Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The King of Braves GaoGaiGar: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$67.81
1 day ago
Attack on Titan: The Final Season - Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation - Season 1, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$37.49

The Demon Girl Next Door 2: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

GATE: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99

Dragon Ball Z: Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan / Broly - Second Coming / Bio-Broly (Blu-ray)
$16.83

Inu-Oh (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Lupin the 3rd Part I: The Classic Adventures (Blu-ray)
$45.50

Record of Ragnarok: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Tetsujin 28 FX: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$46.39
1 day ago
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations: Set 14 (Blu-ray)
$31.51
1 hr ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 04-21-2022, 05:17 PM   #21

Feb 2016
Planar Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloomranger View Post
True, but thatís not completely accurate. I mean, ADV put out one last release in 2008 (US/UK). So it hasnít really been OOP for twenty years.

I think my point still stands. Evangelion, in general, is one of the most popular anime franchises of all-time. Youíd be hard pressed to find somebody who hasnít at least heard of the series. Iíd also argue Shin Godzilla and the upcoming Shin Ultraman (heís writing and producing, not directing) only add to name recognition. Thatís not to mention Gunbuster and Kare Kano which are both well known titles many attribute to Anno and not just Gainax. GKIDS are even advertising it as Hideaki Annoís Nadia.
Kare Kano is a weird one, mainly due to how... understated its releases have been? Incomplete? Not sure what the right word is. Right Stuf sublicensed the series from Enoki Films USA, released the broadcast (not home video version, and there are many differences) on DVD in 2003, and that's about it. RS has re-released the same 5 discs a few times, and it's still in print, but it's still essentially the same DVDs from 2003. Anno's name is mentioned on the back as "The Director of Neon Genesis Evangelion and Gunbuster", but it's not particularly big. The sublicense from Enoki likely made things more complicated, release wise, but they went belly-up in like 2011. It almost seems Right Stuf just kinda forgets they have the rights, and puts the minimum amount of effort in to keep it in print. Compare that to the eleventy zillion Evangelion releases, the super fancy Gunbuster releases that always seem to go OOP too fast, and now Nadia, Kare Kano seems almost... quaint? No extend period of being out of print, no cut scenes or music due to copyright issues, no redub... The series just kinda lives in the background. Which is weird, especially considering how the series ends, the fact that it got a fancy Japanese Blu-ray in 2019, and that Right Stuf/Nozomi seems to love their fancy special editions these days.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:21 PM   #22

Feb 2016
Planar Space

When Naida goes back into print, and Discotek finally releases their Gunbuster BD, it will be the first time since 2007 (when Bandai/Image's Gunbuster set went OOP) that 4 Anno/Gainax series will have been in print at once (Gunbuster, Nadia, Evangelion, KareKano). Now all we need is Re:Cutey Honey and we'll have all 5. (I'm ignoring Gunbuster vs. Diebuster)
Old 04-21-2022, 05:29 PM   #23

Jan 2021
USA

I have the Sentai release. I'm willing to double dip if it's a new encode. The old one was somewhat rough in a few areas.

I'm hoping they include the movie and omake episodes for completeness sake. The movie especially has been put of print for a long time. The last few ADV releases and the Sentai one didn't have it.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:40 PM   #24

Feb 2016
Planar Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Panda View Post
I have the Sentai release. I'm willing to double dip if it's a new encode. The old one was somewhat rough in a few areas.

I'm hoping they include the movie and omake episodes for completeness sake. The movie especially has been put of print for a long time. The last few ADV releases and the Sentai one didn't have it.
Random speculation time:
I wonder if the movie just flat out isn't available to license, or if the master is lost. Essentially everyone involved has disowned it (not that Gainax has any say in Nadia licensing). It never even made it to DVD in Japan, much less BD, as far as I'm aware. The ADV DVD already doesn't look too hot, trying to upscale an old Japanese LD to 1080p for a film no one actually likes is probably a fools errand. Would I still love it, even as a 480p extra? Totally.
Old 04-21-2022, 06:44 PM   #25
Power Member

Mar 2010
Room 303, The Heart o' the City Hotel
Send a message via AIM to Lionel Horsepackage

Funny thing, just recently rewatched the Sentai BD-set, but will probably end up buying this one too if there's a noticeable uptick in picture quality.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:29 PM   #26
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Panda View Post

The last release of Nadia from ADV Films had the movie. Was from 2008 when ADV was doing nothing but re-releases after the Sojitz deal implosion.
Old 05-30-2022, 08:08 PM   #27

Nov 2012

Coming August 2.
https://twitter.com/WTK/status/15312...oLENSsOp7DbTqA
Old 05-30-2022, 08:12 PM   #28
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Canada

What do they mean by "Prologue", is it a prequel short or something?

Regardless, I really regret blind-buying the Sentai release a few years ago, which I still haven't watched.

[Show spoiler]
Old 05-30-2022, 09:16 PM   #29
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwfb5 View Post
I really regret blind-buying the Sentai release a few years ago, which I still haven't watched.
And why exactly are you so upset about this?
Old 05-30-2022, 09:17 PM   #30
Special Member

Apr 2011

I wonder when we'll get some new images of this 4K restoration?
Old 05-30-2022, 09:38 PM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2014
Atlanta GA

If they include the godawful island episodes, they should include the movie too. Let’s just have the whole series, warts and all.
Old 05-30-2022, 09:40 PM   #32
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Canada

Quote:
And why exactly are you so upset about this?
Because this new release has a new transfer/extras, and will probably be a lot cheaper than what I paid for the Sentai release.
(which I only bought because I was told it was going OOP)

Just because I haven't gotten around to watching the series yet, since I tend to prioritize watching stuff on Netflix/Prime because it won't always be there, doesn't mean I can't be annoyed about about this.

Maybe the angry face was a bit much.

Maybe I'll try to watch my Sentai BD soon, but every time I think of watching a series I own on BD, I see another anime on Netflix that's about to be taken down.
Honestly though, I like having some stuff in my collection that I've never seen. If the internet's out, or if we get to the point where we have to give up Netflix & Prime, I'll still have something new to watch.

Last edited by gwfb5; 05-30-2022 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-30-2022, 10:24 PM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.

That’s fair. I get it can be frustrating, but anime licensing is so weird. It’s hard to predict if and when a title will come back. I’d say your best bet is to sell your Sentai discs for the same price you bought them at before the GKIDS set is released into the wild.

Personally, I think the Sentai Blu-ray is fine. Aside from a visual upgrade, GKIDS new release doesn’t seem to be offering anything new. So I think I’ll wait on double-dipping to see if Anime Limited end up licensing Nadia down the road, because I know they’ll likely release the series on 4K UHD.
Thanks given by:
BigOnAnime (05-30-2022), gwfb5 (05-30-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 02:04 AM   #34
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2013
Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffOliver View Post
If they include the godawful island episodes, they should include the movie too. Let’s just have the whole series, warts and all.
Agreed. They have Complete Series on the cover, would make sense to include the complete series.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:58 AM   #35

May 2018
Columbus, OH

So no Omakes or the movie. The prologue I think is basically just a trailer.
Old 05-31-2022, 03:41 AM   #36
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2015

I remember I bought the Japanese DVD set (the one with the figure) like 20 years ago for the omake, they've never been on a US release? (I also think I never bought the movie when it came out because people said it sucked)
Old 05-31-2022, 05:33 AM   #37

Aug 2018

The omakes are apparently in licensing hell. As to the movie, Anno does not recognise it and it has not been remastered either. So you can forget about both.
Old 05-31-2022, 05:57 AM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2019
Utah

Quote:

[Show spoiler]
Good lord GKids, I wouldn't call Nadia a "landmark" series but whatever lol.
Old 06-01-2022, 04:53 PM   #39
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.

Quote:
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water: Complete Series Blu-ray

Release date: August 2, 2022

[Show spoiler]
Quote:
Bonus features: 20-Page Booklet Featuring Character Artwork, Prologue, Sneak Preview, TV Spot

PREORDER: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B26VRDWW
Now available for preorder from TRSI:

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Nadia...-Water-Blu-ray
Old 06-02-2022, 05:28 AM   #40

Apr 2021

Quote:
What do they mean by "Prologue", is it a prequel short or something?

Regardless, I really regret blind-buying the Sentai release a few years ago, which I still haven't watched.

[Show spoiler]
They couldnít have even included the omoke shorts, let alone the movie? Yeah, neither arenít anything great (the movie in particular), but at least itíd be something Iíd actually see people wanting to be included (honestly who gives a shit about some stupid booklet?).
Iíll likely preorder it, but this just reaffirms my opinion that Gkids should stick with the newer anime stuff.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime