Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Attack on Titan: The Final Season - Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The King of Braves GaoGaiGar: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$67.81

Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon - Season 2, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Inu-Oh (Blu-ray)
$18.37
1 day ago
The Demon Girl Next Door 2: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations: Set 14 (Blu-ray)
$32.31

Sword Oratoria: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? On the Side: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.29
10 hrs ago
Blue Thermal (Blu-ray)
$21.99
1 day ago
Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation - Season 1, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$39.50

Attack on Titan: The Final Season - Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Redo of Healer: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$36.68

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 11-30-2022, 12:21 AM   #10441

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
That would be Zima who published the DB and DBZ movies on Blu-ray, I'd guess.
Kaze also released DBZ Kai over there, but either way, I'd love for Latin America to get a hold of the French BDs. Even if Crunchyroll won't bring them in the US, having either Zima Entertainment or Kaze add English subtitles to a theoretical Latin-Spanish release would be the next best thing.
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 12:45 AM   #10442
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Plissken View Post
Kaze also released DBZ Kai over there, but either way, I'd love for Latin America to get a hold of the French BDs. Even if Crunchyroll won't bring them in the US, having either Zima Entertainment or Kaze add English subtitles to a theoretical Latin-Spanish release would be the next best thing.
There wouldn't be any legality issues for them to include English subs, right? But it probably couldn't be CR's subs so they'd have to use fan subs or make their own.
Thanks given by:
Harvey Plissken (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 10:23 PM   #10443

Jul 2022

Ajay's video on the remaster is now up.

Thanks given by:
ElectricMania (12-01-2022), Givemebackmygrain (11-30-2022), Harvey Plissken (12-02-2022), ps3bd_owner (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 10:49 PM   #10444

Aug 2021

Damn, this releasse brought Ajay from the grave. Excellent review. Lists all the positives and some of the enagatives BUT still a fairly satisfying releasse.

I'm eager to see how Volume 2 looks because it will have some of DB's best looking and worst looking episodes. Those Piccolo Daimao episode's look soo green on the Dboxes that it makes my eyes bleed. Very curious to see what AB did there.
Thanks given by:
Harvey Plissken (11-30-2022), ps3bd_owner (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 11:45 PM   #10445
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011

It was released today on Amazon France and it already has over 250 reviews!

https://www.amazon.fr/Dragon-Ball-Pa...dp/B0B8BGB552/

This is a very impressive release by all accounts and satisfies the majority of fans all over the world.

Please, please, CR, use their release!
Old 12-01-2022, 02:31 AM   #10446

Oct 2021

Quote:

This is a very impressive release by all accounts and satisfies the majority of fans all over the world.

I'd heavily consider a day one preorder of it if they do...that is if we get screenshots prior to the release.
Thanks given by:
Harvey Plissken (12-01-2022), ps3bd_owner (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 05:00 AM   #10447

Aug 2017

The only thing though would be how they do episode previews. Most US releases just skip them entirely and goes straight to the next episode no matter which language you choose. They could maybe get Doc Morgan to record NEPs for the original Dragon Ball, since his voice is close to Brice Armstrong's narration, and Kyle Hebert to do Z's NEPs. But, I sincerely doubt that Crunchyroll would want to spend the time and money to do that.
Old 12-01-2022, 06:06 AM   #10448
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2014
Atlanta GA

Quote:
The only thing though would be how they do episode previews. Most US releases just skip them entirely and goes straight to the next episode no matter which language you choose. They could maybe get Doc Morgan to record NEPs for the original Dragon Ball, since his voice is close to Brice Armstrong's narration, and Kyle Hebert to do Z's NEPs. But, I sincerely doubt that Crunchyroll would want to spend the time and money to do that.
DBZ had NEPs on TV in the US and on the last episode of each VHS tape, but they didn’t match the Japanese versions and were created by FUNi themselves. Sean Schemmel usually narrated them in-character as Goku, and they might even be able to repurpose some of them.

They could even get a little creative for DB and have Stephanie Nadolny record them as Kid Goku. It be more seamless anyway. I know she had some weird fallout with FUNi a long time ago, but she says she’s auditioning for them again, so I guess whatever blacklisting she was under is being softened.
Old 12-01-2022, 06:11 AM   #10449

Jul 2022

Quote:
The DBZ Dragon Boxes and Slayers seasons 1-3 had them hidden through the Japanese menu option so if they don't want to dub them they can just include them subbed and viewable for those who select Japanese on those menus.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:31 AM   #10450
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffOliver View Post
DBZ had NEPs on TV in the US and on the last episode of each VHS tape, but they didn’t match the Japanese versions and were created by FUNi themselves. Sean Schemmel usually narrated them in-character as Goku, and they might even be able to repurpose some of them.

They could even get a little creative for DB and have Stephanie Nadolny record them as Kid Goku. It be more seamless anyway. I know she had some weird fallout with FUNi a long time ago, but she says she’s auditioning for them again, so I guess whatever blacklisting she was under is being softened.
For the edited/Toonami broadcast eps, those were custom made for content and time constraints. For the uncut DBZ's eps, only the first 6 or so had the same remade NEPs as the edited/TV counterparts. By later uncut episodes, the NEPs footage also started to match up. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the oolllldd Madman R4 DVDs have some eps with the recaps and NEPs.

One of the other reasons Nadolny left Funi was that she became a full Union member around 2009 and later moved to California. Hence her roles (aside from occasional flashback stuff in modern DB media) were mostly transferred to Clinkenbeard after 2010 or so. Laura Bailey also moved to California and went Union SAG, hence her roles being transferred to Alexis Tipton.

Dameon Clarke (voice of Cell and other prominent DBZ characters) also moved to California around 2005 and went full Union, which lead to his roles being assumed by Ben Jeffery in GT and Travis Willingham for later games (that have new lines/grunts for Clarke's characters). Around the time of Kai, Clarke supposedly went Fi-Core due to slim Union pickings and so he also get non-Union gigs to survive on like DB. Ironically, Willingham later went Union after Kai and moved to California, while Clarke reassumed his roles in the games afterwards. If I'm also correct, J Michael Tatum and Jason Liebrecht (who were Jeice and Zarbon respectively in Kai) were Union after Kai (which lead to Sabat reclaiming those roles in later DB media) then ether dropped out or went Fi-Core which lead to them coming back to Funi.

If Nadolny says she's indeed working with Funiroll again, she might have recently gone Fi-Core as they're clearly allergic to Unions and I don't believe she's done Non-Union gigs ever since.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:37 AM   #10451

Aug 2018

Quote:

A vast majority of those reviews are inherited from the DVD. This is a terrible feature amazon has implemented a few years ago, it merges the reviews between numerous amazon front-ends (english, french, german, etc.) and related products (DVD from same distributor, or the same format by a different distributor) to artificially increase the reviews count.
Thanks given by:
BigOnAnime (12-01-2022), Gowho (12-01-2022), professorwho (12-01-2022), ps3bd_owner (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 07:28 PM   #10452

Aug 2017

When AB gets around to doing GT, that should be pretty easy to put together, since it's the only one that has all the NEPs fully dubbed and compatible with the Japanese ones.
Old 12-01-2022, 09:58 PM   #10453
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011

Much like the original GT Complete Collection, CR's set is also R1/R2/R4 so they've made it compatible for other regions when or if international buyers order it.

[Show spoiler]

You can tell the cover maker is a Dragon Ball fan as the original GT logo was used.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:09 PM   #10454
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

It's also possible Toei Animation mandated they change the logo. They've become more controlling of the franchise in recent years. See: Them mandating Freeza be spelt "Frieza", a spelling FUNimation made in the beginning and abandoned long ago until the Toei mandate came in for whatever reason.
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 10:15 PM   #10455
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2014
Atlanta GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBlackKnight View Post
For the edited/Toonami broadcast eps, those were custom made for content and time constraints. For the uncut DBZ's eps, only the first 6 or so had the same remade NEPs as the edited/TV counterparts. By later uncut episodes, the NEPs footage also started to match up. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the oolllldd Madman R4 DVDs have some eps with the recaps and NEPs.

One of the other reasons Nadolny left Funi was that she became a full Union member around 2009 and later moved to California. Hence her roles (aside from occasional flashback stuff in modern DB media) were mostly transferred to Clinkenbeard after 2010 or so. Laura Bailey also moved to California and went Union SAG, hence her roles being transferred to Alexis Tipton.

Dameon Clarke (voice of Cell and other prominent DBZ characters) also moved to California around 2005 and went full Union, which lead to his roles being assumed by Ben Jeffery in GT and Travis Willingham for later games (that have new lines/grunts for Clarke's characters). Around the time of Kai, Clarke supposedly went Fi-Core due to slim Union pickings and so he also get non-Union gigs to survive on like DB. Ironically, Willingham later went Union after Kai and moved to California, while Clarke reassumed his roles in the games afterwards. If I'm also correct, J Michael Tatum and Jason Liebrecht (who were Jeice and Zarbon respectively in Kai) were Union after Kai (which lead to Sabat reclaiming those roles in later DB media) then ether dropped out or went Fi-Core which lead to them coming back to Funi.

If Nadolny says she's indeed working with Funiroll again, she might have recently gone Fi-Core as they're clearly allergic to Unions and I don't believe she's done Non-Union gigs ever since.
Nadolny still lives in Texas. I'm FB friends with her. We don't ever talk directly, but it's still obvious from the posts she makes (she mostly sings professional gigs in the DFW area). I also listened to an interview with her where she said Steve Blum and Bob Bergen both suggested at a convention that she would find a ton of work if she moved to LA, but she didn't want to, since she moved around so much growing up. The reason she was replaced as KO in OK KO was because they wanted an LA local actor to record with the rest of the cast, and she had to either fly or record remotely for that show (this was pre-COVID). She was only cast in that role because the show's creator specifically wanted the character to sound like Kid Goku. It's still a mystery why she was let go from DB in 2010, but she's confirmed many times that it was not her choice. She did one interview where she said an unnamed boyfriend "aired her business" to ruin her reputation. She also got a ton of DUIs in the 2000s, which may not have helped (she did mention in one interview that she was struggling with her mental health for a very long time). I remember seeing one of her resumes that said she was SAG-Eligible. In a right-to-work state, that means she can continue to work non-union as long as she wants. It's similar to fi-core unless you work in a non-RTW state.

Ben Jeffery voiced Cell in the Blue Water dub. Dameon reprised the role in FUNi's DBGT. It's true that he did move to LA and appear to join SAG at one point though, but he seems to have no issue now, especially since Okatron 5000 also has a satellite studio in LA now. He did use an alias at one point for a few games ("Dartanian Nickelback"), but the only times he was actually replaced were for a handful of video games between 2009 and 2014 (with Travis) and for flashbacks in DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters (with Jim Foronda).

I'm honestly not sure why Tatum and Liebrecht were let go as Zarbon and Jeice. Vic Mignogna was also dropped as Burter (who also went back to Sabat) years before he was replaced as Broly due to his mess. The powers-that-be probably decided it was more cost efficient to just give all those roles back to Sabat.

Last edited by GeoffOliver; 12-01-2022 at 10:52 PM.
Thanks given by:
SpaceBlackKnight (12-02-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 11:46 PM   #10456
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffOliver View Post
one interview that she was struggling with her mental health for a very long time
I'm glad she didn't take her own life like two Country artists (Naomi Judd, Luke Bell) and a Power Ranger actor. (Jason David Frank) did this year

RIP to them, and to others.

Love her Kid Goku and Gohan voice over the current one (part of the reason is due to Clinkenbeard's Goku/Gohan sound too much like her Luffy, high pitched, and effeminate).
Thanks given by:
GeoffOliver (12-02-2022), Harvey Plissken (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 12:13 AM   #10457
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2014
Atlanta GA

Quote:
I'm glad she didn't take her own life like two Country artists (Naomi Judd, Luke Bell) and a Power Ranger actor. (Jason David Frank) did this year

RIP to them, and to others.

Love her Kid Goku and Gohan voice over the current one (part of the reason is due to Clinkenbeard's Goku/Gohan sound too much like her Luffy, high pitched, and effeminate).
I even remember her saying her divorce around 2016-ish was a big source of her most recent mental health and substance issues. Looks like she's gotten it all straight mostly, but I don't know her personally. She does a ton of conventions, big and small. Though I've noticed she never appears with Sabat or Schemmel, for what that's worth. She usually appears with Tiffany Vollmer, Cynthia Cranz, and Linda Young (and occasionally Sonny Strait and Eric Vale).
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (12-02-2022), SpaceBlackKnight (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 01:12 AM   #10458
Banned

Aug 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOnAnime View Post
a spelling FUNimation made in the beginning and abandoned long ago until the Toei mandate came in for whatever reason.
I assume by "abandoned" you mean solely in their subtitled for the Japanese version because every piece of Funimation media that's dubbed, still had the i in Freeza.
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 03:49 AM   #10459

Aug 2017

I finally bit the bullet and just ordered AB's Dragon Ball Blu-Ray set via Amazon France. Not only am I looking forward to having it in my possession, but I'm really looking forward to adding English subtitles to them, as well. Anime Ajay's video is what got me to do it.
Thanks given by:
Marisa Umino (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 06:34 AM   #10460

Aug 2021

I just hope crunchyroll redubs the entire series at some point from scratch. The Funi dub is seirously low quality by modern standards (Arguably even by 90s standards) So hoenstly this Nadonly situation really doesn't matter. If they are ever in a position to dub NEP's, they should go all they way and redub the entire series and replace her because she was frankly horrible as Goku and Gohan. DB's dub is marginally better than Z's but it still pretty watered down and in need of a full redub.

I will still always prefer the original JP voices but I would like people to have an accurate and proffesional sounding version of the show in English to enjoy. Kai was that to some extent, but even there Funimation couldn't help themselves and kept too many people who should have been kicked.

When they did replace actors it was a revelation. Chris Ayres as Freeza was great. Imagine how tragic it would have been if they kept Linda Young. See that's kind of what's still missing from the Kai dub. They didn't go all the way with it. So when and if they redub DB and DBZ they should finally throw out all the bagage.

Last edited by Givemebackmygrain; 12-02-2022 at 06:46 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime