Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Three Colors 4K (Blu-ray)
$87.49
13 hrs ago
Plane 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.07
21 hrs ago
Westworld: Season Four 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.49
4 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Vol. 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.99

The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 2 (1983-1993) (Blu-ray)
$80.99

Spoiler Alert (Blu-ray)
$22.96
14 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Shazam! 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.99
1 day ago
Three Thousand Years of Longing (Blu-ray)
$16.09
11 hrs ago
Nobody (Blu-ray)
$6.99
1 day ago
Heart of Dragon (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Halloween Ends (Blu-ray)
$17.96
6 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 03-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #21
Special Member

Mar 2012
NYC

Indiana Jones was always meant to be an American James Bond-like character and franchise. That's part of the subtext of casting Sean Connery as his father.

I say, give Harrison Ford the option on every film. If he loses interest, then I'm totally cool with them recasting the character.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:38 PM   #22
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2012

If Harrison Ford passes....give it to the real Indiana Jones, Tom Selleck.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #23
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonic View Post
The difference with Batman, Bond, or Superman is that these characters existed in comic books and novels before any film version existed, so you can always go back to the source material for new inspiration on how to portray different aspects of those characters. With Indiana Jones, he was created for the big screen and I really can't see anyone else playing this character except Ford. Indy is a singular experience from a character point of view. It just seems wrong to even think of anyone except Ford playing this character. Sometimes it's nice to just let it lie as is. I wouldn't mind another Indy film with Ford, but without Ford, Spielberg, and Lucas it wouldn't work.
I disagree completely. Indiana Jones is a composite of the 1930's & 1940's serial adventurer stories, they are always a reference point.

As are the original Indy movies.

Besides, if nobody gives a crap about a black Annie or people who do not look or act like the source material in say comic book movies, then source material really isn't all that important, is it?

Indy Rebooted could be phenomenal. It's a great character, and there is no reason someone else couldn't do it justice in every conceivable way.

My only fear is it will somehow be made into a Will Smith vehicle, or he'll get involved to wedge his children into the film to try and keep building them a career the public doesn't want them to have.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:43 PM   #24
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2012

It's not a matter of if, but when. I just hope they pick someone who can play both the action and the comedy, but I also hope they decide to not remake any of the films. There are plenty of stories they could come up with, we don't need to see ones already told.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:52 PM   #25
Suspended

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post
I disagree completely. Indiana Jones is a composite of the 1930's & 1940's serial adventurer stories, they are always a reference point.
And Batman is basically Zorro & Sherlock Holmes, yet he's a unique character in and of himself. This isn't a strong argument, especially in this case since Indy is an original character that first appeared in film and not on the page. Ford IS Indy.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #26
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

Quote:
Originally Posted by klauswhereareyou View Post
It's not a matter of if, but when. I just hope they pick someone who can play both the action and the comedy, but I also hope they decide to not remake any of the films. There are plenty of stories they could come up with, we don't need to see ones already told.
I wouldn't mind if they rehashed the stories from the video games. I've always wanted to see a movie adaptation of The Fate of Atlantis. Wouldn't mind The Infernal Machine either (it's evidence that the Soviets can work as good villains in the Indy universe). Besides, Sophia Hapgood is a character with potential that's never been seen on the big screen, but appears in both games as the primary (and significant) love interest.

Otherwise, yeah, we don't need to see the Lost Ark, the Holy Grail, the Shankara Stones, or crystal skulls again.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #27
Expert Member

Jun 2007
San Diego, CA USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by klauswhereareyou View Post
If Harrison Ford passes....give it to the real Indiana Jones, Tom Selleck.
I would still like to see Tom play Indiana's brother.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #28
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2009

Quote:
And Batman is basically Zorro & Sherlock Holmes, yet he's a unique character in and of himself. This isn't a strong argument, especially in this case since Indy is an original character that first appeared in film and not on the page. Ford IS Indy.
The problem with this line of thinking is that, for you anyway, it begins and end with Ford, killing off the franchise. And that's not what studios are going to do; they'll keep it alive and milk it whether we want them to or not.

Ultimately though, who's to say that Indy isn't the late 20th century equivelant to Zorro or Sherlock Holmes? Why kill off that potential future because of one actor? Nobody's denying that Ford was bloody perfect in the role, but we can't predict that the future Indy won't be as good, or good in a different way.

What's the worst that's going to happen? They make a bad movie (again). Big deal, life goes on, and we can all still rewatch the first 3-4 movies. The best, however, is that Indy could remain a cultural icon for another 100 years with oodles more movies, all of which could be phenomenal fun. I think it's worth attempting.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:05 PM   #29
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Idris Elba for Indiana Jones!!!
Old 03-26-2014, 06:05 PM   #30
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3P0 View Post
Number 1 its not like the 4 movies with Ford would not never exist, we always have those to fall back on. The bigger issue lies in the fact that whoever does Indy out of the gate is going to be compared to Ford day in and day out. The Director is going to be compared to Spielberg day in and day out.
I wonder if this is how it was when On Her Majesty's Secret Service and Live and Let Die first came out.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:08 PM   #31
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
Northern Ireland

Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones, he is still alive they can easily make 5 and 6 even though 4 was laughably bad.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:15 PM   #32
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007

Quote:
No, Harrison Ford is Harrison Ford playing an invented character named Indiana Jones, who was fleshed out on paper so the actor had something to go by. Ford may have 'made it his' through his mannerisms and performance because little was seen beyond the movies and the TV series, but the fact remains that Indiana Jones has a persona that is not the same as Harrison Ford's personality.

In this regard he is no different than the first actor to play Batman, Zorro, or Sherlock Holmes which are all created characters.

Saying that a character can only ever be played by a single person because they were the first person to ever play them is as weak an argument as can be made.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:18 PM   #33
Suspended

Jul 2009

Old 03-26-2014, 06:22 PM   #34
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

I think had they done it after the third movie, it might have worked but now it seems like a bad idea especially since they talked about doing 3 more with Ford when Crystal Skull came out and that kind of died when the movie didn't do so great. Maybe time to let this one die and just create a new character instead.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #35
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde_devil View Post
I think had they done it after the third movie, it might have worked but now it seems like a bad idea especially since they talked about doing 3 more with Ford when Crystal Skull came out and that kind of died when the movie didn't do so great. Maybe time to let this one die and just create a new character instead.
Crystal Skull got good reviews, cost 185 million to make and made 786 million worldwide. I think the only people that it died with were some of the fans of the original films. I think it's okay, I don't love it as much as the other films, but it certainly didn't die.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #36
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
MA

Indiana Jones is my favorite franchise of all time, with that said I am open to another actor playing Indy (even though NOBODY will ever top Ford) because I love the character so much that I would hate it to end when Ford passes. As long as it's done right, it could be a great new start (just as the JJ Abrams Star Trek films are).
Old 03-26-2014, 06:27 PM   #37
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2012

I don't really see where you go from here though when Harrison Ford is now in his mid-70's. The main draw of these films are the action scenes, so if he's still in the part expect even more CGI enhancements than Crystal Skull.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #38
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007

Quote:
Yeah, that's generally how people look when they realize they're wrong.

Glad you came around
Old 03-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #39

Nov 2007

Would like to see Josh Holloway (of "Lost" fame) cast as the new Indiana Jones. Josh has the right talent and the look for the part.

By the way, I love Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones, but it is time for a reboot. Much better then having an old Indy and his son take over (god that was a terrible idea). Plus they can go back in time. I don't want a "modern" Indiana Jones.

Last edited by V2David; 03-26-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #40
Power Member

Nov 2010
Rhode Island

Indiana Jones is probably my favorite movie character. There is no doubt that Harrison Ford will always be Indiana Jones in my heart, but it's time to move on. I for one, am all for a new actor to put on the fedora. I want to see new adventures and I'm afraid Ford is just too old for the part anymore.

If not Bradley Cooper then who do you suggest? Two names that came to me were Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Taylor Kitsch. Neither are A-list stars, but the Indiana Jones character doesn't need to be. When Ford took the role, he was an up and coming star, but certainly not an A-list at that point.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies