Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The King of Braves GaoGaiGar: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$67.81
1 day ago
Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Attack on Titan: The Final Season - Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation - Season 1, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$37.49

The Demon Girl Next Door 2: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations: Set 14 (Blu-ray)
$31.51
1 hr ago
Dragon Ball Z: Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan / Broly - Second Coming / Bio-Broly (Blu-ray)
$16.83

Inu-Oh (Blu-ray)
$19.96

GATE: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99

Record of Ragnarok: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Tetsujin 28 FX: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$46.39
1 day ago
Lupin the 3rd Part I: The Classic Adventures (Blu-ray)
$45.50

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 11-19-2022, 01:14 AM   #761
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2006

Why doesn’t anyone have plans for macross zero and does anybody have plans for original macross?
Old 11-22-2022, 06:49 PM   #762

Feb 2016
Planar Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman2000 View Post
Why doesnít anyone have plans for macross zero and does anybody have plans for original macross?
Big West confirmed at their last panel that the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross rights are with Harmony Gold, so it'd be up to them (and by extension their home video partner Crunchyroll) to release it.

DYRL is off limits. It's not happening. I'd honestly be shocked if it ever even gets another Japanese release.

According to Big West, Zero is as simple as no one's licensed it yet. They confirmed that there are no weird Harmony Gold-related or Music-related licensing issues, and that it's open for anyone willing to license it.

This is a completely random guess with zero (heh) backing, but my theory is that Macross Zero is that other "secret project" (alongside Macross II) that AnimEigo has delayed a few times, but I don't actually have any evidence for this outside of a gut feeling.
Old 11-22-2022, 07:25 PM   #763
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_i View Post
Big West confirmed at their last panel that the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross rights are with Harmony Gold, so it'd be up to them (and by extension their home video partner Crunchyroll) to release it.
Thatís disappointing because if they do re release it is going to be that awful dragon ball z style blu ray they did for robotech.
Old 11-22-2022, 07:27 PM   #764
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_i View Post
This is a completely random guess with zero (heh) backing, but my theory is that Macross Zero is that other "secret project" (alongside Macross II) that AnimEigo has delayed a few times, but I don't actually have any evidence for this outside of a gut feeling.
Robertís already made clear that it isnít.

https://twitter.com/animeigo/status/...CB_8v8x4N5Lztw (07/05/22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Woodhead
Couple extra t's that need to be dotted and i's that need to be crossed. Announcement later this week.

Comment from a fan:

ĒYou have another goodie for us beside Macross II Rob?Ē

https://twitter.com/animeigo/status/...CB_8v8x4N5Lztw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Woodhead
Yes, this is not Macross-related.
Thanks given by:
Gowho (11-23-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 01:04 PM   #765
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010

Quote:
Thatís disappointing because if they do re release it is going to be that awful dragon ball z style blu ray they did for robotech.
If HG does release Macross, it will likely be the HD telecine from the Macross portion of Robotech that was used for the BDs, with the audio tracks from the ADV Macross DVDs tacked on as the audio. They could slap it together in a week from the existing assets pile they have.
Old 11-23-2022, 04:51 PM   #766
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInHD View Post
If HG does release Macross, it will likely be the HD telecine from the Macross portion of Robotech that was used for the BDs, with the audio tracks from the ADV Macross DVDs tacked on as the audio. They could slap it together in a week from the existing assets pile they have.
When I imported the JP release I muxxed in the ADV soundtrack and English subs. Think I’ll stick with that given how mediocre the HD Robotech was.

If they’re all playing nice now I don’t really see why HG didn’t ask for the JP Macross master for the Robotech HD remaster. Laziness
Old 11-23-2022, 05:00 PM   #767
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2006

Quote:
Then why did robotech turn out looking like garbage from funimation then?
Old 11-23-2022, 05:38 PM   #768
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010

Quote:
Then why did robotech turn out looking like garbage from funimation then?
As we have covered before, the HD masters were simple telecine transfers made by Harmony Gold that were conformed to the Robotech Remastered edits, which were combined with the DVD audio and up-scaled SD beginning/ending credits from the Robotech Remastered asset pile, and those were then put on Blu-Ray and streaming. It was a quick and dirty way to get Robotech onto Blu-Ray and the easiest, least expensive route, as HG no longer has any media creation facilities in it's holdings and hasn't since the early 2000's. Southern Cross hasn't been remastered in HD yet, so in order to release Robotech, the easiest and cheapest way to do it is to simply use the HG film assets, as they had all three series in their vaults. At this time, we believe that Funimation had no involvement with Robotech in HD beyond publishing the Blu-Rays and putting the show on their streaming service, especially since they didn't promote the Robotech release at all, which was apparently done entirely by HG's social media staff, via the Robotech SM channels.
Thanks given by:
jignat (11-24-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 05:43 PM   #769
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2006

Quote:
As we have covered before, the HD masters were simple telecine transfers made by Harmony Gold that were conformed to the Robotech Remastered edits, which were combined with the DVD audio and up-scaled SD beginning/ending credits from the Robotech Remastered asset pile, and those were then put on Blu-Ray and streaming. It was a quick and dirty way to get Robotech onto Blu-Ray and the easiest, least expensive route, as HG no longer has any media creation facilities in it's holdings and hasn't since the early 2000's. At this time, we believe that Funimation had no involvement with Robotech in HD beyond publishing the Blu-Rays and putting the show on their streaming service, especially since they didn't promote the Robotech release at all, which was apparently done entirely by HG's social media staff, via the Robotech SM channels.
The reason I thought it was a funimation transfer is the contrast and grain reduction looks like how they did the dragon ball z blu rays. so it was easy for me to think they worked on the transfer in the same way.
Old 11-23-2022, 06:17 PM   #770

Feb 2018

Quote:
The reason I thought it was a funimation transfer is the contrast and grain reduction looks like how they did the dragon ball z blu rays. so it was easy for me to think they worked on the transfer in the same way.
What grain reduction? Near as I can tell, Robotech on BD looks exactly like a bunch of very old footage brought to disc with no cleanup whatsoever. Likely the reason its bitrate is so much higher than usual for Funchyroll is because the whole thing is swimming in grain at all times - which doesn't compress very well.
Old 11-23-2022, 06:29 PM   #771
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffy View Post
What grain reduction? Near as I can tell, Robotech on BD looks exactly like a bunch of very old footage brought to disc with no cleanup whatsoever. Likely the reason its bitrate is so much higher than usual for Funchyroll is because the whole thing is swimming in grain at all times - which doesn't compress very well.
I guess the only it has in common with the dragon ball z blu rays then from the screenshots I saw is blindly bright contrast and over saturated colors.
Old 11-24-2022, 06:37 PM   #772
Power Member

Mar 2010
Room 303, The Heart o' the City Hotel
Send a message via AIM to Lionel Horsepackage

Quote:
Though I remember Justin Sevakis tweeting that Harmony Gold now has access to the legitimate Big West HD-remasters in Japan due to the new deal, but yeah, they could put something together quickly if they wanted to.
Old 11-24-2022, 06:58 PM   #773
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Horsepackage View Post
Though I remember Justin Sevakis tweeting that Harmony Gold now has access to the legitimate Big West HD-remasters in Japan due to the new deal, but yeah, they could put something together quickly if they wanted to.
On paper, they should have access to the HD masters, but that doesn't mean that they actually do - without paying $$$$$$$$ for them - and since Frank Agrama only does what's cheapest and quickest or what he can get away with or uses what he can get someone else to pay for without having to pay much or anything for reusing, it's likely that a Macross release will be what I described above, unless Funimation or whomever else picks up the tab to have it done properly.
Old 12-02-2022, 07:59 AM   #774
Expert Member

Oct 2014

Quote:
As we have covered before, the HD masters were simple telecine transfers made by Harmony Gold that were conformed to the Robotech Remastered edits, which were combined with the DVD audio and up-scaled SD beginning/ending credits from the Robotech Remastered asset pile, and those were then put on Blu-Ray and streaming. It was a quick and dirty way to get Robotech onto Blu-Ray and the easiest, least expensive route, as HG no longer has any media creation facilities in it's holdings and hasn't since the early 2000's. Southern Cross hasn't been remastered in HD yet, so in order to release Robotech, the easiest and cheapest way to do it is to simply use the HG film assets, as they had all three series in their vaults. At this time, we believe that Funimation had no involvement with Robotech in HD beyond publishing the Blu-Rays and putting the show on their streaming service, especially since they didn't promote the Robotech release at all, which was apparently done entirely by HG's social media staff, via the Robotech SM channels.
Hard to tell with how few people seem to care about Southern Cross or Mospeada.

I was under the impression the Macross portion of the blu-rays is the worst of the lot.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime