Best Wii U Game Deals

Best Wii U Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed (Wii U)
$17.07

Hello Kitty Kruisers (Wii U)
$49.99

Sonic Lost World (Wii U)
$19.49

Splatoon (Wii U)
$54.45

Skylanders: Trap Team (Wii U)
$99.99

Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
$36.98

Tumblestone (Wii U)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo

Old 12-17-2018, 04:52 AM   #1
Banned

Mar 2018
Thumbs down This Holiday Is The Final Chance To Buy NES Or SNES Classics

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/12...-snes-classics

If you've been on a nostalgia kick for older games recently or want a miniconsole inside your TV stand for long-term gaming fun, your options are about to become quite a bit more limited. According to Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime, this holiday is your last real chance to grab either the NES or SNES Classics.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Fils-Aime talked a bit about the two products and what Nintendo's future plans are further consoles in the same ilk.

"We worked very hard, both for the NES Classic and the SNES Classic, to really have the best games that defined that generation," Fils-Aime told the outlet. "We’ve said that the current systems are the extent of our classic program. We’ve also been clear that, at least from an Americas perspective, these products are going to be available through the holiday season and once they sell out, they’re gone. And that’s it."

The wording is pretty unambiguous, Nintendo isn't going to be producing more of their NES and SNES Classic units, so the ones remaining on store shelves are all that's left. Outside of paying likely exorbitant prices for used versions from individual sellers, this is it.

From Fils-Aime's comments, it implies that Nintendo might be done with classic consoles as a whole, this is surprising as there's still materials left unmined in their back catalog. The Nintendo executive was pretty clear, though, that they plan to be putting all their old game focus on the Switch.

"The way that consumers will be able to continue participating with our classic content is going to be through Nintendo Switch Online, and we just released three new games from the NES generation onto that platform. We look at that as the main way that consumers will be able to experience that legacy content," Fils-Aime said.

The statement is direct, but also doesn't directly say there won't be a Nintendo 64 Classic. It also seems to imply that Nintendo is open to putting SNES games on the Switch as part of their Nintendo Switch Online program, which currently has NES games and added a few more this month.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:22 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2017
Gotham City

I went earlier today and bought a 3rd SNES and a second NES.
Thanks given by:
x7q3 (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 06:18 AM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Both have been easy to get for a while, so no one really has an excuse at this point if they miss out.
Thanks given by:
Wingman1977 (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 03:14 PM   #4
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

I was able to snag an NES on launch day of re-release. I was able to snag an SNES about a week after launch. I’m good.

If anyone has the original release for the NES (2016 model), that’s a real collectors item, as they were nearly impossible to get. The box and circuit board are different from the re-release (2018 model).
Old 12-17-2018, 03:55 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

The only real different between the box for the older and newer NES Classic systems is that the newer release has an ESRB rating on the front of the box. The circuit board being different is a difference that can only be noticed if you bother opening up the unit which most people won't do.

While I'm sure in the eyes of a few crazy people one is more "collectible" than the other, the idea of such minor differences being of any real importance is asinine IMO (and I say this as someone who has the 2016 release).
Thanks given by:
Wingman1977 (12-17-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 02:34 PM   #6
Expert Member

Aug 2015

Glad I.ve got mine. Hope they don't fail someday.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:36 PM   #7
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2013
The dark underbelly of Anytown, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailking View Post
Glad I.ve got mine. Hope they don't fail someday.
I just received an nes classic for Christmas, but it has no protection plan.

It was so cheap that I worry about the durability factor.

...chances that it breaks within a year or two?
Old 01-11-2019, 02:54 AM   #8

Jan 2019

I hacked my SNES Classic and can now play Atari, NES, SNES, Genesis, Gameboy, and GBA games, and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. I've got like 1,200 games on it at the moment and now I'm worried that if this breaks I'll have to either pay big bucks for a replace your, or have to go back to my RetroPie, which I don't want to due be of the input lag. I think I may pick up another SNES Classic, or maybe an NES Classic, just to have as a backup.

I'm bummed out that Nintendo is no longer going to produce mini classic systems as I was hoping to see a N64 Classic and a GameCube Classic sometime down the road. But maybe this move will prompt them to bring these classic games to the Switch sooner or later...
Old 03-19-2019, 08:09 PM   #9
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

I am sad as well, if I had known this was going to happen, I would've grabbed one of each during the holidays, just in case.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:44 PM   #10

Apr 2019

I'll have to grab an extra of each when I see them next. Luckily, they're pretty readily available still.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:51 AM   #11
Expert Member

Jan 2019

I have a spare of each. I'm silly like that.
Thanks given by:
AeroK (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 02:25 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
DFW TX

Call me silly, too. I have spares of each.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo