Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Inu-Oh (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Attack on Titan: The Final Season - Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Entertainment District Arc (Blu-ray)
$34.48

Record of Ragnarok: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99
5 hrs ago
My Hero Academia: Season Five, Part Two (Blu-ray)
$35.38
13 hrs ago
GATE: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99
6 hrs ago
Lupin the 3rd Part I: The Classic Adventures (Blu-ray)
$45.50

The Demon Girl Next Door 2: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
12 hrs ago
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations: Set 14 (Blu-ray)
$35.17
1 day ago
Attack on Titan: The Final Season - Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Shaman King: Original 2003 English Dubbed TV Series (Blu-ray)
$33.60

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 11-22-2015, 09:52 PM   #1
Expert Member

Jun 2012
-
-
Default Digimon

So Digimon Adventure Tri looks pretty interesting, and like a lot of fun... But I've never watched Digimon before. Is this a sequel series to the original?

Anyone able to educate a little bit about the show in general? Is Tri something I could just jump into, or should I watch the older stuff first?

Thanks guys!
Old 11-22-2015, 10:37 PM   #2
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2007
California

I haven't seen it, but I can say that it would be better to watch the original Digimon Adventure aka Digimon Digital Monsters(which includes the 1st 2 Seasons) first because it shows the same cast but older which yes makes it a sequel.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:23 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011

Thought this topic would be about Digimon on Blu-ray but it's the new series, so, I've read great feedback from new show although I've yet to see it myself. Not sure if I'll like the new season but gonna give it a shot.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:54 AM   #4
Special Member

May 2014

Tri is a sequel to the first two seasons, Digimon Adventure and Digimon Adventure 02. Because this is currently only in Japan, I recommend watching the original Japanese versions of those, because the English dubs are pretty much treated like Saturday morning cartoons, and canged som plot-points.

Last edited by flash.over; 11-23-2015 at 03:58 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:00 AM   #5
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Since Crunchroll grabbed Tri, does that pretty much kill any chance of a BD release in America? Not up to date on what it means when Crunchroll grabs a show and what it means for a physical release in NA.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:24 AM   #6

Sep 2015
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by detective392 View Post
Since Crunchroll grabbed Tri, does that pretty much kill any chance of a BD release in America? Not up to date on what it means when Crunchroll grabs a show and what it means for a physical release in NA.
Do they also have Home Video rights though? Or just streaming?
Old 11-26-2015, 05:23 PM   #7
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclt1994 View Post
Do they also have Home Video rights though? Or just streaming?
Not sure. I know they are streaming it but not sure if they have home rights.

Do other companies usually get home rights if Crunchroll grabs the streaming rights?
Old 11-26-2015, 10:58 PM   #8

Sep 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Not sure. I know they are streaming it but not sure if they have home rights.

Do other companies usually get home rights if Crunchroll grabs the streaming rights?
Yes with only one single exception coming to mind. Crunchyroll bags streaming rights and nothing else almost universally.

The biggest hurdle for Digimon Adventure Tri making it out on BD here is whether the property can successfully divorce itself (atleast partially) from the family-friendly image Saban gave it. The family market, as Saban sees it, has very little interest in Blu-rays (see Power Rangers' lone failed BD attempt). Hell, the first 3 Digimon series have had official subs for years (which are awful, as are Tri's), and they never even got a cheapo DVD release.

Tri has done very well on Crunchyroll (which they were very savvy to predict) and I don't doubt that changes the landscape a bit, but I think it's more likely that you'll see a TV dub, a bilingual broadcast on Netflix and Hulu, and a bilingual DVD release. In that order. I'd love to be wrong, though.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:05 PM   #9
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha View Post
Yes with only one single exception coming to mind. Crunchyroll bags streaming rights and nothing else almost universally.

The biggest hurdle for Digimon Adventure Tri making it out on BD here is whether the property can successfully divorce itself (atleast partially) from the family-friendly image Saban gave it. The family market, as Saban sees it, has very little interest in Blu-rays (see Power Rangers' lone failed BD attempt). Hell, the first 3 Digimon series have had official subs for years (which are awful, as are Tri's), and they never even got a cheapo DVD release.

Tri has done very well on Crunchyroll (which they were very savvy to predict) and I don't doubt that changes the landscape a bit, but I think it's more likely that you'll see a TV dub, a bilingual broadcast on Netflix and Hulu, and a bilingual DVD release. In that order. I'd love to be wrong, though.
Hell, I'd be fine with a DVD release. I just hope we get some kind of home media release for Tri.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:09 PM   #10

Sep 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Hell, I'd be fine with a DVD release. I just hope we get some kind of home media release for Tri.
It'll happen. I am 100% confident it'll get, at the very least, a dub-only DVD here. I'm hopeful for a bilingual DVD, but a dub-only disc is an absolute shoe-in.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:42 AM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2010
Alabama

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha View Post
It'll happen. I am 100% confident it'll get, at the very least, a dub-only DVD here. I'm hopeful for a bilingual DVD, but a dub-only disc is an absolute shoe-in.
but really who knows since it's not a TV series, it's 6 theatrical films... it might be awhile before it makes it way to the US though, since the 2nd season of Fusion just ended a few months ago, 4 years after Japan, and there's been no word on if season 3 will come here yet either as far as I have heard.

I'd love it if they'd release them all on BD here, I'd take the editted version but if they did a new redub like Sailor Moon or even just used an uncut English dub from another country like Cardcaptor Sakura then that'd be even better. Would be great if they finally give us all those movies too! They were all dubbed, by the same company/with the same people as the series if I remember correctly, but never released in America. Digimon Fusion had a BD release planned in Germany but it turned out to be DVD only.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:35 PM   #12
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin87 View Post
but really who knows since it's not a TV series, it's 6 theatrical films... it might be awhile before it makes it way to the US though, since the 2nd season of Fusion just ended a few months ago, 4 years after Japan, and there's been no word on if season 3 will come here yet either as far as I have heard.

I'd love it if they'd release them all on BD here, I'd take the editted version but if they did a new redub like Sailor Moon or even just used an uncut English dub from another country like Cardcaptor Sakura then that'd be even better. Would be great if they finally give us all those movies too! They were all dubbed, by the same company/with the same people as the series if I remember correctly, but never released in America. Digimon Fusion had a BD release planned in Germany but it turned out to be DVD only.
So true. I am still waiting to get movies 4-7 on DVD here. With them releasing all the seasons I really thought we'd get a movie collection or something but nothing. Really sucks as I love the movies. Especially the 2 Tamer movies and ROD.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:25 AM   #13
Special Member

Jan 2006

I would first watch Digimon Season 1, which is, I think, a legendary romp across 52 episodes. Then watch Digimon Season 2, which has the same "digidestined" kids just a few years older...and also features a new bunch of kids. Not quite as good as S1, though.

Then watch season 3 with entirely new kids and pretty much entirely new characters. Season 3 is perhaps as good, and sometimes even better, than even S1.

Yes, yes, yes, yes.....this is all the English dub I'm referring to, but I love the humor that the Eng dubbers introduced into otherwise intensely dramatic and emotional scenes/situations that made N. America "Digimon" perhaps some of the best Eng-dubbed anime series ever done. Some of the Eng-dub writers are actually comics (aka from the comedy business). Great voice actors as well like Wendee Lee, Mona Marshall, Richard Epcar, R. Martin Klein, and Joshua Seth (Seth was the voice of Akira in the self-titled 2000 Eng-dub version of the legendary anime film from TMS).
Old 02-28-2016, 06:37 PM   #14
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Never really used crunchroll before but does anyone know when episode 1 parts 2-4 will be in HD. Finally got around to watching part 1 but would rather wait and see the rest in HD. Looked amazing at 1080p.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:40 PM   #15

Feb 2016
London, UK

I bought the limited edition of Digimon Tri part 1 Blu-ray from Amazon Japan last year and it sadly contains no subs or anything.

Has there even been any words when there will be a official English release? I assume Saban will still own the rights to the home media release right? Still waiting for a Blu-ray release in English.

Last edited by Tai; 02-29-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #16
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai View Post
I bought the limited edition of Digimon Tri part 1 Blu-ray from Amazon Japan last year and it sadly contains no subs or anything.

Has there even been any words when there will be a official English release? I assume Saban will still own the rights to the home media release right? Still waiting for a Blu-ray release in English.
No word yet but I'm hoping someone picks it up for an English home video release and gives us a BD.

Maybe they are waiting till all 6 movies air first?
Old 03-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #17

Feb 2016
London, UK

Quote:
No word yet but I'm hoping someone picks it up for an English home video release and gives us a BD.

Maybe they are waiting till all 6 movies air first?
Yeah, I also wonder how they will air in the US or if they just get a straight release to Blu-ray etc.

Would be nice if we get a Blu-Ray release of Digimon The Movie.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:17 PM   #18
Special Member

Nov 2014
Midwest

How edited is the original Digimon series dub, in terms of cut scenes and whatnot?

I ask because Japan has seen a release of both Digimon Adventure and Digimon Adventure 02 now, it's possible that they'll continue to release the rest of the franchise in a similar manner. Would love a stateside release, but a butchered dub means it would be extremely difficult for a bilingual set to come out here.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #19

Feb 2016
London, UK

To be fair the DVDs of the series took ages to be released so a Blu-ray release may take a while imo. I own the Japanese Blu-Ray of Season 1 and it is different in terms of how the English dub has been edited. I am also planning on getting Adventure 02 set once it is out.

Last edited by Tai; 03-02-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #20
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai View Post
To be fair the DVDs of the series took ages to be released so a Blu-ray release may take a while imo. I own the Japanese Blu-Ray of Season 1 and it is different in terms of how the English dub has been edited. I am also planning on getting Adventure 02 set once it is out.
Yeah, I'm still hoping we get movies 4-7 dubbed on DVD soon. Now that the seasons are out I'm still hoping they will give us the rest of the movies. Besides Our War Game all my favorites are unreleased. Huge fan of Revenge of Diaboromon and the Tamer movies.

I can maybe see Tri getting a BD release depending on who get's it but not seasons 1-4 or the first movie.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime