Best Prime Deals

Best Prime Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness UHD (Prime)
$9.99

Bullet Train (Prime)
$4.99

Nope UHD (Prime)
$9.99
1 day ago
Thor: Love and Thunder HD (Prime)
$9.99

Thor: Love and Thunder HD (Prime)
$9.99

Eternals HD (Prime)
$9.99

Black Widow (Prime)
$9.99
1 day ago
Captain America: The Winter Soldier UHD (Prime)
$9.99
1 day ago
Doctor Strange UHD (Prime)
$9.99
1 day ago
Iron Man HD (Prime)
$9.99
1 day ago
Thor HD (Prime)
$9.99
1 day ago
Thor: Ragnarok HD (Prime)
$9.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 08-07-2017, 01:55 PM   #21
Special Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingo View Post
So I need to up my bandwidth to get 1080p all the time, yes?
If your streaming then yes. Amazon can go as high as 15mbps an as low as 0mbps (not that it would) on picture but with the variable bitrate it can go up and down depending on if the scene needs it and also to bear in mind the audio is 640k constant.
Thanks given by:
stingo (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #22
Special Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrarg View Post
iTunes and vudu are lagging behind a bit in picture quality and googleplay is just the worst quality of any streaming provider
iTunes is about 5mpbs and not worth the time and effort to look at for me and is worse then amazon. The only advantage you got with them is you can download it but they look terrible but to those who are who are unable to get good broadband then iTunes is a good choice for them.

Google play is an oddball. Here in the UK I have redeem some of my FOX codes but to get better picture and 5.1 audio I have to use YouTube app. The official google play store app the picture looks worse and no 5.1 audio compared to the YouTube app and its from the same bloody provider.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:06 PM   #23

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazeruk View Post
If your streaming then yes. Amazon can go as high as 15mbps an as low as 0mbps (not that it would) on picture but with the variable bitrate it can go up and down depending on if the scene needs it and also to bear in mind the audio is 640k constant.
Yes, I am streaming. The only exception is when I download the show/movie to my Kindle. Thanks very much for your help!
Old 08-27-2017, 12:28 AM   #24
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazeruk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingo View Post
Yes, I am streaming. The only exception is when I download the show/movie to my Kindle. Thanks very much for your help!
With DSL Speeds of 6.5Mbps it's not going to cut it for good Video Streaming, especially if you want 1080P. I Stream both Amazon and Vudu, and started with 15Mbps Symmetrical because I have FTTH. My Streaming was not consistent until they bumped it up to 50+Mbps, now I'm around 75Mbps. The other thing I strongly suggest is being Hard Wired, and only leave Wireless to Remote Devices. My Streaming now is Rock Solid!
Old 04-21-2018, 08:48 PM   #25

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
Wow, first I've heard of someone saying Amazon movies look better than iTunes movies. Not sure why you're doing the comparison on a computer anyways but the default is 720p when downloading iTunes movies to your computer. You need to make sure your preferences in iTunes is set to 1080p.

As someone who has access to both iTunes and Amazon movies, the difference in quality is like night and day. iTunes movies are much more closer to Blu-Ray quality while Amazon are more closer to DVD quality. Of course, watching movies on a small computer screen isn't going to show that, you really need a large screen HDTV.

Absolute rubbish, Amazon bitrate is usually over double iTunes, you obviously haven't seen a direct 1080p stream capture of both side by side. Watch a grainy movie on iTunes and see the compression wipe away all that detail similar to dnr, where as Amazon at close to 15mbps (usuall average 14.4) on most movies at least has a good attempt at maintaining quality as long as the source is good.

Last edited by x5gb; 04-21-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:43 PM   #26

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
With DSL Speeds of 6.5Mbps it's not going to cut it for good Video Streaming, especially if you want 1080P. I Stream both Amazon and Vudu, and started with 15Mbps Symmetrical because I have FTTH. My Streaming was not consistent until they bumped it up to 50+Mbps, now I'm around 75Mbps. The other thing I strongly suggest is being Hard Wired, and only leave Wireless to Remote Devices. My Streaming now is Rock Solid!
It's good enough for now. I may look into Comcast for a higher bandwidth option as that is the only other option in my area) if Fios doesn't find its way here.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Amazon Prime Video