Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Top Gun: 2 Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$38.99

Neon Genesis Evangelion (Blu-ray)
AU$60.45

Sailor Moon - Complete Series (Blu-ray)
AU$175.91

Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$14.99
13 hrs ago
Everything Everywhere All at Once 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$20.99

Top Gun: Maverick 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$25.99

Bullet Train 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$25.99

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$36.98

Nope 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$24.74

Top Gun: 2 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
AU$25.99

Thor: Love and Thunder 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$17.99

Pulp Fiction 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$20.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia

Old 08-11-2022, 09:06 AM   #21

Jan 2010
Australia

Why is there no bar-code on the OZ blu-ray?
Old 08-11-2022, 09:09 AM   #22

Aug 2009
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbald View Post
Why is there no bar-code on the OZ blu-ray?
This isn’t the individual release, it’s the one that came in the Definitive Collection from Random Space Media.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:13 AM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubElement View Post
Very positive unless my bluray player (Panasonic UB-820) is somehow misreading the video feed. It states the video is 1080p/24 as per the photos attached. I even just tested a known 1080i50 disc (The Inbetweeners) to make sure the player can signal this disc type and it reads as 1080i/50 in the info screen.

I can't see anywhere on the case for Caprica that lists a total runtime, but the first episode runtime is 49:14. See photo attached.

I should also mention that this disc is seemingly mastered specifically for Australia, as it has an Australia "anti piracy film jobs" video after the Universal logo at the start, so they aren't just repackaging another region's disc.

If there is anything further I can do to verify please let me know.

Edit: Bonus back cover for your perusal.
Thanks man for going to that trouble. There is no way your Panny could convert a 1080i/50 disc to 1080p24, as you rightly pointed out with the In-betweeners.

Interestingly, the first episode runtime appears to be the pilot split in two. As seen on this NZ streaming website, which would have PAL runtimes. https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/caprica/episodes/s1-e1

There was a “90 minute” pilot (2 hours with commercials). The one that aired on SyFy was edited for basic cable. The unrated cut, which came to “DVD only” initially, and is on thankfully on the French and German Blu-Ray, shows a lot more orgy scenes (and I think the initial scene might be slightly gorier). I am hoping they may have used the Unrated footage and split the eps in two for international releases.

The Unrated vs. TV edit issue may be the only fracking issue. Will definitely try and pick this one up. The Aussie dizzy is actually sitting on a small gold mine. There would be more than a few BSG devotees from the US wanting to pick this up, if it is Region Free. However, it is interesting that you noted the “Anti-Piracy” message, which is sometimes coded 1080i/50 to frack with US players.

Pity I couldn’t justify picking up the all encompassing BSG set with Caprica (and I never thought it would have 1080p24 coding), but it looks like I will get the chance to purchase a copy from Sanity or directly from Random Space media. Will order ASAP.

Thanks again SE. May the Gods be with you.
Thanks given by:
SubElement (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 10:06 AM   #24
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia

I've just ordered a copy as well, definitely curious to see what the deal is with the pilot split in two but otherwise I think this should be all good.
Thanks given by:
Rick Grimes (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 11:06 AM   #25

Aug 2009
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Grimes View Post
Thanks man for going to that trouble. There is no way your Panny could convert a 1080i/50 disc to 1080p24, as you rightly pointed out with the In-betweeners.
No problems. Definitely didn't think the Panny would doing some weird conversion, that would be wild, more so that it may not read format correctly.

Quote:
Interestingly, the first episode runtime appears to be the pilot split in two. As seen on this NZ streaming website, which would have PAL runtimes. https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/caprica/episodes/s1-e1

There was a “90 minute” pilot (2 hours with commercials). The one that aired on SyFy was edited for basic cable. The unrated cut, which came to “DVD only” initially, and is on thankfully on the French and German Blu-Ray, shows a lot more orgy scenes (and I think the initial scene might be slightly gorier). I am hoping they may have used the Unrated footage and split the eps in two for international releases.
Yeah I should have mentioned this, definitely split in two. If it helps the second episode runtime is 41:15 which includes a "previously on" and "credits. That would bring the episode length to 1:30:29, so looks like that lines up with the two hour pilot, just been split up.

Quote:
The Unrated vs. TV edit issue may be the only fracking issue. Will definitely try and pick this one up. The Aussie dizzy is actually sitting on a small gold mine. There would be more than a few BSG devotees from the US wanting to pick this up, if it is Region Free. However, it is interesting that you noted the “Anti-Piracy” message, which is sometimes coded 1080i/50 to frack with US players.
The anti piracy message is in 1080p/24.

Quote:
Pity I couldn’t justify picking up the all encompassing BSG set with Caprica (and I never thought it would have 1080p24 coding), but it looks like I will get the chance to purchase a copy from Sanity or directly from Random Space media. Will order ASAP.

Thanks again SE. May the Gods be with you.
Yeah, definitely pick up the stand alone release and you're more than welcome! May the Gods be with you too!
Thanks given by:
Rick Grimes (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 12:04 PM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubElement View Post
No problems. Definitely didn't think the Panny would doing some weird conversion, that would be wild, more so that it may not read format correctly.

Yeah I should have mentioned this, definitely split in two. If it helps the second episode runtime is 41:15 which includes a "previously on" and "credits. That would bring the episode length to 1:30:29, so looks like that lines up with the two hour pilot, just been split up.

The anti piracy message is in 1080p/24.

Yeah, definitely pick up the stand alone release and you're more than welcome! May the Gods be with you too!
Thanks given by:
SubElement (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 12:46 PM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012

One last thing… It looks like it isn’t the Unrated Pilot that they’ve split in two.

From the shot SubElement provided (previous page), it appears to be opening to the broadcast.

Here is the Movie-Censorship.com comparison that shows the difference in the first few seconds of the opening scenes of Caprica (Unrated Pilot vs. Broadcast of the Pilot), planet in background vs. black screen.

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=466479

Not a deal breaker, by any means. However, would have been ideal to have both OR in a perfect world, a mixture… With the CGI of SyFy’s broadcast and the additional sex & violence of the Unrated.

BTW, anyone new to Caprica, don’t look too hard at the finale’s CGI or for too long. It looks incomplete. Anyone else notice the poor CGI in the finale?

Since they cancelled Caprica (huge mistake IMO) before the second half of S1 aired, they pulled the show with 5 eps left to be broadcast. The final 5 eps were played back to back (I believe is is known in the broadcast world as a “burnoff”), on a Friday night and in retrospect, it seems they hadn’t completed the CGI for the finale before the cancellation announcement.
The crowd looks half finished in parts and the Cylons look like they require more VFX work and are still in draft mode. A show of that caliber didn’t deserve such treatment (it was good enough to be mentioned by Randy in South Park).
Thanks given by:
SubElement (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 01:11 PM   #28

Aug 2009
Australia

Quote:
One last thing… It looks like it isn’t the Unrated Pilot that they’ve split in two.

From the shot SubElement provided (previous page), it appears to be opening to the broadcast.

Here is the Movie-Censorship.com comparison that shows the difference in the first few seconds of the opening scenes of Caprica (Unrated Pilot vs. Broadcast of the Pilot), planet in background vs. black screen.

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=466479

Not a deal breaker, by any means. However, would have been ideal to have both OR in a perfect world, a mixture… With the CGI of SyFy’s broadcast and the additional sex & violence of the Unrated.

BTW, anyone new to Caprica, don’t look too hard at the finale’s CGI or for too long. It looks incomplete. Anyone else notice the poor CGI in the finale?

Since they cancelled Caprica (huge mistake IMO) before the second half of S1 aired, they pulled the show with 5 eps left to be broadcast. The final 5 eps were played back to back (I believe is is known in the broadcast world as a “burnoff”), on a Friday night and in retrospect, it seems they hadn’t completed the CGI for the finale before the cancellation announcement.
The crowd looks half finished in parts and the Cylons look like they require more VFX work and are still in draft mode. A show of that caliber didn’t deserve such treatment (it was good enough to be mentioned by Randy in South Park).
Yeah it would have been nice to have both on there, but so be it. Dare I say that I would probably take the improved CGI over the (what seems like) very slightly extended and edited scenes.

Either way, the 1080p/24 and DTS HD MA of this release more than makes up for that realistically very small shortcoming.
Thanks given by:
Rick Grimes (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 02:49 PM   #29
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia

Yeah, honestly I prefer the TV version of the pilot anyway - completed effects, as mentioned, but the fact that they threw in nudity and levels of violence in the pilot that they would have known they wouldn't get away with if they went to series kind of sticks out like a sore thumb.

If you go from the unrated pilot into the rest of the series it just seems bizarre that they had these orgy scenes replete with nudity in the pilot before the show suddenly becomes tamer. I feel the same way about the shower scene in BSG: The Plan - why'd they even bother? It just means we have this one weird moment of nudity across the entirety of the show, and it feels silly because of it.
Thanks given by:
astyanax (09-19-2022), Rick Grimes (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 03:11 AM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfingerboogie View Post
Yeah, honestly I prefer the TV version of the pilot anyway - completed effects, as mentioned, but the fact that they threw in nudity and levels of violence in the pilot that they would have known they wouldn't get away with if they went to series kind of sticks out like a sore thumb.

If you go from the unrated pilot into the rest of the series it just seems bizarre that they had these orgy scenes replete with nudity in the pilot before the show suddenly becomes tamer. I feel the same way about the shower scene in BSG: The Plan - why'd they even bother? It just means we have this one weird moment of nudity across the entirety of the show, and it feels silly because of it.
I’m just never a fan of censorship. Especially since outside the US, all Region B copies of The Walking Dead Season 1 have 40 seconds of gore cut, with the exception of the German Uncut Special Edition (which is ironic since it was initially the German FSK board that demanded the cuts for their 18 rating, then they subsequently changed their mind).

NSFW (Episode 4 has the biggest cuts) and contains spoilers (as does cuts to Ep 5):

TWD Episode 2: https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=949636

TWD Episode 3: https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=669769

TWD Episode 4: https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=179730

TWD Episode 5: https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=828387

And at least with BSG/Caprica the “Frak” replacement at least gave some freedom to the screenplay. The Walking Dead was neutered, especially following the intro of Negan, apart from the uncut Season 6 Finale. Further “unrated” cuts were promised on Blu-Ray, but never materialised.

TWD Season 6 Finale Unrated vs. Standard: https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=596638

Final thought with BSG, similar to The Plan and Caprica Unrated Pilot, there was also Razor and several episodes throughout the series that has “Unrated” versions, including, for example, “Islanded in a Stream of Stars”.

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=912689
Thanks given by:
badfingerboogie (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 05:06 AM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Final thought with BSG, similar to The Plan and Caprica Unrated Pilot, there was also Razor and several episodes throughout the series that has “Unrated” versions, including, for example, “Islanded in a Stream of Stars”.

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=912689
I feel like the situation is a bit different for episodes like Islanded, though - these are just extended producers/director's cuts of the episodes that were presented on the Blu-ray set, as opposed to cuts made due to stronger content levels. They would have always known what kind of timeslot they were going to have, so they always needed to get episodes down to that 45-ish minute mark, but the Blu set allowed for episodes like this, or Unfinished Business, or the supersized Daybreak to be released for fans.

There's no additional nudity or (usually) gore for these episodes (including Razor, for memory), but the unrated version of The Plan just casually throws in that shower scene, seemingly for the heck of it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have been totally fine with the unrated version of the Caprica pilot, too - the more, the merrier when it comes to this world - but I can certainly still enjoy the broadcast cut, in this case.

(Also, don't get me started on how out of place Negan swearing his head off in the TWD season 6 finale now seems - did they even include the broadcast cut of that episode on the Blu? I really can't recall.)

Last edited by badfingerboogie; 08-12-2022 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-17-2022, 12:13 PM   #32

Nov 2010

I'd never seen this two-part version of the pilot before. It's an odd one, it seems like a completely abitrary slice-job. The first ep just ends on an ad-break fade to black, not a particularly dramatic "To Be Continued!" moment at all.

Slightly bummed that it's not the single ep version, but I'll live. Glad to have the series at all on Blu.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:47 AM   #33

May 2017
Limerick Ireland

So has it now been well confirmed that this is finally a real 1080p release of Caprica which the discs themselfs have been available since last year in the Battlestar Galactica definitive collection set but only now is this Australian version of Caprica getting its own single release.

But im not sure has it also been confirmed that this Australian version of the Caprica series has dropped the commentary tracks which there was many of them on the European versions of this set.

What a silly thing to do if they couldn't be bothered to include the commentary tracks.
Even though it doesn't say about them on the back of the box.

But is it true or not?
Old 08-18-2022, 03:49 AM   #34

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAON View Post
So has it now been well confirmed that this is finally a real 1080p release of Caprica which the discs themselfs have been available since last year in the Battlestar Galactica definitive collection set but only now is this Australian version of Caprica getting its own single release.

But im not sure has it also been confirmed that this Australian version of the Caprica series has dropped the commentary tracks which there was many of them on the European versions of this set.
I have the Australian release of the Battlestar Galactica Definitive Collection from last year and I can confirm that the Caprica discs in that collection do not have the audio commentaries. Assuming this new release is just a separate packaging of those same discs, the commentaries would be missing.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:19 PM   #35
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Cora View Post
I'd never seen this two-part version of the pilot before. It's an odd one, it seems like a completely abitrary slice-job. The first ep just ends on an ad-break fade to black, not a particularly dramatic "To Be Continued!" moment at all.

Slightly bummed that it's not the single ep version, but I'll live. Glad to have the series at all on Blu.
Yeah, I just received my copy today and had a look at that - very strange. The second ep opens with a "Previously on Caprica" clip, but it's edited differently to how they're usually handled - none of the character names appear like they usually do, for example. Then, the episode opens on the exact same 'CAPRICA, 58 years before the fall' shot from the first ep, and we just arbitrarily cut to the next scene in the pilot with the same credits from part 1 appearing.

Anyway, for anyone that might have had further questions:

Yes, it's 1080p, with no speedup.

Audio is DTS-HD MA 5.1.

Discs are pressed, not burned.

No unrated footage is used for the pilot 2-parter, it's culled completely from the TV cut.

All the commentaries have been dropped.

It's four BD-50s, though weirdly enough they cram 4.5 hours worth of episodes on disc 1, and only 2.5 hours onto disc 4.

All the special features are then included on disc 4, so that means you can't watch the episode-specific deleted scenes or video blogs on an episode by episode basis without switching to disc 4 each time.

Was there anything else that needed to be checked?
Thanks given by:
Rick Grimes (08-26-2022), veyron (08-19-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 11:48 PM   #36

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfingerboogie View Post
Then, the episode opens on the exact same 'CAPRICA, 58 years before the fall' shot from the first ep
Except strangely, it's not. They recreated that original shot using different lettering. It appears to be the same typeface, just stretched vertically. (Or the original was squashed vertically, not sure.) The 58 Years text is the same, but CAPRICA is different. And the drop shadow is mostly gone too. Seems like more work than just dropping in the original shot.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:53 AM   #37
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Cora View Post
Except strangely, it's not. They recreated that original shot using different lettering. It appears to be the same typeface, just stretched vertically. (Or the original was squashed vertically, not sure.) The 58 Years text is the same, but CAPRICA is different. And the drop shadow is mostly gone too. Seems like more work than just dropping in the original shot.
That's just bizarre, frankly. I assume the edit was created years ago for replays on Syfy or international networks who were looking to licence the show, so I'm guessing someone just threw the cuts together in like an afternoon. Still, if they were being lazy, then surely just copy-pasting the shot from episode 1's opening would make more sense.

Weird stuff.
Old 09-18-2022, 11:38 AM   #38

Mar 2011

Well crap. I was going to buy the Australian set, but the missing unrated pilot is very unfortunate. I can deal with removing commentaries and the isolated soundtrack, but there is literally no logical reason as to why the pilot was handled this way. If I were to get this, I would have to start with the French pilot, which would become annoying.

Last edited by User897; 09-18-2022 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-18-2022, 11:54 PM   #39

Mar 2011

Does anyone know what version of the pilot is on the Swedish 5-disc set?
Old 09-18-2022, 11:59 PM   #40
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by User897 View Post
Does anyone know what version of the pilot is on the Swedish 5-disc set?
It's the same runtime as the French and German sets.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia