Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Bullet Train (iTunes)
$4.99
5 hrs ago
Stanley Kubrick: 7-Film Collection (iTunes)
$34.99
5 hrs ago
A24 Pack (iTunes)
$14.99
5 hrs ago
Tr (iTunes)
$9.99
5 hrs ago
Kubrick: 3-Film Collection (iTunes)
$14.99
5 hrs ago
The Woman King (iTunes)
$7.99
5 hrs ago
Blade Runner 3-Film Collection (iTunes)
$14.99
5 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (iTunes)
$6.99
5 hrs ago
Titanic (iTunes)
$9.99
5 hrs ago
Deadpool 2-Movie Collection (iTunes)
$19.99
5 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (iTunes)
$7.99
5 hrs ago
The Matrix: 4-Film Dj Vu Collection (iTunes)
$24.99
5 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 08-29-2017, 01:05 AM   #1

Apr 2016
Default New to Vudu - UHD Quirks?

Hey All,

This weekend, I went through my Bluray collection and redeemed all of my UV copies. I redeemed them all through the website provided in the case and linked them all to VUDU.

I have some questions regarding my 4K Discs.

Some 4K Discs have an orange UHD banner in my Vudu account and I am able to play that movie in UHD (Example. Fantastic Beasts)

Some 4K Discs have an orange UHD banner, but do not show I own the UHD version and ask for me to buy for $25 or so and it only shows me having the HDX version (Example Guardians of the Galaxy v2)

And some 4K Discs that I redeemed do not show the orange UHD banner at all and I don't have the option to buy, it's like the UHD version doesn't exists (Alien Covenant)

So -are these "normal" or errors? If I have a 4k movie and redeem the UV, should I expect a UHD copy in VUDU? Why would Guardians of the Galaxy 2 not consider the UHD copy unlocked with my code?

Thanks for the help!

Some 4K Disc
Old 08-29-2017, 01:34 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer Essence View Post
Hey All,

This weekend, I went through my Bluray collection and redeemed all of my UV copies. I redeemed them all through the website provided in the case and linked them all to VUDU.

I have some questions regarding my 4K Discs.

Some 4K Discs have an orange UHD banner in my Vudu account and I am able to play that movie in UHD (Example. Fantastic Beasts)

Some 4K Discs have an orange UHD banner, but do not show I own the UHD version and ask for me to buy for $25 or so and it only shows me having the HDX version (Example Guardians of the Galaxy v2)

And some 4K Discs that I redeemed do not show the orange UHD banner at all and I don't have the option to buy, it's like the UHD version doesn't exists (Alien Covenant)

So -are these "normal" or errors? If I have a 4k movie and redeem the UV, should I expect a UHD copy in VUDU? Why would Guardians of the Galaxy 2 not consider the UHD copy unlocked with my code?

Thanks for the help!

Some 4K Disc
Fox and Disney codes don't redeem in 4K. The UHD banner in Vudu is just a flag indicating UHD is available.

You can check the 4K UHD digital copy thread and the spread sheet for questions on other specific movies.
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...72239&page=100

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...tmh4/htmlview#
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (02-03-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

May 2007

VUDU needs to step up its game and have all 4K movies that are on 4K blu-ray available to buy. Also any movie that has been remastered VUDU and other streaming sites need the latest version and not the older previous version. Also all movies should be in the correct aspect ratio. I wish VUDU would get the remastered version of Highlander and Terminator and Terminator 2.
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (01-28-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 03:12 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

May 2007

We need a section on Blu-ray.com that has UHD movies coming to VUDU...
Old 01-27-2018, 04:42 PM   #5

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyman View Post
Fox and Disney codes don't redeem in 4K. The UHD banner in Vudu is just a flag indicating UHD is available.

You can check the 4K UHD digital copy thread and the spread sheet for questions on other specific movies.
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...72239&page=100

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...tmh4/htmlview#
Fox and Disney want more money from us to double dip after buying 4k physical to 4k digital.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:23 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2008

I redeemed GOTG vol2 @ VUDU and it is UHD also it ported @ iTunes as UHD. Always check the 4K UHD spreadsheet list. I also check VUDU to see what is UHD BEFORE I redeem any code. MoviesAnywhere is not 4K UHD only HD.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:55 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab1219 View Post
I redeemed GOTG vol2 @ VUDU and it is UHD also it ported @ iTunes as UHD. Always check the 4K UHD spreadsheet list. I also check VUDU to see what is UHD BEFORE I redeem any code. MoviesAnywhere is not 4K UHD only HD.
Yeah so did I, but Guardians 2 and Pirates no longer redeem as UHD. That short window has been closed for a while.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:46 PM   #8

Sep 2017
Just across the river from Augusta National Golf Club

It should be a simple process not requiring a spreadsheet to review when an owner of a 4K movie attempts to redeem the digital version of the movie. At the very least, there should be some truth in advertising required from the people releasing the disk whether or not the movie's digital code will redeem and at what level, and it should be further required to be listed on the exterior dvd packaging cover. The various companies have been given a pass on this up to now and it needs to come to an end, and the only way it can come to an end is from the customer demanding it.

I own about 75% of all the 4K movies and when I first starting buying them, I gave a pass to the various problems with the digital versions of those movies, thinking it was because 4K was new. Now over a year later and prices have pretty much stayed the same, the same problems exist relating to digital and in some cases are more blatant.

We are beyond the "new" stages now, and the problems still exist and as always it has to do with money, or more specific, the desire to squeeze every drop of revenue out of a disk release as possible.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:31 PM   #9
Blu-ray Count

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by novoice2008 View Post
It should be a simple process not requiring a spreadsheet to review when an owner of a 4K movie attempts to redeem the digital version of the movie. At the very least, there should be some truth in advertising required from the people releasing the disk whether or not the movie's digital code will redeem and at what level, and it should be further required to be listed on the exterior dvd packaging cover. The various companies have been given a pass on this up to now and it needs to come to an end, and the only way it can come to an end is from the customer demanding it.

I own about 75% of all the 4K movies and when I first starting buying them, I gave a pass to the various problems with the digital versions of those movies, thinking it was because 4K was new. Now over a year later and prices have pretty much stayed the same, the same problems exist relating to digital and in some cases are more blatant.

We are beyond the "new" stages now, and the problems still exist and as always it has to do with money, or more specific, the desire to squeeze every drop of revenue out of a disk release as possible.
it is listed on the back what digital version you are entitled to...

Under TERMS: May only include HD main feature.

(NOTE: Not my picture)

Fox specifically says Digital HD, not 4K.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:31 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
N. Texas

My Leon The Professional coupons both say "DIGITAL HD" WITH ULTRAVIOLET.

One coupon is from the "MASTERED IN 4K IMMERSIVE AUDIO" BD released in 2015 by SONY.

One coupon is from the "4K ULTRA HD" combo that also includes the "BLU-RAY MOVIE" released in 2017 by SONY.

I assume the Digital HD files are identical....

Are They ???

-------------------------------------------

I see it can be UHD per the spreadsheet....

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Htmh4/htmlview

Last edited by Eye Candy; 02-04-2018 at 03:03 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:07 AM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2014

What the code slip or slipcover or back cove art says is irrelevant. The studios are not "telling you" what you get (HD or SD or UHD)

All that matters is what the codes actually do. Which, unfortunately, why we have someone maintaining that google doc link above.

And yes, Fox, for example, simply does not have their codes redeem as UHD. (so Alien Covenant will not have the "orange banner" in Vudu, no UHD on Vudu)

Disney did for the short period referenced above, and so I have Guardians 2 in UHD, and had redeemed it in UHD.

Sony codes (as in the above post) usually redeem UHD at Sony's site, but only to the UV locker. You can watch those in UHD using Sony's app. Or the few that Sony has on Vudu (Spider-Man Homecoming, Baby Driver). Otherwise they are HD in Vudu

And for all the studios that DO allow a UHD redeem, there are exceptions where a movie only redeems HD, for whatever reason. Again, necessitating the Google doc reference.

And again, the google doc, so you know which codes to redeem on FandangoNow, since ONLY THERE can you redeem for UHD, and ONLY THERE can you view it in UHD (which is fine, because FN works just as well, often better, than Vudu)
Old 02-04-2018, 03:25 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
N. Texas

In my VUDU account, all of my movies show they have been redeemed in "HDX", except for BR2049, which redeemed in UHD.

And, bty, when I stream the BR 2049 from VUDU, on my non 4K UHD system, it streams at HDX...

Last edited by Eye Candy; 02-04-2018 at 06:16 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:31 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Candy View Post
My Leon The Professional coupons both say "DIGITAL HD" WITH ULTRAVIOLET.

One coupon is from the "MASTERED IN 4K IMMERSIVE AUDIO" BD released in 2015 by SONY.

One coupon is from the "4K ULTRA HD" combo that also includes the "BLU-RAY MOVIE" released in 2017 by SONY.

I assume the Digital HD files are identical....

Are They ???

-------------------------------------------

I see it can be UHD per the spreadsheet....

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Htmh4/htmlview
Technically they are different, when you redeem the code from the 4K disc, at the Sonypicturesstore, it will guarantee 4K right via Sony Ultra App, and whatever provider include it (via UV linked accounts). It will take. Little bit to crosss populate.

Fitprod
Old 02-05-2018, 06:25 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Dawson, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitprod View Post
Technically they are different, when you redeem the code from the 4K disc, at the Sonypicturesstore, it will guarantee 4K right via Sony Ultra App, and whatever provider include it (via UV linked accounts). It will take. Little bit to crosss populate.
When I tried to redeem my 4K digital copy of "Leon: The Professional" at SonyPicturesStore, there was no option to redeem there, and unfortunately I accidentally clicked on the link which redeemed it at VUDU, given me 2K digital copies.

I contacted SonyPicturesStore about it, and was told that I redeemed the code at VUDU, and I should contact VUDU about the redemption redeeming in 2K. No help offered.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:31 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Dawson, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedknee View Post
And yes, Fox, for example, simply does not have their codes redeem as UHD. (so Alien Covenant will not have the "orange banner" in Vudu, no UHD on Vudu)
Redeeming Fox titles at iTunes will port 4K to your MA account.

It won't port to VUDU as such, but you will have UHD digital copy rights.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:38 PM   #16
Blu-ray Count

Nov 2008

Quote:
And, bty, when I stream the BR 2049 from VUDU, on my non 4K UHD system, it streams at HDX...
Well, yes, that's not a quirk, that's how it is supposed to work. You buy/redeem in UHD then you get UHD/HD/SD, buy/redeem in HD get SD. You can't go up but you can go down.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:41 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Dawson, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dave View Post
Well, yes, that's not a quirk, that's how it is supposed to work. You buy/redeem in UHD then you get UHD/HD/SD, buy/redeem in HD get SD. You can't go up but you can go down.
Re-read his statement. He bought/redeemed in UHD. His TV's VUDU app isn't 4K capable.

Disregard! My bad...

Last edited by Alan Gordon; 02-05-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:45 PM   #18
Blu-ray Count

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gordon View Post
Re-read his statement. He bought/redeemed in UHD. His TV's VUDU app isn't 4K capable.
He said non 4K UHD system not that the app isn't 4K capable:

Quote:
Which is why I said that's not a quirk, that's how it works. You don't need a 4K setup to watch UHD at Vudu, it switches to the HDX stream when the 4K requirements aren't met. For 3D, its different, unless you got a 3D and 2D bundle... the title will not play on a non 3D full system setup.
Thanks given by:
Alan Gordon (02-05-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 06:53 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Dawson, GA

Quote:
He said non 4K UHD system not that the app isn't 4K capable:

Which is why I said that's not a quirk, that's how it works. You don't need a 4K setup to watch UHD at Vudu, it switches to the HDX stream when the 4K requirements aren't met. For 3D, its different, unless you got a 3D and 2D bundle... the title will not play on a non 3D full system setup.
Aah yes, my bad, I'll edit my response.

I made the assumption based off of him having the UHD copy of "Blade Runner 2049", and knowing someone with a 4K TV whose VUDU app isn't 4K capable.

Your response also makes more sense now too.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:20 AM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
N. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitprod View Post

Fitprod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gordon View Post
When I tried to redeem my 4K digital copy of "Leon: The Professional" at SonyPicturesStore, there was no option to redeem there, and unfortunately I accidentally clicked on the link which redeemed it at VUDU, given me 2K digital copies.

I contacted SonyPicturesStore about it, and was told that I redeemed the code at VUDU, and I should contact VUDU about the redemption redeeming in 2K. No help offered.
Quote:
Yes, okay, I was just mentioning VUDU auto-downgrading my BR2049 UHD redemption to HDX when watching it on a non-UHD system... But I didn't mean to imply that that was a quirk.

Here's a response I got from VUDU C/S the other day:

"Leon The Profession will only redeem in HDX as we only offer the HDX format for that title."
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > UltraViolet (Discontinued)