Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 2 (1983-1993) (Blu-ray)
$80.99

Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Vol. 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.99

Shazam! 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.99
8 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Heart of Dragon (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Nobody (Blu-ray)
$6.99
9 hrs ago
The Conjuring Universe 7-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Barn (Blu-ray)
$18.47
4 hrs ago
Black Adam 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99
1 day ago
The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Halloween Ends 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 05-02-2014, 08:01 PM   #41
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2009
The Macroverse

As far as I'm concerned, Spider-Man 2 is still an excellent film. The original isn't far behind (it's got so many memorable moments) and for all its faults, Spider-Man 3 is an entertaining conclusion to the trilogy. Maybe I'm just a sucker for Raimi's odd sense of humour.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:51 PM   #42
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2013
South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
COMPLETELY disagree! Venom shouldn't have been in the movie at all! The movie should have focused solely on Sandman as the villain and Peter dealing with his issue with Harry Osbourne and his "dark side."
True, really the three villians in it needed their own Spiderman movie. To much to develope each character in one movie.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #43
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. View Post
True, really the three villians in it needed their own Spiderman movie. To much to develope each character in one movie.
I find this to be the case with Amazing Spider-man 2.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:03 PM   #44
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2013
South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony208 View Post
I find this to be the case with Amazing Spider-man 2.
Yea seeing the preview it looks like theirs to much going on.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:16 PM   #45
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Ontario, Canada

Spider-Man 2 or Spider-Man 2.1

What version is better? I remember watching 2.1 a lot because the train fight is longer but I didn't care for some of the additions like Jameson wearing the suit.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:44 AM   #46
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2012
Isla Nublar

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky87 View Post

What version is better? I remember watching 2.1 a lot because the train fight is longer but I didn't care for some of the additions like Jameson wearing the suit.
I prefer the theatrical cut. Not sure why, it's just the one I watch more.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:53 AM   #47
Banned

Feb 2013
Canada

Spider-Man 3 did have an awesome looking Spider-man black suit in it.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:59 AM   #48
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky87 View Post

2.1 for the train fight. Theatrical for everything else.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #49
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Quote:
Raimi's Felicia was expected to become a brand-new superpowered figure called the Vulturess.
Regardless if he would actually go through with it or not, if he actually considered this for even one minute, it's good he left. His Spider-Man movies were wrong enough as it was. (Such as having Mary Jane being Peter's first love interest, instead of his second. And other things.)
Thanks given by:
ramzy1 (05-04-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 06:25 AM   #50
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pounder View Post
Raimi's first two Spider Man movies are just better IMO than Webb's. Much more replay value and more entertaining. I do like Emma Stone over Dunst though.
Dunst doesn't know how to act. She was terrible as MJ
Old 05-03-2014, 06:45 AM   #51
Expert Member

Nov 2010

I love Spider-Man 1

it's campy over the top fun
with great performances from Simmons and the lovely lady who plays Aunt May
but Defoe steals the show with or without the helmet
and the fight scenes are fast and kinda surreal
cool stuff

my only gripe would be Macy Gray
- what the heck ?
Old 05-03-2014, 06:49 AM   #52
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by B72 View Post
I love Spider-Man 1

it's campy over the top fun
with great performances from Simmons and the lovely lady who plays Aunt May
but Defoe steals the show with or without the helmet
and the fight scenes are fast and kinda surreal
cool stuff

- what the heck ?
Oh I know. I just watched it last night and I forgot about that part. I was just thinking "why is this happening? I don't understand."
Old 05-03-2014, 07:10 AM   #53
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009

Spider-Man & Spider-Man 3 are my top favs. I loved Spider-Man 2, but not as much as 1 & 3. Mostly because I'm not a huge fan of Doc Ock. And yeah, the Macy Gray cameo in the first was horrible...
Old 05-03-2014, 07:20 AM   #54

Oct 2013
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal King View Post
What is this I don't even
Old 05-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #55
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

I love the Raimi trilogy. I love the Webb films. And, despite both series featuring Spider-Man, it's hard to compare the two.

The Raimi series is very much inspired by the Lee / Ditko / Romita comics. The spirit of those comics are infused in those films. That's partly why Venom doesn't work in Spider-Man 3. Those movies are very much influenced by the 60s and 70s era comics -- and I love them for it.

They're good-willed, warm, charming. They have their cheesy moments, sure. But I often get this goofy smile on my face while revisiting them, especially Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2.

The Webb series is more "modern" and that's partly why it's hard to compare series. It's like comparing Batman / Batman Returns / Batman Forever to the Nolan Batman films. They're so wildly different that it's hard to fairly compare them.

Spider-Man 2002 came out at a time where the superhero movie game was still in its crawling stages. The Amazing Spider-Man came out in a post Dark Knight, post Iron Man world -- and those two films changed the game forever. Ever since 2008, comic book films are taken more seriously than ever before, both by audiences and the studios. I don't think Spider-Man 4 -- which would have been released in 2011 -- would "fit in" after 2008. People consider Raimi's films "outdated," too kind-hearted, too soft, too childish, too corny, too... "old school."

They're kind of like Superman: The Movie. Charming, old school, a great movie... but a more updated, modern interpretation was needed, much in the way that Superman Returns was fine for 2006 -- but it wouldn't fit in after 2008. Man of Steel does fit in, though, because it's more serious, more violent, bigger, epic, darker -- what have you. That's where we're at right now, mostly. Man of Steel fits in in a post-Dark Knight world where the Donner films no longer have a place.

The same is true for The Amazing Spider-Man series. Despite having the title "The Amazing Spider-Man," it's more "Ultimate Spider-Man." Which is fine; it blends Ultimate with 616. People complained that The Amazing Spider-Man was "more of the same," or an unnecessary reboot, or a "remake" of Spider-Man... but they're so different.

I love all five Spidey films; yes, even Spider-Man 3. I didn't at first; I was let down. But once The Amazing Spider-Man came out, I loved it, I went back and revisited Spider-Man 3 and despite some obvious flaws, it's still a good movie. With some editing, there wouldn't be so many problems. It gets enough right where it doesn't deserve its "one of the worst ever" reputation it has.

They're just too different to compare - both in style and tone. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 took a direct storyline from the comics; a storyline from 1973 that defined Spider-Man for decades afterwards. But it was also infused with Ultimate; blue Electro, robot Rhino, etc. It took a classic silver age storyline and put it in a "modern" movie. For those unaware of what I mean, I'm talking about the
[Show spoiler]"The Night Gwen Stacy Died"
mini-arc. Would that arc have worked in the Raimi movies, despite their more "retro" feel and influence? Maybe, maybe not. Might have been too dark -- but it's right at home in the Webb series.

I don't agree the Raimi movies were "childish" -- just, like the Donner Superman, good-hearted, earnest, sweet. The Amazing Spider-Man series has more of an edge, but let's face it, like it or not -- it kind of has to have that these days. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 also has moments rooted from the classic comics - like the pure romanticism of it all. Spider-Man has always focused on the romance. It was a soap opera with superheroes. Even John Romita came off of romance comics and overhauled the book, taking the Ditko characters and making everyone look more romantic, more beautiful, more handsome. And the romance was always a major part of those books. Look at Gwen and Peter in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and tell me that you don't "feel" the romance from those Lee / Romita comics.

It blends the old with the new and, for this lifelong Spidey fan, it works.

I still think Spider-Man 2 (2004) is among the best comic book films, ever. It took Spider-Man and explored Peter Parker and showed the weight of his responsibility and it is pure, classic Spidey. It's like you're watching a Lee / Romita comic. But I love both series. The Amazing Spider-Man series is awesome. Raimi's series is awesome. Spider-Man 3 tried to do too much, but studio influence lead to Venom being shoehorned in and he didn't fit. Raimi got the character. Webb gets the character. Andrew portrays Spider-Man brilliantly - he's pretty perfect as Peter, in my eyes. Yes, he's more of a slacker/cooler/hipster Spidey that's not exactly from the comics, but it works for me. Different interpretations, and all. It's true enough to the character where I don't go, "that's not Spider-Man," even though it's different. Emma Stone as Gwen is perfect casting, right up there with Heath Ledger as the Joker.

Both series have a welcome place with me, especially on my movie shelves.

Last edited by DisneyBlu; 05-03-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Thanks given by:
Lehnhart (05-03-2014), rubystone356 (05-03-2014), The Mad Kiwi (05-04-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 08:14 AM   #56
Expert Member

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemaphile View Post
has anyone actually watched SM3 recently? forget the villains and such... the real offense was the jazz dancing, the strutting and pointing, etc... I was embarrassed for Maguire it was so awful.
I think those scenes came from Raimi's dislike of Venom, or that's what it seems like to me. And while I enjoyed the dance scene when I saw it on tv a couple of days ago for it's camp, I gotta admit that I really appreciate it as a middle finger to the suits.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:11 AM   #57
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 5/5
Amazing Spider-Man - 4.5/5
Spider-Man 3 - 3.5/5
Spider-Man 2 - 4/5
Spider-Man - 3/5
Old 05-03-2014, 05:30 PM   #58
Banned

Feb 2013
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Anakin View Post
Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 5/5

Amazing Spider-Man - 4.5/5

Spider-Man 3 - 3.5/5

Spider-Man 2 - 4/5

Spider-Man - 3/5

:lol: those ratings are something else alright.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:37 PM   #59
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2010
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by B72 View Post
I love Spider-Man 1
- what the heck ?
Product placement basically. An appearance to add a song and help sell the soundtrack (not score). (though after her 15 minutes of fame was up, the appearance was quickly dated and obsolete)

Last edited by cinemaphile; 05-03-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #60
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2010
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaBanana View Post
What is this I don't even
I'll tell you what it is - it's one of the primary reasons these films arent as good as they could have been: Maguire. The other two reasons: Dunst and Franco.

Last edited by cinemaphile; 05-03-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Tags
spider-man