Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The King of Braves GaoGaiGar: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$67.81
1 day ago
Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Attack on Titan: The Final Season - Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation - Season 1, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$37.49

The Demon Girl Next Door 2: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Dragon Ball Z: Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan / Broly - Second Coming / Bio-Broly (Blu-ray)
$16.83

Inu-Oh (Blu-ray)
$19.96

GATE: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99

Lupin the 3rd Part I: The Classic Adventures (Blu-ray)
$45.50

Record of Ragnarok: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Tetsujin 28 FX: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$46.39
1 day ago
City Hunter: Movie & TV Special Collection (Blu-ray)
$46.39
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 05-04-2020, 05:43 PM   #41
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOnAnime View Post
Yeah, I remember FUNimation stating the movies did well for them, but that unfortunately didn't translate into them getting more and then later the rights expired, though TMS seemed to have blocked renewals to nearly all their stuff that wasn't held by Discotek, whom they love working with.

I doubt Discotek will take the daunting task of releasing the nearly 1,000+ episodes of the TV series that has absolutely no end in sight, but it'd be nice to see them grab all the movies and specials at least.
I'd be happy with the movies if we can't get more of the TV series. I'd like to watch where Funimation stopped dubbing but I probably won't ever get around to it if it doesn't receive a physical release. Come to think of it, is there any legal way to watch from episode 130 on?
Old 05-04-2020, 07:46 PM   #42
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
Come to think of it, is there any legal way to watch from episode 130 on?
Iím afraid not. I think the only places you can view Case Closed legally right now are either on Crunchyroll and Netflix. Theyíre only streaming recent seasons.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:26 PM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2012
Colorado

I'd definitely love to buy the movies in HD, as they're very fun stand alone movies. I just hope that if they're allowed to license and release the first six movies they'll come with the option of the original dub, as the original cast did do a great job with the show (and especially the movies).

Last edited by CrazyBlu-RayFan; 05-05-2020 at 01:11 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:13 AM   #44
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloomranger View Post
Iím afraid not. I think the only places you can view Case Closed legally right now are either on Crunchyroll and Netflix. Theyíre only streaming recent seasons.
And they started with Episode 754. Note that for some unknown reason, CR is no longer streaming episodes 754-805. This happened sometime around October.
https://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtop...54-805-missing
Old 05-05-2020, 01:39 AM   #45
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2013
-
-

Discotek posted a dub trailer for Episode One on Facebook along with this:

"This will be under the Case Closed name due to certain circumstances. We will have more Conan movies coming soon and to be announced later!"
Thanks given by:
disneywildcat (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 01:51 AM   #46
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
AZ, USA

Quote:
I'd be happy with the movies if we can't get more of the TV series. I'd like to watch where Funimation stopped dubbing but I probably won't ever get around to it if it doesn't receive a physical release. Come to think of it, is there any legal way to watch from episode 130 on?
Other than Episode ONE: The Great Detective Turned Small, only two other recent Detective Conan movies, The Crimson Love Letter (shown at CharaExpo 2019) and Zero the Enforcer (shown at Anime Expo 2019), have been dubbed for TMS by Bang Zoom Entertainment. I suspect that we will definitely see those two films released eventually. Not sure if TMS would then have Bang Zoom dub films 7 through 20. TMS may choose to focus on the most recent film releases.

This year's Detective Conan film has been delayed in Japan due to COVID-19.
I would love to see it dubbed
[Show spoiler]as it involves the Sera/Akai family
. Though the Detective Conan films aren't exactly canon, they do tend to hint future plot developments in recent years that later appears in the manga and TV series.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:44 AM   #47
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2012
Colorado

Quote:
Discotek posted a dub trailer for Episode One on Facebook along with this:

"This will be under the Case Closed name due to certain circumstances. We will have more Conan movies coming soon and to be announced later!"
I believe these same circumstances is why the name originally changed at Funimation; some believe it's because of name rights of the Conan the Barbarian series.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:03 PM   #48
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
AZ, USA

Amazon pre-orders for Detective Conan (Case Closed) Episode One are live.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0884JWPD3

Pre-orders are also available on Right Stuf Anime.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:51 PM   #49
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2018

From what I heard, the issue with the Detective Conan/Case Closed episodes and movies TMS licenced to Funimation is that Funi created the dubs and possess the elements. TMS typically owns any foreign language translations produced for their properties after a certain period of time, including dubs created by defunct entities (the Streamline dubs for Golgo 13 and Castle of Cagliostro as examples). As Funimation is still active and a bigger entity than the smaller dubbing companies TMS also farms out to, that would create legal headaches if TMS wanted to reduce costs and use Funi's materials for different US licencors other than them.

In this instance, it makes sense for TMS to contract out new English dubs, even for material that was previously dubbed, so they would have more control over them and make it easier for licencors to obtain the properties. Lupin III: Dead or Alive and Lupin III: Farewell to Nostradamus are in the same boat as Case Closed, were Funi dubbed and previously released them while TMS has everything else but that. If Discotek is still on their Lupin streak and are able to get the two Lupin titles, they would have put them out subbed only or wait for TMS to produce new English dubs if they didn't already.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:22 AM   #50
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2013
-
-

That's interesting. So then the Funimation dubbed episodes could possibly never again be re-released by another company?
Old 05-07-2020, 04:06 AM   #51
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2018

Think about it, since TMS is having Bang Zoom (who aren't as big or controlling as Funimation) doing new English dubs for the movies (including the 10 or so that Funi had previously dubbed) and might go forward with a new dub for the series as well, then it's probably true Funi's questionable rights to their translations are the reason why TMS hasn't made titles previously licenced to them available to other labels even with or without Funi's dubs. Like I said if someone like Discotek were to go after the other TMS properties Funi had (and provided they could get the two Lupin movies Funi released) they'd have to do a sub only release which would be risky sales wise, or contract a new English dub which may make or break depending on costs and how well it's done.

Unless Funimation expresses interest in licencing the series from TMS, which is very unlikely at this point due to Funi focusing on recent and more popular series than Conan/Case Closed, i'd say probably not.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:09 AM   #52
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBlackKnight View Post
Think about it, since TMS is having Bang Zoom (who aren't as big or controlling as Funimation) doing new English dubs for the movies (including the 10 or so that Funi had previously dubbed) and might go forward with a new dub for the series as well, then it's probably true Funi's questionable rights to their translations are the reason why TMS hasn't made titles previously licenced to them available to other labels, even with or without Funi's dubs.

Unless Funimation expresses interest in licencing the series from TMS, which is very unlikely at this point due to Funi focusing on recent and more popular series than Conan/Case Closed, i'd say probably not.
Wait they'll be redubbing the 6 films that Funimation released? I didn't hear anything like that get confirmed yet. I assumed they'd continue doing the latest movies and specials.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:11 AM   #53
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2018

It's just the latest ones that got announced, but since Discotek's Facebook said more are coming, I wouldn't be surprised if TMS did have Bang Zoom dub the stuff Funi did to get everything this series spanned out in a test trial.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:23 AM   #54

Feb 2013

Funimation no longer has the licensing rights for the 8 Lupin III TV specials and 2 movies they once licensed. Thus those dubs reverted back to TMS didn't they? Discotek who has re-licensed some of those titles (and hopefully all of them eventually) is able to include the Funimation dub e.g. Voyage to Danger, Island of Assassins and the upcoming Dragon of Doom

Doesn't seem that complicated even though Funimation as a company is still active. Just because they originally made the dub shouldn't mean they have indefinite ownership if they don't have the license anymore to personally profit from it's legal use anymore.

Funimation also doesn't own any of the rights for Case Closed either anymore (123 TV episodes and the 6 movies) right?

So doesn't TMS now own these dubs too?

It's clear TMS wants an uncut and faithful adaptation of the franchise with this second chance. Original character names, no Americanization, etc

So if those Funimation dubs for Case Closed are never included in re-releases from Discotek (in the distant future) I doubt it has anything to do with legal tape or cost.

Discotek being a passionate and thorough company that prides itself in giving fans a definitive release might include the Funimation dub anyway (it still has fans and it still appeals to new customers who are too fussy to read subtitles)

Assuming the TV series is too long and expensive for TMS to pay for a new dub, the hypothetical re-release might be a situation where there's a sub-only collection and dub-only collection as Funimation foolishly edited the original 123 episodes into 130 episodes due to splitting several hour long episodes apart; so there probably are syncing issues from having both versions on the same disc as originally intended complete episode counts.

Unless TMS wants to be jerks (which is possible) and deny Discotek from including the Funimation dub (even if there's no new uncut alternate) I don't see why it won't be available again; even with its flaws.

For example The Fuma Conspiracy dub of Lupin III had the "Rupan" copyright nonsense but was still included anyway (another TMS title)

So far it's been confirmed the following Case Closed titles have been dubbed (screened at conventions)

- Case Closed Episode One: The Great Detective Turned Small (coming July 28)

- Case Closed Movie 21: The Crimson Love Letter

- Case Closed Movie 22: Zero the Enforcer

TMS paid for all these dubs with a new cast at Bang Zoom.

TMS most likely produced these dubs as trials to gauge interest

They've done this before.

There's a Treasure Island compilation movie of the TV series that has an English dub. Streamed on Hulu (and later TMS' youtube channel) but no physical release.

And before Lupin's proper revival with the Part IV TV series (credit should be given to The Woman Called Fujiko Mine; actually would've aired on Toonami and would've got more exposure but had too much nudity to censor) TMS also created a brand new dub for the movie Jigen's Gravestone; also premiered on Hulu.

Rather than use Funimation's cast from The Woman Called Fujiko Mine (it is a prequel to Jigen's Gravestone) TMS had a brand new cast.

However when the Part IV TV series arrived (and then Part 5 and more TV specials) TMS and Discotek used the well liked cast from the Part II TV series (Geneon/Pioneer/Phuuz)

The alternate LA cast for Jigen's Gravestone probably only returned for Goemon's Blood Spray and Fujiko's Lie for continuity reasons.

You have to wonder why they didn't use the Part IV cast from the start as both the IIIrd movie trilogy cast and Part IV/Part 5 cast are in LA, but if it's simply because the Jigen's Gravestone cast was a test/trial, the same situation might apply to the upcoming Case Closed titles that have already have a test dub completed.

Discotek has produced some of their own original dubs with an independent company in Texas, Sound Cadence Studios

e.g. Hells, Kemono Friends, Galaxy Express 999: Eternal Fantasy, Thermae Romae, City Hunter: Shinjuku Private Eyes

I don't think it's impossible scenario where Discotek works with this studio again and they reassemble some of the original Funimation cast for some new Case Closed content; uncut with the original character names (if TMS isn't interested in funding more Case Closed dubs with their own money)

Dub production rates are lower in Texas than California so objectively Discotek is getting a better deal (spend less) vs. sticking with the new Bang Zoom cast and gains some goodwill from reusing some fan favorite talent again just like the Lupin Part II situation.

Long story short, the new Case Closed English dub cast might only be temporary. It's also not guaranteed new Case Closed titles excluding what's already been dubbed (movies 21 & 22) will be dubbed at all.

Not every Lupin Blu-ray release is dubbed (e.g. The Last Job) either

Personally I'm glad to have more Case Closed and I'm willing to give the new English cast a chance but I'm keeping expectations somewhat low.

I'd like to see some of the original English cast from Funimation get a proper second chance (let it be their DBZ Kai to work on it uncut and unedited from scratch)

Maybe like Lupin it's possible both casts split titles going forward depending on who's actually paying for the dub and whether the title itself warrants the additional cost

e.g. If Discotek re-released the Lupin vs Conan TV special & movie I don't mind if the LA cast is used but I'd prefer if the Texas cast was brought back for other titles if that's an option down the line

If TMS is paying for the dub; I can see them sticking with the Bang Zoom cast, if Discotek is paying for the dub I can see a Sound Cadence (Funimation) reunion

Last edited by Jackson_H; 05-07-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Thanks given by:
SpaceBlackKnight (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 03:46 AM   #55
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson_H View Post
...Discotek who has re-licensed some of those titles (and hopefully all of them eventually) is able to include the Funimation dub e.g. Voyage to Danger, Island of Assassins and the upcoming Dragon of Doom.
TBH wasn't entirely sure if Funi had questionable rights to the dubs of TMS titles they produced. But since you mentioned Discotek had put out some of the Lupin TV specials on BD with the Funi dubs they did for their DVDs, then it's not the case of Funi being protective of content they don't have the rights to. It's probably TMS are wanting to do newer and more accurate translations to gauge interest. Thanks for clearing things up.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:20 AM   #56
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2007
California

It is a bit unusual that Discotek didnít redub those Lupin Specials. While the Funimation Dub is good and all with Sonny Strait doing a pretty good job, but that mispronounciation of Lupinís name though. Plus Discotek sticks to Tony Oliver who I think has done the best job playing as Lupin.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:18 AM   #57
Expert Member

Sep 2015
Default Detective Conan / Case Closed "Year One" Movie Coming To Blu-ray!

Case closed/ detective conan returns to dvd and coming to Blu-ray in America!

Episode one movie has japan and new English dub! Looks like this is a test to see if conan will sell well in America! Comes out in july.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Case-...lu-ray/268985/

https://www.amazon.com/Case-Closed-T...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

This may be our one chance to bring the detective conan shows and movies to Blu-ray in America!

Video I found about the release.

Cover art.

Last edited by gaastra; 05-17-2020 at 04:24 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:22 AM   #58
Expert Member

Sep 2015

Clip of new English dub va for conan for zero the enforcer movie dub. (conan sounds more like a girl!)

https://www.facebook.com/SaveCaseClo...urce=permalink

Last edited by gaastra; 05-20-2020 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:24 AM   #59
Expert Member

Sep 2015

Oops double post.

Last edited by gaastra; 05-20-2020 at 02:57 AM.
Old 06-20-2020, 03:33 AM   #60
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.

Case Closed Episode "One" Blu-Ray now available through Discotek’s eBay and RightStuf:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254629186700

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Case-...de-One-Blu-ray
Thanks given by:
Alls Wills (06-20-2020), InuYashaCrusade (06-20-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Tags
anime, blu-ray, case closed, detective conan