Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Attack on Titan: The Final Season - Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The King of Braves GaoGaiGar: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$67.81

Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon - Season 2, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

The Demon Girl Next Door 2: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Inu-Oh (Blu-ray)
$18.35
1 day ago
Redo of Healer: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$36.68

Attack on Titan: The Final Season - Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Fate/Stay Night: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Blue Thermal (Blu-ray)
$21.99
1 day ago
Record of Ragnarok: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation - Season 1, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$39.50

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 01-17-2021, 12:22 AM   #41
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2013
-
-

You could update and add to the list whenever someone mentions something that recently went out of print. There's no rush. Add things as time goes on.
Thanks given by:
Kyle15 (03-06-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 06:48 PM   #42

Aug 2020

Initial D Fourth Stage also appears to be OOP; shows as "No Longer Available" on RightStuf. Makes me wonder whether the first two sets are on the verge of disappearing as well.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:12 PM   #43

May 2017
Durham, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorian View Post
Initial D Fourth Stage also appears to be OOP; shows as "No Longer Available" on RightStuf. Makes me wonder whether the first two sets are on the verge of disappearing as well.
Hope someone else picks up the Initial D series license and does something with it. The Fourth Stage set you're talking about was non-anamorphic widescreen so it might as well be trash as far as I'm concerned.

I would recommend that people pick up the First and Second Stage DVDs while they have the chance though, the content on those is 4:3 so they don't have that problem.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:31 AM   #44

Jun 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jol View Post
I see it still in stock here in Amazon.ca for $27 CAD.

I've been holding off picking it up but I think I'm going to pull the trigger. I don't want to miss out and see them go up in price like those NGE Rebuild bluray films with the nice packing.

Did the first Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution get a nice casing too or just a slipcover?
i checked what the hell?! why would there be more in canada then?!
Old 01-19-2021, 06:41 AM   #45
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

Sometimes Amazon Canada is one of the last places to sell out of something. Like they had the Persona 4: The Animation LE for months longer than everyone else. They also were the only place you could find Dragon Box 6 when that one became hard to find. Some of the Ranma 1/2 LEs also could be found there but nowhere else. I've imported 5 releases from there when they were one of the only places left with the following:

-Death Note Box Set 2 (Digipak)
-Dragon Box 6
-Is This a Zombie? S1 DVD LE
-Persona 4: The Animation LE
-Ranma 1/2 Set 4 Special Edition

Last edited by BigOnAnime; 01-19-2021 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Got Dragon Box number wrong.
Thanks given by:
sagadego (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 01:05 PM   #46
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jol View Post
Did the first Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution get a nice casing too or just a slipcover?
Mine just has a slipcover. If you order from Funimation you get a bonus film strip.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:16 AM   #47
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.

Eromanga Sensei Volume 2 [Blu-ray]
https://www.rightstufanime.com/Eroma...lume-2-Blu-ray

Quote:
No Longer Available
Old 03-05-2021, 12:42 PM   #48

Nov 2018

I know a lot of Yu-Gi-Oh! DVDs have been going away. Just going to Rightstuf and you can't even buy the Season Sets for DM, GX, and Zexal anymore. I'm honestly surprised to see these DVDs disappear so soon, but since they were distributed by Cinedigm, I shouldn't be surprised. Still, feel bad for anyone who didn't get all of these in time.

https://www.rightstufanime.com/searc...s=Yugioh%20dvd
Old 03-05-2021, 12:52 PM   #49
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlechateau View Post
I know a lot of Yu-Gi-Oh! DVDs have been going away. Just going to Rightstuf and you can't even buy the Season Sets for DM, GX, and Zexal anymore. I'm honestly surprised to see these DVDs disappear so soon, but since they were distributed by Cinedigm, I shouldn't be surprised. Still, feel bad for anyone who didn't get all of these in time.

https://www.rightstufanime.com/searc...s=Yugioh%20dvd
I was hoping Cinedigm would have done complete series box sets similar to what DM got. I definitely would've bought GX and possibly 5Ds.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:40 AM   #50
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2019
Utah

Is it safe to assume that all of Funimation's "S.A.V.E." shows that were only released on DVD and not reissued on blu ray to be OOP once the license expires? (If it hasn't already)

"Speed Grapher" is already confirmed to be OOP, so other shows that never got an HD release like Moon Phase, Girls Bravo, Welcome to the NHK, etc - might eventually be OOP. And alot of those shows were Pioneer/Geneon rescues.

I'd rather have the hum-drum green label DVD's than not have them at all, and that's quite frankly more than a dozen shows that won't get relicensed IF my assumption is correct.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:18 AM   #51
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

No, because some of those are evergreens and still sell well enough to justify keeping them in-print. Also, for the 9,000th time, S.A.V.E.=/=Poor seller. FUNimation put way, way, way more titles on S.A.V.E. than Anime Classics, and if that many titles had sold poorly (we're talking nearly hundreds), FUNimation would have gone under years ago. Likewise, there are titles on Anime Classics that based off Amazon haven't exactly sold well, and some of those have gone OOP, like Haibane Renmei, Love Hina, and Texhnolyze.
Thanks given by:
gloomranger (03-06-2021), professorwho (03-06-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 05:36 AM   #52
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2019
Utah

Has Funimation announced any plan to update their "S.A.V.E." label DVD catalogue to their current "Essentials" line?

Because last time I checked; Funimation has abandoned that green label. All of the blu ray's that were on the S.A.V.E. label was re-issued under their new "Essentials" label. (Astral Ocean, Michiko & Hatchin, Shakugan No Shana, and many others)

I can't see that they have anymore.

Also - Funimation is owned by Sony now - which means there's been a change in leadership and by an extension of that; a change in how Funimation handles business. It's very practical to at least to invite the notion that Sony might want to off-load old shows that are only on DVD. This idea lends itself to the fact that Aniplex (Sony owned as well) DOES NOT deal in DVD distribution for their anime, and if they do - the examples would be outliers rather than legitimate examples.

Sony might look at the Funimation's old DVD catalogue and simply just say "No" when said license expires - even IF said show is an "evergreen". Rurouni Kenshin is an evergreen too, but they took that license back once their contract expired with Anime Works. Incidentally though; it's available for streaming.

And then there's the scenario where the license holder just "doesn't care" to renew or give the license to someone else. This is why Battle Angel DVD is OOP. Yukito Kishiro has the rights, but doesn't care for the anime adaptation, or for anime in general and has been sitting on the rights ever since.

It's no secret that Sony is prioritizing getting as many streaming platforms as possible because that's what all their cards are on.

Just because something sells well, doesn't mean it's gonna stay on a distributor's catalogue forever.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:07 AM   #53
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

Aniplex Japan was blocking renewals to their titles well before Sony bought FUNimation (here's Jerome from Manga UK talking about in 2016), and Media Blasters actually lost the Rurouni Kenshin license before that was happening. They lost nearly every single license they had around that time period in early 2013. You cannot correlate Aniplex Japan titles expiring with Sony ownership, if anything, Sony doesn't like that. FUNimation was supposed to lose Guilty Crown in late 2020, but it seems they were allowed to renew it thanks to them having being bought by Sony, and there being the ongoing power struggle between Sony Pictures and Aniplex Japan.

Also, FUNimation has put a former S.A.V.E. title on Essentials, Aquarion, so they aren't against the idea of putting DVD-only S.A.V.E. titles on Essentials or Classics, though that is the only one so far.
https://www.rightstufanime.com/Aquar...Essentials-DVD
Old 03-06-2021, 06:36 AM   #54
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2019
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOnAnime View Post
Aniplex Japan was blocking renewals to their titles well before Sony bought FUNimation (here's Jerome from Manga UK talking about in 2016), and Media Blasters actually lost the Rurouni Kenshin license before that was happening. They lost nearly every single license they had around that time period in early 2013. You cannot correlate Aniplex Japan titles expiring with Sony ownership, if anything, Sony doesn't like that. FUNimation was supposed to lose Guilty Crown in late 2020, but it seems they were allowed to renew it thanks to them having being bought by Sony, and there being the ongoing power struggle between Sony Pictures and Aniplex Japan.

Also, FUNimation has put a former S.A.V.E. title on Essentials, Aquarion, so they aren't against the idea of putting DVD-only S.A.V.E. titles on Essentials or Classics, though that is the only one so far.
https://www.rightstufanime.com/Aquar...Essentials-DVD
I might bite the bullet for the sake of playing it safe and get a bunch of "S.A.V.E." shows because I already kick myself in the teeth for not buying Birdy The Mighty: Decode and other shows on the S.A.V.E. label.

Even if they re-issue all of their (or whatever is eligible) S.A.V.E. titles under a "Essentials" DVD label - it'll most likely be the same disc anyway. The green cover art doesn't bother me as much as others anyway.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:48 AM   #55
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

If you want something, buy it, it's that simple. If you want to priotize, look for anything that's in its 6th, 7th, 12th, 13th, or 14th year of being out (ANN and this site are your friends for seeing when the very first release of something came out) and doesn't seem like it's selling well anymore.

Birdy the Mighty: Decode was an Aniplex Japan title, so that's why it went OOP, FUNimation was blocked from renewing the license.
Thanks given by:
Bobo1313 (03-06-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 06:54 AM   #56
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2013
Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Collector FX View Post
I might bite the bullet for the sake of playing it safe and get a bunch of "S.A.V.E." shows because I already kick myself in the teeth for not buying Birdy The Mighty: Decode and other shows on the S.A.V.E. label.

Even if they re-issue all of their (or whatever is eligible) S.A.V.E. titles under a "Essentials" DVD label - it'll most likely be the same disc anyway. The green cover art doesn't bother me as much as others anyway.
It's a smart move, sometimes they have reversible covers anyway.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:37 AM   #57

Feb 2019
North Dakota

More information about Media Blasters problems here Answerman
Old 03-07-2021, 12:57 AM   #58
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.

That article is from 2015 and Media Blasters have since returned to licensing/releasing anime again.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:42 AM   #59
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2013
-
-

I'll never forgive MB for what they did to Bakuman. Dropped it after 6 episodes and let it rot away without a physical release to this day.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:15 AM   #60
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.

https://twitter.com/mediablasters1/s...787282951?s=21

Quote:
Honestly the show did really poorly. Sorry to say.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime