Best Anime Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero (Blu-ray)
$19.96
 
Inu-Oh (Blu-ray)
$19.96
 
Attack on Titan: The Final Season - Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$49.99
 
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Entertainment District Arc (Blu-ray)
$34.48
 
Record of Ragnarok: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99
6 hrs ago
My Hero Academia: Season Five, Part Two (Blu-ray)
$35.38
13 hrs ago
GATE: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99
6 hrs ago
Lupin the 3rd Part I: The Classic Adventures (Blu-ray)
$45.50
 
The Demon Girl Next Door 2: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
12 hrs ago
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations: Set 14 (Blu-ray)
$35.17
1 day ago
Attack on Titan: The Final Season - Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$49.99
 
Shaman King: Original 2003 English Dubbed TV Series (Blu-ray)
$33.60
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #41
Becko Becko is offline
Junior Member
 
Sep 2007
Default

I really want Utena Movie on Blu, it has the most artistic design I have ever seen on any anime film
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #42
Zen_Amako Zen_Amako is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Zen_Amako's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Northern VA, USA
139
562
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd_117 View Post
Awww, hells yeah! I cna't wait for the re-vamp, even though from what I 've seen, the only difference is that addition of a little CGI. EVA on Blu though with the remixed 5.1 score in lossless would be legen-wait for it-dary!
All of the animation in the movie is new (it's digital rather than cel), but a lot of the scenes play out the same way as in the series. It's in the last third of the movie that a lot of the new material starts to show up (the battle with the Angel from episode 6 is a lot longer and more intense) . At the end of the movie,
[Show spoiler]Kaworu appears at what would be the end of episode 6
. A new character (voiced by Maaya Sakamoto) will be introduced in the second movie, so I'm expecting it to have a lot of differences.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #43
Zen_Amako Zen_Amako is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Zen_Amako's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Northern VA, USA
139
562
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becko View Post
I really want Utena Movie on Blu, it has the most artistic design I have ever seen on any anime film
Me too. As the TV series and the movie were recently remastered in HD for the Japanese DVD re-release, I'm hoping this gets released soon. A U.S. release is a big question mark, though, since the license is currently in limbo.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #44
zedd_117 zedd_117 is offline
Expert Member
 
zedd_117's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Monessen, PA
353
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Amako View Post
All of the animation in the movie is new (it's digital rather than cel), but a lot of the scenes play out the same way as in the series. It's in the last third of the movie that a lot of the new material starts to show up (the battle with the Angel from episode 6 is a lot longer and more intense) . At the end of the movie,
[Show spoiler]Kaworu appears at what would be the end of episode 6
. A new character (voiced by Maaya Sakamoto) will be introduced in the second movie, so I'm expecting it to have a lot of differences.

Ahh, this is good news. Sadly I'm actually thinking of attempting to teach myself Japanese because of all of the anime and films that we miss out on here in the US. I thought it was an easier language to learn, but a local professor has just told me that there are some complex things to learn to completly master the language.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:35 PM   #45
kndy kndy is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
kndy's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Urban Haute Bourgeoisie
136
1903
41
17
Send a message via AIM to kndy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd_117 View Post
Ahh, this is good news. Sadly I'm actually thinking of attempting to teach myself Japanese because of all of the anime and films that we miss out on here in the US. I thought it was an easier language to learn, but a local professor has just told me that there are some complex things to learn to completly master the language.
Hehe...some people pick it up differently, I minored in Japanese and have promote Japanese music and entertainment since '93 and I haven't even mastered the language. In fact, I think my Japanese has gotten worse each year now that I don't use it as much. But you can definitely learn the basics, read hiragana and katakana. If you want to learn Japanese, you can. How far you want to learn, depends on you.

But it all depends on the individual, I've known one who studied at UCLA in a short time and ended up translating manga and now working for Toyota corporate in Japan. But she soaked everything up perfectly. She said she learned through repetition through manga translations. I actually learned a lot from the music and watching Japanese dramas.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #46
zedd_117 zedd_117 is offline
Expert Member
 
zedd_117's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Monessen, PA
353
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kndy View Post
Hehe...some people pick it up differently, I minored in Japanese and have promote Japanese music and entertainment since '93 and I haven't even mastered the language. In fact, I think my Japanese has gotten worse each year now that I don't use it as much. But you can definitely learn the basics, read hiragana and katakana. If you want to learn Japanese, you can. How far you want to learn, depends on you.

But it all depends on the individual, I've known one who studied at UCLA in a short time and ended up translating manga and now working for Toyota corporate in Japan. But she soaked everything up perfectly. She said she learned through repetition through manga translations. I actually learned a lot from the music and watching Japanese dramas.
Thanks for the vote of confidence Kndy. I'm actually looking at some books on amazon right now.

Back to anime. who here has not watched FFVII: Advent Children Complete? Holy Crap! Just when I couldn't think I could see a better movie, they make perfection better. Wow, the TrueHD is nice too, though a little lite on the LFE channel (at least on my 'cube III)
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:01 PM   #47
EvilGamerX EvilGamerX is offline
Senior Member
 
EvilGamerX's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Florida
11
394
130
1
Default

To be honest, I thought Advent Children was meh. Then again, I didn't care for FFVII to begin with. I am sure it looks nice though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:01 PM   #48
Mobe1969 Mobe1969 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Mobe1969's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia
865
1370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
Beats me but I do know this I didn't buy it because 1. Too expensive, 2. comes in a dvd case, 3. comes with a dvd to add to the price, 4. to hard to find these days and 5. I'll just wait for a re-release on it just like Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise.
Jin Roh came with a book of storyboards, not a DVD.

You can get the single disc version of these, and Patlabor, from Japan
http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/2728105

But they are not much cheaper than the full SE.

Patlabor 1 and 2 are the pick of the bunch transfer wise (no stupid pillar boxing). And story too, but that is just IMHO.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:22 AM   #49
kndy kndy is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
kndy's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Urban Haute Bourgeoisie
136
1903
41
17
Send a message via AIM to kndy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGamerX View Post
To be honest, I thought Advent Children was meh. Then again, I didn't care for FFVII to begin with. I am sure it looks nice though.
I was the same way. I was disappointed with the FFVII final scene of the video game and at first watch of "Advent Children" I was more into the graphic and look of the characters than the story.

But after playing "Crisis Core" and even "Dirge of Cerberus", those games actually made me want to watch FFVI AC Complete and the new extra footage actually made things much more coherent for me. Also, the addition of the anime OAV "On the Way to a Smile" and also the newer special features, especially the one explaining "Beginning Crisis" was pretty cool (since I've never played that game).

Personally, I would love to see SquareEnix revisit Squall and Riona
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:25 AM   #50
ht_skinny ht_skinny is offline
Active Member
 
ht_skinny's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
11
130
6
Default

Had a quick question, well two I guess...

Is Shigurui English subbed or dubbed?

Is Sword of the Stranger English subbed or dubbed?

By the way I forget who it was, I believe the OP, THANK YOU for recommending "Sword of the Stranger" I checked it out on youtube before the review came out today. And I was blown away, plus the blu's colors just look like they are gonna POP off my screen. Thanks again! Any more suggestions along the lines of Afro Samurai, Shigurui, Sword of the Stranger, Death Note would be greatly appreciated!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:13 AM   #51
Grimshaw23 Grimshaw23 is offline
Special Member
 
Grimshaw23's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
6
103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ht_skinny View Post
Had a quick question, well two I guess...

Is Shigurui English subbed or dubbed?

Is Sword of the Stranger English subbed or dubbed?


By the way I forget who it was, I believe the OP, THANK YOU for recommending "Sword of the Stranger" I checked it out on youtube before the review came out today. And I was blown away, plus the blu's colors just look like they are gonna POP off my screen. Thanks again! Any more suggestions along the lines of Afro Samurai, Shigurui, Sword of the Stranger, Death Note would be greatly appreciated!
Those 2 titles have both English audio and Japanese audio with english subtitle so it's all good for everybody. Personally, I'm anxiously waiting for Sword of the Stranger(looks incredible) next week. Hopefully the PQ looks better than the images in the review.

As for recommendation, if you like those titles you've mentioned, you might like Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Bleach(great sword-fighting) and Ninja Scroll. Although, keep in mind, those are not on Blu-ray just yet.

Last edited by Grimshaw23; 06-09-2009 at 01:19 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:27 AM   #52
EvilGamerX EvilGamerX is offline
Senior Member
 
EvilGamerX's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Florida
11
394
130
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kndy View Post
I was the same way. I was disappointed with the FFVII final scene of the video game and at first watch of "Advent Children" I was more into the graphic and look of the characters than the story.

But after playing "Crisis Core" and even "Dirge of Cerberus", those games actually made me want to watch FFVI AC Complete and the new extra footage actually made things much more coherent for me. Also, the addition of the anime OAV "On the Way to a Smile" and also the newer special features, especially the one explaining "Beginning Crisis" was pretty cool (since I've never played that game).

Personally, I would love to see SquareEnix revisit Squall and Riona
To be honest, I think FFIX was the only Final Fantasy game I finished and enjoyed.


Anywho, I should have Sword of the Stranger on Friday.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:57 AM   #53
kndy kndy is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
kndy's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Urban Haute Bourgeoisie
136
1903
41
17
Send a message via AIM to kndy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGamerX View Post
To be honest, I think FFIX was the only Final Fantasy game I finished and enjoyed.
FFIX was awesome! Actually my favorite FF game! But makes me wonder if Square Enix will pursue any more CG based films in the near future.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:07 AM   #54
ht_skinny ht_skinny is offline
Active Member
 
ht_skinny's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
11
130
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimshaw23 View Post
Those 2 titles have both English audio and Japanese audio with english subtitle so it's all good for everybody. Personally, I'm anxiously waiting for Sword of the Stranger(looks incredible) next week. Hopefully the PQ looks better than the images in the review.

As for recommendation, if you like those titles you've mentioned, you might like Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Bleach(great sword-fighting) and Ninja Scroll. Although, keep in mind, those are not on Blu-ray just yet.
Thank you very much... I just started to really get into the genre and love all the helpful pieces of advice. I will start with the two mentioned in my previous post and keep an eye out for the ones you did, even though I'll probably look for em on DVD for now anyways, cuz I cant wait!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:56 AM   #55
Kevtronn Kevtronn is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Kevtronn's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Cincinnati, OH
8
17
1012
92
1
Default

HELLO FELLOW ANIME FANS!!!

I currently own all the Anime listed on Blu-ray including Street Fighter IV, except for the OOP Bandai releases (Yukikaze, SOS Tokyo Metro Explores, & Wings of Honneamise). Has anyone found a reliable source to buy these from?


Also, do we have an Official statement or link that Basilisk, Blue Gender, Gunslinger Girl, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, & Trinity Blood is coming to Blu-ray???
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:59 AM   #56
EvilGamerX EvilGamerX is offline
Senior Member
 
EvilGamerX's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Florida
11
394
130
1
Default

I don't believe so at the moment. The end of the month we may have more info on FUNi stuff since Origin is coming out. Usually FUNi include a little slip telling about future Blu-ray releases and release dates. So hopefully it is an updated one.

As the One Piece fanboy I am, I am really hoping they announce either movie 4, 6, or 9. Such great films (also, again, 8 sucks the big one). Movie 6 is done by the guy who did The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Another movie that should come out on Blu-ray in the states.

Last edited by EvilGamerX; 06-09-2009 at 03:01 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:01 AM   #57
bdadhat bdadhat is offline
Member
 
bdadhat's Avatar
 
May 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosomotion View Post
out of the ones released on blu so far, what would you recommend ?

I own both final fantasy movies, and afro samurai. I have been eyeballing Paprika and Tekkonkinkreet for a while but was afraid I wouldn't like them enough to warrant the price.

I would consider myself a anime beginner, but I enjoy things like Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Akira, Blood - The last Vampire, Vampire Hunter D, Ninja Scroll.

Any suggestions ?
Paprika - it is probably the best on the list as far as content & PQ
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:06 AM   #58
Kevtronn Kevtronn is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Kevtronn's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Cincinnati, OH
8
17
1012
92
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGamerX View Post
I don't believe so at the moment. The end of the month we may have more info on FUNi stuff since Origin is coming out. Usually FUNi include a little slip telling about future Blu-ray releases and release dates. So hopefully it is an updated one.

As the One Piece fanboy I am, I am really hoping they announce either movie 4, 6, or 9. Such great films (also, again, 8 sucks the big one). Movie 6 is done by the guy who did The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Another movie that should come out on Blu-ray in the states.
Yes, I love those little slips that are included in the case... Always praying for a Big Surprise!

Would also love THe Girl Who Leapt Through Time on Blu-ray!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:07 AM   #59
Kevtronn Kevtronn is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Kevtronn's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Cincinnati, OH
8
17
1012
92
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdadhat View Post
Paprika - it is probably the best on the list as far as content & PQ
What about PQ on Freedom, Sky Crawlers, Akira, & Ghost in the Shell 2???
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:20 AM   #60
kndy kndy is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
kndy's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Urban Haute Bourgeoisie
136
1903
41
17
Send a message via AIM to kndy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevtronn View Post
What about PQ on Freedom, Sky Crawlers, Akira, & Ghost in the Shell 2???
Picture quality is awesome for "Freedom" and "Sky Crawlers". For "Sky Crawlers" the folks at Skywalker Ranch were impressed by the visuals and they did a great job with audio quality. "Akira" of course is an older film but Bandai invested heavily to remaster the film and it's the first film on Blu-ray that has a 192 kHz audio track. (I know there is a concert on 192kHz track that someone pointed out in the original Akira thread). Now, as for "Ghost in the Shell 2.0", the audio quality is great but unfortunately there is no lossless track.

But it all comes down to if you are picky about animation. Also, what kind of anime your into. But these titles are solid. Of the four, "Akira" will always be a classic but of the four, the one I really, really enjoyed was the "Freedom" box set.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Netflix & Anime Blu-ray Releases Blu-ray Movies - North America Tyrindor 8 02-26-2020 07:12 AM
The OFFICIAL Asian films on Blu-ray (USA releases) Blu-ray Movies - North America kndy 30 06-07-2017 04:48 AM
The OFFICIAL Asian films on Blu-ray (USA releases) Blu-ray Movies - North America kndy 0 06-05-2009 04:15 PM
HK blu-ray releases vs. USA? Which to get ie Twilight/8 Mile? Asia yobeech 10 05-07-2009 01:29 AM
OFFICIAL USA SteelBook™ releases Blu-ray SteelBooks DeyoreW 3 11-18-2008 05:43 AM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:31 AM.