Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 2 (1983-1993) (Blu-ray)
$80.99

Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Vol. 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.99

Shazam! 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.99
8 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Heart of Dragon (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Nobody (Blu-ray)
$6.99
9 hrs ago
The Conjuring Universe 7-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Black Adam 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99
1 day ago
The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

The Barn (Blu-ray)
$18.47
4 hrs ago
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.35

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 09-19-2022, 03:52 PM   #21
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
My experience wasn't that loud . . . but it was loud. Curious as to what your #1 loudest was?

Brett said he moved around the (Chinese IMAX) theater and thought the picture experience was better towards the back but the audio was awesome upfront. Pleased to hear him say it was the best screening (in terms of presentation quality) that he'd been to.
'Transformers: Darkside of the Moon'

I'm seeing this again, this afternoon with a friend, I told him to bring some earplugs
Old 09-20-2022, 12:18 AM   #22
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

what's interesting about the soundmix is that the surrounds channels are just as loud as the front speakers, which is rare to mix as such. From what I've read online, this was mixed in Dolby Atmos, 12 channel for IMAX laser systems, 7.1 and 5.1, this should sound amazing on home video - fingers crossed Atmos will be on the future Bluray edition

I've always seen pictures of concerts at Milton Keynes, but the bit of footage after the 'Let's Dance' song, the outdoor park in England to experience a concert looks massive with so many concert goers, it's literally a sea of people

Last edited by Dubstar; 09-20-2022 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:14 PM   #23

Dec 2012

On my way to the theater to check it out now...I can hardly contain my excitement.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:47 PM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
'Transformers: Darkside of the Moon'
Yeah, Bay is louder than Bowie.
Thanks given by:
Dubstar (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 01:37 PM   #25
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2014
Glasgow

It was definitely put together in a stimulating way, for the most part. For me though, I didn't see a whole lot of stuff, if anything, that I hadn't seen before.

It was nice and loud though. I liked the loudness.

If you haven't seen a huge amount of Bowie stuff and you want to be impressed, go see it.
Old 09-21-2022, 07:47 PM   #26
Special Member

Nov 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit Blanc View Post
I cannot emphasise this enough. Do NOT go see this movie if you're photosensitive. This movie was NOT made for epileptics. I'm not usually photosensitive but even I felt a bit ill at times.
I'm seeing more and more at ticket booths these copier-printed warnings about this or that movie containing photosensitive images. Shouldn't it be up to the studios to alert the audience at the start of their movies (at least)? The only movie I've seen on a big screen to do so was In The Earth, with a title card warning of the film's use of strobe effects.

It shouldn't be the burden of the theaters to wait for a patron's complaint, or an incident, to know about a potentially problematic issue.
Thanks given by:
Benoit Blanc (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 08:24 PM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2020
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroyear2 View Post
I'm seeing more and more at ticket booths these copier-printed warnings about this or that movie containing photosensitive images. Shouldn't it be up to the studios to alert the audience at the start of their movies (at least)? The only movie I've seen on a big screen to do so was In The Earth, with a title card warning of the film's use of strobe effects.

It shouldn't be the burden of the theaters to wait for a patron's complaint, or an incident, to know about a potentially problematic issue.
Seen it yet?
Old 09-21-2022, 08:35 PM   #28
Special Member

Nov 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit Blanc View Post
Seen it yet?
Not yet. This weekend (fingers crossed).
Thanks given by:
Benoit Blanc (09-21-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 03:48 AM   #29

Sep 2015
United States

Quote:
Wonderful commentary, Great Owl.

I noticed this repetition as well as that of a bit wherein David is brushing white paint onto a floor. Both bits are reprised from the beginning of the film and I thought they are likely circular referrals, bookending our odyssey.

Some indulgent moments but a memorable IMAX experience. Highly recommend seeing it in this format (for the next six days only).

And what an amalgam of producing/financing entities: Live Nation Productions, HBO Doc Films, Neon, IMAX, BMG . . .

I asked Mr. Morgen if a Stateside 4K BD is in the works and he said yes. No extras though unfortunately. Id like to learn more about the remarkable animations timed to the music.
It was easier said than done...
The only "premium" format was Dolby Cinema at AMC and only during open night due to The Woman King and later Avatar coming in and stealing both the Dolby and Imax theaters, no theater nearby even had an Imax, so I was stuck with the standard screening. Screw whoever thought that was a good idea to shove a premium format film 1 day before Sony and Disney took it.

Honestly, hard to get into. Its very much an experimental film on the back's of archive footage and the Bowie estate. It doesn't go much into Bowie other than basic stuff and i'm shocked how all over the place it is. Its not even a concert film as it barely has that. The footage is also all over the place due to mostly being archive footage and/or maybe recreations with a lookalike. Not quite sure on the later, but it seemed strange the quality being inconsistent. It also was missing a few songs which was a bummer.

Its an ok watch, amazing screensaver. I'm not sure if I recommend to see it in theaters due to it being less distracting than at home, or to wait for the 4k home release.
Thanks given by:
impasse (09-29-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 06:06 AM   #30
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2017
???, Florida

Blu-ray is currently up on Amazon for $17.99, knowing Decal though it'll probably be $14.99 when it comes out
Old 09-29-2022, 02:41 PM   #31

Feb 2017

Seems like the film in imax format left the theaters near me. The bluray is still 2 months away, I really want to rewatch it again, hopefully a digital release comes soon.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:15 PM   #32
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

Do the songs play out uninterrupted? One of my pet peeves is documentaries on music where they play a fragment of a song, then cut to a talking head or B roll, then come back for more of the song, then more interruption, etc.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:34 PM   #33

Sep 2015
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
Do the songs play out uninterrupted? One of my pet peeves is documentaries on music where they play a fragment of a song, then cut to a talking head or B roll, then come back for more of the song, then more interruption, etc.
Yes and no.
[Show spoiler] Modern Love for example is the instrumental then it plays uninterrupted over the b roll, while Starman is played uninterrupted over the credits.
There no talking heads in this film other than maybe the interview footage cut in here and there with Bowie, Bowie also narrates throughout the "documentary via archival footage and maybe AI? Once again, not sure on the latter but some of the audio clips do vary in quality, so who knows.

Last edited by ccateni; 09-29-2022 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-30-2022, 04:38 AM   #34

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sextonseven View Post
I went to a matinee IMAX screening today. It was glorious. I can't recommend it enough to anyone who loves or even just likes Bowie.
This has since been long gone from IMAX, but I was fortunate to see it that very short week it played there. And what an experience it was. It's one of the loudest movies I have ever seen in any theater. I wasn't quite expecting that. My ears rang for 48 hours. I'm so glad I saw on the largest screen possible.
Old 09-30-2022, 06:31 PM   #35
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2013

This is an "arty" documentary as befits the artist who always loved to break convention.
Old 09-30-2022, 06:42 PM   #36
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccateni View Post
Yes and no.
[Show spoiler] Modern Love for example is the instrumental then it plays uninterrupted over the b roll, while Starman is played uninterrupted over the credits.
There no talking heads in this film other than maybe the interview footage cut in here and there with Bowie, Bowie also narrates throughout the "documentary via archival footage and maybe AI? Once again, not sure on the latter but some of the audio clips do vary in quality, so who knows.
A lot of music documentaries leave me wishing they had just presented the source material and not done fancy editing and formatting over the top of it. I'm suspecting this might fall into that category.

The worst for this was Ken Burns' Jazz. There were amazing live performances all through the whole 1000 minutes and only one single solitary song was presented all the way from beginning to end.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:03 PM   #37
Special Member

Apr 2008
Pacific NW

I was kind of hoping this would be in 4K with an Atmos soundtrack. Hopefully down the line.
Thanks given by:
Levi0ffline (09-30-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 12:41 AM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccateni View Post
[Show spoiler]It was easier said than done...
The only "premium" format was Dolby Cinema at AMC and only during open night due to The Woman King and later Avatar coming in and stealing both the Dolby and Imax theaters, no theater nearby even had an Imax, so I was stuck with the standard screening. Screw whoever thought that was a good idea to shove a premium format film 1 day before Sony and Disney took it.

Honestly, hard to get into. Its very much an experimental film on the back's of archive footage and the Bowie estate. It doesn't go much into Bowie other than basic stuff and i'm shocked how all over the place it is. Its not even a concert film as it barely has that. The footage is also all over the place due to mostly being archive footage and/or maybe recreations with a lookalike. Not quite sure on the later, but it seemed strange the quality being inconsistent. It also was missing a few songs which was a bummer.

Its an ok watch, amazing screensaver. I'm not sure if I recommend to see it in theaters due to it being less distracting than at home, or to wait for the 4k home release.
Why are you quoting me?

Happy to see that the ChIMAX has rebooked the picture in the Big House for another week.

Last edited by Paul.R.S; 10-01-2022 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:50 AM   #39

Jun 2021
United States of America

I saw this yesterday in a non-IMAX theatre. I'm a David Bowie fan. I like a lot of his music but not everything he did since he delved into a lot of different styles. My favorite period is his Ziggy period. I consider Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars one of THE best rock albums ever! David Bowie has made a lot of great music over the years. This film has many great musical moments in it. I don't really get into all his theatrical performances too much, so these parts of the movie were my least favorite. It was interesting to see that he was such a talented artist/painter! I likes the clips of Bowie from various television shows and the concert footage makes me yearn to see a full-length concert of his in the movie theatres! Some parts of the movie I got a little emotional due to being overwhelmed by the experience.

In short, Moonage Daydream is a wonderful and fitting tribute to one of the most eclectic and enduring artists of our time! All Bowie fans should see it as well as those curious to get a glimpse into a remarkable artists life and career!
Old 10-10-2022, 11:08 PM   #40

Sep 2015
United States

Quote:
Why are you quoting me?

Happy to see that the ChIMAX has rebooked the picture in the Big House for another week.
It was mainly in response to the short time it was running in premium formats as my area had only 1 day where it was in any premium format in my area.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies