Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The King of Braves GaoGaiGar: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$67.81
1 day ago
Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Attack on Titan: The Final Season - Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation - Season 1, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$37.49

The Demon Girl Next Door 2: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Inu-Oh (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Dragon Ball Z: Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan / Broly - Second Coming / Bio-Broly (Blu-ray)
$16.83

GATE: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99

Tetsujin 28 FX: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$46.39
1 day ago
Lupin the 3rd Part I: The Classic Adventures (Blu-ray)
$45.50

Record of Ragnarok: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

City Hunter: Movie & TV Special Collection (Blu-ray)
$46.39
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 11-26-2022, 03:21 PM   #961
Special Member

Jun 2017

It's been several years now. Are we allowed to talk about how the series ends?
Old 11-26-2022, 03:30 PM   #962
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

Not everyone has read the manga that far, like myself. Everything in this arc is new to me.
Thanks given by:
gloomranger (11-26-2022), Kid Boruto (11-26-2022)
Old 11-26-2022, 04:22 PM   #963

May 2017
Durham, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangaranga View Post
Some comparisons of the newly released JP BD of Bleach vs the US BD

JP BD is 1080i30, whereas the US BD is 1080p24. Interestingly it looks like the Japanese BD may have potentially been upscaled from a broadcast master, as the opening for episode 1 at least, is unfinished. Regardless, it's a massive improvement over Viz's in house upscale which literally looks like they just upscaled their own DVDs, with DVD era compression artifacts, banding, egregious sharpening and weird horizontal lines. As usual they also encoded it in the wrong colour space, but even after converting it to BT.709 there's still some colour discrepancies. For some reason Viz left in the empty sponsor cards for their release, so a simple audio/subtitle mux between the two sources isn't possible.
Thanks for the screencaps. The JP BD still has something of a "vaseline" look to it IMO but it is much less offensive than the US BD. I'd be interested in seeing how it holds up against the JP DVD.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:48 PM   #964

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footlong Shoe View Post
Thanks for the screencaps. The JP BD still has something of a "vaseline" look to it IMO but it is much less offensive than the US BD. I'd be interested in seeing how it holds up against the JP DVD.
FWIW the Japanese DVD rips look better than both. The opening in episode 1 also matches between the JP BD and DVD releases, so it's upscaled from their DVD master.
Thanks given by:
Footlong Shoe (11-26-2022)
Old 11-27-2022, 12:00 AM   #965
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagpo View Post
It's been several years now. Are we allowed to talk about how the series ends?
I've been using spoiler tags just in case. Typically I'd say yeah it's been forever since it ended but there's a lot of anime only fans who are experiencing the arc for the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloomranger View Post
The dub has been real solid despite recastings. A lot of good performances from regulars and newcomers alike. I’m excited to see how Neil Kaplan, Dan Woren, and Johnny Yong Bosch handle the next few episodes.
Dan Woren sounded great in episode 4. He's one of the VAs who I've noticed sounds like there wasn't a gap in between recording the series. His voice sounds almost unchanged. JYB and Wally Wingert sound a little different here and there.
Old 11-27-2022, 04:01 AM   #966

Apr 2019
Sacramento, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmint View Post
I'm surprised not alot of people here are commenting on the bleach dub?
I'm waiting until all 4 arcs/cours have been released dubbed on Hulu, so I can binge the entire sequel series in one go.
Old 12-02-2022, 04:16 PM   #967
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2013
-
-

Looks like David Lodge won't be back as Kenpachi:

https://twitter.com/DavidLodgeVOPro/...19735628414976

Incredibly disappointing. VIZ is dropping the ball with this dub big time.
Thanks given by:
Ambimunch (12-11-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 05:23 PM   #968
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.

^
Patrick Seitz took over the role of Kenpachi Zaraki from episode 244 and on. It’ll be interesting to see if Seitz returns or if the role will be recast once again.
Thanks given by:
Kid Boruto (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 11:35 PM   #969
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2013
-
-

As Nodt's dub voice. VIZ can't be bothered crediting the voice actor in the description of course.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:27 PM   #970

Aug 2014

It's not surprising David Lodge didn't come back. He was recast on the original run, so it's not an issue of "this guy's unavailable." Lodge probably wasn't even considered; to the Studiopolis internal staff, Seitz is just Kenpachi now. It's hard to ignore how good Lodge is, so during the original show it was super jarring to hear Seitz, but isolated just to TYBW Episode 5, Seitz was fine. The cheap approach to dubbing Bleach has always bothered me in regards to casting, as you have too many people who sound the same playing characters who interact too closely with one another. Seitz is most likely coming back for Isshin and he's not a guy who switches up his performances too drastically; you can always tell it's him. Other thoughts:

-Liam O'Brien, for one line of "Ichigo...!" is back as Ukitake. I honestly expected him not to come back(if it's not him, it sounds big time like him). That was cool.
-I can't tell who the new Shinji voice is, and I'm almost certain that's not Kate Higgins as Unohana in episode 4. We'll have to wait for credits.
-Meninas and Bambietta have the same actress, which to me is the same issue as the Zaraki/Isshin thing I mentioned earlier.
[Show spoiler]I mean, I guess Bambietta dies early, so it's not that big of an issue. I just wish this show had a wider net of actors.

-As Nodt was fine. I'm not gonna get worked up that it wasn't like the Japanese version.
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (12-04-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 02:39 AM   #971
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Video B View Post
It's not surprising David Lodge didn't come back. He was recast on the original run, so it's not an issue of "this guy's unavailable." Lodge probably wasn't even considered; to the Studiopolis internal staff, Seitz is just Kenpachi now. It's hard to ignore how good Lodge is, so during the original show it was super jarring to hear Seitz, but isolated just to TYBW Episode 5, Seitz was fine. The cheap approach to dubbing Bleach has always bothered me in regards to casting, as you have too many people who sound the same playing characters who interact too closely with one another. Seitz is most likely coming back for Isshin and he's not a guy who switches up his performances too drastically; you can always tell it's him. Other thoughts:

-Liam O'Brien, for one line of "Ichigo...!" is back as Ukitake. I honestly expected him not to come back(if it's not him, it sounds big time like him). That was cool.
-I can't tell who the new Shinji voice is, and I'm almost certain that's not Kate Higgins as Unohana in episode 4. We'll have to wait for credits.
-Meninas and Bambietta have the same actress, which to me is the same issue as the Zaraki/Isshin thing I mentioned earlier.
[Show spoiler]I mean, I guess Bambietta dies early, so it's not that big of an issue. I just wish this show had a wider net of actors.

-As Nodt was fine. I'm not gonna get worked up that it wasn't like the Japanese version.
As much as I prefer David Lodge as Kenpachi, I don't hate Seitz as him either. He sounds fine. I just figured VIZ would've tried to give fans what they obviously wanted and gone the extra mile to get David back.

I've seen people say that Shinji might be Aleks Le now. I'm pretty positive that is Kate Higgins as Unohana, she's listed as being the voice on BTVA too. Not officially confirmed but I'm almost certain it is her. Her voice is very memorable after all the times that I've heard her as Sakura and C2.
Old 12-05-2022, 04:24 AM   #972
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2014
Atlanta GA

I’ve always wondered why Viz always went cheaper and non-union with Bleach’s dub, unlike Naruto, which has always been union from day 1 (save that Chibi Rock Lee spin-off that saw most returning characters recast). Both shows are extremely popular as far as I can tell. Sailor Moon’s non-union dub was another head scratcher, and why it sounded like such a bland, basic anime dub without a wide range of talent (as good as the actors were). It didn’t switch to union until Netflix dubbed the Eternal movies. We waited years for a new dub and Viz went the cheap route.
Thanks given by:
Gowho (12-05-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 01:15 AM   #973

Aug 2014

According to Footlong Shoe, the first two films are in native HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footlong Shoe View Post
Bleach: Fade to Black - Viz 2011 Standalone vs. Viz 2022 4-Pack

I only compared Fade to Black because it's the only one of these movies I've already seen, but hopefully what is true here is also true for Hell Verse. I also skimmed through Memories of Nobody to make sure Viz didn't do some kind of upscale for the first two movies, and it appears to be native HD.

Comparison here

2011 Standalone

2022 4-Pack

The bitrate is lower on the new disc (which, if you're out of the loop, has two movies on it) but there seems to be no discernable loss of detail. In fact, the old Blu-ray seems more flawed than the new one. Particularly, the 2011 disc seems to be horizontally squished, leaving some blank space on the left side, and there is visible haloing at the edges of the frame. The 2022 disc is at full horizontal resolution and has no such haloing.

Given that the first two movies are finally in HD, and assuming Hell Verse is as presentable as Fade to Black is here, this collection is the best way to collect these movies in English.
Old 12-12-2022, 03:46 PM   #974
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.

https://twitter.com/vizmedia/status/...tAZ6cX9zM0_wdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viz Media
Looking back on all that has happened so far in BLEACH: Thousand-Year Blood War!

#BLEACHTYBW Part 1 Finale (Episodes 12 & 13) premieres on 12/26.

Last edited by gloomranger; 12-15-2022 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-12-2022, 09:58 PM   #975

May 2017
Durham, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Video B View Post
According to Footlong Shoe, the first two films are in native HD.
This was my quick and dirty assessment upon skimming them, but after Mangaranga's input I can't confidently stand by that. I edited my post in the Video Quality thread to reflect this and I should do the same to my post here.
Old 12-17-2022, 01:14 PM   #976
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.

https://twitter.com/vizmedia/status/...vGPu8Ql4js5Wzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viz Media
New BLEACH: Thousand-Year Blood War Key Visual!

Part 1 Finale (Episodes 12 & 13) premieres on 12/26. #BLEACHTYBW
Old 12-17-2022, 06:21 PM   #977
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2013
-
-

I was expecting this material to be adapted for the start of Part 2 next year. They're going through the manga very fast. It makes me think we'll be seeing a decent amount of new anime only material the further we get into the arc.
Old 12-20-2022, 05:07 AM   #978
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.

BLEACH in 150 seconds: The Soul Society | Looking Back 2 | VIZ

BLEACH in 150 seconds: The Arrancar | Looking Back 3 | VIZ
Old 12-20-2022, 05:59 PM   #979
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2013
-
-

Has it been announced anywhere if the Japanese TYBW Blu-ray set will have English subtitles or not?
Old 12-20-2022, 07:44 PM   #980
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
Has it been announced anywhere if the Japanese TYBW Blu-ray set will have English subtitles or not?
Doesnt appear so.

Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War Blu-ray & DVD Box Set

Release date: April 26, 2023

Quote:
https://bleach-anime.com/bddvd/

Full production limited edition benefits:
  • Three-way back case + digital jacket specification
  • Drawing grater jacket illustration
  • Bonus booklet included

PREORDER:
- https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0BLVCK6BW (BD LE)
- https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0BLVD9FTM Amazon JP (BD LE)
- https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0BLVC13F9 (DVD LE)
- https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0BLVDVPZ4 Amazon JP (DVD LE)
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (12-20-2022)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime