Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Attack on Titan: The Final Season - Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The King of Braves GaoGaiGar: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$67.81

Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon - Season 2, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

The Demon Girl Next Door 2: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Inu-Oh (Blu-ray)
$18.35
1 day ago
Redo of Healer: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$36.68

Attack on Titan: The Final Season - Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Fate/Stay Night: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Blue Thermal (Blu-ray)
$21.99
1 day ago
Record of Ragnarok: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation - Season 1, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$39.50

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 08-14-2018, 02:33 AM   #21
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2012
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dailyan View Post
Discotek is easily one of the best in treating vintage anime stateside. Those Otakon announcements have me pumped.
While I really like what Discotek is doing, it has to be said that the video quality on many of their releases is lacking. Compare the two seasons of Haruka Nogizaka, for example; the first is horrible, while the second is pretty decent.

They use just one disc for 12-13 episodes, but that's not the problem, as Sentai has done MUCH better work with an entire cour on a single disc. It's not a given that it's all Discotek's fault either, or their fault at all, but it's important to note that some of their releases are just really poor.

Last edited by Naiera; 08-14-2018 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Toning down some language that seems to have offended folks
Thanks given by:
Dailyan (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 02:37 AM   #22
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2017

The video quality fluctuates by release. Their handling of older, cel based, 16/35mm film based content is pretty much always superb, but their handling of newer series is mixed.

Again, some are due to bad masters, or poor upscaling, or the nature by which it was produced. While Justin is a great compressionist, he can't turn crap into gold. But then again, early to mid 2000s shows often look horrible on BD due to the very nature of them being SD Digital with poor upscaling.
Thanks given by:
Dailyan (08-14-2018), Naiera (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 02:59 AM   #23
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2015
Beyond the Blue Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
While I really like what Discotek is doing, it has to be said that the video quality on many of their releases is horribly lacking, though. Compare the two seasons of Haruka Nogizaka, for example; the first is horrible, while the second is pretty decent.

They use just one disc for 12-13 episodes, but that's not the problem, as Sentai has done MUCH better work with an entire cour on a single disc. It's not a given that it's all Discotek's fault either, or their fault at all, but it's important to note that some of their releases are just really poor.
Their SD upscales, especially for digipaint shows, are pretty underwhelming. Heck, ďAngel CopĒ is pretty meh but at least that got a re-release. Iíll be curious how Galaxy Express 999 turns out.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:03 AM   #24
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2012
Denmark

I'm sure someone screwed up, or just plain screwed them, on those Nogizaka masters.
Thanks given by:
Dailyan (08-14-2018), professorwho (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 03:37 AM   #25
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2017

I don't know how I forgot this, but- MONSTER. Naoki Urasawa. SD BD (as it's SD masters- unless they can do a good upscale).

Those plebs at VIZ don't deserve half their licenses, and it's a damn shame we don't have a high quality release of the series (the AU release, while fine, isn't of top quality), so it's up to Discotek to save their works.
Thanks given by:
Clark Kent (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 04:47 AM   #26
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
I don't know how I forgot this, but- MONSTER. Naoki Urasawa. SD BD (as it's SD masters- unless they can do a good upscale).

Those plebs at VIZ don't deserve half their licenses, and it's a damn shame we don't have a high quality release of the series (the AU release, while fine, isn't of top quality), so it's up to Discotek to save their works.
Well most Viz titles are not like Sailor Moon. Like Ranma, Bleach and Hunter x Hunter look great. Though Sailor Moon has improved a little bit. Though releasing them so slowly is another matter.

Though if Viz is not interested in Monster, Maison Ikkoku, Full Moon o Sagashite, and others they no longer care about, I say go for it Discotek.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:57 AM   #27
Special Member

Apr 2010

I can't stand SD-BD, or their 4:3 cropped to 16:9 releases. I wish I took a picture, but I was at my local FYE and saw a Discotek release that proudly stated at the top: "Standard Definition on One Blu Ray Disc."

Barf.

But Street Fighter II Movie BD is legit.

Also but, why come no Orguss on BD?

Also also, Viz dropped the ball on a bunch of titles, but I don't want to see Ikkoku on SD-BD. The blu rays exist, go do it correctly.

Last edited by Gouki; 08-14-2018 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Dig at Viz.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:03 AM   #28

May 2018
Columbus, OH

My biggest complaint about Viz is how slow they release stuff. They have such a large catalog of things licensed, but they only seem to put out 1 Blu-Ray release per month on average.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:10 AM   #29
Special Member

Aug 2013
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouki View Post
I wish I took a picture, but I was at my local FYE and saw a Discotek release that proudly stated at the top: "Standard Definition on One Blu Ray Disc."

Barf.
Popular opinion is that it's better than a DVD (from a technical standpoint alone that's objectively correct), it's also much cheaper to buy. They don't do it if there are good (non-upscale) HD materials available where the title would have been a DVD anyway , not sure how that's a strike against the company.

Quote:
Also also, Viz dropped the ball on a bunch of titles, but I don't want to see Ikkoku on SD-BD. The blu rays exist, go do it correctly.
See above. If Discotek got Ikkoku, unless the licence holder refused to hand over the materials, it would be an HD release.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:15 AM   #30
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015
USA

If Discotek were to license Ikkoku, I think the chances of them even considering doing a SD-BD release would be less than 1%, given there are HD materials available, like you mentioned, Gouki. Heck, if they pursued the KOR HD masters without there even being a disc release (which likely cost them a small fortune), I'm positive they'd fight tooth and nail for Ikkoku.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:18 AM   #31
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2011
Alabama

I prefer SD BD for digipaint titles. No upscaling, no DVD artifacts and compression. IMO it's the way those shows should be seen tbh.
Thanks given by:
Girls With Guns (08-16-2018), professorwho (08-15-2018), SirYodaJedi (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 05:34 AM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2013
Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevers7290 View Post
You know what would be a cool, out of left field announcement? Lensman--I don't think that's had a legitimate release since the laserdisc.

Also, Wicked City and Demon City Shinjuku on BD are no-brainers.
Another out of left field one, "The Enemy's the Pirates!: The Cats' Banquet", way too obscure but man do I love it. One of the best OP's too.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:09 AM   #33
Special Member

Apr 2010

Quote:
I can't stand SD-BD, or their 4:3 cropped to 16:9 releases. I wish I took a picture, but I was at my local FYE and saw a Discotek release that proudly stated at the top: "Standard Definition on One Blu Ray Disc."

Barf.
SDBD is literally the best thing to happen to Digitally animated Standard-Def Anime. Why pay for an expensive (and usually unsatisfying) upscale when it doesn't actually matter?

DVD compression blows and has always been bad.

Tell 'em Discotek graphic

Thanks given by:
BigManDeath (08-21-2018), Bobo1313 (08-14-2018), CommanderShiro (08-16-2018), Hawkmonger (08-23-2018), IdeaOfEvil (08-14-2018), Kyle15 (08-14-2018), MattmanAlpha (08-14-2018), Nostalgic Twilight (08-14-2018), professorwho (08-14-2018), SirYodaJedi (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 07:40 AM   #34
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2007
California

Now if only they can advertise that under spellcheck.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:11 AM   #35

Nov 2017
Poland

I see a good propositions from you. I want also:

The Cockpit
Queen Millennia
Queen Emeraldas
Fire Force DNAsights 999.9
Space Battleship Yamato (original)
Maetel Legend
Space Symphony Maetel
Gasaraki
Flag
Astro Boy
Old 08-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #36
Power Member

Nov 2010
SF/Berkeley

The OP should definitely tally people's wish list in the first post in case any peering Disco-eyes look in this thread, lol

Here's mine (stuff they have the license for already on dvd is bold/underlined):

UFO Robo Grendizer
Darkstalkers OVA on bluray
Blood+
Dangaioh OVA
Mazinger on sd/bd
Great Mazinger sd/bd

Highlander Search for Vengeance (uncut Japanese version would be nice)
Bastard!!
Monster

(and the "not-going-to-happen-but-sure-why-not-ask-pile):
Evangelion tv and movies bluray
Gunbuster OVA bluray
Anything Macross bluray
Vampire Hunter D original dub bluray
Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust Japanese dub bluray
Lensman bluray
Dragon Knight bluray
Daft Punk Inter5tella 555 bluray

Last edited by IdeaOfEvil; 08-14-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:51 AM   #37
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2013
Netherlands

I want affordable Astro Boy 1980, Tekkaman Blade and Green Jacket Lupin Blu-rays. The HD remasters of the latter two suffer from frozen film grain, but I think that can be mitigated with a grain plate to a certain degree.

Since they have also dabbled in American cartoons, I would also like to see an SD-BD of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003 series.

I've sorta given up hope on Macross Blu-rays, though an Australian release is perhaps possible. Ordered Macross Plus Italian Blu-ray yesterday.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #38
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2013
-
-

Discotek is my only hope for Mermaid Forest to get any sort of a re-release, so that's my immediate dream release from them. I'd love to get all 13 episodes in one set and put my Geneon singles in the closet. Bakuman would be second in line.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #39
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2012
Denmark

Bakuman and Touch, please.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:06 PM   #40
Power Member

Jul 2015
England, United Kingdom

While I have yet to pick up a Discotek release I do appreciate the effort done to releasing them especially with the Blu-ray titles.

Since we have some folks posting wish-lists I'll do the same here:

(Note: I don't know exactly if these titles are still under another distributor's helm but hey it's a wish list so anything can happen)

[Show spoiler]-- J.C.Staff --
Bakuman.
Honey and Clover
Karin
Nodame Cantabile
Witch Craft Works

-- Madhouse --
Ace of Diamond
Aoi Bungaku Series
Hajime no Ippo
Kaiji
Kemonozume
Master Keaton
Monster
Nana
Paranoia Agent
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin
Strawberry 100%
Yawara!

-- Production I.G --
Blade of the Immortal
Blood+
Kuroko's Basketball

-- Various Studios --
Ashita no Joe (the OVA series)
Berserk (1997 series)
Cross Game
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (the OVA series)
Maison Ikkoku
Major
Mermaid Forest
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Slam Dunk
Super Dimensional Fortress Macross
Urusei Yatsura
Thanks given by:
professorwho (08-14-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Tags