Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Top Gun: 2 Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$38.99

Sailor Moon - Complete Series (Blu-ray)
AU$175.91

Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$14.99
13 hrs ago
Neon Genesis Evangelion (Blu-ray)
AU$60.45

Everything Everywhere All at Once 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$20.99

Top Gun: Maverick 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$25.99

Bullet Train 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$25.99

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$36.98

Nope 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$24.74

Top Gun: 2 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
AU$25.99

Thor: Love and Thunder 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$17.99

Doctor Who: The Collection - Season 24 Blu-ray (Blu-ray)
AU$43.83

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 09-26-2022, 12:44 PM   #1

Apr 2014
Default Sailor Moon - Complete BluRay Collection

Hi guys,

I just found out this is coming out next month. Does anyone know if it is the uncensored version from Japan? Or is it the censored version that went to the USA?

Here is an article on the different versions:

https://www.thegamer.com/ways-sailor...ed-in-america/

https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/...imited-edition

Also, does anyone know which version ran on ĎCheez TVí in Australia on weekday mornings back in mid-late 90ís?
Old 09-26-2022, 08:33 PM   #2
Power Member

Oct 2016
Australia

It aired on Agro's Cartoon Connection not Cheez TV, it's clearly the uncensored edition and newer English dub.

The DIC English dub aired on Agro's, there was no differences unlike Cardcaptor Sakura on Cheez TV which dubbed the OG Themes.

Last edited by kuzronk; 09-26-2022 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:13 AM   #3

Jan 2011

I am pretty sure the old DIC dub has been consigned to the dustbin of history (allegedly Naoko Takeuchi was not a fan of the changes) so all the releases you can find nowadays are uncut and including the final season, with a new English dub. Madman's boxset will be the same discs as their individual season blurays from a few years back - these are all uncut and with the original Japanese audio.

If you want to get pedantic about video, the picture quality for the first 3 seasons may be better on the Australian DVD release than Blu-ray, since for those Madman used the video masters from the Italian release, whereas the Blu-ray uses Toei's fairly heavily noise-reduced upscale. Either is better than the US release which used Viz's own somewhat dodgy upscale for the first 3 seasons before switching to Toei's for season 4. But in terms of having an un-messed-with version in terms of content either way is fine.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:37 AM   #4

Mar 2018
Australia

I grew up on the original dubbed version (Terri Hawkes will forever be *my* Serena/Usagi). It was - I seem to recall - actually the highest rated show to run on Agro's Cartoon Connection, and I remember setting the VCR every morning before I headed off to school.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:22 AM   #5

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayGuy2018 View Post
I grew up on the original dubbed version (Terri Hawkes will forever be *my* Serena/Usagi). It was - I seem to recall - actually the highest rated show to run on Agro's Cartoon Connection, and I remember setting the VCR every morning before I headed off to school.
Yes, this is the version that I watched, is there a reason they used a new dub? And Iím guessing the old dub wonít be on the BluRay?
Old 09-27-2022, 09:53 PM   #6
Power Member

Oct 2016
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfan1986 View Post
Yes, this is the version that I watched, is there a reason they used a new dub? And Iím guessing the old dub wonít be on the BluRay?
Since the 90s dub was heavily edited to "English it" and to do stuff like replace the lesbian scout and stuff. Even if the blu-ray had the old English dub it wouldn't fit within the episode due to stuff like the PSAs at the end.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:57 PM   #7

Mar 2018
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfan1986 View Post
Yes, this is the version that I watched, is there a reason they used a new dub? And I’m guessing the old dub won’t be on the BluRay?
From what I understand, there were whole scenes (and even a few whole episodes?) skipped when the show was originally dubbed and streamlined for its' run in the 90's. This couldn't be fixed without going back and re-dubbing the whole thing. And it is said that the show's original creator, Nakao Takeuchi, wasn't happy with the changes made in that first translation.
Thanks given by:
kuzronk (09-28-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 10:41 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayGuy2018 View Post
From what I understand, there were whole scenes (and even a few whole episodes?) skipped when the show was originally dubbed and streamlined for its' run in the 90's. This couldn't be fixed without going back and re-dubbing the whole thing. And it is said that the show's original creator, Nakao Takeuchi, wasn't happy with the changes made in that first translation.
The 90s English language run also only covered the first few seasons so if they wanted to release the entire show they would still need to create a new dub for the rest of the series.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:40 AM   #9

Mar 2018
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
The 90s English language run also only covered the first few seasons so if they wanted to release the entire show they would still need to create a new dub for the rest of the series.
Yes. I seem to recall the show ending abruptly during it's run on "Agro", right after Rini transformed into 'Wicked Lady'.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:31 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
Melbourne, Australia

I much prefer the original dub, and so does my young sister.
Old 11-06-2022, 12:58 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012

I have the movie collection. Is the PQ for the series on blu ray about the same or is it different because the movies were sourced from film?
Old 11-07-2022, 04:43 AM   #12

Nov 2022

so if they wanted to release the entire show
Old 11-07-2022, 10:57 AM   #13
Expert Member

Aug 2019
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
I have the movie collection. Is the PQ for the series on blu ray about the same or is it different because the movies were sourced from film?
The movies look better, though those too appear to have DNR applied, likely because Toei have used existing masters instead of going back to the source.

The series is watchable, but the quality isn't amazing, and Madman's DVDs of Seasons 1-3 are arguably superior. As soon as I popped in the season one Blu-ray, it did not even remotely look like it was from a native film source, and I struggled to note any improvement in quality.

And if this was some cynical attempt to get us to double/triple dip on a film-sourced restoration in the future, then it's working.

Either way, I'm still super glad to have finally seen (and own) the entire series uncensored, but a part of me still yearns for what could have been.
Old 11-08-2022, 12:57 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012

Yeah, the movies look completely grain managed and re coloured to be more in line with modern animation. But I found I enjoyed it. As long as the series has a similar kind of revisionism and isnít a huge step down I think Iíll give them a go when thereís a decent discount.
Thanks given by:
SillyG (11-09-2022)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia