Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The King of Braves GaoGaiGar: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$67.81
1 day ago
Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Attack on Titan: The Final Season - Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation - Season 1, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$37.49

The Demon Girl Next Door 2: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Dragon Ball Z: Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan / Broly - Second Coming / Bio-Broly (Blu-ray)
$16.83

Inu-Oh (Blu-ray)
$19.96

GATE: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99

Lupin the 3rd Part I: The Classic Adventures (Blu-ray)
$45.50

Record of Ragnarok: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

City Hunter: Movie & TV Special Collection (Blu-ray)
$46.39
1 day ago
Tetsujin 28 FX: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$46.39
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 04-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #21

Jul 2009
-
-
-

So, what about this?
Old 03-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #22
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011

what about it thats the new series , the topic was about the old series.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:31 PM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA
Smile

Someone on eBay was selling the entirety of the US DVD releases of the red jacket series. I gave in and bought it even though I own more than half already (Hoping I can make my money back by selling the duplicates). Excited to get them, though it's a little sad that the hunt will be over.

I'm hoping Discotek or a similar company pick up the remainder of the series for release. I know dubbing the rest of the episodes (76 in total) wouldn't be feasible, but even a bare-bones, subs-only release would be appreciated.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:38 PM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat III View Post
I'm hoping Discotek or a similar company pick up the remainder of the series for release. I know dubbing the rest of the episodes (76 in total) wouldn't be feasible, but even a bare-bones, subs-only release would be appreciated.
Me too. Discotek did mention that they would be releasing a Lupin III title on Blu-ray this year, but so far they haven't announced what it would be. I'm hoping for The Castle of Cagliostro, which is likely (I hope) seeing as though it's out on Blu-ray in Japan already and Discotek already released the film on DVD.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:17 AM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Sherwood Forest

Been a fan of Lupin III since I came across one of these in the arcade back in 1983

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_de...p?game_id=7352

Still play this every so often using emulation.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:32 AM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseY0ur1llusi0n View Post
Also, Discotek never released the film on DVD. There are only two R1 releases in the US, both by Manga and both look absolutely horrible. That's why the current 1080i JP BD makes it at least watchable. But as much as I would love to see Discotek release it in the US on Blu... it really needs to be picked up by Studio Ghilbi and properly restored for the master Miyazaki.
Whoops, you're right, I don't know why I thought Discotek put it out on DVD since the Manga release went OOP. I bought the Manga DVD a few years ago after getting the feeling that it would go OOP. It's good enough for what it is, but I'm really hoping to be able to upgrade the film to Blu-ray one of these days.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
Me too. Discotek did mention that they would be releasing a Lupin III title on Blu-ray this year, but so far they haven't announced what it would be. I'm hoping for The Castle of Cagliostro, which is likely (I hope) seeing as though it's out on Blu-ray in Japan already and Discotek already released the film on DVD.
I saw that when they announced The Hemingway Papers was coming in May. My bet's with Cagliostro since they confirmed it isn't Mamo and Cagliostro is not only the Lupin film that would best utilize an HD transfer, but is guaranteed to sell given the Miyazaki connection. Heck, I may well buy it if they release it and that would be a quadruple-dip. Farewell to Nostradamus would be a welcome surprise, though.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:03 PM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA
Cool

Also, check what came in the mail today.

There was a time I thought I'd never own every volume, but here we are. I've got an alternate view (showing the cover images) posted on the anime haul thread.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:26 AM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Also, check what came in the mail today.
Those look great together like that! I was lucky enough to find "Love Heist" at a Goodwill near me last year for $3. Ever since then I have been looking for more but no such luck.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:00 AM   #30
Banned

Aug 2010

Well, there ya go Cat - MJW will buy all your doubles off of you, now...
Old 03-21-2014, 07:57 AM   #31
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

This will be amazing:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ravestone-film

Jigen movie in the style of Redline and The Woman Called Fujiko Mine.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:23 AM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticmoon View Post
This will be amazing:

That, indeed, is good news, though I'm going to retain an outlook of cautious optimism. Koike is talented, no doubt. I haven't gotten around to watching The Woman Called Fujiko Mine so I can't speak to the quality of this imagining of Lupin, but it looks promising. Focusing on Jigen will give the franchise a chance to explore new thematic grounds, but I'm always worried about projects that try to fill in the back-story of established characters. By now Lupin III has had so many iterations and re-imaginings that a bad movie can't cause too much harm, so like I said, cautious optimism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREYMAX 3D View Post
Well, there ya go Cat - MJW will buy all your doubles off of you, now...
Well, MJW, if you actually are interested, let me know. I was planning on listing these on eBay soon, anyways. It also came with a copy of The Secret of Mamo which I also plan on unloading if anyone's interested (it's the Pioneer Entertainment version).
Old 03-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
That, indeed, is good news, though I'm going to retain an outlook of cautious optimism. Koike is talented, no doubt. I haven't gotten around to watching The Woman Called Fujiko Mine so I can't speak to the quality of this imagining of Lupin, but it looks promising. Focusing on Jigen will give the franchise a chance to explore new thematic grounds, but I'm always worried about projects that try to fill in the back-story of established characters. By now Lupin III has had so many iterations and re-imaginings that a bad movie can't cause too much harm, so like I said, cautious optimism.
Well, I suppose my comment pertained more to the visuals. We can never be too sure about the content until we see it, so I definitely agree with your position.

For the Fujiko series, Koike was character designer and art/animation director. As a whole it probably wasn't so much his vision, but the very strong visuals were. Popular opinion on Redline is that it is style over substance. But that "style" is just so strong, I can't help but be excited for this. Of course, it would be ideal if it could deliver on all fronts.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #34
Power Member

Mar 2009
UK

Quote:
This will be amazing:

official site > http://jigen-movie.com
Old 03-21-2014, 11:34 PM   #35
Special Member

Nov 2006

Quote:
DVD? DVD. Noooooooooooo!
Old 03-22-2014, 02:24 AM   #36
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA

Quote:
Well, I suppose my comment pertained more to the visuals. We can never be too sure about the content until we see it, so I definitely agree with your position.

For the Fujiko series, Koike was character designer and art/animation director. As a whole it probably wasn't so much his vision, but the very strong visuals were. Popular opinion on Redline is that it is style over substance. But that "style" is just so strong, I can't help but be excited for this. Of course, it would be ideal if it could deliver on all fronts.
Seems you're right, Koike was only involved directly with the art department. I thought he'd written/directed the series. Well, I thought Redline was great. Lupin III hasn't endured for so long because of it's substance as it were. The characters have distinct personalities and have latched themselves onto the hearts of millions of fans without being what is often referred to as deep. If the movie turns out as good as Redline, then it will be a success and, given the property, audiences and critics might be more forgiving if the story isn't substantive.

Part of me is hoping that the movie is given the subtitle that Geneon used for one of the red jacket episodes, "Gettin' Jigen With It".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
DVD? DVD. Noooooooooooo!
As long as good things come out on the format, I'm happy to buy more DVD's (given that said good things aren't also available on Blu-ray).
Old 03-27-2014, 02:49 AM   #37
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Discotek Media just announced on Facebook that they will release Hayao Miyazaki's 1979 film Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro on Blu-ray in late 2014 or early 2015:

Quote:
Castle of Cagliostro. DVD and Blu Ray. The DVD will come out first, probably in August. Blu ray will be end of year or early 2015. Both English dubs will be included, it will have the original intro along with the Japanese language and English subs.
I've been waiting for this FOREVER!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:24 AM   #38

Oct 2012
-
-
-

The film will still be interlaced (unless Discotek know how to inverse it), so it’ll be almost exactly like the VAP and Studio Canal releases. I already have the Japanese version, and whilst serviceable, someone needs to author a new master to get it up to scratch. I don't really want to buy another 1080i copy again.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #39
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2013
Somewhere

Great news I can finally get rid of my manga release. Good start to my day.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:19 PM   #40
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
Discotek Media just announced on Facebook that they will release Hayao Miyazaki's 1979 film Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro on Blu-ray in late 2014 or early 2015

I've been waiting for this FOREVER!
Just noticed this last night. Turns out, my suspicions were correct. I've already got the UK Blu-ray from Studio Canal, but Discotek usually does such a good job, it's likely I'll double dip. Nelson Reed is going to do a commentary track and I've been impressed with his work on The Fuma Conspiracy, Episode 0, and, of course, the original series. Also, it would be nice to have both dubs. I do wonder if they'll use the poster image they included with their announcement as the cover. This one:

I like how different it is from the pictures used on other editions of Cagliostro. It gives off a dark, mysterious vibe. Kinda like the original Manga DVD (
[Show spoiler]
), except not horrible.

Quote:
Yeah DVD sucks...
DVD's do not suck, my young sir. Why, before your fancy Blew-rae digital discs came on the scene, all we had to entertain ourselves with (besides video games, cable TV, mp3 players, sports and classic literature) was the very same DVD's you so casually deride. You'd be smart to spend a fortnight's worth of time watching naught but Mystery Men and the second season of Seinfeld on plain old, oatmeal DVD. Then you'll know what your forefathers had to live with and how to truly appreciate the simple things in life, like not having to rewind a tape every damn time you watched it.

Quote:
... but if I remember correctly, Geneon made the best quality DVD's back when they were still in business, so it could be a score after all.
Actually, I have not heard this about Geneon. The Lupin III DVD's are nothing impressive.* Discotek's release of the original series looks better, though other factors than the quality of the DVD mastering may explain that (plus, Discotek's release is much more recent). There's nothing as far as special features either. I do give them credit for making a dub. They were a little too loose with the translation, but, unless you're a purist, it's decent and the voice actors are really suited to the roles. Even if Geneon had a reputation for making quality products, I think they sank because they banked on too many series that weren't popular enough to turn a profit. I think companies have come to find that releasing anime series bit by bit is not a feasible way of running their business. Especially with a series as long as Lupin III. Only a nutcase would buy all fifteen releases.

*I'm speaking of the video quality and other technical factors. The show itself is wonderful and totally worth owning.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime