Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 2 (1983-1993) (Blu-ray)
$80.99

Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Vol. 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.99

Shazam! 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.99
11 hrs ago
Heart of Dragon (Blu-ray)
$26.99

The Walking Dead: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Nobody (Blu-ray)
$6.99
12 hrs ago
The Conjuring Universe 7-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Halloween Ends 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
1 day ago
The Barn (Blu-ray)
$18.47
7 hrs ago
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Black Adam 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 02-18-2022, 11:40 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2017
City of Angels
Default What are you currently Reading?

I don't read any on-going series. I usually stick with events and mini-series. As for current comics:

Marvel's Devil's Reign
DC's Dark Knights of Steel

Past comics:

Daredevil omnibus Vol. 2 by BMB and Alex Maleev
Old 04-25-2022, 12:38 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

The Dark Horse version of the unproduced screenplay for Gibson’s version of Alien 3.
Old 05-02-2022, 01:09 AM   #3

Dec 2021
Canada

A bunch of Graphic Novels over the past 2-3 Weeks or so...

Reckless by Ed Brubaker & Sean Phillips. Picked the first two volumes the first go, ended up reading both over the course of the same weekend (along with Brubaker's & Phillips's Cruel Summer, another amazing graphic novel). Anyway, picked up the last two volumes and loved each run I read. Really difficult to find any fault with any of the various series runs they've done...But the Reckless stuff is just perfect for dark, noir stories that range from the mid/late '60s to the late '80s (for the most part)...Only minor pet peeve is the storyline that focused on the main character's assistant. I kind of get how he'd eventually want to explore that character more, but I just thought it felt a little out of place at times. But oh well. This is really some of the best work being down out their right now in the grand scheme of comics...

All My Best Friend's Are Junkies by Brubaker & Phillips. I think that was the title. Great graphic novel set in a rehab facility. It's a brief, kind of a read in one-sitting (like the best of their stuff, you just feel the story propel you ahead, so before you know it you've blown through the story).

Sage of the Swamp Thing. Started with the first "BOOK" (I'm trying to collect the softcovers released a while back) in the Alan Moore run (and I'm currently confused between two artists both coming to mind for some reason, but the main artist is just stellar; I'm sure I'll think of the name later but oh well). And wow. I've read almost all of the other major work Moore has done, but I can't believe I had put off reading this til now. I was blown away by the written word and the artwork and how they just flow. It feels seamless. And for a character that I typically haven't loved the character of Swamp Thing (a lot of that has to do with being a kid and trying to watch that crappy Swamp Thing cartoon series (I think it existed) and the toys of said series I briefly collected/amassed once long ago), but this takeaway by Alan Moore is just a delightful read. And surprisingly accessible.

Bone: The Complete Series by Jeff Smith - Well, eventually I'll get through this...I kid, I kid. It's a delightful read so far, and I'm only a quarter or so of the way into it. It's filled with fantastical plot devices and a nice mixture of humour and drama. A good way to pass the time, and the great artwork really helps in conveying the character's emotions. And I totally get why this book is often cited as appealing to both adults as well as kids and young adults. It's just got this great mixture of humour, along with enough subtext so that a lot of kids are just going to enjoy for the humorous tale it weaves, and other (more then likely adults) can enjoy the subtle jokes and animation humour that they might only appreciate later on in life. Amazing deal/steal, too, as I got the black/white softcover for like $60 CA (within the current exchange rate I thought it would be higher, but that's essentially what I paid, I believe), for like a 1300 page opus.

The Sandman by Neil Gaiman and various artists. Hmmmm. Yummy. I mean, it does take a little bit to really win you over, but once it does you're pretty much hooked. I've read through the first four (softcover) volumes so far, but hope to maybe be able to pick up at least volumes five and six "in-store" (hopefully) sometime this next week. Some stories were better than others, but I just found the stories just kind of welcomed me in...Once I started an issue I would find it hard to become dis-engaged. It just has this weird lull...I enjoy the darkness and the humour, and the insanely detailed and twisted artwork. Shoulda read this years ago, but, hey, at least I can kind of read on my own leisure...Would've sucked having to wait for this series month by month...But I kid...

The Fade Out by Brubaker & Phillips. Thought I might was well add this. Another great story by this great team, obviously inspired by their love for old school hard-boiled film noir. While I like some of their other tales a bit better than this, it's still a great read (and at a pretty decent price, for what you're getting). I was impressed by this, reading it in one sitting. I just know it wasn't quite the same as when I finished Cruel Summer or any of the Reckless books...It's a story that was pretty intelligent and done in a certain style, but it feels like another "par for the course" for the Bru/Ellis team. I can't really expect any more from them...it's just a well written, well drawn book...

Also bought some Hellblazer graphic novels (the softcovers). Bought Book 1 (Delano), and Books 5-6 (when Ennis takes over). Bought 1 just to get started on the series, then intend to dive into the Ennis run (I know, I know, pretty sure I have to buy another volume or two after these ones, as I know he wrote more)...I've never had an issue reading the Hellblazer comic books non-sequentially...like, I remember picking it up again when Azzarello came aboard and I collected it for a good 15-20 issues or something like that, as well as reading other comics based on the creators involved. They're generally great to excellent but you never know. I just know I loved the Azzarello run, and I had read the odd Ennis one when I picked them up the odd time, and even some of Warren Ellis's run, which I liked a lot and look forward to re-reading...So I figure, I was loving Ennis was doing on Preacher, and being familiar with Hellblazer as a character, I was like, I'm reading those next, as it's usually cited as the best runs in the series, or at least right up there. After these, I hope to get the Ellis run, as well as the other Ennis books (one or two, I think)...Already got the Azzarellos in either single issues, and the odd graphic novel (like that prison-set story that was awesome), so I'd rather not re-buy those ones, unless I look into it and I'm missing some key story, than maybe I'll re-buy, just to have them in the one set.

Had a lot of spare time the past while...Just what I've been reading recently...Like said, right now I'm most excited to keep looking at the Alan Moore run on Swamp Thing, finishing more of Bone (which can be done at a leisurely pace; story doesn't have to be rushed to be enjoyed), probably looking into more Hellblazer and Sandman graphic novels to be picked up...Yeah, those were some of the key works that I was just never actually getting around to reading, aside from the odd issue here and there, but most titles I was pretty much brand new to. Looking forward to reading this stuff I currently have on the plate...

Oh...Also bought the complete 2-Volume Strangers in Paradise Omnibus by Terry Moore. Had read and heard so much about the series when I was younger, and I always regretted never getting into it. When I went to my nearest comic store and saw this badboy on sale, I just couldn't help myself. I picked this mammoth thing up and can't wait to read it. When I do read this particular series, I want to just focus on that and only that. There's occasions where I'll kind of bounce around while reading and might have 2 graphic novels on the go along with some works of non-fiction, but this is one of those instances where I just want to focus on this book alone. It reminds me when I waited and waited til Season Three of Twin Peaks came out on Blu-Ray. I waited and waited and when I cracked it open, it's all I watched for like 3 or 4 nights. Didn't watched anything in between the episodes or anything like that. It was great to watch it that way, and I'm hopeful that these volumes draw me in in a similar fashion and I just fly through them...

Last edited by MacCready; 06-14-2022 at 01:35 AM. Reason: more thoughts
Old 05-03-2022, 12:00 AM   #4

Dec 2021
Canada

Stray Bullets: Sunshine & Roses: Volumes 1-4 by David and Maria Lapham. Just a perfect continuation of an already great series. Perfect dark, noir tales, full of twists and turns. Over the course of the series, it really feels that certain characters were really revealed over time, even through the tiniest actions/gestures, or the constantly revealing dialogue. Loved this. Wish this wonderful team continues to be able to publish more and more tales set in their "Stray Bullets" universe...

Astro City: Book One. Brief review. Was a bit let down at this, after hearing so many great things about it, especially in the era it first came out. I don't know, it's definitely a "confident" book, and it does feel like a decent enough superhero book, but it's just not as "ground-breaking" as I was kind of believing it would be. I can see how it would've stood out at the time, but I've preferred Busiek's runs on Avengers and especially, Thunderbolts. Those runs remain personal all-time favourites, and are incredibly hard to top (I think he also played a main role in the Avengers: Forever comic book storyline, which I just loved and loved). But Astro City sometimes feel like it's a bit bloated from too much dialogue or thought bubbles (or, more often than not), kind of long and unnecessary descriptions at times. Still a good book, but I hold Busiek in too high-esteem, at times. Was also pricey, and I almost wished I had gotten another book in the Hellblazer series instead...But oh well, it was serviceable, if anything.

Forgot I also read Garth Ennis's and Darick Robertson's first two volumes of The Boys. Can't say I'm loving it that much right now. It does have it's odd funny moment, but just feels a lot more subdued than Ennis's better projects, obviously Preacher can't help but not pop up. Seems written ike it wanted to be a tv show right off the bat, like a good intellectual property thing to have. I still love the majority of it (especially of the typical humour you expect from Ennis), and the artwork is great, although Darick Robertson's masterwork will always be his collaboration with Warren Ellis on Transmetropolitan. The stories are generally overly verbose, and occasionally, only occasionally, the artwork looks a bit cramped or rushed as a result. It's weird, but I've read like like 480-600 pages of this tale so far, and I just haven't become hooked. Like, maybe it'll just take time, but even when I picked up the second volume, it kind of stayed in my unread pile for longer than it should've. I just wasn't as pumped to get back into that story as opposed to exploring other graphic novels I had put off watching for quite some time...That said, I'm sooooooo going to pick up the first two seasons when they come out on Blu-Ray...I can't help myself and do want to see how it translates to television...

Last edited by MacCready; 06-14-2022 at 01:37 AM. Reason: added thoughts
Old 05-04-2022, 03:24 AM   #5

Dec 2021
Canada

Kill Or Be Killed by Brubaker and Phillips. First three volumes. Terrific work, once again, and this time with a somewhat demonic angle (it seems). Really just solid work once again. I'll pick up the fourth as soon as I'm able to...went through the first three in what felt like 2 hours tops (probably much less), cause I had to find out where it was headed next...

About halfway through John Constantine: Hellblazer Volume I - Original Sins. Pretty good so far...maybe slightly above average, given the time it was made. More looking forward to the other big upcoming writers, but, hey, I've also heard Delano's initial run had it's great moments, too, so I'm still checking them out, but I'll be bouncing around the Volumes a bit, more focusing on certain writers or certain artists, as a lot of the plots are kind of self-contained and whatnot...Favorite run I've ever read was the Azzarello run (but that was single issues, which were great, so I'm not sure if I need to re-buy them in the trade paperback format), but I've never read the much-heralded Ennis run, nor the brief Warren Ellis bits, any of the Jenkins stuff...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Comics