Best Wii U Game Deals

Best Wii U Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed (Wii U)
$17.07

Hello Kitty Kruisers (Wii U)
$49.99

Sonic Lost World (Wii U)
$19.49

Splatoon (Wii U)
$51.36
4 hrs ago
Skylanders: Trap Team (Wii U)
$99.99

Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
$36.98

Tumblestone (Wii U)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo

Old 11-16-2016, 06:50 PM   #21
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadaluholla View Post
True, but with my physical games, I can finish them and resell them or trade them, which is why I don't bother spending much money on digital only or apps.

Kind of the same with movies now also. I don't rent or buy digital movies/shows outside of streaming services
LMAO! 9.99 isn't that much money.

In the meantime, I think this looks great!

Old 11-16-2016, 07:04 PM   #22
Expert Member

Jan 2010

What can I say, I'm cheap. But if you want to send me 10 bucks I'll be glad to try it out [emoji6]
Old 11-16-2016, 08:03 PM   #23
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

I know it's unlikely, but if this ever gets released on the switch (as a $10 download title in which you can either use the touch screen or an actual controller), I will likely buy it. But as a rule, I don't "buy" game aps for my phone. I'm already not thrilled about spending money on digital download games for consoles as it is, but spending money on them on phones is where I draw the line.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:16 PM   #24
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
I know it's unlikely, but if this ever gets released on the switch (as a $10 download title in which you can either use the touch screen or an actual controller), I will likely buy it. But as a rule, I don't "buy" game aps for my phone. I'm already not thrilled about spending money on digital download games for consoles as it is, but spending money on them on phones is where I draw the line.
That's why the shitty free 2 play mobile model needs to change. The quality of these games will never get better with attitudes like that and the stuff that comes out that IS of good quality will get buried under the millions and millions of crappy F2P apps that are out there.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:40 PM   #25
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
That's why the shitty free 2 play mobile model needs to change. The quality of these games will never get better with attitudes like that and the stuff that comes out that IS of good quality will get buried under the millions and millions of crappy F2P apps that are out there.
F2P was never a good idea in general IMO on mobile or any other format.

But even if F2P had never even become a "thing," I would still have issues with mobile gaming.

As it is, I'm not even thrilled with downloadable content (be it paid for or free) on gaming consoles or any other device for the concern of long term access to the content (i.e. when one day an older system is retired, they will likely shut down servers allowing games to be redownloaded). The only silver lining is that I do keep my consoles long term, so as long as the system continues to work, I can play the downloaded game even if it cannot be redownloaded. As it is I recently ordered an extra PS3 on top of the two that I already have to have additional back ups of my digital content for that system.

But when it comes to mobile phone gaming, I just don't see it as a serious gaming platform for a few reasons.

One is kind of a rehash of my long term access concern. Games/apps have been delisted (even ones that people have previously paid for). When you upgrade your phone, there is little to no recourse to get that back (at least with consoles like the 360 and PS3, even if something gets delisted from being purchased going forward, those who previously paid for it can redownload it again, as long as server support is there). This is a separate issue from server support as the servers are still there, but in some instances the content has been removed. And if the phone breaks or the data doesn't transfer to a new phone properly, and the game is delisted, then it's just gone with no way to get it back. Even if the old phone is still functional, I have no desire to hang onto old smart phones when upgrading to a new model like I do with game consoles and handheld systems. Plus phone batteries are basically crap after a couple of years, so keeping an older phone working properly long term is an uphill battle.

Aside from that, I just don't see a mobile phone with a touch screen as a "serious" gaming device, even by the most forgiving standards (i.e. those of a typical 'casual' gamer who plays games on consoles and/or a PC).

A touch screen is severely limited. It can work alright for certain types of games, but in most instances it pales in comparison to a decent gamepad IMO. And I know there are gamepad attachments out there for smart phones, but having to carry an extra peripheral/attachment like that kind of defeats the entire purpose of the "convenience" of having games on the phone that you are already carrying around with you anyway. That instead requires one to carry around something extra that they wouldn't be otherwise just to play certain games properly, and if that's the case, then I may as well be carrying my 3DS with me instead.

Mobile phone gaming IMO is just a huge catch-22. While I despise the F2P model (and especially hate that in some instances it has weaseled it's way over to game consoles), I can see why it has become prevalent on smart phones. For a lot of people, mobile phone games are mostly a way to "kill time" when someone is "out and about," has some down time, and already has their phone on them. As such, from a gaming standpoint, it's not really something that a lot of people are going to want to "invest" a lot of money into, even if they don't share or consider the concerns that I have over long term issues with digital distribution.

I'll pay money for a game for something like the 3DS or Vita because while I can take it with me, often times they games are interesting enough to be played even at home sitting on the couch. I have absolutely no desire to be doing that with my smart phone. The only time I reluctantly did so a few years ago was with the Injustice Gods Among Us app (which IMO is a terrible mobile game) in order to unlock extra costumes in the console game. Once I accomplished that, I stopped playing it. And when the same company did something similar with Mortal Kombat X, I said screw it and didn't even bother (even though I'm normally one to really enjoy things like extra costumes).

It's just a really crappy way to play games IMO. It only really works well for certain types of very simple games, and more often than not they are so simple that they aren't worth spending too much money on.

Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; 11-16-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Thanks given by:
dadaluholla (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 10:08 PM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Yeah, I won't drop money on digital content either, be it games or movies. Thankfully many of the great digital games have been making it over to disc as of late!
Old 11-16-2016, 10:27 PM   #27
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Yeah, I won't drop money on digital content either, be it games or movies. Thankfully many of the great digital games have been making it over to disc as of late!
I reluctantly have a decent amount of digital content on some consoles. I'm not thrilled with that content not being on a disc or something akin to it, but some games or add-on content were things I wanted and had no other way to obtain.

The overall problem though even effects free updates and patches. If a game is released on a physical disc and has a ton of glitches that are fixed via a downloaded patch, and they never make or offer a replacement/updated disc with the corrections on it, then you are forever dependent on access to that digitally distributed content in order to be able to play the game properly. But I digress as this is way off topic from the overall thread.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:54 PM   #28
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
I reluctantly have a decent amount of digital content on some consoles. I'm not thrilled with that content not being on a disc or something akin to it, but some games or add-on content were things I wanted and had no other way to obtain.

The overall problem though even effects free updates and patches. If a game is released on a physical disc and has a ton of glitches that are fixed via a downloaded patch, and they never make or offer a replacement/updated disc with the corrections on it, then you are forever dependent on access to that digitally distributed content in order to be able to play the game properly. But I digress as this is way off topic from the overall thread.
Precisely. Like it or not, digital distribution IS the future. Those of you clinging to physical media are either going to have to eventually fall in line or find another hobby. It's as inevitable as death and taxes.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:44 AM   #29
Expert Member

Jan 2010

Tell that to all these people desperately trying to track down the new mini Nintendo. If only they knew the games were available digitally. [emoji849]
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 08:17 AM   #30
Expert Member

Mar 2011
Massachusetts

Quote:
Tell that to all these people desperately trying to track down the new mini Nintendo. If only they knew the games were available digitally. [emoji849]
lol I'm sure that most people are well aware of the countless emulators out there. Unfortunately, I think you failed to realize that some people (myself included) have no interest in obtaining and playing games on some 3rd party emulator with a controller that may mimic the original, but will never be the same. Even the digital games Nintendo offers through its' store pale in comparison to the emulation the mini offers.

The feeling I get when playing those games on the original console with the original controller is unlike anything I can explain. You can't get nostalgia like that anywhere else. Not to mention that this product isn't some cheap knockoff from a company you never heard of before. This is an official Nintendo product, and personally, I support this console fully. I think this is the only NES emulator people should be looking for.

Also, if this sells well enough, then I'm certain Nintendo will put the SNES mini into production, followed by the inevitable N64 mini!! Rumble built in to the controllers. System preloaded with star fox, the original smash bros., goldeneye, Super Mario 64. A man can dream right?

I hope this continues to sell like hot cakes.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:24 AM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiC. UHD View Post
lol I'm sure that most people are well aware of the countless emulators out there. Unfortunately, I think you failed to realize that some people (myself included) have no interest in obtaining and playing games on some 3rd party emulator with a controller that may mimic the original, but will never be the same. Even the digital games Nintendo offers through its' store pale in comparison to the emulation the mini offers.

The feeling I get when playing those games on the original console with the original controller is unlike anything I can explain. You can't get nostalgia like that anywhere else. Not to mention that this product isn't some cheap knockoff from a company you never heard of before. This is an official Nintendo product, and personally, I support this console fully. I think this is the only NES emulator people should be looking for.

Also, if this sells well enough, then I'm certain Nintendo will put the SNES mini into production, followed by the inevitable N64 mini!! Rumble built in to the controllers. System preloaded with star fox, the original smash bros., goldeneye, Super Mario 64. A man can dream right?

I hope this continues to sell like hot cakes.
you missed the point
Old 11-17-2016, 06:20 PM   #32
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

Quote:
The NES mini is just digital games too. It is the same game on a Wii, Wii U, or NES mini. granted the emulator the mini uses seems to be better, but the games are digital games and exactly the same.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:31 PM   #33
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2009
Camp Crystal lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyOfDarknessAW View Post
I can't believe how many people are against this for $10. There is a reason the mobile market is in such shambles. The market doesn't except much that isn't free or $0.99. The race to the bottom made people not think these games carry value. This is a full Mario game with standard levels. This isn't an endless runner like I see people talking about. People are trying to compare this to Temple Run. This game uses the endless runner template on a standard Mario game. This game has regular levels though. I can't understand how that isn't worth only $10.
But aint it just a runner like Fun Run but just in Mario format? You cant control him or go backwards right. It straight forward with jumping right? Got Em!!
Old 11-17-2016, 10:05 PM   #34
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Quote:
The NES mini is just digital games too. It is the same game on a Wii, Wii U, or NES mini. granted the emulator the mini uses seems to be better, but the games are digital games and exactly the same.
But they aren't downloads. That's the difference. If someone buys an NES mini now, and down the road it stops working, even if they are out of production, they can buy a used replacement on ebay or something and use it just the same.

With games downloaded to the Wii or Wii U, you aren't supposed to resell a system with already downloaded games on it, and even if people were to do that anyway, assuming that someday the servers are shut down to buy/redownload the games on those systems, it could be a crapshoot even trying to find one with all of the games that someone wants already on it.

For all intents and purposes, the NES mini, itself, is both the system and physical media distribution method for the included games (hence, even though the games, themselves, are technically digital, the method of delivery is not digital distribution).
Thanks given by:
spawningblue (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 10:07 PM   #35
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZAR View Post
But aint it just a runner like Fun Run but just in Mario format? You cant control him or go backwards right. It straight forward with jumping right? Got Em!!
Not all levels of standard Mario could you go backwards because the level moved. It is normal standard Mario levels with different paths just done in easy to control format of an endless runner. The levels still have the poles at the end.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:10 PM   #36
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2009
Camp Crystal lake

Quote:
Not all levels of standard Mario could you go backwards because the level moved. It is normal standard Mario levels with different paths just done in easy to control format of an endless runner. The levels still have the poles at the end.
Ok. Got Em!!
Old 11-17-2016, 10:14 PM   #37
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

Quote:
But they aren't downloads. That's the difference. If someone buys an NES mini now, and down the road it stops working, even if they are out of production, they can buy a used replacement on ebay or something and use it just the same.

With games downloaded to the Wii or Wii U, you aren't supposed to resell a system with already downloaded games on it, and even if people were to do that anyway, assuming that someday the servers are shut down to buy/redownload the games on those systems, it could be a crapshoot even trying to find one with all of the games that someone wants already on it.

For all intents and purposes, the NES mini, itself, is both the system and physical media distribution method for the included games (hence, even though the games, themselves, are technically digital, the method of delivery is not digital distribution).
I'm not even going to go down this road. This is a complete fear of change and a need to try to rationalize why one "digital" game is better than another. It is the exact same code...the exact same game. The same games that have been sold over and over and over. If the NES mini failed to even exist people would have many different ways to still play these games. Everyone that is so worried about change needs to accept digital is becoming a thing and of you don't like it find another hobby.

Btw I don't even have internet in my damn house AT ALL and im less worried about digital games than you people... seriously. My only internet is the LTE on my phone. My digital games on my Xbox seem to work just fine though and they will continue to be there.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:17 PM   #38
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Quote:
You are kind of grasping at straws a little bit with that argument, with all due respect.

You are comparing select levels in a regular Mario game to an entire game of just him running.

Even in levels that forced the movement forward, which overall are few and far between.. or even in some games (i.e. SMB1) where you couldn't go backwards to anything that has already gone out of frame from the left side of the screen, you could still otherwise freely move Mario as you wish within those limits, having more overall control (including getting and using power ups and so forth).

This game appears to be him, by default, just running constantly, and basically the player just makes him jump as needed to avoid obstacles. Even if the levels resemble "normal" Mario levels, the overly simplistic and limited control scheme changes the dynamic significantly to something lesser than a standard Mario game.

Within the standards and limits of mobile phone gaming, it will probably be 'decent,' but that's not exactly a high bar to begin with. Nintendo making a decent mobile phone game is kind of like a college calculus professor acing a first grade math test.... technically it's done well, but it's not really that impressive.
Thanks given by:
CZAR (11-17-2016), spawningblue (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 10:25 PM   #39
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Quote:
I'm not even going to go down this road. This is a complete fear of change and a need to try to rationalize why one "digital" game is better than another. It is the exact same code...the exact same game. The same games that have been sold over and over and over. If the NES mini failed to even exist people would have many different ways to still play these games. Everyone that is so worried about change needs to accept digital is becoming a thing and of you don't like it find another hobby.

Btw I don't even have internet in my damn house AT ALL and im less worried about digital games than you people... seriously. My only internet is the LTE on my phone. My digital games on my Xbox seem to work just fine though and they will continue to be there.
But by that argument, technically the original NES cartridges were "digital," as has been pretty much every cartridge or disc based gaming format. The difference is that, for example, I can easily go on ebay or something and buy a copy of Turtles in Time for SNES. However, if someone wants to buy the Turtles in Time Reshelled updated/remade/remastered version of the arcade game that was released for download on Xbox 360 and PS3 a few years back, they are **** out of luck, as it can no longer be purchased since the license that Ubisoft had for TMNT has long since expired. For now, it can be redownloaded by those who previously bought it, but that option likely won't be around forever either.

I'm less worried about losing access to common NES games, specifically, since there are many ways, both official and unofficial, to play them. But since the NES mini was specifically being commented on, and you were arguing that the games on it were "digital" just the same as the downloads for Wii U, I was simply making a point to the contrary because the distribution method is different, making one more easily reaccessed in the exact same form years down the road than the other in the event of a malfunction of some kind.

I'm more concerned about games that may not get future re-releases on future systems that get delisted (the aforementioned Turtles in Time Reshelled being just one such example).

I do have a decent amount of digital content on my applicable consoles. But the problem with the attitude of "My digital games on my Xbox seem to work just fine though and they will continue to be there," is that you take for granted that they will always continue to be there. If they stop supporting that console down the road, the servers are shut down, and your system breaks/hard drive crashes, that's the end of access to those games. By contrast, earlier this year I discovered that my original Sega Saturn system was no longer working, was able to buy a replacement (I actually got a couple of replacements), and I can pop in my old games and still play them just fine. Had digital distribution been around in the mid 90s during the time of that system, considering that Sega has now been out of the console business for about 15 years now, I highly doubt the servers would still be up and running to allow me to redownload games to it now.

As I said, I do have some digital content, so I don't completely refuse to use it when it's the only option. Still, I am fundamentally and principally against it as a preferred distribution method over physical media because with physical media, it's far easier to track down a working replacement for something without being dependent on continued network server support from the console manufacturer and all past content still being available to be redownloaded.

I will continue to bring this up whenever it is applicable because it is something that I'm concerned about, and too many people just haven't put any real thought into it and just assume that because their games work now, they always will and there will never be a problem. But when and if it does eventually bite them in the rear end, many of them will likely complain very loudly over it. It's kind of like ignoring global warming until it's too late, albeit on a lesser, more recreational scale.

Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; 11-17-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:41 PM   #40
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

Quote:
But by that argument, technically the original NES cartridges were "digital," as has been pretty much every cartridge or disc based gaming format. The difference is that, for example, I can easily go on ebay or something and buy a copy of Turtles in Time for SNES. However, if someone wants to buy the Turtles in Time Reshelled updated/remade/remastered version of the arcade game that was released for download on Xbox 360 and PS3 a few years back, they are **** out of luck, as it can no longer be purchased since the license that Ubisoft had for TMNT has long since expired. For now, it can be redownloaded by those who previously bought it, but that option likely won't be around forever either.

I'm less worried about losing access to common NES games, specifically, since there are many ways, both official and unofficial, to play them. Since the NES mini was specifically being commented on, and you were arguing that the games on it were "digital" just the same as the downloads for Wii U, I was simply making a point to the contrary because the distribution method is different, making one more easily reaccessed in the exact same form years down the road than the other.

I'm more concerned about games that may not get future re-releases on future systems that get delisted (the aforementioned Turtles in Time Reshelled being just one such example).

I do have a decent amount of digital content on my applicable consoles. But the problem with the attitude of "My digital games on my Xbox seem to work just fine though and they will continue to be there," is that you take for granted that they will always continue to be there. If they stop supporting that console down the road, the servers are shut down, and your system breaks/hard drive crashes, that's the end of access to those games. By contrast, earlier this year I discovered that my original Sega Saturn system was no longer working, was able to buy a replacement (I actually got a couple of replacements), and I can pop in my old games and still play them just fine.

As I said, I do have some digital content, so I don't completely refuse to use it when it's the only option. Still, I am fundamentally and principally against it as a preferred distribution method over physical media because with physical media, it's far easier to track down a working replacement for something without being dependent on continued network server support from the console manufacturer and all past content still being available to be redownloaded.

I will continue to bring this up whenever it is applicable because it is something that I'm concerned about, and too many people just haven't put any real thought into it and just assume that because their games work now, they always will and there will never be a problem. But when and if it does eventually bite them in the rear end, many of them will likely complain very loudly over it. It's kind of like ignoring global warming until it's too late, albeit on a lesser, more recreational scale.
I can boil this down to fear of the unknown. I'm not going to live my life thinking about the what if's in life. If you want to worry about Microsoft and Sony shutting down and such that is your business. I'm going to live in the here and now and enjoy games as they are be it digital or the disc. That's all the anti digital argument is anyway is fear of the potential future.

Btw I have 703 games on Steam and LOVE it. Screw this being afraid of digital.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo