Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Lucifer: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$25.15
21 hrs ago
The Meg (Blu-ray)
$24.99
3 hrs ago
The Hitman's Bodyguard (Blu-ray)
$9.99
15 hrs ago
The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Barry Lyndon (Blu-ray)
$18.96
23 hrs ago
Sacrifice! (Blu-ray)
$6.90

The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 06-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #1

Jun 2008
Default what format do you think will store media 25, 50, 100 years from now?

They have this "holographic" optical disc tech that has a storage capacity of 1TB ... I think they already sell them or are trying to .... this tech does not have anything to do with holograms or 3D displays ... it just refers to how the data is stored on the disc or read from it.

I do not think magnetic hard drives will ever replace DVD or BD. The number 1 reason is that they are loud and always will be (even my fanless -- no fans at all -- external hard drive is louder than say my old DVD player, though not by much) and number 2 reason is that they, having moving parts, will always end up failing (law of physics).

What I am looking forward to should I live long enough to see it, is solid state storage. Imagine a future where an entire season's worth of the latest Showtime or HBO series was sold in stores on something resembling one of today's tiny USB flash drives. These would be very quiet, extremely reliable and durable, and take up so little space. Instead of having cases on a shelf, I guess you could put them in some kind of large key ring They already have 64GB USB flash drives. Who knows what the future may bring.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
Special Member

Feb 2008
Omaha

I think that in the future, media will be stored on bubble tape.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

Solid state is a bad idea.

If I leave the movie {or record or whatever} in my computer and it has a power surge, then it might even wipe out the movie as well and you're boned to buy another copy.

plus, with video rental stores it's another headache that they have to put up with, they'll likely want something that's disk related.

Logan
Old 06-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #4
Banned

Apr 2007

i guarentee that in 25 years the storage capacities that mankind will have are near infathomable to you today.

Put yourself in 1983 shoes. A 5MB HDD was HUGE. The thought of a Terabyte HDD wasn't even in the minds of something that was a reality to even tech geeks back then. They were thinking in the lines of 1-5 GB HDDs was the future. Now look at us today.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
Power Member

Jan 2008
Washington

It will be directly linked and stored on the human brain as we don't use that much percent of it anyways.. Some less than others!
Old 06-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #6

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-R View Post
It will be directly linked and stored on the human brain as we don't use that much percent of it anyways.. Some less than others!
I'm going to rent out space
Excessive Compulsive Ellipses Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffetfroid View Post
The chip on your shoulder is bigger than Godard's ego.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
oh dear its a crazy person
Old 06-23-2008, 05:26 PM   #7

Jun 2007
Calgary, Alberta

digital distribution's popularity will increase for years to come, but many people will always want a physical product. years into the future, when blu-ray has run it's course, i expect solid-state to be the next commercially saturated physical media format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedeath View Post
Solid state is a bad idea.

If I leave the movie {or record or whatever} in my computer and it has a power surge, then it might even wipe out the movie as well and you're boned to buy another copy.
electrical surges shouldn't even be an issue now, your media centre and computer should be behind surge bars anyways. anyone who loses expensive electrical equipment from an electrical surge has no one to blame but themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedeath View Post
plus, with video rental stores it's another headache that they have to put up with, they'll likely want something that's disk related.
improvements will be made so that concerns we have now about SSD will be a non-issue in the future and they'll only continue to get even cheaper. you won't go to a store and download a movie onto your flash drive, you'll just purchase/rent a read-only stick.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
Banned

Apr 2007

Quote:
if this is sarcasm, i don't think that your statement is going to be very far off.

i think that we will physically attach technology to our bodies within the next 50 years. and im not talking mark of the beast type finance system, but it could lead to that.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:07 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2008
The Swan Station aDdIcTeD 2 LOST PSN:U5MC51473
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine

I don't want to see blu-ray out of the picture for another 10 years! I'm fine with 50gb. TB...well bring on 2020.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" -- President Merkin Muffley/Dr. Strangelove

LG OLED55C6P 4K ~ 55" VIZIO 3D Razor LED M3D550KD
Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2/OPPO UDP-203 UltraHD
Panasonic DMP-BDT210 3D Blu-ray ~ PS4
DIRECTV HR54 Genie/C61K ~ Pioneer Center SP-C21
Old 06-23-2008, 11:10 PM   #10

Nov 2007

I think technology is accelerating at such a rapid pace that we can only imagine what storage will be even 10 years from now. By this time next year, 1TB will be even more affordable than it is now. In 5 years, 1 TB will be an average amount. I fully expect the next iPods to come out with a 1TB HDD available(eg. 320gb, 500gb, 750gb and 1 TB models). As far as solid state, I do think that is what storage will be in the near future. It is too small, portable, and convenient not to be. As far as optical discs, we've already heard about 100GB discs and the like. Imagine LOTR on one disc with 10 hours of uncompressed sound and video, all extras full HD. Entire seasons of TV shows on one disc would be enough to sell me one.

25 years from now....I'm sure it will be something that hasn't even been invented yet.
60g PS3
DirecTV HD-DVR
Klipsch Quintet III and Sub-10
Sony STR-DH810
Panasonic 50" G10 Plasma
Old 06-23-2008, 11:19 PM   #11
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstar1138 View Post
i guarentee that in 25 years the storage capacities that mankind will have are near infathomable to you today.

Put yourself in 1983 shoes. A 5MB HDD was HUGE. The thought of a Terabyte HDD wasn't even in the minds of something that was a reality to even tech geeks back then. They were thinking in the lines of 1-5 GB HDDs was the future. Now look at us today.
lol yeah I member the pentium times where we were getting 1-4's every few months and each one was like a shocker with the extra space... I think your right about that... we'll probly look back and say geez why did we ever use flash drives lol

oh does anyone remeber zip drives? lol when we had that I thought nothing could be better .

Last edited by supersix4; 06-23-2008 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:27 AM   #12
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

it won't be holographic disks but I have no idea what it will be
Old 06-24-2008, 01:34 AM   #13

Apr 2007
New Mexico

Hmmmm...after WWIII??? I don't really know, what kind did they use in Mad Max???
JVC 61FN97 61" 1080p
PS3 60GB
JVC RX-D412 Reciever

61 Blu-ray's and counting
Old 07-02-2008, 02:19 AM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

I think in One Hundred Years we might have the movie beamed right into our eyes.
When UHD Blu-ray comes lay of the DNR TCM OAR Atomic Data Storage Could Increase Capacity 1000x The Girl in the Spiders Web.
Kursk Physical media forever! Disney turn up your audio level "Your intellect may be confused, but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:26 AM   #15
Special Member

May 2008
Shadow Moses Islands

ya prolly beamed or just feed into ur brain lol, its impossible to say waht well c
Panasonic 42' Viera TH-42PZ700U (room)
Mitsubishi WD-65733 (Family Room)
40 GB PS3
50 BD's
Slider: Goose who's butt did you kiss to get in here anyway?
Goose: Well, the list is long, but distinguished.
Slider: Yeah, well so is my Johnson.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:27 AM   #16
Special Member

Aug 2007

floppy-ray

the flooopy disk version of blu-ray , it will store 70 terabytes only
Old 07-02-2008, 12:36 PM   #17
Special Member

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx11 View Post
floppy-ray

the flooopy disk version of blu-ray , it will store 70 terabytes only
I would want it to hold a few Yottabytes atleast!
Old 07-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #18
Banned

Jan 2008
Houston, TX
Send a message via AIM to arush5268d Send a message via Yahoo to arush5268d

Toshiba will upscale standard hard drives to hold 30 gajilionbytes of data.

At higher quality than Blu-ray
Old 07-02-2008, 03:06 PM   #19

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by zor View Post
They have this "holographic" optical disc tech that has a storage capacity of 1TB ... I think they already sell them or are trying to .... this tech does not have anything to do with holograms or 3D displays ... it just refers to how the data is stored on the disc or read from it.

I do not think magnetic hard drives will ever replace DVD or BD. The number 1 reason is that they are loud and always will be (even my fanless -- no fans at all -- external hard drive is louder than say my old DVD player, though not by much) and number 2 reason is that they, having moving parts, will always end up failing (law of physics).

What I am looking forward to should I live long enough to see it, is solid state storage. Imagine a future where an entire season's worth of the latest Showtime or HBO series was sold in stores on something resembling one of today's tiny USB flash drives. These would be very quiet, extremely reliable and durable, and take up so little space. Instead of having cases on a shelf, I guess you could put them in some kind of large key ring They already have 64GB USB flash drives. Who knows what the future may bring.
25 years - micro-solid state drives the size of a pin head.
50 years - Cybernetic implants
100 years - The MATRIX
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght and sides, Infinity fps-1000 rear and rear hght, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , 16:9 110", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2004
New Jersey

Quote:

I dunno, it didn't work out so well for Johnny Mnemonic when he doubled his capacity by using compression.

Johnny Mnemonic: You can't shoot me.

Villian: Not in the head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX5i-_350tE
Proud founder of the blu-bloods.
Use "blu-blood" in your signature and become an elite user.

To be blu-blooded is commitment to the blu-ray technology. We believe other forms of HD media are inferior. Our goal is educate, support and propagate blu-ray.

Creatures of Hard Media
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=43882

Last edited by tron3; 07-02-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology