Best Anime Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The King of Braves GaoGaiGar: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$67.81
1 day ago
Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero (Blu-ray)
$19.96
 
Attack on Titan: The Final Season - Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$49.99
 
Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation - Season 1, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$37.49
 
The Demon Girl Next Door 2: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
 
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations: Set 14 (Blu-ray)
$31.51
3 hrs ago
Inu-Oh (Blu-ray)
$19.96
 
GATE: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99
 
Dragon Ball Z: Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan / Broly - Second Coming / Bio-Broly (Blu-ray)
$16.83
 
Tetsujin 28 FX: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$46.39
1 day ago
Record of Ragnarok: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99
 
Lupin the 3rd Part I: The Classic Adventures (Blu-ray)
$45.50
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2022, 04:14 PM   #221
Infernal King Infernal King is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Infernal King's Avatar
 
Jun 2013
-
-
2
Default

Inexplicably received a snarky dunking last time I brought this up but on the off chance anyone wants to give a civil reply: Is it confirmed that Anime Limited will NOT be doing a new scan of Nadia for their UHD, and are just releasing the same master GKids already put out on Blu-ray?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 05:38 PM   #222
SpaceDandy SpaceDandy is offline
Active Member
 
Aug 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal King View Post
Inexplicably received a snarky dunking last time I brought this up but on the off chance anyone wants to give a civil reply: Is it confirmed that Anime Limited will NOT be doing a new scan of Nadia for their UHD, and are just releasing the same master GKids already put out on Blu-ray?
How can Anime Limited do a new scan of Nadia…?
They will release what NHK provides them. This is the only answer anyone can give at the moment.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 08:37 PM   #223
Infernal King Infernal King is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Infernal King's Avatar
 
Jun 2013
-
-
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDandy View Post
How can Anime Limited do a new scan of Nadia…?
I'm not as familiar with anime on 4K as I am with movies. I know some Japan companies can be highly protective of their assets.

Quote:
They will release what NHK provides them. This is the only answer anyone can give at the moment.
In that case, uh oh. Looks like we lucked out with Future Boy Conan.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 09:35 PM   #224
segapluto segapluto is offline
Member
 
segapluto's Avatar
 
Dec 2021
Default

So should I break down and pay the after market price for the sentai set or is it not that much better than the much cheaper GKIDS set?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 02:39 PM   #225
darkdream787 darkdream787 is offline
Member
 
Dec 2011
1
1
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by segapluto View Post
So should I break down and pay the after market price for the sentai set or is it not that much better than the much cheaper GKIDS set?
Looks like overkill DNR, and AI smeary upscaling in the new GKids set to me.

https://slow.pics/c/wXZkNPdp (Use mouse clicks or keyboard arrows to flip comparison images)

I think the older Sentai set is better quality.

Last edited by darkdream787; 11-26-2022 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Grammar/Spelling correction
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
gwfb5 (11-27-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 04:33 PM   #226
segapluto segapluto is offline
Member
 
segapluto's Avatar
 
Dec 2021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdream787 View Post
Looks like overkill DNR, and AI smeary upscaling in the new GKids set to me.

https://slow.pics/c/wXZkNPdp (Use mouse clicks or keyboard arrows to flip comparison images)

I think the older Sentai set is better quality.
I don't know why they didn't just release the version Sentai had unless the japanese company did this recent version and had GKIDS release it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 05:27 PM   #227
Gowho Gowho is offline
Active Member
 
Gowho's Avatar
 
Jul 2022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by segapluto View Post
I don't know why they didn't just release the version Sentai had unless the japanese company did this recent version and had GKIDS release it.
https://pf.nhk-ep.co.jp/detail/79907358723

Looks likely to me or they wouldn't be promoting it like this.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 10:16 AM   #228
Lum Lum is offline
Expert Member
 
Lum's Avatar
 
Oct 2014
1
236
179
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by segapluto View Post
I don't know why they didn't just release the version Sentai had unless the japanese company did this recent version and had GKIDS release it.
Don't Japanese consumers tend to prefer DNR? I'd understand if the new release was DNR'd for parity with Japan.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 02:25 PM   #229
LexInHD LexInHD is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Oct 2010
226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lum View Post
Don't Japanese consumers tend to prefer DNR? I'd understand if the new release was DNR'd for parity with Japan.
No, there's no evidence to support Japanese consumers preferring DNR. The use of heavy DNR in video masters goes back to the distribution methods and using heavy DNR on a master source arguably results in a "better picture" and easier encode at the various points that re-encode video for distribution. It also connects to the TV industry wanting "sharp and clear" picture on their TVs, regardless of what that actually results in, at the endpoint of viewers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:44 PM   #230
Nori Nori is offline
Power Member
 
Jul 2016
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lum View Post
Don't Japanese consumers tend to prefer DNR? I'd understand if the new release was DNR'd for parity with Japan.
No we don't (well I'm half Japanese but anyway).

I think some people who don't understand grain are a bit surprised when the image is very grainy, but a lot of people also dislike when it looks completely flat.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 05:11 PM   #231
gloomranger gloomranger is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
gloomranger's Avatar
 
Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.
109
780
103
10
Default

*UK release

Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water Ultimate Edition 4K UHD + Blu-ray + Book

Release date: April 24, 2023

Quote:
Features the complete Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water (episodes 1-39) with English and Japanese audio and English subtitles, across four Blu-ray discs and four 4K UHD discs (with an SDR presentation).

The full set of discs are stored within a rigid slipcase.

This Ultimate Edition release also features an individually bundled standalone materials archive book of approximately 160 pages, packed with a comprehensive view of the series' creation, and featuring character and mechanical designs, interviews with the cast and crew, references, storyboards and a wealth of additional content to create the definitive English guide to this landmark anime.

PREORDER: https://www.alltheanime.com/products...timate-edition


[Show spoiler]
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 08:04 PM   #232
Kyle15 Kyle15 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Kyle15's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
Alabama
72
333
5
Default

150 pounds for a smeary upscale at 4k!! I'm sold!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Misioon_Odisea (12-11-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 01:42 PM   #233
Infernal King Infernal King is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Infernal King's Avatar
 
Jun 2013
-
-
2
Default

I'm still interested in how this UHD release will look. As much as I want to finally own Nadia, I'm not pulling the trigger unless the picture quality is significantly better than the GKids Blu-ray.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 02:56 PM   #234
Kyle15 Kyle15 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Kyle15's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
Alabama
72
333
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal King View Post
I'm still interested in how this UHD release will look. As much as I want to finally own Nadia, I'm not pulling the trigger unless the picture quality is significantly better than the GKids Blu-ray.
Imagine what you already see but with less compression artifacts. Bingo!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 04:15 PM   #235
Infernal King Infernal King is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Infernal King's Avatar
 
Jun 2013
-
-
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle15 View Post
Imagine what you already see but with less compression artifacts. Bingo!
lol don't crush my hopes a second time! It ain't over 'til the screenshots leak.

Nadia is one of my favorite anime so seeing it done dirty is a heartbreaker.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Kyle15 (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 06:22 PM   #236
Kyle15 Kyle15 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Kyle15's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
Alabama
72
333
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal King View Post
lol don't crush my hopes a second time! It ain't over 'til the screenshots leak.

Nadia is one of my favorite anime so seeing it done dirty is a heartbreaker.
I love floating the idea they simply pulverized it for the Blu or prepared a Blu-only "yea totally new master" but realistically...gotta expect the worst knowing common practices unfortunately. Wish it didn't come to that!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 06:30 PM   #237
Infernal King Infernal King is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Infernal King's Avatar
 
Jun 2013
-
-
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle15 View Post
I love floating the idea they simply pulverized it for the Blu or prepared a Blu-only "yea totally new master" but realistically...gotta expect the worst knowing common practices unfortunately. Wish it didn't come to that!
See you next April/May/June/whenever this actually ships and people get their hands on it...

  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Kyle15 (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 07:06 PM   #238
Jr7936 Jr7936 is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Jr7936's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
44
1299
167
49
243
Default

I pre-ordered the all the anime release since with the early bird price who knows when it will be this cheap again
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 09:59 PM   #239
Bobo1313 Bobo1313 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Bobo1313's Avatar
 
Jul 2013
Somewhere
1
16
1
46
Default

Do we know who is working on the UK discs? According to Anime Limited their release is going to be 4 bluray discs while the GKids was 5. Lower disc count maybe an indication its MediaOCD?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 11:39 PM   #240
BoopityBoop BoopityBoop is offline
Active Member
 
BoopityBoop's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo1313 View Post
Do we know who is working on the UK discs? According to Anime Limited their release is going to be 4 bluray discs while the GKids was 5. Lower disc count maybe an indication its MediaOCD?
No confirmation, but 10 eps/disc makes it seem likely (aside from the fact that MediaOCD has authored most of Anime Limited's 4K discs).
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:53 PM.