Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The King of Braves GaoGaiGar: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$67.81
1 day ago
Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Attack on Titan: The Final Season - Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation - Season 1, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$37.49

The Demon Girl Next Door 2: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations: Set 14 (Blu-ray)
$31.51
1 hr ago
Dragon Ball Z: Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan / Broly - Second Coming / Bio-Broly (Blu-ray)
$16.83

Inu-Oh (Blu-ray)
$19.96

GATE: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99

Record of Ragnarok: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Tetsujin 28 FX: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$46.39
1 day ago
Lupin the 3rd Part I: The Classic Adventures (Blu-ray)
$45.50

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 10-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011
Default One Piece (Blu-ray/DVD)

I checked all nine pages and only found bits and pieces of One Piece questions/threads but nothing official as far as an ongoing discussion on this forum. So, this should cover it.

This show has reached over 900 episodes so it will for sure go over 1000+ episodes without a doubt and that's gonna make for a very long collection of One Piece. I'm a Dragon Ball fan and even I can't imagine buying a series with that amount of episodes.

Home Releases

U.S. - FUNimation
Available: Episodes 0001-0563 (Collection 01-23) (DVD)

U.K. - Manga Entertainment
Available: Episodes 0001-0491 (Collection 01-20) (DVD)

Spain - Selecta Visión
Available: Movies Only (Blu-ray/DVD), Episodes 0001-0263 were dubbed in Castillan to be broadcast on TV but the rest remains unknown when it'll continue, or if it'll be released on DVD.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:39 PM   #2

Sep 2015
Ireland

I'm a Dragon Ball fan too, but I make an exception for it because it's that one series that has played a huge part in my upbringing and keeps my interest to this day.

One Piece is great too but I personally only own the three movies Manga UK has released on Blu-Ray. I'd like to start collecting the series but I don't know if I want to commit all that money and shelf space when I can't rationalize it as the definitive release. I don't mean to sound entitled, but it's 2019 as many shows and movies as possible should be on Blu-Ray.

Hopefully Selecta Vision's upcoming OG Dragon Ball boxes will be good and sell well enough that they or other companies can start demanding TOEI for better masters of One Piece.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:42 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLibrarian View Post
I'm a Dragon Ball fan too, but I make an exception for it because it's that one series that has played a huge part in my upbringing and keeps my interest to this day.

One Piece is great too but I personally only own the three movies Manga UK has released on Blu-Ray. I'd like to start collecting the series but I don't know if I want to commit all that money and shelf space when I can't rationalize it as the definitive release. I don't mean to sound entitled, but it's 2019 as many shows and movies as possible should be on Blu-Ray.

Hopefully Selecta Vision's upcoming OG Dragon Ball boxes will be good and sell well enough that they or other companies can start demanding TOEI for better masters of One Piece.
The early episodes of One Piece have been remastered in HD but cropped to 16:9 while the original aspect ratio was 4:3.

It'll be interesting to see if TOEI, FUNimation or some other distributor commits to releasing a massive boxset like, Box 1 with 0001-0500 / Box 2 with 0501-1000 and so on.

This will for sure not be cheap either way, but worth it for the experience? I'd say so.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:30 PM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2013
-
-

What is going on with the One Piece DVD releases from Funimation? I was reading around FandomPost that they haven't released any new episodes in a while.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:15 PM   #5

Jul 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
What is going on with the One Piece DVD releases from Funimation? I was reading around FandomPost that they haven't released any new episodes in a while.
I believe they took a break from dubbing episodes in order to focus more on the specials and movies this year.
Thanks given by:
sagadego (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 05:55 PM   #6

Jun 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerman29 View Post
I believe they took a break from dubbing episodes in order to focus more on the specials and movies this year.
wish they get the older films as well
Old 10-10-2019, 11:28 AM   #7

Jul 2016

Idk if its Funimations encoding or the masters they were given but damn do the One Peace DVDs look awful.(At lest the first one) I'd definitely would like a better release.
[Show spoiler]
The images are little streched but other than that it looks exactly like this.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumi View Post
Idk if its Funimations encoding or the masters they were given but damn do the One Peace DVDs look awful.(At lest the first one) I'd definitely would like a better release.
[Show spoiler]
The images are little streched but other than that it looks exactly like this.

Out of curiosity, how many volumes have you bought so far? All currently available?

Oh, I forgot that in U.S. (and Australia, iirc) 4Kids released their censored version of One Piece. Yeah, it was pretty mediocre but the rap song was really catchy.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:51 AM   #9

May 2017
Durham, NC

I'm pretty confident the early episodes just look bad universally. Even the HD re-broadcast shows some of the flaws seen here, particularly it looks jagged every time something moves.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:55 AM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footlong Shoe View Post
I'm pretty confident the early episodes just look bad universally. Even the HD re-broadcast shows some of the flaws seen here, particularly it looks jagged every time something moves.
One of the earliest entirely digitally composited shows (1999) in standard definition? Yeah, unless Toei kept all the original files (which they didn't), it'll always look poor.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #11

Jul 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
Out of curiosity, how many volumes have you bought so far? All currently available?

Oh, I forgot that in U.S. (and Australia, iirc) 4Kids released their censored version of One Piece. Yeah, it was pretty mediocre but the rap song was really catchy.
Just the one. Was watching this and was put off by just how... badly it looked. Its worse in motion. Im not a videophile or well I dont have eye for it but man this was an assault to the eyes. I would hope the later episodes are of much better quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
One of the earliest entirely digitally composited shows (1999) in standard definition? Yeah, unless Toei kept all the original files (which they didn't), it'll always look poor.
NieA_7 came out a year later and looks way better but that might not be a fair comparison. I guess Toei is gonna Toei.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:21 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

The Japanese DVDs for the earlier episodes are likely of similar quality unfortunately, and One Piece Special Edition is a smeary upscale. Be glad FUNimation released the show in its proper aspect ratios unlike Toei.
Quote:
The season began broadcasting on Fuji Television on June 20, 2004 and ended March 27, 2005, lasting 33 episodes. One Piece began airing in high definition, wide screen format with the premiere of the 207th episode. Despite this, the Japanese DVD release remained in 4:3 fullscreen format until the beginning of the 8th season. The beginning of this season (through to 205) has had an English-language release by Funimation. In October 2011, Funimation announced they had acquired the remaining episodes of this season, along with the entirety of the following season for release as part of their own US "Season Four". The press release stated that the episodes would be featured in 16:9 widescreen starting with episode 207 as had been originally broadcast. The press release also mentioned that the episodes would be released in "HD" hinting at a possible Blu-ray release, but made no direct mention of the high definition disc format.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Piece_(season_7)
Old 10-12-2019, 01:13 AM   #13

Jul 2016

Toei + Funimation = Be glad it even came out ༼;´༎ຶ ۝ ༎ຶ༽
Old 10-12-2019, 01:21 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011

Kana (French distributor) actually released a massive boxset (Part 1) of the series on DVD.

Source: https://www.amazon.fr/One-Piece-Part...dp/B00ABLYLKS/

This sure looks cool but we'll see who actually ends up releasing every episode either on DVD or Blu-ray.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:07 AM   #15

May 2013

I'm guessing the French will get every ep out. The US hasn't even made it to Punk Hazard while (looking at amazon) the french release is almost finished with Whole Cake Island
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffy View Post
I'm guessing the French will get every ep out. The US hasn't even made it to Punk Hazard while (looking at amazon) the french release is almost finished with Whole Cake Island
That's definitely a possibility. I used to know French before but as I stopped using the language, I eventually forgot about it but still know some of its words (as it has similarities with Portuguese and Spanish after all).

You know, maybe the early episodes look better on the Kana release than FUNimation. And if it's 576p than 576i then that's even better (may be an upscale but it's not interlaced)!
Old 10-12-2019, 01:56 PM   #17

Nov 2011

I'd love it if when FUNi finally cotninues they release the voyages on blu-ray. I own every release and wouldn't mind if they did. I'd also love if they start doing 24 episode box sets(isn't that what they do with fairy tail?) instead of just 13, just because we are so far behind.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:04 PM   #18
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonpiece View Post
I'd love it if when FUNi finally cotninues they release the voyages on blu-ray. I own every release and wouldn't mind if they did. I'd also love if they start doing 24 episode box sets(isn't that what they do with fairy tail?) instead of just 13, just because we are so far behind.
Funimation has Collection releases for One Piece already. But it’s basically 2 Voyage releases per release. But it does become a matter of quitting the Voyage releases for just Collections only or continue to do both
Old 10-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
Funimation has Collection releases for One Piece already. But it’s basically 2 Voyage releases per release. But it does become a matter of quitting the Voyage releases for just Collections only or continue to do both
FUNimation should just stick with the Collection sets and some sort of "Special Edition" sets that would have 100-200 per box. One Piece isn't the type of show that they'll be able to release simply in so many Collection sets, but it can happen.

Anyway, I want to buy OP series to watch on DVD (or BD) but I'm not spending any money till there's something definitive.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:44 PM   #20

Nov 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
FUNimation should just stick with the Collection sets and some sort of "Special Edition" sets that would have 100-200 per box. One Piece isn't the type of show that they'll be able to release simply in so many Collection sets, but it can happen.

Anyway, I want to buy OP series to watch on DVD (or BD) but I'm not spending any money till there's something definitive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
I'm well aware of how FUNi has released this series so far. I own every voyage and movie/tv special. With that said, this hiatus that year has been put the gap between the dub and the Japanese version even further behind when hoenstly we were at a reasonable gap in 2018. At this point, I'm fine either way, I've invested too much to stop buying the series now but a part of me still likes the idea of them giving us 24 episode sets.

And yes, it would be a weird thing to do since they already do these collection sets. IMO, they already changed how the packaging looks in the past for us voyage buyers, so I wouldn't be too upset if they were to do it again if the trade off is getting more episodes in sets. I'd also take finally getting blu-rays dvd combo packs. At the end of the day, this is just me being hopeful and hoping there was a reason for this year long hiatus even they we know voice actors have dubbed punk hazard last year yet we have still not seen it released yet.

And it really is cool to see a one piece thread ont his site, it's my favorite anime/manga series if you can't tell by the fact that I own every release and have double dipped on a few.
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (10-12-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime