Best 4K Blu-ray Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Untouchables 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.98
7 hrs ago
True Romance 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99
21 hrs ago
Batman 4-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99
 
The Evil Dead Groovy Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.48
1 day ago
Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
 
Chernobyl 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.64
1 day ago
No Time to Die 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
 
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.87
12 hrs ago
Bourne: The Ultimate Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99
 
Wild Things 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.99
 
Zack Snyder's Justice League 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
 
The Green Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.95
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 4K Ultra HD > 4K Ultra HD Players, Hardware and News

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM   #10461
HeavyHitter HeavyHitter is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
HeavyHitter's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
3
94
Default

You really have to do a true A/B comparison with the same scene regarding Netflix vs UHD BD on Oppo. If there is still a Netflix improvement, my guess is something with settings.

Re: upscaling. I did do a comparison the other night with the 820 and my NP5. I looked at the Spears and Munsil 1080p BD disc and one of the 1080p AVS test patterns. I sent 1080p from the 820 and let the JVC upscale and then compared to letting the 820 upscale to 4K. The 820 upscaling to 4K was superior on chroma and luma patterns. Text might have been a hair sharper too. No difference really with that high freq ringing. I would need to do more testing to see if this is just how the 820 operates (optimized for 4K output vs 1080p) and/or it's just superior to the JVC upscaling. Either way, letting the 820 upscale to 4K with the JVC is superior in this case. I did leave all of the Panasonic settings to default.

Last edited by HeavyHitter; Yesterday at 03:42 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
DaViD Boulet (Yesterday), pbz06 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM   #10462
Wormicide Wormicide is offline
Member
 
Aug 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterXDTV View Post
Just buy a Sony X700 Player for the same money. Perfect DV playback

It's also a much better USB media player
Thatís a thought but Iíd like something that doesnít freeze up on 100gb discs
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
RealisticBotMan (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM   #10463
pbz06 pbz06 is offline
Special Member
 
Nov 2009
267
576
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
I currently have an Oppo 203 (and a JVC projector with built-in tone mapping). Does the Panasonic 9000 offer any picture quality advantages? Either with native 4K HDR content (maybe improved chroma upscaling etc.?) or with upscaling 1080P or DVD sources? I've found myself surprised quite a few times watching 4K Netflix content on my PS5 and how it often subjectively "looks better" to my eyes than many UHD discs (better color, more detailed, more natural/organic overall image quality) and so I'm wondering if my Oppo is really delivering the best image possible. (this weekend I plan to do some in-depth testing with playing UHD discs on the PS5 and also verify every variable at play).
I currently have a UB9000 and a PS5, and previously had an Oppo 203 (sold). This is on a 77 Sony A9G so my observations and opinions may not be applicable to a projector. Talking big picture picture quality, the Panny and Oppo are 1a and 1b. The Panny has slightly better chroma upsampling and a hair sharper upscaling (and more ringing?). Features like the HDR Optimizer come in handy as a tool to play around with, and from what I hear their HDR to SDR conversion is top notch. Apparently it does suck with DVD deinterlacing, but I haven't watched a DVD in over a decade.

However, I much preferred Oppo's UI look and feel, and also some minor video settings that allow you to send 4:2:2 10-bit for example.

Either way, unless you have them side by side and are pixel peeping, it's a wash and both are in the upper tier.

With the PS5, I'm likely going to get heat for this but I also found it to be top notch and just about equal quality. Most people online are sensationalistic and just copy paste "omg the panny is so much better, not even close" and ironically enough either they don't own a PS5 nor tested it with S&M or test patterns. Its only shortcoming is no dolby vision support really. Unless I'm looking at the test patterns wrong, the chroma looks just as good as anything I've seen (flipping my TV setting between Custom which rolls off chroma anyway, and Graphics which maintains 4:4:4). When people get a new player like an 820, they expect to see massive differences and I'm sure they convince themselves they see it, the same way new speaker cables seem to magically make an audio signal more punchy/airy/dynamic/forward/walnuty lol. Nope.

In a blind test just watching a movie in motion, I'm convinced almost nobody except Geoff would be able to tell a difference from normal seating distance especially.

With that said, I do understand and believe the Panasonic is the best of the best (overall), just saying I see it more in the margins and I wouldn't push someone into FOMO territory to make them feel they need to "upgrade" if they are already happy with a PS5.

Last edited by pbz06; Yesterday at 04:20 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
DaViD Boulet (Yesterday), Geoff D (Yesterday), HeavyHitter (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM   #10464
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray Emperor
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
852
2081
5
33
Default

Dude, without scrutinising test patterns I highly doubt I could tell any of the major marques apart for BD and UHD playback, and that includes the consoles (though didn't the Xbox have an issue with 23.98 output at 24 or something like that?). As you say, it's when people are like "OMG this player DESTROYS my [whatever], there's so much more colour and detail!" that I can't help but roll dem eyes.

For DVD playback then I do think that the Panny 820/9000 line is demonstrably worse than any MediaTek-enabled equivalents, but hey, we keep getting trolled, uh, I mean, told that no-one watches DVD so that doesn't matter.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
chip75 (Yesterday), DJR662 (Today)
Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM   #10465
mkozlows mkozlows is offline
Member
 
Aug 2021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
For DVD playback then I do think that the Panny 820/9000 line is demonstrably worse than any MediaTek-enabled equivalents, but hey, we keep getting trolled, uh, I mean, told that no-one watches DVD so that doesn't matter.
Googling around for a minute tells me that the "best" DVD player is some Sony thing. It costs $39. I would request that everyone who is upset about the Panasonic's DVD playback pretend to themselves that it costs $539 instead of $500, and that it comes with a high-quality bespoke dedicated outboard playback unit, a level of dedication to the DVD format that blows away the competition.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
DaViD Boulet (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM   #10466
sapiendut sapiendut is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
sapiendut's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
Canada
2
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Dude, without scrutinising test patterns I highly doubt I could tell any of the major marques apart for BD and UHD playback, and that includes the consoles (though didn't the Xbox have an issue with 23.98 output at 24 or something like that?). As you say, it's when people are like "OMG this player DESTROYS my [whatever], there's so much more colour and detail!" that I can't help but roll dem eyes.

For DVD playback then I do think that the Panny 820/9000 line is demonstrably worse than any MediaTek-enabled equivalents, but hey, we keep getting trolled, uh, I mean, told that no-one watches DVD so that doesn't matter.
Yup. Because of this stupidity I still have my Sony 590, Sony 790, and Oppo 105D for DVD playback. I no longer have too many DVDs but I still want to be able to watch my DVD concerts and music videos in the best possible way.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM   #10467
PUsokrJosh305 PUsokrJosh305 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
PUsokrJosh305's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
8
110
475
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Not sure I follow. You are aware that the Optimiser changes the MaxFALL as well as the MaxCLL, yes? So when it's on the 1000 nit (OLED or Medium/High LCD) modes then the Optimiser will cap MaxCLL at 1000 nit and MaxFALL at 800 nit IF the content exceeds those figures. So if you had a disc which had MaxCLL of 1245 nits and MaxFALL of 1000 nits then turning on the Optimiser would change those to 1000 and 800 respectively. But for MaxFALL under 800 nits then it will leave it unchanged whilst capping the MaxCLL to 1000 if it still exceeds 1000 nits.

Does that make sense?
It makes perfect sense. I knew the Optimizer capped the MaxCLL but didn't realize it also caps the MaxFALL as well. I'm assuming the picture would look different if it was capped at 800 nits vs say 1,000 nits for the MaxFALL? This would explain why I see a bit of a difference between the HDR10 layer vs the Dolby Vision layer. That and the fact it's 12 bit vs 10 bit.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM   #10468
PUsokrJosh305 PUsokrJosh305 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
PUsokrJosh305's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
8
110
475
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
For DVD playback then I do think that the Panny 820/9000 line is demonstrably worse than any MediaTek-enabled equivalents, but hey, we keep getting trolled, uh, I mean, told that no-one watches DVD so that doesn't matter.
This is true. Just how Panasonic views streaming apps on their 4K UHD Players, DVD playback isn't really focused on. Should it be? Absolutely since you are paying $500-$1,000 for the player. But I will say, I don't play that many DVDs on my 820. But that's just me. Those of you who have 100's of DVDs expect a great player and Panasonic seems to be on the low end when it comes to DVD playback.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM   #10469
sapiendut sapiendut is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
sapiendut's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
Canada
2
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUsokrJosh305 View Post
This is true. Just how Panasonic views streaming apps on their 4K UHD Players, DVD playback isn't really focused on. Should it be? Absolutely since you are paying $500-$1,000 for the player. But I will say, I don't play that many DVDs on my 820. But that's just me. Those of you who have 100's of DVDs expect a great player and Panasonic seems to be on the low end when it comes to DVD playback.
I donít think Reavon and Pioneer have any of their players even have streaming capability and they are priced at $1000 - $2000
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM   #10470
bhampton bhampton is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
bhampton's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
502
1974
22
348
5
18
BJ's Wholesale Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapiendut View Post
I don’t think Reavon and Pioneer have any of their players even have streaming capability and they are priced at $1000 - $2000
Considering the Panasonic's streaming abilities .....

I would rather my disc player not have streaming abilities.

I even like DVD play back on my Panasonic UB9000. For a DVD, it looks really good.

I realized I didn't have a copy of Wolf Creek so I started seeking one and found it streaming for $10 and on DVD for $3. I decided I would get the DVD and the HD streaming copy but after watching the DVD I never bothered getting the HD streaming version.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Compson (Today)
Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM   #10471
panasonicst60 panasonicst60 is offline
Special Member
 
panasonicst60's Avatar
 
Sep 2016
172
334
11
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
I currently have a UB9000 and a PS5, and previously had an Oppo 203 (sold). This is on a 77 Sony A9G so my observations and opinions may not be applicable to a projector. Talking big picture picture quality, the Panny and Oppo are 1a and 1b. The Panny has slightly better chroma upsampling and a hair sharper upscaling (and more ringing?). Features like the HDR Optimizer come in handy as a tool to play around with, and from what I hear their HDR to SDR conversion is top notch. Apparently it does suck with DVD deinterlacing, but I haven't watched a DVD in over a decade.

However, I much preferred Oppo's UI look and feel, and also some minor video settings that allow you to send 4:2:2 10-bit for example.

Either way, unless you have them side by side and are pixel peeping, it's a wash and both are in the upper tier.

With the PS5, I'm likely going to get heat for this but I also found it to be top notch and just about equal quality. Most people online are sensationalistic and just copy paste "omg the panny is so much better, not even close" and ironically enough either they don't own a PS5 nor tested it with S&M or test patterns. Its only shortcoming is no dolby vision support really. Unless I'm looking at the test patterns wrong, the chroma looks just as good as anything I've seen (flipping my TV setting between Custom which rolls off chroma anyway, and Graphics which maintains 4:4:4). When people get a new player like an 820, they expect to see massive differences and I'm sure they convince themselves they see it, the same way new speaker cables seem to magically make an audio signal more punchy/airy/dynamic/forward/walnuty lol. Nope.

In a blind test just watching a movie in motion, I'm convinced almost nobody except Geoff would be able to tell a difference from normal seating distance especially.

With that said, I do understand and believe the Panasonic is the best of the best (overall), just saying I see it more in the margins and I wouldn't push someone into FOMO territory to make them feel they need to "upgrade" if they are already happy with a PS5.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
pbz06 (Today)
Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM   #10472
sapiendut sapiendut is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
sapiendut's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
Canada
2
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
Considering the Panasonic's streaming abilities .....

I would rather my disc player not have streaming abilities.

I even like DVD play back on my Panasonic UB9000. For a DVD, it looks really good.

I realized I didn't have a copy of Wolf Creek so I started seeking one and found it streaming for $10 and on DVD for $3. I decided I would get the DVD and the HD streaming copy but after watching the DVD I never bothered getting the HD streaming version.
Disc players should just be disc players. There is not a single player that I have tried that I want to use their streaming capability, or lack thereof.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (Yesterday)
Old Today, 12:46 AM   #10473
andrewl923 andrewl923 is online now
Active Member
 
andrewl923's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Bay Area
64
457
Default

Been waiting for months for the UB820 to drop to $400, does this go on sale often?
  Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:03 AM   #10474
chip75 chip75 is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
chip75's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Wales
149
2979
2145
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewl923 View Post
Been waiting for months for the UB820 to drop to $400, does this go on sale often?
Have you tried Best Buy's open box deals? just over $400 if there's stock in your area.
  Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:09 AM   #10475
andrewl923 andrewl923 is online now
Active Member
 
andrewl923's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Bay Area
64
457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Have you tried Best Buy's open box deals? just over $400 if there's stock in your area.
None anywhere near me.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
chip75 (Today)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 4K Ultra HD > 4K Ultra HD Players, Hardware and News

Tags
panasonic, ub820, ub9000, value electronics

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:20 AM.