Best Prime Deals

Best Prime Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness UHD (Prime)
$9.99

Nope UHD (Prime)
$9.99

Thor: Love and Thunder HD (Prime)
$9.99

Thor: Love and Thunder HD (Prime)
$9.99

Eternals HD (Prime)
$9.99

Bullet Train (Prime)
$4.99

Black Widow (Prime)
$9.99

Captain America: The Winter Soldier UHD (Prime)
$9.99

Thor: Ragnarok HD (Prime)
$9.99

Iron Man HD (Prime)
$9.99

Doctor Strange HD (Prime)
$9.99

Doctor Strange UHD (Prime)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Amazon Prime Video

Old 11-02-2020, 10:42 PM   #81
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
It’s a mess, digital fans have paid for a film in HD or 4K and can’t watch it back on a laptop or desktop. That’s a pretty crappy deal if you enjoy watching that way (sadly some do prefer that).
Repeating it often doesn't make it any more true. There are many ways to watch digital movies on a computer, particularly MA movies.

OTOH, there is no way to watch BDs on a Mac, and good luck squeezing a disc into a modern slim laptop.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:54 PM   #82
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
Repeating it often doesn't make it any more true. There are many ways to watch digital movies on a computer, particularly MA movies.

OTOH, there is no way to watch BDs on a Mac, and good luck squeezing a disc into a modern slim laptop.
Wouldn't want to try.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (11-05-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 01:08 AM   #83
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
I won’t argue with that. I’m really amazed at how disc players rarely fail. In fact, my first DVD player from 2000 never died, but I just chucked it as I upgraded to an upconverting DVD player in 2007. And that upconverting player still works... 13 years old and still going strong (that’s the Sony DVD player in my signature). Ive used it a lot too so I’m pretty amazing how durable these disc players are. Even my PS2 never died but I just sold it as I don’t play video games anymore.
My original DVD player that I bought in 1999 was still working when I gifted to to a family member years ago. They ended up getting rid of it after buying a Blu-ray player. I currently have four players hooked up to my main setup, if you count the PS4. My six year old Oppo works like a charm on a daily basis.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:24 PM   #84
Banned

Aug 2007
BJ's Wholesale Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
My kids all have the “air” Mac laptops with no optical drive.

They do watch the digital copies that come with my physical copies.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:28 AM   #85

Dec 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by eledoremassis02 View Post
Did she try to sue without actually having damaged?? Lol!
Old 11-12-2020, 06:40 AM   #86
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2007
California

This is why physical media is the best.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (10-21-2021), neoz (07-15-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 04:48 AM   #87

Jul 2021

Yap, the user pays for a limited license for "on-demand viewing indefinitely". I have been a premium subscriber of Amazon Music for many years, and I know very well that once the subscription is not renewed, I can no longer listen to the downloaded songs. I hate this very much. If I change to another device that does not support Amazon Music, what should I do with my songs? In fact, I did encounter such a problem. My solution can only be to use Tunelf Amatune Audio Converter to download the songs from Amazon and save them to the local device, and then manually move to the new device.
Thanks given by:
Froggy0705 (07-16-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 02:15 AM   #88

May 2021

Is anyone having new or recent problems regarding this issue? Amazon is my go to and while I know that digital is the riskiest of movie collecting, it's made things so much easier for me. I make sure to keep track of my collections and so far have not ran into any problems with things disappearing. Even when a movie or show is no longer available for purchase, mine has remained in my collection and playable too.

I read on a small blog that a user lost one movie from her collection but since Amazon has records of all our purchases, she was easily refunded for it. I think many of the arguments here have been extremely exaggerated out of (reasonable) fears. Trust me, I still hold these same fears every time I buy something digital. But I highly doubt anything will happen in the next 20+ years. Of course I could be wrong but there's a bigger chance of a natural disaster hitting my area sooner and losing everything all the same.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:20 AM   #89
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
NYC

On the Apple front:

Quote:
New lawsuit against Apple alleging “buy” button is false and deceptive for digital transactions. @hoofnagle and I have been pushing this theory for years. Glad to see a case brought in NY, where per-transaction statutory damages are on the table

Trenis McTyere, Lucille Clark v. Apple, Class Action
Quote:
Worth noting that an earlier CA against Amazon was just dismissed. That court was wrong. The injury is that digital goods are overpriced by virtue of misrepresenting the rights being sold. That’s true regardless of whether a consumer, in fact, lost access.
Quote:
And for anyone who hasn’t already heard me bang this drum 1000 times, here’s the empirical evidence that “buy now” is deceptive. https://www.pennlawreview.com/2020/0...en-we-buy-now/
Old 10-21-2021, 11:55 AM   #90
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
alternates between Papua New Guinea and Pennsylvania

You are buying something - a license which has limitations and is subject to change. That's why smart people buy things that come with a physical product that can only be taken away by force.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:38 PM   #91
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011

Well, that's the thing with digital purchases. It's more of a long rental you eventually lose access.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Amazon Prime Video