Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Love and Monsters (DVD)
$11.99

Country Music (DVD)
$38.00

Monster Hunter (DVD)
$17.96

Pokémon: DP Sinnoh League Victors - The Complete Season (DVD)
$29.96

The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection (DVD)
$29.99

Courage The Cowardly Dog: The Complete Series (DVD)
$20.28

Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel (DVD)
$13.25
1 day ago
The Secret Life of Pets 2-Movie Collection (DVD)
$9.99

All My Life (DVD)
$17.99

The Croods: A New Age (DVD)
$17.99

VeggieTales: 25th Anniversary 10-Movie Collection (DVD)
$14.99

Promising Young Woman (DVD)
$19.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 01-18-2021, 10:03 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
USA The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Rhoda, Phyllis and Lou Grant

Have done a thread search in this sub-forum, and there are no existing threads for The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Rhoda and Lou Grant (specifially the season sets of The Mary Tyler Moore Show released in the States by Twentieth Century Fox, and the season sets of Rhoda and Lou Grant released in the States by Shout! Factory).

Are the episodes uncut and are there any music cuts and/or substitutions? Considering trying out at least the first season of each show.
Thanks given by:
WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW (01-19-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 10:37 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Victorville, CA

There was another spin-off series in addition to Rhoda and Lou Grant - Phyllis, starring Cloris Leachman. It ran for two seasons.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 12:26 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieray1 View Post
There was another spin-off series in addition to Rhoda and Lou Grant - Phyllis, starring Cloris Leachman. It ran for two seasons.
That's much appreciated, many thanks. I only knew of the three related shows which I put in the thread title.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:49 AM   #4
Power Member

Dec 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Have done a thread search in this sub-forum, and there are no existing threads for The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Rhoda and Lou Grant (specifially the season sets of The Mary Tyler Moore Show released in the States by Twentieth Century Fox, and the season sets of Rhoda and Lou Grant released in the States by Shout! Factory).

Are the episodes uncut and are there any music cuts and/or substitutions? Considering trying out at least the first season of each show.
Going from memory...

MTM is uncut, except for a snippet of a song cut from a season 1 episode.

Rhoda seasons 2-5 were released uncut after season 1 was released mostly in syndication edits (something like 15 of 22 episodes were cut) and people rightly threw a shitfit over it.

Lou Grant is... oy. Seasons 1-4 are mostly uncut. Some episodes were timesped but uncut, a few were syndication edits. But overall, those seasons are fine. Season 5 is a mess, but it isn't Shout's fault. The uncut masters for the final season are supposedly missing or destroyed from the time MTM Enterprises was owned by the Brits and the God Botherer, so Shout wound up delaying the S5 release to put the season back together as well as they could. It's good enough, and probably the best we'll ever get unless Disney ever decides to search through their new holdings, find stuff like this, and restore it.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (01-19-2021), thatguamguy (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 02:36 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2016

According to a source on another board, that would be episode s1e10. However, I'm guessing that other source is also you. Whoever it was, I'm not sure how to grade their post, as the Christmas episode is actually episode 14, so I'm not sure if the cut is in episode 10 and it's not the Christmas episode or the cut is in the Christmas episode and it's not episode 10 (more likely, to me).

HTF also reports that the initial release had a flaw in the finale, they had standard end credits but the episode as aired has "curtain call" credits, specific to the finale. These were restored on a replacement disc.

Last edited by thatguamguy; 01-19-2021 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 01:21 AM   #6
Special Member

Mar 2011

I haven't seen it in a while, so recollection a little foggy, but Christmas and the Hard Luck Kid II is cut, The complete original version was released on vhs. Mary sings with the tv (White Christmas?), says for my next number I'm going to cry and does a little pirouette to dance of the reed flutes before being interrupted by the night man over the radio, there the scene resumes... There was a later episode that had some re-scoring, forget what season, Rhoda and Mary went to some kind of party...
Thanks given by:
thatguamguy (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 02:34 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012

are the individual seasons better than the complete set (looks like 28 vs 23 discs, but who knows about disc size and compression)
Old 01-20-2021, 03:04 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslein View Post
I haven't seen it in a while, so recollection a little foggy, but Christmas and the Hard Luck Kid II is cut, The complete original version was released on vhs. Mary sings with the tv (White Christmas?), says for my next number I'm going to cry and does a little pirouette to dance of the reed flutes before being interrupted by the night man over the radio, there the scene resumes... There was a later episode that had some re-scoring, forget what season, Rhoda and Mary went to some kind of party...
Thanks, that's very helpful, I have tracked down a Nick-at-Nite recording of MTM from about 25 years ago, I'm going to check it at some point soon to see if it's intact, so knowing what I am looking for is helpful.
Thanks given by:
hasslein (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 03:16 AM   #9

Feb 2019
NC, US

Quote:

Not sure if this helps any, but I have the Shout! box set of WKRP in Cincinnati and the music is tact. Shout! actually fought to get as much of the music in tact as possible for the series. I can't imagine they wouldn't have fought for uncut episodes of the other MTM shows.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 03:31 AM   #10
Power Member

Dec 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW View Post
are the individual seasons better than the complete set (looks like 28 vs 23 discs, but who knows about disc size and compression)
It is not 28 vs 23.

It's 22 for the originals, 23 for the complete set because the complete set represses a flipper from season 2 onto two single sided discs.

Amazon's listing of the original sets having 28 discs total is incorrect, as evidenced by the picture right there on the listing of the complete bundle

Which add up to 22 discs.

The all in one, 23 disc set is superior. The only change was to the former flipper and single sided discs are always preferable to flippers.
Thanks given by:
hasslein (01-20-2021), OceanBlue (01-20-2021), WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 03:37 AM   #11
Special Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricPeterTork View Post

It's 22 for the originals, 23 for the complete set because the complete set represses a flipper from season 2 onto two single sided discs.
I did not know they repressed the flipper.... I may have to replace mine now.... Oh and my season 7 is a four disc set because I have both discs with the different versions of the final episode...
Old 01-20-2021, 10:24 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylrichard02 View Post
Not sure if this helps any, but I have the Shout! box set of WKRP in Cincinnati and the music is tact. Shout! actually fought to get as much of the music in tact as possible for the series. I can't imagine they wouldn't have fought for uncut episodes of the other MTM shows.
It helps a lot. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I was going to ask about WKRP in Cincinnatti.

Last edited by OceanBlue; 01-20-2021 at 11:17 PM.
Thanks given by:
dylrichard02 (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 02:46 AM   #13

Feb 2019
NC, US

Quote:
It helps a lot. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I was going to ask about WKRP in Cincinnatti.
I doubt we will ever get it on blu-ray, but until then, I am very pleased with the DVD release from Shout!.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 03:17 AM   #14
Power Member

Dec 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylrichard02 View Post
I doubt we will ever get it on blu-ray, but until then, I am very pleased with the DVD release from Shout!.
WKRP on Blu is sort of pointless.

WKRP was shot on videotape so they could take advantage of a music licensing loophole that existed at the time for videotaped shows that benefitted mostly variety and late night shows. But WKRP was able to take advantage of it to get all that music at an affordable price.

And that's why it's been a rights quagmire since the original licenses ran out, and why music and dialog replacements have been so bad.

So, while WKRP on Blu might afford a small PQ increase, it'll never be HD, and probably wouldn't be worth it to Shout or Disney.
Thanks given by:
dylrichard02 (01-21-2021), OceanBlue (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 03:36 AM   #15

Feb 2019
NC, US

Quote:

WKRP was shot on videotape so they could take advantage of a music licensing loophole that existed at the time for videotaped shows that benefitted mostly variety and late night shows. But WKRP was able to take advantage of it to get all that music at an affordable price.

And that's why it's been a rights quagmire since the original licenses ran out, and why music and dialog replacements have been so bad.

So, while WKRP on Blu might afford a small PQ increase, it'll never be HD, and probably wouldn't be worth it to Shout or Disney.
Agreed. I doubt these will get any upgrades now, considering the way Disney is with licensing.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:00 AM   #16
Special Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Well, as I've put in numerous wish lists, if it were released region free in the UK where music licensing is not an issue, it would be a vast improvement, they could be uncut...

Back to MTM, Best Buy and Amazon have the complete series for $24.99 right now. Great deal for 7 seasons... Think I'll replace my season 2 flipper...
Old 02-19-2021, 12:25 AM   #17

Oct 2008

Where's Phyllis?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies