Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Vol. 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
13 hrs ago
House of Psychotic Women Rarities Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.56
17 hrs ago
The Collected Works of Hayao Miyazaki (Blu-ray)
$172.08
20 min ago
The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
13 hrs ago
The Conjuring Universe 7-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
13 hrs ago
The Poison Ivy Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99

Bones and All (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 day ago
48 Hrs. / Another 48 Hrs. 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
7 hrs ago
Triangle of Sadness 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.54

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$83.50

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 04-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2008
Kentucky
Arrow

The Marvel Cinematic Universe (Earth-199999) is a shared fictional universe that is the setting of superhero films independently developed by Marvel Studios, based on characters published in Marvel Comics. The setting is much like the Marvel Universe in comic books. The universe was established by crossing over shared plot elements, settings, cast, and characters.

The franchise has expanded to include comic books, short films, and television series. The shared universe, much like the original Marvel Universe in comic books, was established by crossing over common plot elements, settings, cast, and characters. Clark Gregg has appeared the most in the franchise, portraying Phil Coulson, a character original to the MCU.

The franchise has been seen as an impressive and groundbreaking success in terms of a multimedia shared universe, though critics have found that some of its films and television series have suffered in service of the wider universe. It has inspired other film and television studios with comic book character adaptation rights to attempt to create similar shared universes. The MCU has also been the focus of other media, outside of the shared universe, including attractions at Disneyland and Discovery Times Square, two television specials, guidebooks for each film, a Lego video game, and a commercial with Coca-Cola.

Last edited by UK_fan_05; 07-04-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2008
Kentucky

Phase 1

Iron Man

[Show spoiler]

Release Date : 05/02/2008

RottenTomatoes : 94% (7.7/10)

IMDb : 7.9/10

Official Marvel Site

Blu-ray.com Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel
Iron Man tells the story of Tony Stark, a billionaire industrialist and genius inventor who is kidnapped and forced to build a devastating weapon. Instead, using his intelligence and ingenuity, Tony builds a high-tech suit of armor and escapes captivity. When he uncovers a nefarious plot with global implications, he dons his powerful armor and vows to protect the world as Iron Man.
Cast

Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark / Iron Man

Terrence Howard as Colonel James "Rhodey" Rhodes

Jeff Bridges as Obadiah Stane

Gwyneth Paltrow as Virginia "Pepper" Potts

Jon Favreau as Harold "Happy" Hogan

Clark Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson

The Incredible Hulk

[Show spoiler]

Release Date : June 13, 2008

RottenTomatoes : 67% (6.2/10)

IMDb : 6.8/10

Official Marvel Site

Blu-ray.com Thread

Quote:
Scientist Bruce Banner desperately hunts for a cure to the gamma radiation that poisoned his cells and unleashes the unbridled force of rage within him: The Hulk.

Living in the shadows and cut off from a life he knew and the woman he loves, Betty Ross, Banner struggles to avoid the obsessive pursuit of his nemesis, General Thunderbolt Ross and the military machinery that seeks to capture him and brutally exploit his power.

As all three grapple with the secrets that led to the Hulk's creation, they are confronted with a monstrous new adversary known as the Abomination, whose destructive strength exceeds even the Hulk's own.

One scientist must make an agonizing final choice: accept a peaceful life as Bruce Banner or find heroism in the creature he holds inside.
Cast

Edward Norton as Bruce Banner / Hulk

Liv Tyler as Elizabeth "Betty" Ross

Tim Roth as Emil Blonsky

William Hurt as General Thaddeus E. "Thunderbolt" Ross

Iron Man 2

[Show spoiler]

Release Date : May 7, 2010

RottenTomatoes : 72% (6.5/10)

IMDb : 7.0/10

Official Marvel Site

Blu-ray.com Thread

Quote:
Six months after the events of Iron Man, Tony Stark is resisting calls by the United States government to hand over the Iron Man technology while also combating his declining health from the arc reactor in his chest. Meanwhile, rogue Russian scientist Ivan Vanko has developed the same technology and built weapons of his own in order to pursue a vendetta against the Stark family, in the process joining forces with Stark's business rival, Justin Hammer.
Cast

Don Cheadle as Colonel James "Rhodey" Rhodes / War Machine

Scarlett Johansson as Natalie Rushman / Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow

Mickey Rourke as Ivan Vanko

Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury

Thor

[Show spoiler]

Release Date : May 6, 2011

RottenTomatoes : 77% (6.7/10)

IMDb : 7.0/10

Official Marvel Site

Blu-ray.com Thread

Quote:
At the center of the story is The Mighty Thor, a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth and forced to live among humans as punishment. Once here, Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero when the most dangerous villain of his world sends the darkest forces of Asgard to invade Earth.
Cast

Chris Hemsworth as Thor Odinson

Natalie Portman as Jane Foster

Tom Hiddleston as Loki Laufeyson

Stellan Skarsgård as Erik Selvig

Anthony Hopkins as Odin Borson

Idris Elba as Heimdall

Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton / Hawkeye

Captain America : The First Avenger

[Show spoiler]

Release Date : July 22, 2011

RottenTomatoes : 80% (6.9/10)

IMDb : 6.9/10

Official Marvel Site

Blu-ray.com Thread

Quote:
It is 1942, America has entered World War II, and sickly but determined Steve Rogers is frustrated at being rejected yet again for military service. Everything changes when Dr. Erskine recruits him for the secret Project Rebirth. Proving his extraordinary courage, wits and conscience, Rogers undergoes the experiment and his weak body is suddenly enhanced into the maximum human potential. When Dr. Erskine is then immediately assassinated by an agent of Nazi Germany's secret HYDRA research department (headed by Johann Schmidt, a.k.a. the Red Skull), Rogers is left as a unique man who is initially misused as a propaganda mascot; however, when his comrades need him, Rogers goes on a successful adventure that truly makes him Captain America, and his war against Schmidt begins.
Cast

Chris Evans as Steve Rogers / Captain America

Hayley Atwell as Agent Margaret "Peggy" Carter

Hugo Weaving as Johann Schmidt / Red Skull

Sebastian Stan as James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes

Dominic Cooper as Howard Stark

The Avengers

[Show spoiler]

Release Date : May 4, 2012

RottenTomatoes : 92% (8/10)

IMDb : 8.1/10

Official Marvel Site

Blu-ray.com Thread

Quote:
When an unexpected enemy emerges that threatens global safety and security, Nick Fury, Director of the international peacekeeping agency known as S.H.I.E.L.D., finds himself in need of a team to pull the world back from the brink of disaster. Spanning the globe, a daring recruitment effort begins.
Cast

The Avengers

Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner / Hulk

Scarlett Johansson as Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton / Hawkeye

Cobie Smulders as Agent Maria Hill

Last edited by UK_fan_05; 07-24-2016 at 04:10 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2008
Kentucky

Phase 2

Iron Man 3

[Show spoiler]

Release Date : May 3, 2013

RottenTomatoes : 79% (7/10)

IMDb : 7.3/10

Official Marvel Site

Blu-ray.com Thread

Quote:
The brash-but-brilliant industrialist Tony Stark/Iron Man goes up against an enemy whose reach knows no bounds. When Stark finds his personal world destroyed at his enemy's hands, he embarks on a harrowing quest to find those responsible. This journey, at every turn, will test his mettle. With his back against the wall, Stark is left to survive by his own devices, relying on his ingenuity and instincts to protect those closest to him. As he fights his way back, Stark discovers the answer to the question that has secretly haunted him: does the man make the suit or does the suit make the man?
Cast

Guy Pearce as Aldrich Killian

Ben Kingsley as The Mandarin

Thor : The Dark World

[Show spoiler]

Release Date : November 8, 2013

RottenTomatoes : 66% (6.2/10)

IMDb : 7.1/10

Official Marvel Site

Blu-ray.com Thread

Quote:
After The Battle for New York, Thor fights to restore order across the cosmos...but an ancient race led by the vengeful Malekith returns to plunge the universe back into darkness. Faced with an enemy that even Odin and Asgard cannot withstand, Thor must embark on his most perilous and personal journey yet, one that will reunite him with Jane Foster and force him to sacrifice everything to save us all.
Cast

Natalie Portman as Jane Foster

Anthony Hopkins as Odin Borson

Idris Elba as Heimdall

Christopher Eccleston as Malekith the Accursed

Captain America : The Winter Soldier

[Show spoiler]

Release Date : April 4, 2014

RottenTomatoes : 89% (7.5/10)

IMDb : 7.8/10

Official Marvel Site

Blu-ray.com Thread

Quote:
After the cataclysmic events in New York with The Avengers, Steve Rogers, aka Captain America, is living quietly in Washington, D.C. and trying to adjust to the modern world. But when a S.H.I.E.L.D. colleague comes under attack, Steve becomes embroiled in a web of intrigue that threatens to put the world at risk. Joining forces with the Black Widow, Captain America struggles to expose the ever-widening conspiracy while fighting off professional assassins sent to silence him at every turn. When the full scope of the villainous plot is revealed, Captain America and the Black Widow enlist the help of a new ally, the Falcon. However, they soon find themselves up against an unexpected and formidable enemy--the Winter Soldier.
Cast

Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow

Robert Redford as Alexander Pierce

Sebastian Stan as James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes / The Winter Soldier

Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson / Falcon

Frank Grillo as Brock Rumlow

Guardians of The Galaxy

[Show spoiler]

Release Date : August 1, 2014

RottenTomatoes : 91% (7.7/10)

IMDb : 8.1/10

Official Marvel Site

Blu-ray.com Thread

Quote:
Brash adventurer Peter Quill finds himself the object of an unrelenting bounty hunt after stealing a mysterious orb coveted by Ronan, a powerful villain with ambitions that threaten the entire universe. To evade the ever-persistent Ronan, Quill is forced into an uneasy truce with a quartet of disparate misfits--Rocket, a gun-toting raccoon; Groot, a tree-like humanoid; the deadly and enigmatic Gamora; and the revenge-driven Drax the Destroyer. But when Quill discovers the true power of the orb and the menace it poses to the cosmos, he must do his best to rally his ragtag rivals for a last, desperate stand--with the galaxy's fate in the balance.
Cast

Chris Pratt as Peter Quill / Star-Lord

Zoe Saldana as Gamora

Dave Bautista as Drax the Destroyer

Bradley Cooper as Rocket Raccoon

Vin Diesel as Groot

Lee Pace as Ronan the Accuser

Michael Rooker as Yondu Udonta

Karen Gillan as Nebula

Josh Brolin as Thanos

The Avengers : Age of Ultron

[Show spoiler]

Release Date : May 1, 2015

RottenTomatoes : 75% (6.7/10)

IMDb : 7.5/10

Official Marvel Site

Blu-ray.com Thread

Quote:
When Tony Stark tries to jumpstart a dormant peacekeeping program, things go awry and Earth's Mightiest Heroes, including Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, The Incredible Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye, are put to the ultimate test as the fate of the planet hangs in the balance. As the villainous Ultron emerges, it is up to The Avengers to stop him from enacting his terrible plans, and soon uneasy alliances and unexpected action pave the way for an epic and unique global adventure.
Cast

Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner / Hulk

Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow

Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton / Hawkeye

James Spader as Ultron

Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff / Scarlet Witch

Aaron Taylor-Johnson as Pietro Maximoff / Quicksilver

Ant-Man

[Show spoiler]

Release Date : July 17, 2015

RottenTomatoes : 81% (6.8/10)

IMDb : 7.4/10

Official Marvel Site

Blu-ray.com Thread

Quote:
Armed with the astonishing ability to shrink in scale but increase in strength, master thief Scott Lang must embrace his inner-hero and help his mentor, Doctor Hank Pym, protect the secret behind his spectacular Ant-Man suit from a new generation of towering threats. Against seemingly insurmountable obstacles, Pym and Lang must plan and pull off a heist that will save the world.
Cast

Paul Rudd as Scott Lang / Ant-Man

Evangeline Lilly as Hope van Dyne

Michael Douglas as Hank Pym

Corey Stoll as Darren Cross / Yellowjacket

Last edited by UK_fan_05; 07-24-2016 at 04:18 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2008
Kentucky

Last edited by Diesel; 07-24-2016 at 03:36 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2008
Kentucky

Last edited by Diesel; 07-24-2016 at 03:36 AM.
Thanks given by:
ironsmile35 (10-30-2014)
Old 04-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYoda View Post
Interesting news, although I dont now anyone clamoring for a power Pack movie.
Disney could make something like Power Pack really pay off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
The problem is that properly bringing superheroes to the medium of film requires extensive special effects, which is much more expensive than $40 million to be done correctly. It is why early Marvel projects like Corman's Fantastic Four movie failed.

When I see ideas like this get tossed around, I foresee a bunch of cheap movies that exploit the IP of the Marvel universe for mere name value. All of the characters mentioned would need extensive special effects, if the studio wanted to remain true to the type of stories these characters are used in the comics.

Call me cynical, but anyone that trusts anything that comes of Hollywood at this point has not been been paying attention. And that includes Marvel.
Cynical.

I agree with you. While Kick-Ass was made for $28 million (did you see that one?) I too would have to say, I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe something like Luke Cage or Dazzler, but Doctor Strange and Kazaar? The CGI alone would cost more than that wouldn't it?

Edit - I think a Daredevil movie would work with a budget like this (a more intimate story) but Marvel doesn't have Daredevil yet)

Last edited by GreenScar; 04-22-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Raleigh, NC

I think Dr. Strange could be good with the right writer & director, but I'm not sure even I'd pay to see a Dazzler film.
They do have a lot of interesting 2nd and 3rd string characters to work with though.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScar View Post
I agree with you. While Kick-Ass was made for $28 million (did you see that one?) I too would have to say, I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe something like Luke Cage or Dazzler, but Doctor Strange and Kazaar? The CGI alone would cost more than that wouldn't it?
Kick-Ass, what's that one
Old 04-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDog View Post
I think Dr. Strange could be good with the right writer & director, but I'm not sure even I'd pay to see a Dazzler film.
They do have a lot of interesting 2nd and 3rd string characters to work with though.
Yeah, I think Dazzler would be aimed at a different crowd. Depending on who they got to play her off course

I thought Dazzler was a mutant which would put her under the FOX banner. No?
Thanks given by:
spoonlamp (11-17-2019)
Old 04-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
Kick-Ass, what's that one
I KNOW you saw it!
Old 04-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #11
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
UK

Quote:
I KNOW you saw it!
.......saw it 3 times actually
Old 04-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #12
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDog View Post
..Oh, good lord, are they still talking about that one?

Like Ant-Man, that's another survivor of Stan Lee's 1990 Curse-era burst of loopy marketing ideas, back when Dazzler actually WAS a new character Marvel was trying to market. Only he had a cheap syndicated TV series in mind, back then.
Just why we're still talking about it today dates back to when Anchor Bay bought New World Pictures, found all those memos from when New World owned Marvel (and they were trying to come up with an idea to follow up the Dolph Lundgren "Punisher"), and had those old memos bought back by the new Marvel again when they absorbed Lionsgate's brief attempt to make them.
Only now, the industry thinks Stan is a hit producer so, "Wow, look at all these brilliant ideas he had that we haven't done yet!", takes the old memos completely and reverently out of context (and oh, were the original ideas stinkers), and assuming he was talking about actual big-budget comically-correct production ideas his Seldon-plan wanted the company to pursue someday.

(Criswell Predicts: We'll see a canon-faithful "Captain America" stage musical, to cash in on the U2 Spiderman show, talked about in pre-planning stages some time in the next five years...Can you prove it won't happen??)

Quote:
They do have a lot of interesting 2nd and 3rd string characers to work with though.
Oh, sure, where are Daredevil and Ghost Rider when you need them now?...

Last edited by EricJ; 04-22-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

Jeez, I loved comic books, but this just seems too much to me. How many super hero movies do we need?
Old 04-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #14
Power Member

Aug 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada

It wont work , they need to take the good characters and make a big budget films to pull them into the mainstream like iron man , not to many people knew of him or liked him before the movie came out and the rest is history .
Old 04-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #15
Power Member

Mar 2010
Maryland
Send a message via AIM to chefazn

I agree this isn't a good idea. Costs would be huge. Marketing will be a struggle too.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007

Here's an interesting take on it; The Anti-3d movement:

Source

Quote:
$20-40 million dollars is the magic number, eh? I wonder where they got that figure from? Maybe from a certain superhero movie that opened this weekend and will TOTALLY BE PROFITABLE even though it was made outside the studio system for an estimated $30 million dollars?

I'm so happy, because this is the antithesis of the 3D revolution, the thing we needed to keep variety flowing to the multiplex. Yes, I could be more thrilled if it wasn't ONLY for Marvel superhero movies. Then again, I'd be psyched if Paramount's boutique studio for movies $100,000 and less wasn't so obviously looking for horror films to replicate "Paranormal Activity."

The point is this: All studio movies are made with the intention of pulling in profits while the nature of the superhero drama suggests a "tentpole" or "popcorn" film. They really don't have to be, this might actually be hurting them. Tentpole films behave a certain way and if they don't, they fail. No studio wants a stinky failure, so they are less likely to take chances on something new.

That is what this new idea represents: a grey area in the Venn Diagram of fan service to profitability. All that exists to be seen now is if there are enough people populating our overlap to let this business model flourish.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:35 PM   #17
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
$20-40 million dollars is the magic number, eh? I wonder where they got that figure from? Maybe from a certain superhero movie that opened this weekend and will TOTALLY BE PROFITABLE even though it was made outside the studio system for an estimated $30 million dollars?
And had a sig-quoting, virally net-marketed geek audience staking out the theater for literally months for an opening-weekend pilgrimage--just on the basis of what they hoped the movie was going to be--came back with decidedly mixed reviews about whether it was, and in the end still couldn't take the weekend back from the long-running audience word-of-mouth favorite?

...Let's see if it's not #1 next weekend either, before we decide which movies have "singlehandedly changed our cineplex landscape" or not.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #18
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
And had a sig-quoting, virally net-marketed geek audience staking out the theater for literally months for an opening-weekend pilgrimage--just on the basis of what they hoped the movie was going to be--came back with decidedly mixed reviews about whether it was, and in the end still couldn't take the weekend back from the long-running audience word-of-mouth favorite?

...Let's see if it's not #1 next weekend either, before we decide which movies have "singlehandedly changed our cineplex landscape" or not.
First of all, I don't know who these geeks are that your talking about

And secondly, it did take the weekend.

And Thirdly, the reviews weren't mixed, most was positive!
Old 04-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post

I think you may have missed the point. It's not whether it's number one or not, it's profitability. It will make a profit. That's the point. Sure, we're still going to have the tent pole movies, but what's wrong with smaller films as well?

Did you see Kick-Ass and what they were able to do with it's budget?
Old 04-22-2010, 07:51 PM   #20
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
UK

Quote:
I think you may have missed the point. It's not whether it's number one or not, it's profitability. It will make a profit. That's the point. Sure, we're still going to have the tent pole movies, but what's wrong with smaller films as well?

Did you see Kick-Ass and what they were able to do with it's budget?
I think they ran out of Budget at one part
[Show spoiler]when Big Daddy was on fire and you see Hit-Girl shooting the guys from behind, I don't know why, but for most that scene it looks good, but theres that one part where it looks so terrible
but it's passible considering the rest of the movie!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies