Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The King of Braves GaoGaiGar: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$67.81
1 day ago
Attack on Titan: The Final Season - Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation - Season 1, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$37.49

The Demon Girl Next Door 2: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations: Set 14 (Blu-ray)
$31.51
2 hrs ago
Inu-Oh (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Dragon Ball Z: Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan / Broly - Second Coming / Bio-Broly (Blu-ray)
$16.83

Tetsujin 28 FX: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$46.39
1 day ago
GATE: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99

Record of Ragnarok: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Lupin the 3rd Part I: The Classic Adventures (Blu-ray)
$45.50

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 02-19-2019, 03:19 AM   #41

Dec 2009
Idaho, USA
Send a message via AIM to wswartzendruber Send a message via MSN to wswartzendruber

Well in order to have the "complete" Bleach anime, we would need the Thousand Year Blood War arc, wouldn't we?

As for releasing what they did manage to animate on Blu-ray, it looks all but certain that it's cancelled. Seriously, where is Set 05? I guess it's good (sarcasm) that they at least finished the Bount filler arc before throwing in the towel.

With all that said, I was in Barnes & Noble a couple of days ago and happened to read some of the Bleach manga in the store. Both the first and last volumes were amazing to read on physical paper, and that is what I will buy. All of them.

To conclude, the dimwit animation managers only had 2/3 of the series animated, and what they did get around to was stuffed with filler. And they can't even figure out how to get it onto Blu-ray.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:14 AM   #42
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2013
-
-

Not for a second did I believe Viz would manage to get the complete series on Blu-ray. If nothing else, it's good we got the Soul Society arc because that is everyone's favorite. Viz should have known going in that all of the fillers would take a toll on sales and accounted for that.

Honestly it's just so disappointing to me. If Bleach couldn't meet Viz's expectations, then what can?
Old 02-19-2019, 04:36 AM   #43

Dec 2009
Idaho, USA
Send a message via AIM to wswartzendruber Send a message via MSN to wswartzendruber

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
Not for a second did I believe Viz would manage to get the complete series on Blu-ray. If nothing else, it's good we got the Soul Society arc because that is everyone's favorite. Viz should have known going in that all of the fillers would take a toll on sales and accounted for that.

Honestly it's just so disappointing to me. If Bleach couldn't meet Viz's expectations, then what can?
What I want to know is...why did they even start releasing them? The especially confusing part is them expending the same level of resources to restore the Bount arc before quitting. Why not stop after finishing the Soul Society arc? Deductively, they intended to continue with releases...but stopped.

Last edited by wswartzendruber; 02-19-2019 at 04:41 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:40 AM   #44
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzendruber View Post
What I want to know is...why did they even start releasing them? The especially confusing part is them expending the same level of resources to restore the Bount arc before quitting. Why not stop after finishing the Soul Society arc?
Good question. It isn't like Bleach is still a hot series anymore, it has fallen off in popularity considerably. Releasing the original Naruto on Blu-ray first would have been a smarter idea. It's also weird because the Bleach DVDs only reached completion maybe 3 years ago, give or take, whereas Naruto ended a decade ago.
Thanks given by:
zenpai (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 04:43 AM   #45

Dec 2009
Idaho, USA

Quote:
Good question. It isn't like Bleach is still a hot series anymore, it has fallen off in popularity considerably. Releasing the original Naruto on Blu-ray first would have been a smarter idea. It's also weird because the Bleach DVDs only reached completion maybe 3 years ago, give or take, whereas Naruto ended a decade ago.
I didn't know about that. That just makes things even more wonky.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:02 AM   #46
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2015

Quote:
Personally I think Naruto would be harder to sell then bleach because it has a solid block of filler that is over 80 eps long. At least with the bleach sets they can slip some eps people want in with the filler and use that for advertising on the back but Naruto would be 3 or 4 solid volumes of filler at minimum. I mean really just think about how Naruto is more then 38% back to back filler episodes one after another that's crazy.
Thanks given by:
zenpai (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 03:46 PM   #47

Dec 2009
Idaho, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritas View Post
Personally I think Naruto would be harder to sell then bleach because it has a solid block of filler that is over 80 eps long. At least with the bleach sets they can slip some eps people want in with the filler and use that for advertising on the back but Naruto would be 3 or 4 solid volumes of filler at minimum. I mean really just think about how Naruto is more then 38% back to back filler episodes one after another that's crazy.
How many filler arcs does Naruto have? Bleach has at least four main arcs that are filler, with more filler episodes distributed throughout.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:51 PM   #48
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
How many filler arcs does Naruto have? Bleach has at least four main arcs that are filler, with more filler episodes distributed throughout.
The first like 130 episodes of the original Naruto are all manga content, with the exception of 4 or 5 episodes. I remember one filler was where Team 7 is trying to unmask Kakashi and then there's another tiny arc right before episode 100. It's been 12 years since I've seen it but I believe that filler arc leads into the Naruto and Sasuke's rooftop battle, so it isn't a completely worthless filler. It shows Sasuke starting to get angry at how much more powerful Naruto is than him.

Shippuden has fillers scattered throughout. The war seriously had certain increments where it was 2-3 main story episodes and then another 2-3 fillers right after, it was really bad toward the end of the series. I dropped it because the war wasn't keeping my interest and the fillers were out of hand.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:10 AM   #49
Power Member

Jul 2011

Some of Bleach later filler arcs were really good though.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:43 AM   #50
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashad30 View Post
Some of Bleach later filler arcs were really good though.
I've never watched any of them. I own the Bount arc on Blu-ray but couldn't bring myself to slog through it. I skipped over the Zanpakutō Rebellion arc too.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:18 AM   #51

Dec 2009
Idaho, USA

Quote:
I've never watched any of them. I own the Bount arc on Blu-ray but couldn't bring myself to slog through it. I skipped over the Zanpakutō Rebellion arc too.
The Bount arc was boring and the Zanpakuto Rebellion arc was outright stupid.

But the Captain Amagai arc was actually really good.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:50 AM   #52
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

I basically dropped all shounen because of the dragging out of manga content by padding it with filler garbage. It was bad having to sit through prolonged independent filler arcs like the Bount Arc and that period in Naruto before Shippuuden started, but at least they were independent, once they started weaving it into the adapted material so one manga chapter could last 1-3 episodes they basically ruined everything they had built.

It's a damn shame, and then on the opposite side of the spectrum you would get something like Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood or the Berserk TV show that make a big song and dance about finally adapting the material faithfully and really being in a perfect position to do that... and then they just gut the material mercilessly, editing whole arcs down to breaking point. It's just tragic. At least back in the old days they had an excuse for diverging from the manga once they caught up to it, you know?
Old 02-20-2019, 02:35 AM   #53
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2017

I quite frankly don't care how close any adaptation is to its source material because I'll probably never be familiar with it, and it really doesn't matter in the end. Because I don't like the structure of manga (well, I like it, but animation, music and voice acting is 100% better) I'll take a drawn out, filler-ridden series than having to read a manga.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:16 AM   #54
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

As the old saying goes: You don't know what you're missing out on!

My post though had nothing to do with a comic reader being salty about a lack of faithfulness to the source and was directly addressing shows that descend into mediocrity because they're padding things out or gutting content until it all falls apart. You don't need to be a manga reader to realise that there was something very wrong with Shippuden for instance, or much of the One Piece anime since at least the War on Marineford.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:11 AM   #55

Dec 2009
Idaho, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
I quite frankly don't care how close any adaptation is to its source material because I'll probably never be familiar with it, and it really doesn't matter in the end. Because I don't like the structure of manga (well, I like it, but animation, music and voice acting is 100% better) I'll take a drawn out, filler-ridden series than having to read a manga.
You might find that "having to read a manga" is actually more enjoyable.

If you haven't tried it, go into someplace that sells manga and pick one up. Read a few pages, see you how you like it.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:20 AM   #56
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2012
Denmark

Some of us will just never take to reading manga. Tried it; didn’t really dig it. I prefer anime.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:22 AM   #57
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2013
-
-

I like reading manga but watching anime is ten times more enjoyable for me. In general, I'll only read manga if a series leaves out a bunch of material (InuYasha/Bleach TYBW) or if a series is unlikely to get ever animated (Black Torch).

I recently began reading InuYasha beginning with Volume 37, where the original series ended, because The Final Act was so rushed and left out so much great material. I read the first 36 volumes as a kid and decided to finish it off nearly a decade later. Many of my issues with The Final Act were resolved when I read the manga. Animating nearly 20 volumes of content in 26 episodes was not a good idea, it needed 50 at least.

Black Torch I came across a few weeks ago and instantly fell in love with it. I've been struggling to get into any new anime or manga, none of them have caught my interest in the slightest. Of course, it was cancelled after 5 volumes due to bad sales in Japan. Pretty much sums up why I have a difficult time getting into new series and don't foresee that changing anytime soon. They simply don't make series like Bleach, Naruto, InuYasha, Yu Yu Hakusho, Kenshin, etc... anymore. The days of enjoyable long running shonen seem to be behind us. MHA, Black Clover, Boruto, just can't live up to what came before.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:16 AM   #58
Special Member

Feb 2015
Utah

Quote:
I recently began reading InuYasha beginning with Volume 37, where the original series ended, because The Final Act was so rushed and left out so much great material. Many of my issues with The Final Act were resolved when I read the manga. Animating nearly 20 volumes of content in 26 episodes was not a good idea, it needed 50 at least.
I have yet to see The Final Act, even after spending my entire summer vacation of 2011 watching all of the original InuYasha series and movies. I just keep not getting to it. I didn’t even realize that it was meant to cover ~20 volumes of manga; that is insane!! They should have done the 51/52 episode season (FMA, Black Cover) route just to make sure they get it right, and end the series the way it should. Besides, the original series was a long-running one. One more long season with newer animation and a solid ending would not have been far-fetched, as those watching The Final Act would generally be those that watched the original and are fine with it being longer.

Quote:
They simply don't make series like Bleach, Naruto, InuYasha, Yu Yu Hakusho, Kenshin, etc... anymore. The days of enjoyable long running shonen seem to be behind us. MHA, Black Clover, Boruto, just can't live up to what came before.
That’s where I disagree with you. If a manga has more than 10-12 volumes, it is an immediate pass for me. I don’t have the time or willpower to read 20-60 books of the same content. If it’s more than 25-30 volumes, it is way too long and should not even exist period imo. There should be a forseeable stopping point for any given series when it begins, it just means the story needs to be paced better. One Piece is ridiculous in that length regard.

I LOVE my one-shot yaoi manga and short 2-6 volume shojou series. I wont even read Tokyo Ghoul, Blue Exorcist, or My Hero Academia because I know if I did I would be in it for the LONG long haul. The only long-running ongoing manga I am considering (though still have not committed to) reading is Haikyuu!!, simply because it just doesn’t seem like there will be too much more animated, if at all. (Where is my season 4???!!!!) I am way too invested in literally every single character. (I have 16 of 17 life size character tapestries and am still searching for the last one. $90-150 each, as tall as nearly 7 feet per one. Plus I have every single nendoroid among other figures and merch.) I need to know what happens to my sons and husbandos. But even with that one, I am still putting off reading it because it’s already at around the 25 volume mark and that is excruciatingly long for me, plus it is still going. A part of me thinks “Do I really have to know what happens to them? Is it that important? I can always come up with my own ending based on the information I got from the anime.”
Old 02-20-2019, 06:30 AM   #59
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

My favourite manga of all time Berserk is at 40vols and still going after 30yrs of publication. Just coz it's long doesn't mean it's any lesser in quality.
Thanks given by:
Nostalgic Twilight (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:54 PM   #60

Aug 2018
Canada, Ontario

Quote:
If nothing else, it's good we got the Soul Society arc because that is everyone's favorite.
It's bitter sweet for us Bleach fans haha. It's great to get the best Arc on Bluray, but still sucks not having the series complete. There was supposed to be 13 Bluray Sets in all.

Quote:
The Bount arc was boring and the Zanpakuto Rebellion arc was outright stupid.

But the Captain Amagai arc was actually really good.
I'm the minority in this, but I actually enjoyed the Bount Arc. The main reasoning for this is because it didn't cut in the middle of a battle like some fillers and it progressed the story in a nice way by giving other less popular characters more screen time. I also liked the placement of this Arc since gave the "bad guys" (to avoid spoilers haha) time to prepare.

The 2nd filler, "Captain Amagai"....I didn't like how it cut into the story, but I also agree that it was an awesome filler and my favorite filler out of all of them. It just worked well with the series and gave more depth to the Soul Society.

The Zanpakuto Rebllion Filler was as you mentioned....stupid haha. I watched it but it dragged one for way too long and I found the idea of it just lame. Really didn't enjoy it and I won't watch it again.

I think there was another Filler right? Gotei something? I never got that far though haha.

Last edited by Yuukaa_Sa; 02-20-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime