Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Attack on Titan: The Final Season - Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The King of Braves GaoGaiGar: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$67.81

Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon - Season 2, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

The Demon Girl Next Door 2: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Inu-Oh (Blu-ray)
$18.35
1 day ago
Redo of Healer: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$36.68

Attack on Titan: The Final Season - Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Fate/Stay Night: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Blue Thermal (Blu-ray)
$21.99
1 day ago
Record of Ragnarok: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation - Season 1, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$39.50

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 11-23-2022, 10:14 PM   #581
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2006

Don’t know what the update is but dirty pair just had an update it’s backer only.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:19 PM   #582

Feb 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman2000 View Post
Donít know what the update is but dirty pair just had an update itís backer only.
Not much to report, really:

Quote:
Hello all,

Joe DiGiorgi, the dubbing director for Dirty Pair, is here with an update to share!

The big news is that Pam Lauer has finished recording! That means the voice of Kei is complete for all 26 episodes!

Jessica Calvello (the voice of Yuri) has more sessions set up for the next few weeks, and the backers who have voice acting roles as tier rewards will be making their way to New York in the near future, as well. Step by step, the dub is moving closer to completion!

In the meantime, have a wonderful week, and a Happy Thanksgiving!

-Judy, Producer
Old 11-23-2022, 11:34 PM   #583
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelonepig View Post
Not much to report, really:
What I get from that is spring summer or fall the latest is when it will it be released.

Last edited by batman2000; 11-24-2022 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-24-2022, 12:46 PM   #584
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
United States

I can't say I'm pleased with the delay. If it was going to take this long they should have said so at the outset.

And I really couldn't care less about a retired voice actress having to go to all this trouble to record her part. Cry me a river. She's getting paid for it, and no one forced her to do it. I'm never going to listen to the dub anyway, so it could be in Thermian and I wouldn't care.
Old 11-24-2022, 02:00 PM   #585
Blu-ray Champion

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

So they're dubbing 40+ episodes for Dirty Pair, and the Kickstarter has been out for a little over a year - it took almost 2 1/2 years for us to receive the Time of Eve movie from that Kickstarter, and they were only dubbing a 106 minute movie.

Thanks given by:
dr727 (11-28-2022), gloomranger (11-24-2022), thelonepig (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 06:22 PM   #586
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
United States

That's not my point. My point is they should have been up-front with a realistic time frame.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:58 PM   #587
Blu-ray Champion

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGW View Post
That's not my point. My point is they should have been up-front with a realistic time frame.
My point is, an anime Kickstarter always runs way over the original timeframe - two or three times as long is pretty much the norm, especially if they add a lot of stretch goals to the project. Time of Eve Kickstarter started in March of 2013 and was originally scheduled to ship in October 2013, but didn't actually ship until May 2015. I've pledged in almost 20 anime Kickstarters now - that is just the nature of the beast. They have no way in hell of knowing what a realistic timeframe is actually going to be.
Thanks given by:
dr727 (11-28-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 12:00 AM   #588
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2014
Atlanta GA

I'm happy they went to the trouble of bringing the original voice actors back. Since they aren't redubbing the OVAs or movies, the consistency is nice. They could've handled it better though. It looks like this dub isn't using any remote recording, which would've actually been useful for Pam and Jessica. Even if Pam doesn't have her own home studio, they could've rented one, or maybe pay Jessica to let her use hers. Or they could've just had the dub produced in Texas at Sentai or wherever (although I think Jessica lives in Austin).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls With Guns View Post
So they're dubbing 40+ episodes for Dirty Pair, and the Kickstarter has been out for a little over a year - it took almost 2 1/2 years for us to receive the Time of Eve movie from that Kickstarter, and they were only dubbing a 106 minute movie.

They're dubbing 26 episodes of Dirty Pair. The 10 OVA episodes, 3 movies, and Flash are already dubbed.
Old 11-25-2022, 12:48 PM   #589

Apr 2018

Im sure the pandemic and Crunchyroll merger stalled things as well.
Old 11-25-2022, 01:56 PM   #590
Special Member

Oct 2011

I do wish if possible they would have recorded the lines for those that paid that tier for doing a small role while they were waiting though.
Old 11-25-2022, 03:21 PM   #591
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011

im interested to know what other regional Plans the future Holds
Old 12-28-2022, 04:17 PM   #592
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2012
Funkytown

Ugh, I hate it when a kickstarter goes radio silent. Yeah, I know there's been delays and production side issues, but how hard is it to give us a "Hey guys, the project is ticking along nicely"?
Old 12-28-2022, 05:25 PM   #593
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2017
Bluegrass State

The last email I received was November 21th 2022
Project Update #37: Let's Dub the Dirty Pair TV Series! by Nozomi Entertainment

And given the takeover of Rightstuf, the Holidays etc, I'm thinking we'll get something next month

PS: Unless of course the person that is in charge of putting out the Project Update emails was let go and the
position forgotten about by the New Owners

Last edited by BWBODDY; 12-28-2022 at 06:47 PM.
Thanks given by:
thelonepig (12-28-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 06:28 PM   #594
Blu-ray Champion

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

With all that they have to get done yet, I wouldn't expect Dirty Pair to ship out until June or July.
Thanks given by:
BWBODDY (12-28-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 09:11 PM   #595
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2021

Guess a lot of people here must be new to Kickstarter. In my experience itís when theyíre on time that Iím surprised. Another reason I donít really back projects much anymore.
Old 12-28-2022, 09:42 PM   #596
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2014
Atlanta GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Fez View Post
Ugh, I hate it when a kickstarter goes radio silent. Yeah, I know there's been delays and production side issues, but how hard is it to give us a "Hey guys, the project is ticking along nicely"?
In the last update, they said they were going to have some backers (the ones that paid the highest tier) coming in over the holidays to record cameos in the dub. They also said Jessica Calvello was going to come into record early in the new year. So I'm not surprised we haven't heard anything.

This is nothing compared to an IndieGogo I backed all the way back in 2015, Hullabaloo. They still haven't finished producing those 4 animated shorts, and we're still getting periodic updates (the last one was a month ago).
Thanks given by:
BWBODDY (12-28-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 09:57 PM   #597
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2017
Bluegrass State

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilZ View Post
Guess a lot of people here must be new to Kickstarter. In my experience itís when theyíre on time that Iím surprised. Another reason I donít really back projects much anymore.
The Dirty Pair is and will be the only Kickstarter I'm involved in!
I have enjoyed the OVA's and Movies for years, and being able to be a part of the English Dub for the Series
well I couldn't help myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffOliver View Post
In the last update, they said they were going to have some backers (the ones that paid the highest tier) coming in over the holidays to record cameos in the dub. They also said Jessica Calvello was going to come into record early in the new year. So I'm not surprised we haven't heard anything.

This is nothing compared to an IndieGogo I backed all the way back in 2015, Hullabaloo. They still haven't finished producing those 4 animated shorts, and we're still getting periodic updates (the last one was a month ago).
And it's only been just over a month since our last Dirty Pair update,
so I for one am not worried at all

Last edited by BWBODDY; 12-28-2022 at 10:04 PM.
Thanks given by:
armand77 (12-28-2022), GeoffOliver (12-28-2022), NeilZ (12-29-2022), Tylerfan (12-29-2022)
Old 01-11-2023, 01:18 PM   #598

Apr 2018

Happy New year! Still no new update so far?
Old 01-11-2023, 06:14 PM   #599
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2014
Atlanta GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmint View Post
Happy New year! Still no new update so far?
Happy New Year! If there was, they wouldíve sent one to us and someone wouldíve posted it here. In the last update, they said they would still be recording into January at least, so Iím not worried at all.
Old 02-02-2023, 04:56 PM   #600
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.

https://kickstarter.com/projects/160939828/lets-dub-the-dirty-pair-tv-series/posts/3721540

Quote:
UPDATE # 38 Backers only

Dirty Pair Kickstarter February Update!

Hello all,

We hope you had a wonderful holiday season, and that your 2023 is going well so far! Let's dive right in to this February update:

There was no dubbing news to share for a while, unfortunately, due to the dubbing director coming down with COVID-19. He's the heart of the project (and the studio), so until he was back on his feet, there wasn't much to be done. However, we're happy to report that he's back to full health, and dubbing has resumed! One of the voice actors, Nicholas Corda, was in the studio the other day, and here's a glimpse at how it went...

::: see post :::

However, there's more to this Dirty Pair release than just its dub! Even though recording stalled for a time, we producers here at Nozomi have continued to work on our part of the project. The latest part we've just completed is upscaling the subtitles.

There are two big differences between subtitles on a Blu-ray versus a DVD: the resolution, and the framerate. When it comes to DVDs and Blu-rays, each subtitle you see is a picture file. Because of the resolution difference between SD video and HD video, if we were to just take the subtitle images from the DVD project and paste them onto the Blu-ray video, it would look like tiny little pictures of 720x480 text floating in the middle of a 1920x1080 screen.

The second hurdle is the framerate. The old SD version of Dirty Pair has interlaced frames, and displays 29.97 frames every second. Meanwhile, the HD version of Dirty Pair has no interlaced frames, and runs at 23.98 fps. This means the timing for subtitles will be different. For example, say that on the DVD project, a subtitle was marked to come onscreen at the timecode 01:11:45:29. That last number, 29, represents the 29th frame in that particular second. However, the new HD video doesn't have a "29th frame", so the subtitle will error out and not be displayed.

The fix for all of this is to go back to the subtitling project files from 10 years ago, and use those as a starting point for retiming and re-exporting. It's not a quick process, but we're happy to report that it is now complete.

We've seen people's comments wondering about the status of the project. It's perfectly understandable, and we're sorry that there hasn't been much to report in the last couple of months! Unfortunately, when the dubbing process hits delays, it affects the timing of every part of the project. (We can't encode audio until the dubbing is finished, we can't author Blu-ray discs until the audio is encoded, there would be no sense in printing Blu-ray covers before they're ready to be used, etc.)

In a normal anime release, this type of production delay would be invisible to you, the end viewer. If this Dirty Pair release were being handled like a normal project, after the initial license announcement, there wouldn't be any more public information about the release until the project was close to being finished - close enough that we could be confident in setting a date for it.

However, this is not a normal release! You have joined the project as its direct patrons, and thus you are experiencing the whole process alongside us, even when it hits snags or delays. But let me reassure you once again: we are continuing to move forward on the project, and we have every intention of delivering you beautiful new Dirty Pair Blu-rays, with a brand new English dub for the TV series. Thank you for your patience as we take the steps to make this a reality!

-Judy, Producer
Thanks given by:
Bobo1313 (02-02-2023), BWBODDY (02-02-2023), FnordChan (02-02-2023), GeoffOliver (02-02-2023), Lionel Horsepackage (02-02-2023), Tylerfan (02-02-2023)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime