about resolving problems. Does the seller offer returns in their listing? As a buyer I want what I pay for. Best of luck
Thanks given by:
Kylo_Ren (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 02:01 AM   #16

Sep 2007

I was expecting to see a decent-sized dent or scratch... and then I viewed the image.

I cannot tell from the discussion above whether the OP has opened the steelbook or has left it sealed other than the tiny area where the dent is. That is IMO important.

I don't believe that a dent could be physically smaller than that one. Also, it's on an edge that will never be seen. It's not like the dent is on the front or back of the case. A partial refund of 5-10% max is warranted IMO.

Assuming it is still sealed and unopened, then by all means, request a return, but don't be surprised if you get some resistance once the seller sees that image. At the very least, expect to be blocked by the seller from future purchases since he has to eat 2-way shipping.

If you actually opened the steelbook, then IMO you own it. Once the damage was discovered, no matter how minute, the merchandise should not be opened. If opened, the seller is doubly-screwed. Not only does he have to eat 2-way shipping but he can no longer sell it as new.

P.S. For a dent that small, I would categorize this as oversight rather than the seller being dishonest as the OP has claimed.
Thanks given by:
Blaze_Chamberlin (12-31-2020), DarkEco910 (12-31-2020), EricDra7en (01-01-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 02:12 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

That's hardly anything.

Also, what's with the gloves?
Thanks given by:
Texansfan26 (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 02:12 AM   #18
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2010
MS(the state, not the lady), USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyharmonies View Post
P.S. For a dent that small, I would categorize this as oversight rather than the seller being dishonest as the OP has claimed.
The OP also said it looked like it came straight from Zavvi with a new shipping label place on top of the original one. The way they package their stuff, you kind of have to rip or cut things in order to get into the box

btw to the OP... I've lived with damage like that before so I'd probably not say anything unless it was specified to be in mint condition
Old 12-31-2020, 02:27 AM   #19
Special Member

Jul 2015
Flat earth, upper Left hand Corner:)

Easy fix lay your steelbook on a clean flat surface, place a plastic scrapper in between clear plastic and metal lip of damaged cover near spine and gently pry clear plastic up and away from cover. When you have removed metal cover you will want to place cover against 2 surfaces that are square like half of a picture frame. Place some felt strips on half of picture frame so as not to damage steel book edges. Now finally place a full tipped flat head screw driver (I would use one you grinded down to shape for this purpose) and place it in the offending corner lol. Tap back out with a hammer and then snap your cover back on to the plastic case.
Old 12-31-2020, 02:42 AM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
Syracuse, NY

I wouldnt have blinked an eye at that to be honest. Only spine slashes, bad scratches or surface dents bother me. That's nothing.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks > SteelBook Collection Galleries