Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 2 (1983-1993) (Blu-ray)
$80.99
1 day ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Vol. 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.99

The Walking Dead: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99
1 day ago
Halloween Ends 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
12 hrs ago
Heart of Dragon (Blu-ray)
$26.99
1 day ago
Black Adam 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99
12 hrs ago
Memoirs of a Geisha (Blu-ray)
$6.99
18 hrs ago
The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

The Conjuring Universe 7-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.35
1 day ago
Bodies Bodies Bodies (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Halloween Ends (Blu-ray)
$17.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Way of the Water box office predictions
Under 1 billion 18 18.75%
1 billion to 1.5 billion 21 21.88%
1.5 billion to 2 billion 22 22.92%
More than two billion 35 36.46%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2022, 05:30 AM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctujackbauer View Post
Looking at the seating charts, advanced ticket sales look shockingly soft at the moment. 3D, premium format, standard format - doesn't seem to matter. Perhaps the first Avatar movie's cultural impact wasn't that big.

Domestic opening: $140 million
Domestic total: $595 million
Worldwide total: $1.4 billion
It does have the underpublicized issue that while many theaters are showing it, only Dolby and a subset of IMAX theaters are showing it in the way that it is meant to be seen.

I don't know why Disney is so joined at the hip with IMAX these days, but this debacle is serious enough that there's a case to be made that Avatar 2 should only release in those select IMAX and Dolby theaters.
Old 11-23-2022, 06:19 AM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009

More than 2 billion easy peasy.
Old 11-23-2022, 06:27 AM   #23
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

I think it will do over 2 Billion but ultimately i hope it does become the highest grossing movie of all time.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:17 AM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2009
Netherlands

Over 2 billion for sure. Even if the story will be thin as paper.

It's 13 years later and there are new sceneries to gaze at. CGI has improved to be wowed once again. 3D will be strong.
Kids will see this over and over.

Adding the fact that China did about 10% of the international box office back in 2009, surely it will do a lot more. China loves these kinds of movies.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:59 AM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socko View Post
Over 2 billion for sure. Even if the story will be thin as paper.

It's 13 years later and there are new sceneries to gaze at. CGI has improved to be wowed once again. 3D will be strong.
Kids will see this over and over.

Adding the fact that China did about 10% of the international box office back in 2009, surely it will do a lot more. China loves these kinds of movies.
Sadly, it does seem that when movies are made for the Chinese box office by Hollywood that they become, well, intellectually stunted. Crazy phenomenon, most unfortunate.

Although if that means more action and 3D vistas, and less faffing about and endless exposition then maybe that could be a silver lining.
Old 11-23-2022, 05:25 PM   #26
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2008
-

ĎAvatar: The Way of Waterí Tracking for $150M-$170M Domestic Box Office Opening

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...0f0740c6f56c40
Old 11-23-2022, 05:44 PM   #27

Oct 2014

I was going to say $1-1.5 billion, but then I remembered that Spider-Man: No Way Home made 1.9, and I can't imagine Avatar not being in that same neighborhood. Of course, a big part of it is going to be the length of the theatrical window. If Disney let's it play for several months before putting it out on streaming like Paramount did with Top Gun: Maverick, it should be able to at least approach $2 billion. But if it's already on Disney+ and HBO Max by February or March, all bets are off.
Old 11-23-2022, 06:25 PM   #28
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2015
The past.. or the future.

I'll say 1.5 - 2 billion. I reckon that's a safe bet.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:14 PM   #29
Special Member

Dec 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Looking at the seating charts, advanced ticket sales look shockingly soft at the moment. 3D, premium format, standard format - doesn't seem to matter. Perhaps the first Avatar movie's cultural impact wasn't that big.

Yeah exactly! Iíve never seen a Ďbigí movie have such soft presale ticket sales! Looking at my theater here in downtown montreal even Thursday night screening isnít sold out? 3 days after tickets went on sale. that's crazy to me.

I know the whole phenomenon of the first one is that it made money CONSISTENTLY across months. And not just ONE giant weekend. But I dunno. I feel like the hype just isnít there? Thereís like no conversation? I guess weíll see closer to release with reviews and word of mouth.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:30 PM   #30
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010

Its either going to be ginormous or Cameron may receive a big shock. I don't think there's much in the way if middle ground here.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:37 PM   #31
Special Member

Apr 2009

I'm not really sure about this. I'm not going to completely judge a 3+ hour movie based on a trailer, but right now the story looks very similar to the first one. Only now it will be two "tribes" learning to work together to win against the "invaders" when the first one was really one on one. We saw this story last time around, and this time the "frenzy" for 3D is long gone.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:38 PM   #32
Power Member

Nov 2018

I was thinking that if the movie is amazing they need to drop reviews early to increase the hype but apparently the embargo for social media is 12/6 and the one for full reviews is 12/13, just 2 days before the first shows.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:45 PM   #33
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darev View Post
I'm not really sure about this. I'm not going to completely judge a 3+ hour movie based on a trailer, but right now the story looks very similar to the first one. Only now it will be two "tribes" learning to work together to win against the "invaders" when the first one was really one on one. We saw this story last time around, and this time the "frenzy" for 3D is long gone.
Plus it cost more, plus it looks the same as the first tech wise, plus we are in a financial crisis, plus streaming wasn't the normal in 09, plus Cameron has had a few misfires since Avatar, plus now we know years later Avatar has practically zero cultural impact whereas people thought it would on the success of the first.

Personally I think this will do very well no matter the storytelling quality. The big test will be number 3. That's gonna drop a fair chunk I think.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:46 PM   #34
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2014

AVATAR 2 will be a movie event of this god forsaken, pathetic decade.

I know I, for sure, will need to see it atleast twice for $20+ per screening in IMAX and DOLBY. 3D or Not.

so will most.

$2B+ comfortably. I will be shell shocked if it stops short.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:34 PM   #35
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBlu_DaBaDee View Post
I was thinking that if the movie is amazing they need to drop reviews early to increase the hype but apparently the embargo for social media is 12/6 and the one for full reviews is 12/13, just 2 days before the first shows.
It's not screening for critics until 12/12.

Just noting it.
Old 11-24-2022, 01:23 AM   #36

Jun 2016
Sacramento, California

Depends on how good the movie is. Cameron said in a recent interview that this one is all about the characters, rather than the awe and spectacle...hoping for the best. Also, if there's one thing Cameron is good at, it's subverting expectations with a sequel. My guess is the trailers are setting us up to think it's like the first film, but there's going to be some massive twist/game changer during the film. I think this could be why it isn't screening for critics until late. Mitigate the damage spoilers can do to your box office take.

It'll also depend on how well it does in China, and what kind of legs it has in Europe and the U.S. Top Gun Maverick had insane legs and just kept going, similar to what Avatar did in 2009, it felt like it just kept going and going. Supposedly it needs around $2 billion for it to break even. I think it it'll stop short of taking in what the 1st film made, and end up around $2.5 billion...but then again underestimate James Cameron at your own peril. There's also the pandemic factor, and how comfortable people that haven't gone to the theater recently are with seeing it in big crowds...etc. which will factor in.
Old 11-24-2022, 03:26 AM   #37
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016

the first one had a zero percent drop from week one to week two. pre social media.

for all this talk about people acting like it didnít have an imprint, it just magically had the same amount of people the second week as the first. where as other stuff routinely drops 50-60% drops.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:08 PM   #38
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynn View Post
Is this the price for the bus to the theater?
just the convenience fee online tickets are costing these days
Thanks given by:
mwynn (11-24-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 03:22 AM   #39
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

The China BO may be in trouble. There are a number of lockdowns due to COVID. No way that gets fixed in 3 weeks.

China Recovery Set Back by Record Covid Outbreak as Lockdowns Spread

https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-r...ad-11669276266
Old 11-25-2022, 11:37 AM   #40
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:

The first one was a solid hit financially and a decent film overall. The problem is that itís been a LOOOOOOOOONG time since that film came out. Youíre talking like 13-14 years ago from the original to its first sequel. Thatís a galactic sized gap. Some interest has certainly waned. Movie goers have changed since then. They arenít as wowed by pretty pictures. Dunno, just feel like itís a damned long time. Why didnít he get to work on these sooner?

Itíll do a little over a billion which sounds crazy to say that might feel like it underperformed.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies