Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

12 Days of Deals, Day 9 is Live »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99
2 hrs ago
Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$16.99
2 hrs ago
Audition (Blu-ray)
$29.33
1 hr ago
Mission: Impossible - Fallout 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
11 hrs ago
Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Crazy Rich Asians 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Mid90s (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Supergirl: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
19 hrs ago
BlacKkKlansman 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Gotham: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
11 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #1
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City
USA F. W. Murnau's The Haunted Castle (1921) / The Finances of the Grand Duke (1924)

Kino will be releasing a double-feature with two of F.W. Murnau's earlier films, The Haunted Castle (Schlo▀ Vogel÷d) (1921), and The Finances of the Grand Duke (Die Finanzen des Gro▀herzogs) (1924) on February 12th, 2019.

Quote:
The German The Haunted Castle (Schloss Vogelrod) has been described as director F.W. Murnau's "warm-up" for his subsequent Nosferatu. At this point in his career, Murnau was more interested in effects than in story or characterization, but those effects were among the best within the boundaries of Germany's "Caligari School." The cast included Paul Hartmann, Arnold Korff, Paul Bildt and Olga Tschenova. ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi
Quote:
Director F.W. Murnau and scriptwriter Thea von Harbou both took a change of pace from their usual dramas with this satiric farce about Grand Duke Don Ramon XX (Harry Liedtke), whose idyllic country is threatened by revolution. The troublemakers are a trio of conspirators, working with a corrupt financier who intends to convert the landscape into a profitable sulfur mine. Don Ramon comes close to being hanged, but is rescued by Olga (Mady Christians), the Grand Duchess of Russia, who loves him and agrees to pay off all his debts. A compromising love letter from Olga falls into the conspirators' hands, but she and Don Ramon, with the help of the adventurer Philip Collins (Alfred Abel) are able to set their affairs right. Note who plays one of the conspirators: Max Schreck, who starred as the hideous vampire in Murnau's horror classic Nosferatu. ~ Nicole Gagne, Rovi
Thanks given by:
JackSkellington (12-08-2018), MartinScorsesefan (12-08-2018), Michael24 (12-08-2018), movieben1138 (Yesterday), willtopower (Yesterday)
Old 12-08-2018, 07:13 PM   #2

Oct 2016
Central California

Yes!!! Murnau FTW!

Now we just need Burning Soil, Phantom, Tartuffe, and Journey into the Night on Blu-ray here in the US, and we'll have the full Murnau catalog. I believe Phantom and Tartuffe are currently on Blu-ray in the Murnau box set from Eureka, but that's a Region B locked set.

Last edited by JackSkellington; 12-08-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #3

Apr 2011
Montreal

Hopefully we'll get a complete Murnau silent box set like we did with Fritz Lang. Till then i"ll hold on to my Nosferatu and wait to buy any others.
Thanks given by:
JackSkellington (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 09:09 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
California

Awesome news! I dived into Murnau's films earlier this year (had previously only seen Nosferatu) and instantly became a fan. Grand Duke was probably my least-favorite, although I still liked it, but I really liked Haunted Castle. Can't wait to see these on Blu-ray.

Hopefully the remaining few films of his get released on Blu-ray as well.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:15 PM   #5

Oct 2016
Central California

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred25_Ca View Post
Hopefully we'll get a complete Murnau silent box set like we did with Fritz Lang. Till then i"ll hold on to my Nosferatu and wait to buy any others.
Now that would be awesome! All 11 films in one Blu-ray box set. I'd shell out a pretty penny for that.
Old Yesterday, 03:00 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2012
41.7325░ N, 49.9469░ W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
Awesome news! I dived into Murnau's films earlier this year (had previously only seen Nosferatu) and instantly became a fan. Grand Duke was probably my least-favorite, although I still liked it, but I really liked Haunted Castle. Can't wait to see these on Blu-ray.

Hopefully the remaining few films of his get released on Blu-ray as well.
I'd recommend going region free, especially for Nosferatu. Kino botched their Blu-ray release by dropping frames. The UK release is a proper 18fps to 24fps conversion.

https://www.brentonfilm.com/reviews/...y-kino-blu-ray
Old Yesterday, 03:24 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

If they make a set, they could take that opportunity to fix Nosferatu.

I believe they did just that, fixing a couple of stretched films for the Lang set. Not sure they ever did anything about the standalone releases.

Not ideal, effectively making the standalone releases worthless, but least that would be something for those of us that just want these issues fixed
Old Yesterday, 04:26 AM   #8

Oct 2016
Central California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Orlok View Post
I'd recommend going region free, especially for Nosferatu. Kino botched their Blu-ray release by dropping frames. The UK release is a proper 18fps to 24fps conversion.

https://www.brentonfilm.com/reviews/...y-kino-blu-ray
I watched the below video, and despite being a relatively short clip, I can't see a difference between the Kino and MoC releases.

Unless somebody does a 100th Anniversary Edition in a few years that overflows with bonus features and/or includes the James Bernard score as an audio option, the Kino release works for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there isn't an issue (there clearly is, according to the technical explanation on the site you provided), I'm just saying I don't visually see it. That's all.

Last edited by JackSkellington; Yesterday at 04:40 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2012
41.7325░ N, 49.9469░ W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSkellington View Post
I watched the below video, and despite being a relatively short clip, I can't see a difference between the Kino and MoC releases.

Nosferatu - Masters of Cinema vs. Kino Blu-ray Example - YouTube

Unless somebody does a 100th Anniversary Edition in a few years that overflows with bonus features and/or includes the James Bernard score as an audio option, the Kino release works for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there isn't an issue (there clearly is, according to the technical explanation on the site you provided), I'm just saying I don't visually see it. That's all.
James Bernard's score is available on the 2015 BFI Blu release.

That shot of Orlok checking out Hutter's cut isn't the best example of the issue because he's already slow. If he moved a bit faster, it would also look choppy.

The dropped frames are much easier to notice in panning shots or a scene with faster action. Once you see it, it can't be unseen.

This is a black and white upload of Kino's BD. Check out the shot of the ship at 49:39. It's choppy due to frame drop outs.

This is the Eureka release. To compare the shots, jump to 52:23.

The Eureka release is properly encoded from 18fps to 24fps without any stutter issues.

Another example from Kino. Watch Hutter being seated and demanding food.

Check out the scene starting at 13:53 below.

The same scene from the Eureka release begins at 13:02.

Last edited by Count Orlok; Yesterday at 11:31 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2012
41.7325░ N, 49.9469░ W

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
If they make a set, they could take that opportunity to fix Nosferatu.

I believe they did just that, fixing a couple of stretched films for the Lang set. Not sure they ever did anything about the standalone releases.

Not ideal, effectively making the standalone releases worthless, but least that would be something for those of us that just want these issues fixed
They won't fix them. They kept blaming other people for messing up the restoration itself rather than admitting they screwed up their own encode. If it was the restoration itself with the frame issues, it would be evident on every Nosferatu BD release around the world, save for the BFI release. This isn't the case. Kino is the only release with the problem.
Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM   #11

Nov 2014

Quote:
They won't fix them.
But Kino DID fix the Fritz Lang films, so AgentOrange’s supposition is entirely reasonable.

Anyway, if Kino wanted to really be heroes, they’d do non-24 fps silent films interlaced like they did with some of their early Blus so we could have legitimately smooth versions of these films, although I suspect the Murnau Stiftung delivers the masters in 24p so doing anything about it would be more complicated (and if you wanna talk about botches - the Murnau Stiftung really screwed up Lang’s Dr. Mabuse for Blu-Ray, totally blown out and coarsened up.) Criterion seems to be the only company that does the right thing with these types of films (Safety Last and some of the Lloyd shorts, Phantom Carriage, The 20 fps version of Joan of Arc - this is how it should be done!)
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM   #12

Oct 2016
Central California

Quote:
[Show spoiler]James Bernard's score is available on the 2015 BFI Blu release.

That shot of Orlok checking out Hutter's cut isn't the best example of the issue because he's already slow. If he moved a bit faster, it would also look choppy.

The dropped frames are much easier to notice in panning shots or a scene with faster action. Once you see it, it can't be unseen.

This is a black and white upload of Kino's BD. Check out the shot of the ship at 49:39. It's choppy due to frame drop outs.

Nosferatu (Blu-Ray HD Remastered Edition) 1922 - YouTube

This is the Eureka release. To compare the shots, jump to 52:23.

Nosferatu - 1922 (HD Remastered - English) - YouTube

The Eureka release is properly encoded from 18fps to 24fps without any stutter issues.

Another example from Kino. Watch Hutter being seated and demanding food.

Check out the scene starting at 13:53 below.

Nosferatu 1922 720p BluRay - YouTube

The same scene from the Eureka release begins at 13:02.

Nosferatu - 1922 (HD Remastered - English) - YouTube
Yeah, I knew the BFI version had Bernard's score, but I read that one had image quality and/or tinting issues. The only user review for it on this site claims missing frames and gave the overall image quality a 3.5. That's why I was hoping there would be a good US release with his score attached.

I have 20/15 vision, and I'm still struggling to see a difference between the two shots with the ship. Now, between the two shots when Hutter sits down at the table, I can barely see some choppyness on the Kino clip, whereas the MoC clip is a little smoother. It's not something that would make me throw out my Kino release in frustration, but I do kind of see the issue now. I'm fine with this one until a proper US release is done.

Thanks for the clips and info, though. I appreciate it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America