Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$36.98

Highlander 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$23.98

The Karate Kid Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$51.98

Love Live! Superstar!! - The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
AU$47.98

Poltergeist 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$21.58

The Man Who Fell to Earth (Blu-ray)
AU$5.20

My Fair Lady (Blu-ray)
AU$5.20

Don't Worry Darling 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$32.95

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (Blu-ray)
AU$6.50

Cast Away (Blu-ray)
AU$5.20

Retro Sci-Fi Double Feature Volume 5 (Blu-ray)
AU$21.58

Highlander (Blu-ray)
AU$6.50

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia

Old 11-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #41
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
Australia

It's even worse when an Australian show fails to get the second season BD release but it is available in another country

Old 11-14-2014, 02:38 PM   #42
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011
Somewhere in the South
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Grimes View Post
Yeah. What is up with that. (Refusing to purchase Modern Family S5). Was hoping Fox would eventually release Family Guy on BD, fat chance that will happen now.
Very glad they are stilling releasing The Simpsons S17 on BD this December in Australia… The UK has never had a BD release.
Hope Fox continues releasing The Bridge and Justified (FX programs) on BD. Note: The Bridge has a US release only (but plays on Region B).

Speaking of Fox programs, The Following S2, for some unknown reason, perhaps a network (Channel 9) taking it's sweet time to air the show has had it's release pushed back...

From a November release…

To March…

Then to June! WTF!

UK and 5 other EU countries have had November releases and another country gets it in January.
It is beyond a joke. Might just buy from Amazon UK than wait the 8 months. Another travesty for TV on BD here.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-F...lu-ray/111739/

http://www.sanity.com.au/products/2276787/Following_S2
Following TV shows on disk is always frustrating as different countries will stagger their broadcasts so some are a very long time after the original screening. Its only with a few shows like Game of Thrones where HBO and their broadcast partners around the world synchronise screenings to minimise illegal online viewing. In the UK we see it only a day or so after its US broadcast.

You mention The Following which in the UK we are lucky we see soon after the US hence the early BD from Warner. However other shows are screwed here in the UK. A good example is Person of Interest where the UK is a year behind on its broadcasts so you can buy an overseas BD before it gets its first TV screening here.

There are also the two retail models for TV DVDs and BDs
UK will release the disk the week after it ends its TV run to maximise sales to people who watched the show and enjoyed it
US waits and only releases the disk when the next season is ready for broadcast so can be a year's wait
Old 11-15-2014, 04:39 PM   #43
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteberry View Post
Is season 7 of Californication going to get released on blu-ray or is it DVD only?
For those wanting a blu-ray of season 7, it will be released next month in Germany:
http://www.amazon.de/Californication.../dp/B00OUH90HS
Old 11-16-2014, 07:21 AM   #44
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy30 View Post
There are also the two retail models for TV DVDs and BDs
UK will release the disk the week after it ends its TV run to maximise sales to people who watched the show and enjoyed it
US waits and only releases the disk when the next season is ready for broadcast so can be a year's wait

A few Aussie shows do the same as the UK. I know Puberty Blues, Packer's War and the Bikie Wars were all on Blu the week after they finished airing.

For US it's different, mostly because they have bigger budgets (and can make more money). The delay allows them to tie the advertising and build-up for the new season to help sell the previous season's bluray - plus the wait opens them up for better offers for syndication and worldwide distribution.

An Australian or UK network, for example, would pay less to air a season if it can already be purchased elsewhere. Those of us that buy releases from the US aren't going to watch it on local TV and sit through commercials etc if we can already buy it from Amazon.com.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:48 AM   #45
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sfanboy View Post
It's even worse when an Australian show fails to get the second season BD release but it is available in another country

WTF!

It's a travesty...

It is a sad state of affairs when a TV show, or even an iconic Australian film (such as The Odd Angry Shot) gets a US BD release but is neglected by distributors here.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-O...Blu-ray/75117/

What's next... A Gallipoli BD release in the US, but not here.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:05 PM   #46
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012

Hawaii Five-O is another casualty of BD on TV. But it appears that it is not just in Australia but the US and other countries as well. S1-3 made an appearance, but S4 has been consigned to DVD only!

Not all is lost for BD collectors of the series though, as Germany will be getting a release in Feb and Japan already has had a release.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hawai...lu-ray/119126/

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hawai...lu-ray/113064/

And as there is a BD transfer available, it makes it even more frustrating that no release occurs in Australia or even the US.

I've said it before and I will say it again. If a studio/distributor has committed to releasing a series on BD, then at least see it through to the end. You owe the individuals (no matter how few they may be) the benefit of purchasing a HD presentation of a show they have already started collecting in HD.
(Examples in AUS: Weeds S1-6 BD; S7-8 DVD only, Californication S1-6 BD; S7 DVD only).

Oh yeah… What I initially wanted to complain about was where the f*ck are the Aussie releases for Grimm S3, Defiance S2 and why the hell is The Following S2 release been held off to June!
Old 03-31-2015, 03:53 PM   #47
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012

After only having a DVD release of Orange is the New Black S1 Roadshow have given BD aficionados what they should have got in the first place… A BD release! https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Orang...lu-ray/128186/
The S1 release comes out the same day as S2. Too late for this puppy, I bought the UK release last year. :roll eyes:

Love the way they push on the OITNB cover: A new series from the creator of Weeds. A TV show that Aussie distributors had BD for S1-6, then DVD only for the final 2 seasons.

And with the success of Veep, I'm pissed only S1 is available here. Hope the distributor rectifies this…

Wake up studios/distributors and those who sill watch DVD. DVD is 20 year old technology: the menus are frustrating and PAL simply sucks.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:03 AM   #48

Jun 2012
Perth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Grimes View Post
And with the success of Veep, I'm pissed only S1 is available here. Hope the distributor rectifies this…
I hear you on this one - got S2 from Amazon UK when it got below $20. What's really frustrating is that JB had a listing for S3 on BD up for a few days before it was pulled down.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #49

Apr 2015
Australia

This really shits me to tears.

I haven't even watched Eastbound & Down Season 4 as I was going to wait for the final season on BD. Now if I bite the bullet and get it from O/S, they won't look aesthetically pleasing to me with different designs.

Did Bored To Death Season 3 get a BD release?
Old 04-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #50
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sootster View Post

Did Bored To Death Season 3 get a BD release?

Not locally, no. Import only.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:36 PM   #51

Apr 2015
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ103 View Post
Not locally, no. Import only.
Thanks. Looks like I'll have to get that from O/S too.

Sigh.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:57 AM   #52

Jun 2012
Sydney Australia

The Doctor Blake Mysteries - Season 3 gets a blu-ray release on April 30th according to the latest JB Hi-Fi Stack magazine.

Yet I can only see listed the DVD version up for pre order on various retailers web sites.

Season 1 was released on blu-ray but don't think season 2 was.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:26 AM   #53

Aug 2010
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by g12345567 View Post
The Doctor Blake Mysteries - Season 3 gets a blu-ray release on April 30th according to the latest JB Hi-Fi Stack magazine.

Yet I can only see listed the DVD version up for pre order on various retailers web sites.

Season 1 was released on blu-ray but don't think season 2 was.
Unfortunately The Doctor Blake Mysteries: Season 3 will be DVD only, just like season 2. I just checked with Universal Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, to be sure.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:28 AM   #54

Nov 2010
Australia

It gets even worse now, and it's not just in Australia. Fox have announced via Al Jean (Simpsons Producer) that they will no longer be releasing any further seasons of The Simpsons on DVD or Bluray. Bundled to that is their lack of mention of other previously hinted at titles, both film and TV related, rumour is building that fox want to either scale back physical media releases or pull out all together.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:49 PM   #55
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnotoad8128 View Post
It gets even worse now, and it's not just in Australia. Fox have announced via Al Jean (Simpsons Producer) that they will no longer be releasing any further seasons of The Simpsons on DVD or Bluray. Bundled to that is their lack of mention of other previously hinted at titles, both film and TV related, rumour is building that fox want to either scale back physical media releases or pull out all together.
WHAT THE FRAK!

Came here to point out that Masters of Sex has not got a S2 release in Australia… And I read this about The Simpsons!
Old 06-14-2015, 10:28 AM   #56

Nov 2010
Australia

Yes, MOS Season 2 is only getting a DVD release here, which is becoming common practice, at least it's getting a physical release unlike The Simpsons. The completest in me is still gutted about that.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:52 PM   #57
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011
Somewhere in the South
-
-

Quote:
Yes, MOS Season 2 is only getting a DVD release here, which is becoming common practice, at least it's getting a physical release unlike The Simpsons. The completest in me is still gutted about that.
MOS S2 is already released by Sony on BD in most of Europe. I got from Amazon.fr for €25. Also had to import as in UK Sony have not bothered with BD for either S1 or S2.

It matches the European S1 BD in vanilla disks with no extras, unlike the U.S. releases which are RA locked but include plenty of extras.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:16 PM   #58
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012

Quote:
Gutted comes close to defining my disappointment. Totally tortured is perhaps a better adjective/simile… After buying Simpsons S1-12 on DVD (even getting the face packs from S6-S12), then running out on day one each time the BD came out, paying a lot of hard earned dosh, it is fraking frustrating that FOX is taking The Simpsons on disc away from the fans.

I am surprised they aren't going to continue with at least a limited release. For the last season (December 2014), all five BD sets we're sold out by Friday (1day after official release date) at the Adelaide St JB HiFi. They had one copy left at the Queen St store which I ducked out to grab five minutes after finding out the lack of copies. With that kind of popularity, I am sure Fox could sell enough Simpsons BDs to make a profit.

Frak Digital and online streaming!
Old 06-23-2015, 06:57 AM   #59

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy30 View Post
MOS S2 is already released by Sony on BD in most of Europe. I got from Amazon.fr for €25. Also had to import as in UK Sony have not bothered with BD for either S1 or S2.

It matches the European S1 BD in vanilla disks with no extras, unlike the U.S. releases which are RA locked but include plenty of extras.
Same with Helix and Hatfields and McCoys which Sony skipped blu ray UK releases. Got these from Germany. Also don't see Ray Donovan season 2 on the UK blu ray release schedule although there is an Australian release which is good.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:44 AM   #60

Jun 2015
Australia

I have Finally bit the bullet here in Australia and gone blue-Ray the reason I didn't for so long is I have over 1000 movies in my library, and had not been bothered to replace them all after all the VHS years of doing it,I am finally starting to replace those movies to Blu Ray start with my top favorites of all time, only made this choice this week.

The other reason it's taken me so long is from because of reasons that the original poster has said half the damm thing on Blu ray WE DO NOT GET HERE! I only have a PS4 and PS3 neither play Region A, I DO NOT want to have to buy another Blu Ray player to put in my TV Cabinet and I don't have anymore HDMI slots left on my TV for it!! I might have to bite the bullett and move things around, because I am finding I will have to import alot of stuff over

I can't even find the 224 Minute version of Dances with Wolves On DVD I would have to import from the US and they wonder why Australian retail is struggling not only are we having to pay about 40% more then other countries half the releases we don't even get here, and they wonder why we import online???

Looks like I will have to buy a $100 Blue Ray player and somehow find space in my cabinet and unplug a HDMI in my TV everytime I want to use the Blu Rayer player for a imported Blue Ray I SHOULD NOT have to do this!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia