Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Vol. 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.99
1 day ago
The Wizard of Oz 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.22

Dunkirk 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.85
8 hrs ago
12 Angry Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

48 Hrs. / Another 48 Hrs. 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.99

The Craft 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Flashdance 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00
11 hrs ago
The Running Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.74

Escape from New York 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99

Species 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99

G.I. Joe: Retaliation 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99
15 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 4K Ultra HD > 4K Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International 4K Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 12-11-2021, 07:03 AM   #1

Aug 2009
Australia
Default Mad Max 2 4K and Mad Max 3 4K - Recall in Aus?

Hey team,

Seeing a lot of confusing chatter across the regions about one or both of these releases being broken.

I'm seeing on the JB HiFi website that Mad Mad 2 is no longer available but Mad Max 3 is.

Did MM2 get recalled? If so does anyone have any info on possible replacements?

Is MM3 actually fine if they're still selling it?

Any info the clear up the confusion would be awesome! Thanks
Thanks given by:
PaulBerriman9 (12-17-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 11:21 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2012
Melbourne, Australia

MM2 and Beyond Thunderdome were both initially recalled over an audio issue, but WB have since released stock of Thunderdome from quarantine as they've said the disc is fine.

MM2 is going to go through a replacement program and new stock, but Jan or Feb next year I believe due to massive backlogs with pressing.
Old 12-11-2021, 01:01 PM   #3

Aug 2009
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
MM2 and Beyond Thunderdome were both initially recalled over an audio issue, but WB have since released stock of Thunderdome from quarantine as they've said the disc is fine.

MM2 is going to go through a replacement program and new stock, but Jan or Feb next year I believe due to massive backlogs with pressing.
Thank you for the info. I assume the replacement program will also be rolled out for Australia too?
Old 12-11-2021, 10:06 PM   #4

Jun 2012
Sydney Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
MM2 and Beyond Thunderdome were both initially recalled over an audio issue, but WB have since released stock of Thunderdome from quarantine as they've said the disc is fine..
Correct.

Warner’s Mad Max 2 4K statement

Quote:
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has taken immediate steps to correct the unintentional audio file error on Mad Max 2 The Road Warrior and Mad Max Anthology 4K UHD products. The company has recalled all inventory currently in stores and the manufacturing of new discs has begun. Replacement discs will be made available for consumers who purchased the affected product. Due to concurrent supply chain delays, replacement product will become available in mid-January.

For those wondering, the Atmos mix on the disc included a number of sound effect revisions, and the 5.1 and 2.0 options—rather than being the previous/original sound mixes—were simply fold-downs of the Atmos. We don’t know if the Atmos mix is being redone, but we do know that the 5.1 and 2.0 will be the correct previous/original sound mixes on the replacement disc.

Also, be aware that the audio on Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome was checked and found to be just fine. So the issue is with the Mad Max 2 The Road Warrior 4K disc alone.
Thanks given by:
fuzzymctiger (12-11-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 11:33 PM   #5
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2016

Mad Max 2 was issued with downmixes of the Atmos track instead of the original stereo and 5.1 remix from the original stems. The Atmos track has a bunch of new foley effects and is extremely "modernized". Beyond Thunderdome apparently also has Atmos downmixes instead of legacy mixes, but the foley is unchanged on the Atmos track. Hence, they only recalled MM2 because Thunderdome was deemed "good enough".
Old 01-23-2022, 04:50 AM   #6

Aug 2009
Australia

I see that Mad Max 2 is getting re-released here on 02-Mar-2022.

Anyone have any details on a replacement program for Aus?
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (01-24-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 08:48 AM   #7

Nov 2010
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubElement View Post

Anyone have any details on a replacement program for Aus?
Knowing Roadshow, they won't actively advertise a recall program, the only one I can remember them doing recently was The Dish. But if you contact them directly they may replace the disc. I ended up contacting them directly for their 4k Batman and Right Stuff Bluray SNAFU's back in the day.
Old 01-30-2022, 12:03 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnotoad8128 View Post
Knowing Roadshow, they won't actively advertise a recall program, the only one I can remember them doing recently was The Dish. But if you contact them directly they may replace the disc. I ended up contacting them directly for their 4k Batman and Right Stuff Bluray SNAFU's back in the day.
They also issued replacement discs for 2001.

But I find it a little puzzling that you’re saying “knowing Roadshow, they won’t actively advertise a recall” and stating this like it’s a behaviour only attributable to them. Where would Roadshow honestly “advertise” a recall program? Should they take out a page in the local newspaper or magazines across the nation? Should they get radio stations across the country to let everyone know that there’s a replacement program? Should they track down every person in the country who bought the original discs?

Outside of places like Blu-ray.com, advertising replacement programs happens extremely little. The only people who care about replacement programs are people on forums like this, where the information is circulated in the first instance. There’s certainly no point issuing a press release to this site, it’s not an Australian site. There are no Aussie sites exclusively for home media chatter, but if there was, they would use it.

Continuing this forum’s favourite pastime of battering Roadshow is so odd when they’re very reliable in terms of replacement discs. They don’t even ask for proof of purchase or hassle you for additional details.
Old 01-30-2022, 01:00 PM   #9

Nov 2010
Australia

You've taken my use of the word "advertise" in the literal sense. What I've meant was in past occurrences Roadshow has had issues with certain discs where there was no public acknowledgement of a problem, but if you contacted them personally, they've fixed said problem.

The most recent occurrence for me was of course the 2001 4k disc. Previously it was the Batman releases in 4k where they had put the old Bluray disc into each film instead of the new remastered Bluray along with the 4k disc which was in overseas copies, before that it was the Blu-ray release of The Right Stuff where the local release didn't have the then-new 96khz True HD track on the disc, just the standard 48khz track.

I'm not complaining mind you, each time I've contacted Roadshow they have fixed the problem, which is good customer service. I am of course singling out Roadshow here because the discussion is about a Roadshow release, but yes indeed all distributors do similar things and I know that there are some out there much worse than roadshow.

It just a shame most local distributors don't go out proactively and create a page on their respective sites to easily obtain a corrected disc with just a few clicks rather than having to go through the laborious process of manually contacting them and waiting for a response. Considering the state of physical media in this country, I'm not surprised.
Old 02-04-2022, 10:22 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Australia

Just as a general FYI to everybody, Roadshow confirmed to me today that they will issue replacement discs when they’re available. I just supplied my mailing address.
Thanks given by:
hdgfs (02-04-2022), Mobe1969 (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 02:21 PM   #11

Aug 2009
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayButler91 View Post
Just as a general FYI to everybody, Roadshow confirmed to me today that they will issue replacement discs when they’re available. I just supplied my mailing address.
May I ask how you contacted Roadshow?
Old 02-04-2022, 02:44 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Australia

Quote:
May I ask how you contacted Roadshow?
ConsumerCare@roadshow.com.au

Thanks given by:
Optimus (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 01:36 AM   #13

Aug 2009
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayButler91 View Post
Thank you!
Thanks given by:
StrayButler91 (02-06-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 06:33 AM   #14

Aug 2009
Australia

Got my disc swapped at JB today.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:49 AM   #15
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2016

The new discs have lossless encoding for all the English audio tracks. Also apparently the US reissued box set has a new disc for Beyond Thunderdome with the legacy mixes re-encoded in the same manner, so whether we'll eventually get that disc here in a restock is anyone's guess. I'm thinking I'll hold off for a while and try my luck down the line on that one.
Old 03-16-2022, 12:39 PM   #16

Aug 2009
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister_M View Post
The new discs have lossless encoding for all the English audio tracks. Also apparently the US reissued box set has a new disc for Beyond Thunderdome with the legacy mixes re-encoded in the same manner, so whether we'll eventually get that disc here in a restock is anyone's guess. I'm thinking I'll hold off for a while and try my luck down the line on that one.
God damn these releases have been a total mess...
Old 03-16-2022, 09:14 PM   #17
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2016

Quote:
God damn these releases have been a total mess...
Still nowhere near as confusing as all the different local BD releases of MM2
Old 03-17-2022, 05:46 AM   #18

May 2009
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister_M View Post
Still nowhere near as confusing as all the different local BD releases of MM2
And none of them have the extended Pappagallo speech from the VHS.
Thanks given by:
Bobbyjoe766 (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 10:29 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCrumb View Post
And none of them have the extended Pappagallo speech from the VHS.
That sucks.

I'll be hanging onto my ancient Australian WB VHS release. Had it back in 1989, then replaced it with the 1992 reissue - with an image of Max from Thunderdome on the front cover - and no original WB logo at the start this time.

Why is it the classics always seem to have something holding them back from being their best on home video? It's always some sort of screw-up, yet sh*t like JAWS 2 gets through with no digital manipulation and original audio.
Old 03-22-2022, 09:21 PM   #20
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyjoe766 View Post
That sucks.

I'll be hanging onto my ancient Australian WB VHS release. Had it back in 1989, then replaced it with the 1992 reissue - with an image of Max from Thunderdome on the front cover - and no original WB logo at the start this time.

Why is it the classics always seem to have something holding them back from being their best on home video? It's always some sort of screw-up, yet sh*t like JAWS 2 gets through with no digital manipulation and original audio.
Not just that, apparently it also has some rather nasty DNR on all the optical transition shots. So it goes from filmic to waxworks and back a lot
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 4K Ultra HD > 4K Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International 4K Blu-ray and 4K Movies